Wimbledon Seeding Information [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimbledon Seeding Information

Devotee
06-13-2005, 04:02 AM
from Wimbledon website:

A simplified form of seeding was introduced in 1924 when up to four representatives of a nation were drawn in four different quarters of the draw. In 1927 full seeding was carried out and competitors were selected according to ability irrespective of nationality.
. . . . .
Seeding has been based on computer rankings since 1975.

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 04:04 AM
Erm?

I suppose that you could take a very loose interpretation "based on the computer rankings" to mean "based on a recalculation of the current computer rankings and past grass results" and this would hold true.

But didn't they used to just do whatever they felt like, or is that ignorance on my part? I remember they used to promote players from outside the top 16 because there was outrage over it :shrug:

Spadea df Rusedski, anybody?

Devotee
06-13-2005, 04:06 AM
I don't exactly understand this statement:

Seeding has been based on computer rankings since 1975.

Haute
06-13-2005, 04:07 AM
I think the last line is supposed to be the most important one, since there's no mention of their grass results system to determine the seeds.

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 04:09 AM
I think the last line is supposed to be the most important one, since there's no mention of their grass results system to determine the seeds.
But the grass results system has been used within the given time period. So wtf are they talking about? :shrug:

Haute
06-13-2005, 04:10 AM
I don't know...do I look like the Wimbledon director to you? :p

buddyholly
06-13-2005, 04:12 AM
Yes, but another thread said that they accept the rankings for the 32 seeds, BUT THEN they reserve the right to shuffle these as they see fit.

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 05:22 AM
I don't know...do I look like the Wimbledon director to you? :p
Yes :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 05:22 AM
Yes, but another thread said that they accept the rankings for the 32 seeds, BUT THEN they reserve the right to shuffle these as they see fit.
But they didn't always do that.

In which case their website is lying :p

robinhood
06-13-2005, 05:25 AM
AGHHH...
Perhaps those Wimbledon people don't know what they are talking about at all.

crouching
06-13-2005, 07:51 AM
But they didn't always do that.

In which case their website is lying :p

Of course they didn't always do it.

Pre-2001, when the Slams only had 16 seeds, Wimbledon used to seed players outside of the top 16 on a regular basis. Whatever method they used during that time, it appeared to be loosely based on ranking points.

After the Costa-Corretja-Ferrero boycott of 2000, the four Slam tournaments decided to deal with this situation with a compromise. All four Slams would increase to 32 seeds. Each Slam reserves the right to re-order the 32 seeds in any way, except that those 32 seeds must be the 32 highest-ranked players who entered the tournament.

Of course now we know that Wimbledon employs some sort of seeding formula. The only thing is that we don't know what the formula is - they usually don't disclose that information. However, when the actual seeds list is published, it doesn't take a lot of mathematical skill to reverse-engineer the results to obtain the formula.

MuleBoy
06-13-2005, 10:19 AM
I think the formula is something like this:

Entry ranking points + points earned on grass in last two years (x4 if their name is Henman or Rusedski) = seeded position ;)

robinhood
06-13-2005, 10:38 AM
I think the formula is something like this:

Entry ranking points + points earned on grass in last two years (x4 if their name is Henman or Rusedski) = seeded position ;)

:lol:

Scotso
06-13-2005, 11:29 AM
Based on doesn't mean equal. It's just like sometimes you see "based on the novel by ...." at the beginning of the movies, but then only the character names are the same and the rest of it is totally different.

star
06-13-2005, 12:00 PM
Yeah... but you know how in some movies instead of saying based on the book or based on the life of whoever, they say "inspired by the book" or "inspired by the life" because the movie is so far off from the book or the life?

I think Wimbledon should say "Since 1975, seedings have been inspired by computer rankings." :lol: :lol:

Scotso
06-13-2005, 12:02 PM
:haha: loves it.

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 06:10 PM
Based on doesn't mean equal. It's just like sometimes you see "based on the novel by ...." at the beginning of the movies, but then only the character names are the same and the rest of it is totally different.
Yeah, I think I covered that in my sarcastic little way. That doesnt' change the fact that they are still full of shit :p