** Third time's the charm for the Roddick Express at Wimbledon 2005! ** [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

** Third time's the charm for the Roddick Express at Wimbledon 2005! **

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

tangerine_dream
06-12-2005, 11:25 PM
We need a Wimbledon thread. :dance:

Andy's due to win this tournament. This year. Now. Today. Third time's the charm, Andy. First a semifinalist, then a finalist, this year----CHAMPION! :banana:

We're movin' on uuupp....to the tooooppp....of the deeelux apartment in the skyyyy.... :music:

Volcanic Tennis
06-12-2005, 11:27 PM
Amen! :) Go Andy!

Cool thread Tangy :)

superpinkone37
06-12-2005, 11:28 PM
:D:D:D

jessa007
06-12-2005, 11:30 PM
:rocker2: Who's ready to rock at Wimbly?

guida
06-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Now is the time to set things right
Now is the time we should unite...
(cheesy old 70's song :lol: )

It's your year, Andy! Wimbledon!!! :rocker2: :bounce:

Tytta!.
06-12-2005, 11:47 PM
:rocker2:

williaer
06-12-2005, 11:47 PM
love the thread, tangy!

*chants* lets go andy, lets go *clap clap*
im so pumped about wimbly, he was playing so well in queens, and rogerer, getting pushed to 3 sets by "mr. grass is my least fav surface" shows that andy could...

whoop fed, any day, any time... (on grass - centre court wimbledon - 3rd july)

lets do it andy!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

surfpinky
06-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Andy's got Wimbledon in the bag. http://www.funfilesandsmiles.com/smilies/2139.gif

blosson
06-13-2005, 12:19 AM
aww Wimbledon!

Well it was a happy ending for the "kick ass on grass" thread afterall :)

Andy said in an interview he's moving from central London to... is he moving to my neighbourhood?

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 12:27 AM
:rocker2: Go Andy!

LOL, he can kick Federer's butt this year (=

RodLo
06-13-2005, 01:16 AM
Woot woot! Here comes the Andy train...ready to crush everything in its path. ALL ABOARD, we're heading for the CHAMPIONSHIP! :woohoo:

Oh boy...I got a little excited there. Breathe...breathe...just breathe, Lauren. :o

andyroxmysox12191
06-13-2005, 01:23 AM
*crosses fingers* let's not jinx him :p But cmon andy! Win...otherwise I shall kill you at the USO :angel:

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 01:30 AM
Woot woot! Here comes the Andy train...ready to crush everything in its path. ALL ABOARD, we're heading for the CHAMPIONSHIP! :woohoo:

Oh boy...I got a little excited there. Breathe...breathe...just breathe, Lauren. :o

LOL XD You're hilarious :)

*buys a ticket for the train*

RodLo
06-13-2005, 01:45 AM
LOL XD You're hilarious :)

*buys a ticket for the train*

I know. ;) :p

RodLo
06-13-2005, 01:45 AM
*crosses fingers* let's not jinx him :p

:tape:

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 01:47 AM
XD I just read the quotes in your sig... They're hilarious XD Exactly why I love Andy :) He's just such a nice dude... Especially cuz of the autograph one... I'd never thought of it that way before...

RodLo
06-13-2005, 01:49 AM
XD I just read the quotes in your sig... They're hilarious XD Exactly why I love Andy :) He's just such a nice dude... Especially cuz of the autograph one... I'd never thought of it that way before...

*sigh* Yeah.......Andy.....:hearts: ;)

jessa007
06-13-2005, 01:52 AM
RodLo did you post on AR.com? What was your username?

RodLo
06-13-2005, 01:56 AM
Yep, I did. I was LMichelleS. :angel:

jessa007
06-13-2005, 01:57 AM
Ahh Lauren! They miss you over there! http://www.funfilesandsmiles.com/smilies/457.gif

RodLo
06-13-2005, 01:59 AM
Pft, miss me? :ras: Naw...I think they were all ready to get rid of me. ;) :lol:

jessa007
06-13-2005, 02:00 AM
Ok well I miss you over there. You were one of the sane ones.

RodLo
06-13-2005, 02:02 AM
Aww, shucks. ;) :hug:

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 02:10 AM
I love those quotes... That + his tennis game + (a bit) his looks = reason I love him !

RodLo
06-13-2005, 02:11 AM
I love those quotes... That + his tennis game + (a bit) his looks = reason I love him !

That's enough for me! ;)

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 02:13 AM
LOL :) This train ticket was expensive - it better get him to win it :LOL:

guida
06-13-2005, 02:15 AM
LOL :) This train ticket was expensive - it better get him to win it :LOL:

hahaha, that was a good one! :lol: :D

jessa007
06-13-2005, 02:16 AM
So are we sure Andy's going to be seeded second at Wimbly? I'd like it if he was at the opposite draw against Federer.

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 02:20 AM
Thanks :) Hey, Jessa, what part of our country are you from?

Deboogle!.
06-13-2005, 02:23 AM
So are we sure Andy's going to be seeded second at Wimbly? I'd like it if he was at the opposite draw against Federer.I believe the seeds are announced tomorrow (Monday). Then we'll know. It's not definite or certain yet that he will be #2.

jessa007
06-13-2005, 02:28 AM
Thanks :) Hey, Jessa, what part of our country are you from?

Western Ontario. :)

jessa007
06-13-2005, 02:28 AM
I believe the seeds are announced tomorrow (Monday). Then we'll know. It's not definite or certain yet that he will be #2.

Oh, ok thanks for letting me know.

acoffeygirl
06-13-2005, 02:38 AM
I just have to say....my what a difference a week makes. We are all in such a better mood!!! Yay for grass....Yay for Wimbledon....Yay for Andy!! :bounce: (OK...I'm off the drugs now!)

heya
06-13-2005, 02:46 AM
IT doesn't really matter where he's ranked. When he was #1, he didn't mind disappearing. If he wants to be back up there, he will focus on tennis, not on socializing.
Between October 2003-Jan. 2005, part of April 2005 & May 2005, Andy forced himself to be someone he wasn't.

RodLo
06-13-2005, 02:58 AM
I just have to say....my what a difference a week makes. We are all in such a better mood!!! Yay for grass....Yay for Wimbledon....Yay for Andy!! :bounce: (OK...I'm off the drugs now!)

Yeah....grass tends to do that. :smoke: ;) :lol:

Volcanic Tennis
06-13-2005, 03:00 AM
Grass was a boost of morale :)

I'm from Quebec, Jessa ^^

tangerine_dream
06-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Grass has its medicinal qualities. http://insaneindustry.com/images/smilies/banana_rasta.gif

RodLo
06-13-2005, 03:09 AM
Grass has its medicinal qualities. http://insaneindustry.com/images/smilies/banana_rasta.gif

...among other things. :lol:

Fumus
06-13-2005, 04:32 AM
Gosh I thought you were going to call this thread the "Roddank Redemption" named partially after Andy's favorite movie. Or you could call it, "American's eat Swiss cheese for breakfast" or sumtin like that.

Good win for Andy, hope he can still have kids after today....just not with that Bristish Lady Andy was flirting with...ewwww

MissFairy
06-13-2005, 09:33 AM
:haha: Awesome smiley :hug: :)

:music:#Grass is in the air, all the claycourters groaned,
Grass is in the air, oh how i'm very, very stoned# :music:

Roddicks back. New & improved just in time for Wimbledon. Now with extra ball grabbing :cool:

allanah
06-13-2005, 01:20 PM
We're movin' on uuupp....to the tooooppp....of the deeelux apartment in the skyyyy.... :music:

I don't really have anything to add to the fine points already made but Tangy - :worship: for that fine, and completely unexpected, insertion of "the Jeffersons" into an Andy thread. Quality :yeah:

Fumus
06-13-2005, 04:21 PM
I believe the seeds are announced tomorrow (Monday). Then we'll know. It's not definite or certain yet that he will be #2.

How can Andy be the number 2 seed? :confused:

Deboogle!.
06-13-2005, 04:23 PM
How can Andy be the number 2 seed? :confused:Because Wimbledon alters the seedings from the rankings. They take into account previous grass results. So Andy's 3 queens titles and wimby SF and Final will all count. Over the past couple years, Andy has done way better on grass than Lleyton, so he is way ahead in "grass points" - plus, they're only 50 points apart in the rankings. If lleyton had a huge lead or something, then Andy wouldn't be able to be seeded above him no matter what, but b/c it's only 50 points, there's a very good chance he will be seeded 2. They'll be announced Wednesday I guess.. not today.

Fumus
06-13-2005, 04:28 PM
Because Wimbledon alters the seedings from the rankings. They take into account previous grass results. So Andy's 3 queens titles and wimby SF and Final will all count. Over the past couple years, Andy has done way better on grass than Lleyton, so he is way ahead in "grass points" - plus, they're only 50 points apart in the rankings. If lleyton had a huge lead or something, then Andy wouldn't be able to be seeded above him no matter what, but b/c it's only 50 points, there's a very good chance he will be seeded 2. They'll be announced Wednesday I guess.. not today.

What about Rafa isn't he way above Lleyton and Andy?

Deboogle!.
06-13-2005, 04:30 PM
What about Rafa isn't he way above Lleyton and Andy?Uh no he's 40 points behind Lleyton and 10 points ahead of Andy. 10 Entry points is like NOTHING. It's like 1 round in a small tournament. And Rafa has done zero on grass. Andy will for sure be seeded above him.

Fumus
06-13-2005, 04:32 PM
Uh no he's 40 points behind Lleyton and 10 points ahead of Andy. 10 Entry points is like NOTHING. It's like 1 round in a small tournament. And Rafa has done zero on grass. Andy will for sure be seeded above him.

Yea, Deb stricly crazy talk here but, if you are Andy wouldn't you want to face Federwhore in the semis and not in finals since he is sooo money in finals this year and sooo not money in the semi-finals. :wavey:

tangerine_dream
06-13-2005, 05:10 PM
'Roddick's the main threat'
By Leo Spall, Evening Standard

Roger Federer has marked out Andy Roddick as the toughest player he could f ace at Wimbledon.

The world No1 may not have lost on grass for 29 matches but he knows the Stella Artois champion will pose a serious threat when the Championships begin next Monday.

Roddick won the title at Queen's for the third consecutive year, equalling the feat previously achieved by John McEnroe and Lleyton Hewitt.

But the American considered his straight-sets win over 6ft 10in Croatian Ivo Karlovic as little more than preparation for the main event.

Federer, meanwhile, was winning his third consecutive Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany. He beat Russian Marat Safin, 6-4, 6-7, 6-4 and has now won the last 20 finals he has played.

He said: "I would say Roddick would be my toughest opponent at Wimbledon, perhaps together with Hewitt."

Federer and Roddick played out last year's final, with the Swiss right-hander winning in four sets. Federer was also champion in 2003 when he beat Roddick in the semifinals and has dominated the game since.

Roddick describes Federer as "the clear-cut best player in the world" but the American said it might be different if they meet at Wimbledon.

In the last three years, the 22-year-old has learned how to make the most of his serve on grass and enjoys playing on the surface.

Success at Queen's has played a big part in that transformation.

Roddick said: "My game has improved a lot in the last few years. When I won the first time there, I hadn't had any great results on grass and I hadn't played well on it before. Now it's probably up there with my favourite surface.

"I think it's about getting used to it, and confidence. If you're confident, you feel like you can play on anything."

Or against anyone. Roddick may be seeded three for Wimbledon on Wednesday, behind Federer and another former champion, Hewitt.

It would mean when the draw is made he is likely to be put on a course to meet the Swiss before the final, but he is unfazed.

Roddick said: "I don't care about the seeding. As long as I am in the top four I am not going to throw a tantrum. If you are going to win a Grand Slam then you're going to have to beat the in-form players and the top men somewhere along the line."

Roddick's thoroughly predictable win against Karlovic will not have sent shivers down Federer's spine.

The American won 7-6, 7-6 and came close to breaking the Croatian's serve only once, in the second game, while being untroubled on his own.

The most interesting moment was his postmatch flirt with Sue Barker as the BBC presenter conducted an oncourt interview.

Of more concern to Federer will be Roddick's hint that there are vulnerabilities to be exploited in the Swiss star's game.

The American said: "I have some ideas but I am not going to have them written about. The biggest thing from playing him at Wimbledon last year is just having gone through it.

"There would not be a big shock factor now.

Last year we kind of had to gang up and try to figure out a way to make him think a little bit out there - and it is happening more this year." Having to work even harder seems mostly to have kept Federer on his toes, rather than knocking him off balance, and winning on grass is still second nature to him.

The worrying thing for Roddick and company must be that the 23-year-old believes he will be better at the Championships than last year and can continue to improve.

Federer said: "I was concerned about defending my first Wimbledon title last year. Now it is easier for me to deal with the situation. I feel confident.

Good performances all week long at Halle is exactly what I want heading there.

"But I always feel like I can improve. There were moments against Safin when I could have done better with my serve and return."

--------------------------------------------

Roddick's seeds of doubt over Wimbledon ranking
By Richard Hinds in London
June 14, 2005

American Andy Roddick has hinted that world No.2 Lleyton Hewitt, rather than he, should be given the vital second seeding at Wimbledon this year.

The second seeding - which guarantees the holder will avoid two-time champion Roger Federer in a potential semi-final - has become the source of a tight battle between the pair.

Hewitt has strong claims to have his ranking honoured because he is a Wimbledon champion. But the fourth-ranked Roddick's recent grasscourt results could earn him promotion because of the formula used at Wimbledon that combines ranking points with grasscourt performance in the past two years.

"I think it's going to be a bit of a toss-up," said Roddick after winning the Stella Artois Championships at the weekend. "Lleyton's won Wimbledon before so, obviously, that's what he has going for him. I have winning here and doing well the last couple of years on grass [in my favour].

"Either way, I don't think either one of us can be too upset. But if it is a toss-up, he has the No.2 ranking so maybe he has a little bit of an edge there."

The All-England Club's seedings committee was to have met on Monday. Unlike other grand slam tournaments, Wimbledon retains the right to seed players on grasscourt merit rather than parroting the rankings.

Roddick said he did not want to think as far ahead as to possible semi-final and final match-ups.

"I don't think I'm good enough to think that far ahead, there's a lot of matches before that happens," he said. "You're going to have to beat the best players somewhere along the line."

Jennay
06-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Let's go, Andy! :banana:

surfpinky
06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
:banana: :yippee: :dance:

Golfnduck
06-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I was just singing that song when I did my theory yesterday :lol: WIN WIMBLEDON THIS YEAR ANDY!!!!!

Golfnduck
06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Have the seeds been announced yet?

smucav
06-13-2005, 07:28 PM
Have the seeds been announced yet?Wednesday

Deboogle!.
06-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Have the seeds been announced yet?I believe they'll be announced on Wednesday. I read in a few articles that the committee meets today.

smucav
06-13-2005, 07:35 PM
How can Andy be the number 2 seed? :confused:http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=39926

allanah
06-13-2005, 08:49 PM
Ooh, they've just shown Andy's Amex ad on E4, the one where he asks for 2 seats for the return. That has to be the first Andy ad I've seen on proper telly, not online.

smucav
06-14-2005, 04:00 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/06/13/ad.0613/index.html
The heavies are back
Federer, Sharapova bounce back, Hewitt bounced
Posted: Monday June 13, 2005 12:21PM; Updated: Monday June 13, 2005 12:21PM

Ad-In
Who Why They're Up

Andy Roddick: Finally off the clay, America's No. 1 wins his third straight Queen's Club title.

Maria Sharapova: The cover girl shakes off a cold to win in Birmingham, England, and keeps her grass-court streak alive.

Roger Federer: Needed a strong bounce after his loss at Roland Garros. He got it, shaking off some grass-court rust and beating Marat Safin in the final to win the Gerry Weber Open in Halle, Germany. Stat of the week: Federer now has won the last 20 finals in which he's played.

Serena & Venus Williams: Sisters buy a loft (list price $1.5 million) in the Manhattan garment district. Real estate bubble? What real estate bubble?

Jamea Jackson: Young American scores strong win over Maria Kirilenko.

The Bryan Brothers: Their defeat of Jonas Bjorkman and Max Mirnyi in the final to win the Stella Artois event in London bodes well for the grass season. The win had to be somewhat bittersweet: A week earlier Bjorkman and Mirnyi beat them in the French Open final.

Other Doubles Winners: Daniela Hantuchova and Ai Sugiyama (pictured) in Birmingham. Yves Allegro and Federer in Halle.

Craig Tiley: The man who turned the Univeristy of Illinois tennis from a laughingstock into a powerhouse takes the job as head of development for Tennis Australia.

WTA Tour: For every ace hit by a WTA player over the next year, Whirlpool and the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour will donate 10 euros to the "Aces for Homes" charity, which will go toward providing housing for those affected by the tsunami disaster.

Cosmo Kramer: This year's U.S. Open ball-persons will be styled in a new line of tennis gear from Ralph Lauren.

Ad-Out
Who Why They're Down

Lleyton Hewitt: His comeback was spoiled by a loss to his old nemesis, Ivo "Spud" Karlovic.

Rafael Nadal: In his first match away from clay, the French Open champion falls to little-known Alexander Waske.

Joachim Johansson: On paper, the Euro-Roddick is a real Wimbledon contender, but his first-round loss at Halle to Philipp Kohlschreiber suggests he hasn't recovered from injury.

Daniela Hantuchova: Losing to a little-known Spaniard (Arantxa Parra Santonja) on grass is not the way to bolster your confidence for Wimbledon.

MissFairy
06-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Ooh, they've just shown Andy's Amex ad on E4, the one where he asks for 2 seats for the return. That has to be the first Andy ad I've seen on proper telly, not online.
Wooo, we're catching up :) Like a year late, but never mind :o

Carito_90
06-14-2005, 04:17 PM
GOD, I'm so excited and nervous about Wimby. :scared:

Go Andy :rocker:

MisterQ
06-14-2005, 04:31 PM
I will actually get to watch the first week this year! :woohoo:

I'll have to tape Andy's victory in the final, though. ;)

Golfnduck
06-14-2005, 05:45 PM
I have a good feeling about this tournament :) Andy will do well, I just know somehow.

blosson
06-14-2005, 06:37 PM
Hey Brits,
Southfields tube station is now being prepared for Wimbledon. Amex is sponsoring the green carpet this year and voila, there are cardboard cut out of Andy Roddick! They are making the train platform to look like a grass tennis court. :)

If you wondering what's Southfields, it is the closest underground station to
Wimbledon Tennis courts.

allanah
06-14-2005, 06:41 PM
Hey Bloss,:wavey: back from Barca?

Are the Andy cut-outs nailed down? If not I know a girl who can't be trusted not to try to make off with at least one. :devil:

blosson
06-14-2005, 06:49 PM
Yah. Back in London now. :D

It's similar to last year, there are cardboard prints of the 'public' watching tennis on both sides of the platforms and green carpet on the actual platforms. Andy is just 'pasted' in one of those side boards. It will be hard work to 'steal' those. :lol:

In previous years, they had Tim Henman sponsored by Persil but today I saw the Amex logo in the sideboards with Andy. It was a nice surprise.

allanah
06-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Yah. Back in London now. :D

It's similar to last year, there are cardboard prints of the 'public' watching tennis on both sides of the platforms and green carpet on the actual platforms. Andy is just 'pasted' in one of those side boards. It will be hard work to 'steal' those. :lol:

In previous years, they had Tim Henman sponsored by Persil but today I saw the Amex logo in the sideboards with Andy. It was a nice surprise.

oh :awww: :p I thought they were actual life-size stand-alone cut-outs.

blosson
06-14-2005, 07:07 PM
they are much bigger than life size. i could put them in my back garden. :lol:

MisterQ
06-14-2005, 07:10 PM
:bigcry: Andre withdrew. :sobbing:

Now Andy has to win it! Vamos! :banana:

Deboogle!.
06-14-2005, 07:16 PM
:sad: His coach had just said the other day that he was gonna play :(

Oh and the Wimbledon site actually put up the formula this year. Andy will almost certainly be seeded #2 as they are using the same formula as last year and it will only include 2004 and 2003 grass points.

MissFairy
06-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Hey Brits,
Southfields tube station is now being prepared for Wimbledon. Amex is sponsoring the green carpet this year and voila, there are cardboard cut out of Andy Roddick! They are making the train platform to look like a grass tennis court. :)

If you wondering what's Southfields, it is the closest underground station to
Wimbledon Tennis courts.
I'm paying a visit :lol:

Yay for the seeding formula, God Bless Grass :worship: and :sad: for Andre

smucav
06-14-2005, 07:43 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1835273&postcount=18

I wonder if the "objective and transparent system" language was intended to ward off the litigious. ;)

Seriously, if the AELTC is releasing the formula before the seeding with that language (& also the language that no committee deliberation is required), there is no subjectivity involved (which is what the one Aussie article assumed) & it intends to go strictly by the formula.

acoffeygirl
06-14-2005, 08:12 PM
:bigcry: Andre withdrew. :sobbing:

Now Andy has to win it! Vamos! :banana:

So sorry Q.... :hug:

Deboogle!.
06-14-2005, 08:18 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1835273&postcount=18

I wonder if the "objective and transparent system" language was intended to ward off the litigious. ;)

Seriously, if the AELTC is releasing the formula before the seeding with that language (& also the language that no committee deliberation is required), there is no subjectivity involved (which is what the one Aussie article assumed) & it intends to go strictly by the formula.The Aussie tennis media is demonstrating more and more every day that they have no frigging clue what the hell goes on with any of this stuff :p

Sheesh, and people whine about the US media!

fangirl
06-14-2005, 08:30 PM
*hnags head in shame*

We are not all that stupid.....really......

Deboogle!.
06-14-2005, 08:37 PM
Aw:hug: We know :)

It's just the Lleyton-obsessed ones that can't find their ass from their elbow as it relates to tennis..... as Pete Sampras so eloquently said :p

fangirl
06-14-2005, 08:40 PM
I am this close to changing my flag to Ukraine or somewhere as to disassociate myself from the Aussie media.

smucav
06-14-2005, 08:46 PM
The Aussie tennis media is demonstrating more and more every day that they have no frigging clue what the hell goes on with any of this stuff :pI think they get a lot of it directly from Lleyton & his handlers. The one guy, Leo Schlink, who usually starts the ball rolling, is supposedly an old buddy of Glenn Hewitt & that's why he usually has "the scoop" on all of the Lleyton controversies. During the Australian Open when all of the other Aussie papers were reporting on Lleyton's unsportsmanlike behavior, Schlink never did, instead helping to promulgate the Hewitt camp's conspiracy theories about the speed of the court & Jaslyn not getting a wild card, etc.

tangerine_dream
06-14-2005, 08:53 PM
Please visit my new annoying thread in GM titled "Henmania dying down?" :banana:

Sharapova usurps "Hen-mania"
June 14, 2005
Lisa Kelly

In the run-up to Wimbledon three times as many Brits are searching the web for Maria Sharapova than Tim Henman Big shock! :eek:, the UK's biggest hope for a win in the tennis tournament.

The most recent figures from Yahoo Search UK, covering the first half of June, indicate Hen-mania may be dying down as the fresher female talent appears to hold all the aces Maybe now with the pressure off, Tim will win Wimbledon :p . Reigning Wimbledon champion Sharapova has fans in many countries but UK browsers' interest in other top women players also outranks that in home-grown Henman. Searches for Serena Williams outnumber those for the UK's best player by two-to-one but at least Henman holds the top spot over other male contenders.

Andy Roddick from the US is in second place What's this? More proof that everyone hates Roddick, as MTFers have claimed?, while Andre Agassi, another American, is the third most-popular player in searches. Loyal Henman fans are hoping this Wimbledon could be his but their dreams have been dashed before because "Tiger Tim" has never made it beyond the semi-finals - reaching them four times before being knocked out.

Timmy should've moved out the UK years ago. He would've won a slam by now if he had. :o

Turkeyballs Paco
06-14-2005, 09:02 PM
Oy... I just popped in to say good luck for Andy, but since I'm Lleyton obsessed... maybe I shouldn't stick around this thread too long...

Good luck to Andy, I'm sure he'll do very well this tournament! :wavey:

J. Corwin
06-14-2005, 09:27 PM
I am this close to changing my flag to Ukraine or somewhere as to disassociate myself from the Aussie media.

Romania. ;) Pretend to be a natural mother to your gymnastically talented kiddies. :)

Fumus
06-14-2005, 09:45 PM
Please visit my new annoying thread in GM titled "Henmania dying down?" :banana:

Sharapova usurps "Hen-mania"
June 14, 2005
Lisa Kelly

In the run-up to Wimbledon three times as many Brits are searching the web for Maria Sharapova than Tim Henman Big shock! :eek:, the UK's biggest hope for a win in the tennis tournament.

The most recent figures from Yahoo Search UK, covering the first half of June, indicate Hen-mania may be dying down as the fresher female talent appears to hold all the aces Maybe now with the pressure off, Tim will win Wimbledon :p . Reigning Wimbledon champion Sharapova has fans in many countries but UK browsers' interest in other top women players also outranks that in home-grown Henman. Searches for Serena Williams outnumber those for the UK's best player by two-to-one but at least Henman holds the top spot over other male contenders.

Andy Roddick from the US is in second place What's this? More proof that everyone hates Roddick, as MTFers have claimed?, while Andre Agassi, another American, is the third most-popular player in searches. Loyal Henman fans are hoping this Wimbledon could be his but their dreams have been dashed before because "Tiger Tim" has never made it beyond the semi-finals - reaching them four times before being knocked out.

Timmy should've moved out the UK years ago. He would've won a slam by now if he had. :o

Tangy Rocks :rocker2: Good post.

heya
06-14-2005, 10:21 PM
alexandria, you don't think Andy's a worthless, crappy player with no potential.
:devil: You're free to post anywhere.

The media is like leeches crawling up your legs.
They control the players' minds. :mad: :retard:

superpinkone37
06-14-2005, 10:49 PM
Andre :bigcry:

andyroxmysox12191
06-15-2005, 03:07 AM
why did andre pull out? ):

Golfnduck
06-15-2005, 05:40 AM
Awwww.....I wanted to see Andre play this year :sad: I'm really sad to say, I think Andre will retire after this year.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 02:22 PM
Andy is officially #2 seed.
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/articles/2005-06-14/200506141118840905959.html

MissFairy
06-15-2005, 02:31 PM
:woohoo: Let the games begin....or matches, yknow what i mean :)

Golfnduck
06-15-2005, 02:34 PM
I'm pumped for play to begin :bounce: I'm hoping Andy plays on Monday so I can watch the match. I work all day Tuesday :sad:

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Andy won't play on Monday. Defending mens champion always plays on Monday and Andy won't be in his half so he'll have to play Tuesday. Sorry :( :(

Angle Queen
06-15-2005, 02:47 PM
Hmmm, Andy jumped ahead of Lleyton and Rafa. Guess I can see it. Does Wimby 'draw' the seeds so that #1 could meet #3 (and #2...#4...which may or may not be better for Andy :eek: ) or do they do it along the more traditional 1-4, 2-3 matchups? I suppose I should know this but I've never really cared about all four guys in the Top 4 before :).

Winston's Human
06-15-2005, 02:50 PM
I think #3 and #4 are randomly drawn as to which half they are placed.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Where 3 and 4 are drawn is actually random. Each one has a 50-50 chance of being drawn against #1 or #2. Same with seeds 5-8, etc. So yes, there's a 50% chance that Lleyton will be drawn into the bottom half and the #2/#3 seeding issue will become basically meaningless.

Golfnduck
06-15-2005, 03:04 PM
Andy won't play on Monday. Defending mens champion always plays on Monday and Andy won't be in his half so he'll have to play Tuesday. Sorry :( :(
Damn!!! Hopefully Andy will play during my break. I knew this would happen, since Andy always plays when I have to work.

Tytta!.
06-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Go Andy :banana:

EssentialBeauty
06-15-2005, 03:43 PM
I cannot wait for Wimbledon to start! It's the tourney I've grown up with (and is therefore my favourite), and for me it signifies the beginning of summer over here. I've read lots of negative comments about Wimbledon; the supposed 'elitism' of the tournament, but actually that's sort of why I love it so much. I love the history and tradition; the 'Englishness', the dress code, the intimacy of the Centre and No. 1 courts, the gorgeous green grass and the aesthetics of it all...bliss. It's pretty much the only tennis tourney I get to see on telly actually, so I treasure it even more. Unfortunately this year I've got A-level exams all next week and then I'm abroad for three weeks so I'm gonna miss all of it! :sad: If, sorry I mean when ;) Andy wins the title, I'm gonna be so p'd off I missed it.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 03:44 PM
awwwwww :hug::hug: Good luck on your exams!!!!!!!!!!

PinkFeatherBoa
06-15-2005, 04:10 PM
Good luck on your exams EssentialBeauty. Shame you have to miss Wimbly.

Good luck to Andy on his Wimbly campaign! :banana: I'm so excited now Wimbly is finally here, but I can't afford to get excited just yet, because I still have 2 finals to come, next Monday and Friday, but at least straight after the one on Monday I get to go to Wimbly and partay down (although that's the only day I have tickets for so far and I have to go late due to the exam ): ).

:woohoo: to nights of queuing and days of live tennis. :cool:

smucav
06-15-2005, 04:49 PM
So yes, there's a 50% chance that Lleyton will be drawn into the bottom half and the #2/#3 seeding issue will become basically meaningless.Except for the most important thing about being seeded #2: not meeting #1 until the final.

athena_wu
06-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Good Luck, Andy. I go to sleep. Good night ,every one.:)

tangerine_dream
06-15-2005, 05:42 PM
Does anyone else think that Andy is a very underrated grasscourt player?

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 05:48 PM
Except for the most important thing about being seeded #2: not meeting #1 until the final.Yes, but what I said was if #2 and #3 are drawn together, this whole debate is rendered absolutely meaningless because neither Andy NOR Lleyton, wherever they were seeded, would meat Roger until the final. Now let's just hope Lleyton IS put in the top half and that it IS meaningful ;):devil:

Tangy, he's the 2nd fave behind Roger to win Wimbledon and was the final last year and very possibly could have won that match if not for the rain. How exactly is he underrated? :lol:

tangerine_dream
06-15-2005, 06:09 PM
He's underrated because when people talk about great grasscourt players, Andy is rarely mentioned. It's either Pete or Roger.

Predictable to see the usual group of :cuckoo: GMers getting miffed because Andy is seeded No. 2 where he should be and not 3 or 4. :)

btw, what's the point of being seeded 3-32 if the players are drawn arbitrarily against the No. 1 and 2 seeds? :scratch:

MisterQ
06-15-2005, 06:21 PM
He's underrated because when people talk about great grasscourt players, Andy is rarely mentioned. It's either Pete or Roger.

Predictable to see the usual group of :cuckoo: GMers getting miffed because Andy is seeded No. 2 where he should be and not 3 or 4. :)

btw, what's the point of being seeded 3-32 if the players are drawn arbitrarily against the No. 1 and 2 seeds? :scratch:

I would say that Pete and Roger do deserve to be mentioned before Andy, for obvious reasons. ;) But I agree, Andy's grass court achievements are substantial thus far, and Roger is correct to assess Andy as perhaps his biggest threat for the title (I believe he said that recently).

I hope Andy will play really well and not lose before he should.

heya
06-15-2005, 06:22 PM
He played very few grass matches since he was little.
He barely tried in 2001 and 2002, but in 2003, he won Queen's and got to Wimbly semis
even though he didn't try his best.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 06:31 PM
He's underrated because when people talk about great grasscourt players, Andy is rarely mentioned. It's either Pete or Roger. well they've both won wimbledon more than once. When Andy's done that, he'll be mentioned too :D
btw, what's the point of being seeded 3-32 if the players are drawn arbitrarily against the No. 1 and 2 seeds? :scratch:It's not THAT arbitrary. 3 and 4 are drawn into opposite halves. Seeds 1-4 face seeds 5-8 in the QFs. Seeds 1-8 face seeds 25-32 in the third round, and there are more patterns. WITHIN those patterns the placements are random, but like, it's a very big deal for Taylor Dent to have been BARELY seeded at 24 instead of 25. He escapes a top seed til the FOURTH round instead of the THIRD. Could be big for a guy like him. So it definitely does matter where you're seeded.

smucav
06-15-2005, 06:34 PM
Predictable to see the usual group of :cuckoo: GMers getting miffed because Andy is seeded No. 2 where he should be and not 3 or 4. :)What is beyond me is how many people can't understand basic (second-grade level basic) math even when jtipson posted the numbers. The huge arguments about Nadal being seeded higher than Safin & Davydenko in the top 8 are absurd when you look at the numbers.

heya
06-15-2005, 06:35 PM
Superior players barely escaping on their favorite surface vs. a 2nd tier player like Roddick...awww poor geniuses. Too bad, Andy has fewer than 7 Slams by age 22--
he got a bad line call in the USO '01, injuries in 2002-5 & had improper preparation since the 1st time he struck the ball.

Hey, he inherited a lack of agility/weight problem as well as behaviour that lead to choking & self-inflicted injuries. Did I forget to mention horrific coaching as well as lenient, apathetic parents?

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 06:39 PM
What is beyond me is how many people can't understand basic (second-grade level basic) math even when jtipson posted the numbers. The huge arguments about Nadal being seeded higher than Safin & Davydenko in the top 8 are absurd when you look at the numbers.no kidding, right?? It's really not that difficult. :o

heya
06-15-2005, 06:44 PM
Then again, if you don't retrieve every single ball in a rally, don't win the French Open and aren't Hispanic, you don't deserve a higher ranking.

Angle Queen
06-15-2005, 07:13 PM
What is beyond me is how many people can't understand basic (second-grade level basic) math even when jtipson posted the numbers. The huge arguments about Nadal being seeded higher than Safin & Davydenko in the top 8 are absurd when you look at the numbers.:rolleyes: If they'd argue about the 'formula' and not the arithmetic, they might have a leg to stand-on...but it's just moaning and groaning. To win it all, you still gotta win 7, no matter who you have to blow through. Everybody but Roger's gotta walk out there with the attitude that somebody's gonna have to knock off #1. And every seeded player had better have that kind of confidence in himself (warranted or not). That's why I'm pleased with Andy's (and Lleyton's) comments to the media. Whether it's true or not, he's just giving them the ole :shrug:, like it really doesn't matter because he was still gonna have to get the job done on court.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 07:20 PM
:rolleyes: If they'd argue about the 'formula' and not the arithematic, they might have a leg to stand-on...but it's just moaning and groaning. To win it all, you still gotta win 7, no matter who you have to blow through. Everybody but Roger's gotta walk out there with the attitude that somebody's gonna have to knock off #1. And every seeded player had better have that kind of confidence in himself (warranted or not). That's why I'm pleased with Andy's (and Lleyton's) comments to the media. Whether it's true or not, he's just giving them the ole :shrug:, like it really doesn't matter because he was still gonna have to get the job done on court.amen.

smucav
06-15-2005, 07:23 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/06/14/mailbag/index.htmlWimbledon adopts a different seeding system, taking into account the players' prowess on the surface. But really, if there's one Major that should adopt this system, shouldn't it be The French Open?
-- Khairi Akbar, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Grass is probably more of a "specialty surface" than clay, but I'd like to see Roland Garros employ subjective seeding as well. Tossing the No. 2 seed at Roddick, for instance, is just plain silly. Yes, it reflects his ranking and rewards him for his play over the past 52 weeks. But who does this serve? It is terribly inaccurate as a predictor of his success on clay and when he loses in the second round his section of the draw opens.

Obviously, when you depart from the cold, rational numbers and include a subjective element, you're opening the proverbial can of worms. But to me, that's a lesser crime than making a mockery of the draw by not taking surface into account.

Dinkie
06-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Superior players barely escaping on their favorite surface vs. a 2nd tier player like Roddick...awww poor geniuses. Too bad, Andy has fewer than 7 Slams by age 22--
he got a bad line call in the USO '01, injuries in 2002-5 & had improper preparation since the 1st time he struck the ball.

Hey, he inherited a lack of agility/weight problem as well as behaviour that lead to choking & self-inflicted injuries. Did I forget to mention horrific coaching as well as lenient, apathetic parents?

Heya, do you ever have a fun moment in your life? ;)

Just wondering what your connection is with Andy, you seem to know every detail of his career, yet in 90% of your posts you are bashing him and/or his coaching staff and/or his parents. Those two don't match imo.

heya
06-15-2005, 08:04 PM
The draw opened up the top half of the French Open too. Gonzalez + Grosjean are good clay players, but were they more resilient than Puerta?
Andy didn't care the moment he decided to avoid training in Europe.
He eagerly waited for grass. It didn't matter to him if he lost a huge lead in a match.
This happened for over a year on all surfaces.

Many complain when Andy didn't reach the final of every Slam, but IMO, a choke's better
than an easy loss no matter what Slam round it is.
Let's see Hewitt and Nadal in a tough match at a non-favorite Slam final again.

partygirl
06-15-2005, 08:10 PM
heya is just the voice of: love/dissent......everybody needs one :worship:

Tytta!.
06-15-2005, 08:13 PM
Heya :rocker2: :kiss:

blosson
06-15-2005, 08:50 PM
:rolleyes: If they'd argue about the 'formula' and not the arithematic, they might have a leg to stand-on...but it's just moaning and groaning. To win it all, you still gotta win 7, no matter who you have to blow through. Everybody but Roger's gotta walk out there with the attitude that somebody's gonna have to knock off #1. And every seeded player had better have that kind of confidence in himself (warranted or not). That's why I'm pleased with Andy's (and Lleyton's) comments to the media. Whether it's true or not, he's just giving them the ole :shrug:, like it really doesn't matter because he was still gonna have to get the job done on court.

So true. Obviously the grass season is not a favorite amongst the GM posters. It isn't that hard to understand the Wimbledon seedings. In my opinion it's the most logical as players are seeded based on actual and current performance on the relevant surface.

Angle Queen
06-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Oh lord. I was much better in math than I was in spelling.

"arithematic"...what the hell is that? Let's try...arithmetic. :lol:

Forgive me, crew.

smucav
06-15-2005, 09:14 PM
:rolleyes: If they'd argue about the 'formula' and not the arithematic, they might have a leg to stand-on...but it's just moaning and groaning.Or ignorance. I can't decide.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 09:15 PM
Or ignorance. I can't decide.Or some healthy combination of All of the Above. ;)

blosson
06-15-2005, 09:21 PM
I think it's just moaning. Most people complain as their favourite players could/did not get any advantage from the special grass seading.

smucav
06-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Math is the least subjective science. Arguing about numbers plugged in a formula illustrates a lack of knowledge most eight year olds possess.

allanah
06-15-2005, 09:25 PM
Pat Cash was on BBC Five Live a little while ago tipping Andy for Wimbledon :rocker: coz the courts are apparently playing super-fast this year (how does he know?) and the serve will reign supreme.

I usually filter out anything that Mr Cash says but today he is a very wise man.

Angle Queen
06-15-2005, 09:27 PM
:lol: I must not be much of a fan, then, because I'm the opposite. I went :eek: that one of my favs got jumped over some others. Henman at 6. Geez.

But Andy at #2...even over LH...:yeah:

Angle Queen
06-15-2005, 09:29 PM
Math is the least subjective science. Arguing about numbers plugged in a formula illustrates a lack of knowledge most eight year olds possess.There you go, trying to be logical again. With GM? You're :banghead: although, shhhh, I still like to post there.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 09:32 PM
Math is the least subjective science. Arguing about numbers plugged in a formula illustrates a lack of knowledge most eight year olds possess.:haha::haha::haha:

Allanah, for once, let's hope Pat Cash isn't stupid about something. :p

smucav
06-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Pat Cash was on BBC Five Live a little while ago tipping Andy for Wimbledon :rocker: coz the courts are apparently playing super-fast this year (how does he know?) and the serve will reign supreme.

I usually filter out anything that Mr Cash says but today he is a very wise man.On Sunday, Ivanisevic, when asked about it by Johnny Mac, also said that the courts at Wimbledon were playing faster than they had anytime in the last five years. One of the many complaints Henman has registered over the last few years has been that they have slowed down the court making it harder for him. His main evidence was all of the clay court guys making it to the QFs in 2002 (the year there were so many early round upsets). The AELTC always claimed they hadn't done anything to slow it down, but you never know with them.(how does he know?)He might have been on the court. Wimbledon is the most restrictive tournament in terms of who is allowed on the court & in the locker rooms, but former champions are on the short list.

That's one of the reasons Pat Cash still has a job. At Wimbledon, they even have A & B locker rooms. The only people allowed into the A locker room are the seeded players, unseeded players who make it to the semifinals, & former champions. Seeded players are only given a pass for one other person --meaning only one support person (the coach or the trainer) can get in there at the same time. But former champions who are attending Wimbledon as media or to play in the legends doubles can get in there at any time.

Fumus
06-15-2005, 09:41 PM
Andy is number 2 on grass...but will it help him?

allanah
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
:haha::haha::haha:

Allanah, for once, let's hope Pat Cash isn't stupid about something. :p

Definitely , Deb :)

I'd heard that too Smucav. I think the segregation is kinda mean. Almost like it's designed to reinforce the idea that they regard some players as inferior to others.

Didn't Andy once refuse his pass to the swish locker rooms and choose to just change in the average-Joe ones?

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 09:44 PM
here, Pat Cash has just 'redeemed' himself :haha:
----------
Cash criticises Wimbledon over Hewitt seeding
Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:19 PM BST

LONDON, June 15 (Reuters) - Former champion Pat Cash strongly criticised Wimbledon organisers on Wednesday after his fellow Australian Lleyton Hewitt was seeded three in this year's men's singles.

Hewitt, the 2002 Wimbledon champion, is second in the world rankings but organisers handed the number two seeding to world number four Andy Roddick on Wednesday because of the American's better recent form on grass.

"I think it's a real slap in the face," Cash, who won Wimbledon in 1987, told BBC radio.

"I don't think it's fair that they should be changing it around."

As second seed, Roddick, who lost in last year's final to Roger Federer, cannot meet the Swiss top seed until the final of this year's tournament. Third seed Hewitt could face Federer in the semi-finals.

"Lleyton Hewitt is the number two player in the world," Cash said. "He should have stayed number two. He is a Wimbledon champion. He is the (2005) Australian Open finalist.

"I don't like them tinkering with the seeds. The guys work the whole year to get rankings to win the grand slams.

"It has certainly given Roddick a boost that I don't think he deserves over Hewitt.

"The rankings are there for a reason. They are fair."

Unlike the other grand slam events, Wimbledon has traditionally varied its seedings from the official rankings in order to reflect players' strengths on grass.

Big-serving Roddick completed a hat-trick of Stella Artois titles on grass on Sunday. Hewitt lost in the quarter-finals.

smucav
06-15-2005, 09:51 PM
I'd heard that too Smucav. I think the segregation is kinda mean. Almost like it's designed to reinforce the idea that they regard some players as inferior to others.I think it's more of a reward for those who are allowed in. As it gets closer to the final weekend, they don't have to deal with all the doubles players & juniors while they're waiting out a rain delay during one of the biggest matches of their lives. On the other hand, Johnny Mac always recalls how intimidating it was for him to be in there with the big boys as a 17-year old qualifier/junior player. But in later years, he welcomed the privacy & isolation.Didn't Andy once refuse his pass to the swish locker rooms and choose to just change in the average-Joe ones?I don't think he refused, but, according to Johnny Mac, Andy was holding court in the B locker room with some of the American juniors during one of the off days, preferring the hubbub to the silence of The Fed.

allanah
06-15-2005, 09:53 PM
There's the Pat Cash we know and...know. The last 2 sentences of that article might be a bit of a pointer to the seedings :rolleyes: It would be such delicious irony if the seeding meant Karlovic fell into Hewitt's part of the draw instead of Andy's.

smucav
06-15-2005, 09:57 PM
It would be such delicious irony if the seeding meant Karlovic fell into Hewitt's part of the draw instead of Andy's.The seedings don't effect whether or not Hewitt will meet Karlovic. Whether he's #2 or #3, he has a 1/96 (1.04%) chance of meeting him in the first round; 50% chance of being drawn in the same half.

blosson
06-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey, was Pat Cash fairly seeded when he won Wimbledon ? hehe

allanah
06-15-2005, 10:06 PM
Ah. Maybe I have misunderstood. I thought him and Andy being on opposite ends of the draw and would mean only one of them could meet Karlovic early on - I'm assuming Karlovic is unseeded.

blosson
06-15-2005, 10:11 PM
We don't know if they (Andy and Hewitt) are at the opposite sides of the draw yet. They could end up in the same side of the draw.

But I hope Karlovic doesn't end up in Andy's corner.

smucav
06-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Hey, was Pat Cash fairly seeded when he won Wimbledon ? heheHe was the #11 seed, but I would have to do further research to find out his actual ranking at the time:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/eventhistory/default2.asp?tournament=540&year=1987&singlesdoubles=Singles

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 10:18 PM
...preferring the hubbub to the silence of The Fed.DEAD!

blosson
06-15-2005, 10:30 PM
He was the #11 seed, but I would have to do further research to find out his actual ranking at the time:
http://www.atptennis.com/en/tournaments/eventhistory/default2.asp?tournament=540&year=1987&singlesdoubles=Singles

oh I see he wasn't in the top 5 but beat the number 2 and 3 on his way up. It would be funnier if his actual ranking was below 11 at the time.

Do you guys know when Wimbly started doing special seeding?

smucav
06-15-2005, 10:38 PM
oh I see he wasn't in the top 5 but beat the number 2 and 3 on his way up. It would be funnier if his actual ranking was below 11 at the time.

Do you guys know when Wimbly started doing special seeding?I would have to do further research, but keep in mind that up until 1975 three slams (Australian Open, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) were played on grass, & up until 1988 two slams (Australian Open & Wimbledon) were played on grass, so the grass rankings & the overall rankings would have been more similar than they are now.

blosson
06-15-2005, 10:45 PM
Thanks smucav, i forgot that the green grass was the dominant surface.

Deboogle!.
06-15-2005, 10:56 PM
I read somewhere that before 2001 (when there were only 16 seeds), Wimby kinda did what they wanted and there was no accountability. Then there were major protests from some of the (I think) Spanish players around that time. So when they went to a 32-seeding system, the agreement was that they MUST seed the top 32 players entered but that they are free to shuffle them around using a formula.

So it's all fairly recent. I believe 2001 or 2002 was the first year it was done. It's somewhere on this board, though Maybe the "When will the wimbledon seedings be announced?" thread on GM or something.

blosson
06-16-2005, 12:38 AM
Yes, there was a big protest and boycot around that year by mostly clay courters (not sure if they were Spanish only).

I wanted to know for how long Wimbledon has been 'changing' the main rankings independently of this new formula used in the past 2 or 3 years.

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 12:42 AM
oooooooohhhhh sorry... hmmmm. my guess they've been doing it for a while.

blosson
06-16-2005, 12:46 AM
I guess so. I just wanted to know if Pat Cash had once or twice benefited from some special formula in the past... considering he's been moaning about the unfairness of Hewitt's seeding to the press. :)

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 12:47 AM
I guess so. I just wanted to know if Pat Cash had once or twice benefited from some special formula in the past... considering he's been moaning about the unfairness of Hewitt's seeding to the press. :)Over the past few years, Pat Cash has proven himself to be a Fucktard of the First Degree.

smucav
06-16-2005, 01:11 AM
I've done some nexis research & come up with the following:

According to Bud Collins, Wimbledon has always used some form of surface seeding. (Until 1922, it also had a challenge round format, meaning that the defending champion only had to play one match--the final--to defend his title.)

Here's what the Wimbledon website says about the history of seeding:
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/bios/seeds.html
A simplified form of seeding was introduced in 1924 when up to four representatives of a nation were drawn in four different quarters of the draw. In 1927 full seeding was carried out and competitors were selected according to ability irrespective of nationality.In 2000, three Spanish players (Corretja, Ferrero, & Costa) threatened to boycott Wimbledon unless the draw was remade because they were unseeded even though they were ranked 11, 13, & 15 (El Aynaoui was also denied a seed even though he was ranked #16). Philippoussis, Kraijeck, Rafter, & Rusedski were seeded even though they were ranked outside the top 16. The AELTC refused their request saying the seedings were "in the public and the tournament's interest." The ATP backed them up so the three players withdrew (Ferrero later would claim he didn't boycott, but had a back injury).

In spring 2001, Ferrero & Corretja, now joined by Kuerten, announced that they would boycott again this year if not seeded by their entry rankings. Wimbledon instead announced that it would keep its surface seedings, but increase the number of seeds to 32 (which is something all four slams had been considering for a while--interestingly enough, a majority of the top players were against raising the number of seeds). Kuerten & Corretja withdrew anyway claiming they were injured. Doing this after a compromise had been implemented drew the ire of many top players including Mr. Sportsmanship, Patrick Rafter, who dismissed it as much ado about nothing and lack of respect for Wimbledon. "You know, I think the withdrawals of some of the guys, a boycott or anything, it's a total schedule plan, them knowing they're not going to be successful here, so why come?" said Patrick Rafter, one of the few classic grass-court players left.

So in summary, Wimbledon has always used some form of surface seedings, but 2001 was the first year everyone ranked in the top 32 were guaranteed a seed.

IMO outside of this board & Lleyton Hewitt's compound (& Pat Cash's mouth which may or may not be connected to his brain), the Wimbledon seeding system and the related minor boycotts are not very important events in the history of tennis. (Neither of the 2000 or 2001 boycotts even rates a mention in Bud Collins's encyclopedia, while the 1973 Wimbledon boycott, which had nothing to do with seeding, takes up two pages & even the 1996 U.S. Open seeding controversy rates two paragraphs.)

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 02:19 AM
Reuters article.... puts new spin on quotes from last week, basically.
--------------------
Wimbledon-Roddick thirsty to end grand slam drought
Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:01 AM BST

By Pritha Sarkar

LONDON, June 16 (Reuters) - For a man who has an enviable record on grass and possesses all the tools to succeed at Wimbledon, Andy Roddick must be sick of the sight of Roger Federer.

Roddick got his thunderbolt serve firing in all directions and displayed his flair on the lush green lawns as he hurtled to his third successive Stella Artois title at the weekend.

His reward for a focused performance at the Queen's Club was to join fellow American John McEnroe and Australian Lleyton Hewitt as the only players to triumph three times in a row at the Wimbledon warm-up tournament.

That win improved the American's grasscourt record to an impressive 26-2 since 2003 and left him eager to launch an assault for a first Wimbledon crown when the All England Club opens its gate for business next Monday.

"I'm just excited that my preparation's gone well for Wimbledon," said the world number four.

"It feels good. I never would have predicted it three years ago, that's for sure.

"If you're playing good tennis going in, then obviously you help your chances.

"I'd like to rate my chances a little better than a lot of people in the draw just based on how I'm playing right now and the preparation going in."

GRASS MASTERCLASS

The only man who boasts a better grasscourt record than Roddick since 2003 happens to be twice Wimbledon champion Federer.

Frustratingly for Roddick, both of his two defeats on the slick surface over the past two seasons have been dealt by the Swiss at the citadel of grasscourt tennis.

Roddick was given a straight-sets masterclass by Federer in the 2003 semi-finals.

Just 12 months later, it appeared that the owner of the world's fastest serve had done his homework when he stepped out for a rematch in the final.

For a set and a half, his frenzied attack put Federer's usually impeccable timing off course and Roddick looked set to become the seventh American to lift the Wimbledon men's singles title since tennis turned professional in 1968.

However, the world number one's mesmeric skills eventually doused Roddick's fireworks and the American had to make do with coming second best once again to the Swiss tactician.

While the outcome was not what Roddick had hoped for, he believes he learned an important lesson on that damp English summer's afternoon.

FIRST FINAL

"It's not every day you play your first Wimbledon final," said the American, who could run into Federer again in the title showdown if they both live up to their seedings this year.

"I hope I get the opportunity to play another one.

"I mean once you experience something, it takes away the fear of the unknown, which is always there. So, you know, I would definitely look forward to doing it again."

Having lifted the 2003 U.S. Open title just two months after Federer's debut grand slam success at Wimbledon, Roddick had been expected to challenge the Swiss for many of the top awards.

While Federer's bulging trophy cabinet now displays four grand slam prizes, Roddick has failed to add any more major silverware to his collection.

After a miserable claycourt season, Roddick will be determined to make up ground at Wimbledon and will also be looking to end a six-slam grand slam drought for the U.S. men.

"If you're confident, you feel like you can play on anything," said the 22-year-old Roddick.

"I feel like I'm ready to go and ready to compete in a grand slam."

Katdiva7
06-16-2005, 06:11 AM
"I feel like I'm ready to go and ready to compete in a grand slam."
Let's hope so :) And this totally off topic, but Deb I love the Poster Girl lyrics in your sig!

Neely
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
damn it! Andy has a probable 2nd round match against Karlovic!!!!! :(
tough early match for him!

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Ok so Andy will probably play Karlovic in the 2nd round. :(
I know Andy will handle him fine! :yeah:

Please don't faint Deb. :p

bavaria100
06-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I think Andy has to play Tim in the quarter-finals and Lleyton in the semis.

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm not sure on the possible QF and SF matchups because the commentators are talking over the draw announcements and I can't hear clearly. :o:mad:

I wonder when they will put the draws up on the site?

Devotee
06-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Ok so Andy will probably play Karlovic in the 2nd round. :(
I know Andy will handle him fine! :yeah:

How can you be confident Andy will handle Karlovic?
I haven't been following Karlovic at all this year. Why is he not a big threat to Andy?

bavaria100
06-16-2005, 11:23 AM
You can read that under the headlines. There´s a little article called " Draw for Wimbledon".

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:27 AM
How can you be confident Andy will handle Karlovic?
I haven't been following Karlovic at all this year. Why is he not a big threat to Andy?

Oh of course Ivo with his big serves and good volleys will always be a threat to a top player at Wimby....I'm just exuding confidence for my favorite player. ;)

Anyway Ivo has played a lot of tennis lately and is probably getting a bit tired. Andy played Ivo just this past weekend in the Queens final, and won in straight sets through two tiebreakers. Plus I expect Andy to focus a lot more in a slam and his experience on the big stage should pull him through Ivo in tight straight sets (maybe drop a set??). :)

Karlovic is a tough 2nd round and Andy is a bit unlucky to draw him so early of course...

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:29 AM
You can read that under the headlines. There´s a little article called " Draw for Wimbledon".

Yeah I just saw it...heh.

The little blurb also said this:

"Most of the top seeds avoided the 'dangerous floaters' of the draw, including Greg Rusedski and Queen's runner-up Ivo Karlovic..."

Uhhh....:retard:

lol

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 11:30 AM
I think it'll be better over the best of five too :)

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Hey there Miss Fairy :wavey: Glad to see a fellow confident fan. :D :hug:

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 11:34 AM
Jace :) :hug: I *try* Although Ivo beat Ljubicic yesterday :scared: But i think Ivo's returning is weak enough for Andy to be okay. But it's not a nice tie is it really?

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
It's not...but I kinda expected for the worst as these things always tend to happen lol. But I think I like this for Andy, to have him be on his toes right from the start. He always seems to do better at slams where he's tested early instead of breezing through all the way to the QF/SF stages with easy easy draws. :)

And Venus could play Serena in the round of 16! :eek: I really like Venus and don't want her feeling all the emotionalness of playing her sister so early. :(

Fed of course has Massu(?) in the first round. lol

bavaria100
06-16-2005, 11:39 AM
You can see it here:

Draw for Wimbledon

Thursday, 16 June, 2005

Elsewhere, the 2004 runner-up, Andy Roddick is seeded to play Lleyton Hewitt in the semi-finals but could play the British No.1 Tim Henman in the semi-finals. Henman will play Finland's Jarkko Nieminen in the first round.

Source: Wimbledon.org

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 11:41 AM
:lol: So after all of that, Hewitt and Andy are in the same half anyway :p

fangirl
06-16-2005, 11:43 AM
:lol: So after all of that, Hewitt and Andy are in the same half anyway :p

Exactly! But try telling that to the Lleyton obsessed media here :rolleyes:

J. Corwin
06-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Possibly Henman in the QF, then Hewitt in the SF...Andy has a very tough Wimbledon campaign this year but it's exciting! :)

I'm heading to bed now :lol:

Night all! :wavey:

heya
06-16-2005, 11:50 AM
What kind of joke is this?
Andy had easy draws in USO '01, AO '03 & Wimbledon '04 until the quarterfinals...
that changed nothing. He never gave his best effort in any of them.

:rolleyes:

heya
06-16-2005, 12:00 PM
He might as well stop playiing in Queen's. Having good results only makes the draws and ranking worse. :mad: I thought last year was a nightmare. This is the worst year ever. AFTER A GREAT LAST WEEK.

bavaria100
06-16-2005, 12:07 PM
It seems as if there was a mistake on the Wimbledon website.

Roger Federer starts off his campaign against Paul-Henri-Mathieu. Meanwhile, his
opponent in last year's final, Andy Roddick, will face Jiri Vanek in the first round. Roddick is seeded to play Tim Henman in the quarter-final, with the winner possibly facing French Open winner, Rafael Nadal.

Well, Lleyton is on Roger´s side of the draw.

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
Hmmm from the sounds of it not going to be easy for Andy, but then again when has it been this year ;) :p

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 12:20 PM
Oh so Andy and Lleyton aren't in the same side? Interesting...so he has Rafa in the semi instead, that's good right? :)

I'm scared already :scared:

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 12:23 PM
Yep Sarah..and I was nervous before the draw but now :unsure: :eek:

bavaria100
06-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Andy´s possible matchup´s:

1R vs. Vanek
2R vs. Karlovic
3R vs. Söderling or Andreev
4R vs. Ljubicic, Coria or Marray
QF vs. Henman or Grosjean
SF vs. Nadal,Murray,Haas or Nalbandian
F vs. Federer,Hewitt or Ancic

You can see the full main draw here:

http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/scor...s/ms/index.html

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
So theorectically his draw will go something like this (by seeding):
Vanek
Karlovic
Soderling
Coria (okay, okay probably not. Probably Ljubicic :()
Henman (or Seb)
Nadal
Federer

ohhhhh Yumm :bolt:

EDIT: oops, i got beaten, ahhh never mind :)

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 01:06 PM
Ok officially I say i dont like this one bit!!!!!!! but still GO ANDY!!! kick them all ;) :D :worship:

blosson
06-16-2005, 01:48 PM
I did not expect Andy to draw Karlovic in the 2nd round. We know he took care of him at Queens and hopefully can do it again but it will be tough.

I think the rest of the draw is fine otherwise.

allanah
06-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Well, it could've been a lot better but this draw just means Andy needs to play a consistent and tight game from the very first round. He can't afford any of those maddening lapses. It's quite a challenge, but he's more than equal to it.

Roll on next Tuesday! :bounce: :yippee:

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 01:53 PM
You guys make me feel better. I love you. :hug:

heya
06-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Why's Andy's section the hardest of all the players & Henman's draw's full of grass-allergic people? Wayne Arthurs and Alex Popp aren't playing that well anyway. Grosjean's unpredictable.

Tim Henman GBR (6)
v.
Jarkko Nieminen FIN

Nicolas Almagro ESP
v.
Dmitry Tursunov RUS

Alexander Popp GER
v.
Jerome Haehnel FRA

Wayne Arthurs AUS
v.
Filippo Volandri ITA (32)

David Ferrer ESP (17)
v.
Guillermo Garcia-Lopez ESP

Juan Monaco ARG
v.
Qualifier

Victor Hanescu ROM
v.
Kenneth Carlsen DEN

Michael Llodra FRA
v.
Sebastien Grosjean FRA (9)

Coria ARG (15)
v.
Tomas Behrend GER

Jonathan Marray GBR
v.
Xavier Malisse BEL

Alex Calatrava ESP
v.
Qualifier

Jurgen Melzer AUT
v.
Ivan Ljubicic CRO (20)

Robin Soderling SWE (30)
v.
Igor Andreev RUS

Davide Sanguinetti ITA
v.
Qualifier

Qualifier
v.
Ivo Karlovic CRO

Jiri Vanek

heya
06-16-2005, 02:17 PM
:rolleyes:
Roger Federer SUI (1)
v.
Paul-Henri Mathieu FRA

Ivo Minar CZE
v.
Michal Tabara CZE

Joshua Goodall GBR
v.
Alessio Di Mauro ITA

Julien Benneteau FRA
v.
Nicolas Kiefer GER (25)

Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP (23)
v.
Qualifier

Thomas Enqvist SWE
v.
Hyung-Taik Lee KOR

Florian Mayer GER
v.
Santiago Ventura ESP

Fernando Verdasco ESP
v.
Tommy Robredo ESP (13)

Joachim Johansson SWE (11)
v.
Albert Montanes ESP

Alberto Martin ESP
v.
Greg Rusedski GBR

Jose Acasuso ARG
v.
Tomas Zib CZE

Alan Mackin GBR
v.
Fernando Gonzalez CHI (21)

Mikhail Youzhny RUS (31)
v.
Marcos Baghdatis CYP

Oscar Hernandez ESP
v.
Jean-Rene Lisnard FRA

Jonas Bjorkman SWE
v.
Qualifier

Scott Draper AUS
v.
Nikolay Davydenko

Lleyton Hewitt AUS (3)
v.
Christophe Rochus BEL

Jan Hernych CZE
v.
James Blake USA

Qualifier
v.
Qualifier

Sargis Sargsian ARM
v.
Nicolas Massu CHI (29)

Taylor Dent USA (24)
v.
Qualifier

Qualifier
v.
Tomas Berdych CZE

Lars Burgsmuller GER
v.
Mariano Puerta ARG

Mario Ancic CRO (10)
v.
Qualifier

Qualifier
v.
Stefan Koubek

Gael Monfils FRA
v.
Olivier Rochus BEL

Cyril Saulnier FRA
v.
Dominik Hrbaty SVK (22)

Feliciano Lopez

Srichaphan
v.
Marat Safin

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Jace, I actually laughed when I saw Karlovic's name... LOL!! Remember what I said to you and Q last night?

I think Andy's draw is ok. I said last night on MSN To Jace and Q that I thought Andy needed a tough, but not really hard draw. I think that's what he got. I personally think Karlovic is going to be tired come Wimby, having played three weeks of tennis - he's not in that great shape. He played 5 matches in Surbiton, 6 in Queens, and to this point at least 3 more in Nottingham. So yea, Andy should beat him again.

Soderling in the third round could actually be the EXTREMELY tough one that worries me. He should've beaten Roger last week in Halle in the first round (though I heard Roger did not play well, but still) and he's got a good serve and he's basically just a fast-court player kind of like Paradorn. Again, it's someone that Andy SHOULD beat but it's the kind of match that could be tough. I am now convinced that Andy needs tough draws early on in a big tournanent - he almost always does better later on if he's tested a bit early.

Ljubicic never makes the 4th round of slams and he's not actually that good on grass it sounds, so again Andy should have not too much trouble making the QFs. If Thomas Johansson can beat Tim on grass, Andy really should be able to as well.

Oh and Hewitt's draw SUCKS. So, at least Andy's is not that bad :p

I don't know if I've ever said something like this before but Andy should make the SF/Final at least. :scared: :bolt:

Sounds like Andy did a little exhibition with Venus yesterday for Amex
-------------------
American aces boost British game
16 June 2005
This Is London

American tennis aces Venus Williams and Andy Roddick served up a financial boost for the British grassroots game in the unfamiliar surroundings of the Tower of London today.

The "crown jewels" of the game took time out from their Wimbledon preparations to support the American Express Aces Programme which funds tennis development around the world.

"The setting is just awesome," said Roddick, the 2003 US Open champion.

Williams, ladies' champion at Wimbledon in 2000 and 2001, agreed: "I'm thrilled to be part of it."

The £20,000 from the demonstration match between Roddick and Williams and the money raised at this year's Wimbledon - where American Express are donating £50 for every ace served - will go to Tennis for Free, the campaign started by comedian Tony Hawks to provide free courts in British parks, and the Lawn Tennis Association.

It will be used to renovate tennis courts in parks around the country and provide coaching and quipment for communities and schools across Britain.

Williams was more than happy to put something back into British tennis in return for the backing she has had from fans at Wimbledon over the years.

"My Wimbledon is always made by the fantastic crowds, the support is second to none," she said.

"You really get the feeling that the UK puts everything on hold for their two weeks of tennis and I'm thrilled to play a part in helping raise funds for the future of the game over here."

Roddick added: "Today's a great event that brings a slice of SW19 to central London.

"It's a fantastic marriage between a really unique event and a location steeped in history and tradition." (:haha::haha: I refuse to believe Andy actually said that!!!!!)

Wimbledon legend Billie Jean King, winner of a record 20 singles and doubles tiRoddick-Williams, is not ruling out the possibility of Martina Navratilova overtaking her total this year.

Navratilova, also on the 20-mark, is playing in the mixed doubles at Wimbledon and King said: "She might just do it. It's remarkable she's still playing at 48 years of age."

She recalled receiving a £45 gift voucher for her first singles success at Wimbledon back in 1966 and revealed a remarkable gesture from Fred Perry, the last British man to win a Wimbledon singles title.

"I didn't have enough money to get home so Fred Perry gave me £45 for the voucher to help me with my ticket. He wasn't supposed to do that," she said.

King, a pioneer of the women's professional game who collected £750 for her first Wimbledon success in the Open era, added: "We tried to help tennis become professional.

"It's the reason they are making all that money today and we are proud of that."

Golfnduck
06-16-2005, 02:46 PM
I don't think Andy's draw is that bad. He'll be tested, I'm not too worried about Soderling. Ivo will be tired coming into Wimbly, he's just not used to playing this many matches in a row. I think Andy could definately win Wimbledon this year :yeah:

Fumus
06-16-2005, 03:14 PM
Yea, I want to see Andy play Tiger Tim.

blosson
06-16-2005, 03:32 PM
Rafa could potentially meet Gasquet in the 3rd. If they meet, I bet Gasquet can beat Rafa this time.

Noelle
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
I'll weigh in here and say that I've got a bad feeling about Andy's draw, like the pit of my stomach's about to fall out through my mouth. :unsure: Now I understand why players absolutely hate looking too far ahead in the draw. :)

But I agree, Andy performed extremely well at the US Open 2003 when he drew a tough opponent in the first round (Henman?). He won the whole thing, didn't he?

Tytta!.
06-16-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't know what to think about the draw :unsure:

Just good luck Andy and do your best out there :D :banana:

Carito_90
06-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Ah uh... ahm... Karlovic in 2nd round could be tricky. I mean, that result'll be based on how good Andy does in the TBs. And that is based on how Andy's mentallity is doing... which is what worries me a little.
But I suppose he'll get out of it :)

Good luck Andy! :banana:

zoltan83
06-16-2005, 03:45 PM
In another point of view, Andy won her two last TB on grass against Karlovic :p

Good luck Andy!

MisterQ
06-16-2005, 04:17 PM
Ack, Karlovic! :scared:

If Andy can make it through the first few rounds, the next few might actually be easier! ;)

ALLEZ ANDY! :bounce:

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 04:18 PM
This is a great draw for Andy: it's not a cakewalk but it's not as tough as it could've been. Karlovic in the second round is the best thing for him: to get out and play right away instead of cruising. He's going to have to get into the winning mindset from game 1. :bounce: Nadal won't make it far and if he does, he'll get served off the grass the way Andy did him at USO. No, imo Andy's biggest threat in the whole draw is Tim Henman. And Henman's gotta be pumped to not see Hewitt on his side for once. ;)

Golfnduck
06-16-2005, 04:26 PM
I have to agree with you Tangy. The draw isn't that tough, but Andy does have to come out of the gate firing and pumped up.

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Like in your av Jen :) *that* pumped.

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 04:29 PM
btw, I'm calling it now, either Tennis Fool or Tennischick or some other hater obsessed with Andy is due to begin a thread in GM about Pat Cash's comments that Lleyton was unfairly demoted in the rankings. *sets watch timer* :)

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Tangy isn't there already a thread on that from his morning?

Oh dear a poster started a thread telling Hewitt to get his ass in 'gear' because he doesn't want to see a final where Andy gets his butt kicked by Roger again, which happened last year apparently...hmm so he didn't tune into the USO 04 final did he? :angel:

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 04:46 PM
oh I guess the Amex thing was TODAY.

This is ALLEGEDLY Andy and Venus

http://images.sportsline.com/u/ap/photos/LON802061610_1024x768.jpg

allanah
06-16-2005, 04:51 PM
heh @ 'allegedly'.

It's certainly Venus :lol:

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 04:51 PM
Ok now that I've had time to think about it, I don't feel as bad. Andy does much better when he is challenged, so as long as he comes out fired up I say GO ANDY!!! take it all :D :D :bounce:

Carito_90
06-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Tower of London :hearts: :hearts:
That is so effing beautiful.

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Does anybody dare to think the unthinkable and believe Andy will meet Lleyton in the final? Talk about a nail-biter final. :tape:

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 04:55 PM
Tangy now that scares me :lol:
OMC that pic makes me want to go to London NOW!! I so need a trip :)

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 04:56 PM
Yea, it's definitely them lol.

And yes, the Tower of London was one of my favorite places in the whole city. It was raining that day, I remember, and out of the 10 of us who were on the trip, I was the only one who went out and really explored - the rest just sat inside somewhere b/c they didn't want to deal with the rain. I was like..... oh, ok, this is the only time you'll ever do this for free and you'll let the rain stop you?!

Anyway, I was thinking about it, and Andy hasn't lost before the QF of a non-clay slam since Wimbledon 2002 :) I'll be nervous about the Karlovic and Soderling matches the day of, but right now difficult, but VERY beatable opponents.

Andy will not meet Lleyton in the final, IMO. Lleyton's draw is a beast.

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
Ok, it's official. Mitalidas is the dumbest, most annoying Fedtard in GM. :o until Dirk makes his reappearance, that is

Carito_90
06-16-2005, 04:59 PM
The Tower of London is beautiful. Spending 13 pounds never felt so good :lol:
It's so huge though, I wanted to stay more time there but I felt sort of sick and my parents wanted to leave so yeah :(
But God, I fell in love with London :hearts:

K, I'm back from daydreaming.

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 05:05 PM
Does anybody dare to think the unthinkable and believe Andy will meet Lleyton in the final? Talk about a nail-biter final. :tape:
I'm making myself physically ill just thinking about this http://smilies.xibase.com/sick3.gif http://forum.buffyworld.com/kruppa/vomit.gif

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 05:06 PM
:unsure: tangy, go out for a walk or something LOL :hug:

Givenchy
06-16-2005, 05:10 PM
Yea, it's definitely them lol.

Yep

http://tinypic.com/5zir1l

http://tinypic.com/5zir78

http://tinypic.com/5zir7s

http://tinypic.com/5zir8k

http://tinypic.com/5zir91

Golfnduck
06-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Andy in pants :unsure: Interesting......I haven't seen him play in warm-ups before. It must be cool in London.

guida
06-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Cool pics! :)

He shaaaaaved!!! :rocker2:

I love that warm-up suit.

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the pics....hmmmm he shaved :p ;) and his hair is getting longer :D :D

EssentialBeauty
06-16-2005, 05:21 PM
Hewitt has a hard draw but would he rather be in Andy's position right now, with the possibility of meeting Karlovic in the second round? :)

I know I shouldn't look too far ahead but...

I'm positively salivating at the prospect of a Andy-Tim matchup in the quarters, yet dreading it at the same time. I'm really torn between who to support in the eventuality - on the one hand there is my nationalistic loyalty; it would be a shame for Timmy to be knocked out before the semis again, but on the other hand...

...Oh sod patriotism! Go Andy!

Jennay
06-16-2005, 05:25 PM
I think it's a great draw. Good luck. :) And no, Andy and Lleyton will not be in the final. :p Well, Andy might be, but not Lleyton.

I love the warmup suit. :yeah: His hair looks so light. ;)

blosson
06-16-2005, 05:26 PM
Tangy isn't there already a thread on that from his morning?

Oh dear a poster started a thread telling Hewitt to get his ass in 'gear' because he doesn't want to see a final where Andy gets his butt kicked by Roger again, which happened last year apparently...hmm so he didn't tune into the USO 04 final did he? :angel:

hewitt = double bagles

momentlost
06-16-2005, 05:36 PM
I never realized how long Venus' legs are.

Andy looks like a dork with his headset. :haha: But cute!

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 05:42 PM
That tracksuit is very cute, i love it :) I remember a school trip to Tower of London...i got scared :lol:

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
Thanks JW! Yes, I still love the warmup suit and THANK GOD he shaved :haha: And yea, it looks like it was cold and rainy in london today, qualifying was delayed for a few hours due to rain and stuff.

Maybe HEWITT wouldn't want Andy's draw, well I don't know if ANDY is that thrilled about it, but for ANDY, he knows Karlovic is beatable, and overall, his draw is not as bad as Lleyton's, IMO.

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 05:46 PM
and Ivo lost the first set today :p

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 05:46 PM
Who does Hewitt have in his draw? i didn't see :o yeah the weather here was miserable, raining a little all day. I'm just hoping that the clouds get it out of their system before next week ;)

Black Adam
06-16-2005, 05:50 PM
I hope Andy handles this draw well.....I mean having hard matches and winning them may boost his confidence the further he goes...........not like in Australia where his first match might as well have been that semi against Potato ( who had lots of confidence due to playing lot's of tough matches :yeah: )
Just wish Andy Good luck :worship:

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 05:52 PM
His early rounds are easier - he's got Christophe Rochus in the first round, then James Blake... then very likely a qualifier since neither Sargsian or Massu are playing particlarly well right now nor are they that good on grass, but in the fourth round, he could have Dent or Ancic I think, QF he has Marat or Flip or someone.

It's a manageable draw, but it gets harder along the way. I'd rather have Andy be tested in rounds 2 and 3 and then have an "easier" draw later. But they're about the same, I guess, Lleyton's is not as bad as I had originally thought at first glance.

Golfnduck
06-16-2005, 05:53 PM
hewitt = double bagles
Hewitt likes being bageled, means he can get home to the wifey sooner.

MissFairy
06-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Lleytons seems very doable. Ancic is tough for fourth round but Marat/Flip in the QF is not to bad considering that alot of people don't expect Marat to get that far, and Flip has like ext to no match practice on any court recently.

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
the fascinating as always draw breakdown from AR.com. the match they talk about that Andy lost was 2001 in Delray beach, 46 76 46
----------
Strawberries and Cream, Anyone?
By Lucy Flory
2005-06-16
“If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster And treat those two impostors just the same;”

Andy will be pondering Kipling’s words carefully as he contemplates the Wimbledon 2005 draw. Despite being the number two seed, the All England Club has not been kind in their draw to Andy. Placed in the bottom half of the draw, Andy will face Jiri Vanek in the first round. The two have met once before, four years ago, when Andy was breaking onto the tennis scene. He lost that close match to Vanek, but it would be fair to say that the head to head is hardly much to go on, as Andy has risen to the top of tennis since then.

One of the biggest stories of the Wimbledon draw is the possibility of a tantalising second round match between Andy and Ivo Karlovic - a re-run of the Queen’s final. Surely, Karlovic’s name is one no player wanted to see near them in the draw. However Andy will be able to draw confidence from his straight sets win over Karlovic last week.

Andy’s half of the draw has some big name seeds including a possible quarterfinal match-up with British favourite, Tim Henman.

After reaching the final at Wimbledon last year, Andy will be more than ready to try and go one step further. As the final touches are put on Henman Hill, the last batches of strawberries, cream and Pims are ordered, Andy too will be making his final preparations.

“If you can dream - and not make dreams your master”…Andy has recently stated that Wimbledon is the Grand Slam he’d most like to win right now. Could this be his year?

Golfnduck
06-16-2005, 06:10 PM
A good article from ar.com :unsure: It's about damn time.

snaillyyy
06-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Smoking grass :smoke: with Captain Obvious again have they.

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 07:02 PM
So Oli won (yay!!!!!) in a long tough encounter and supposedly played extremely well. So now Karlovic has several days off before he plays at Wimby, so he won't be as tired as he would've been had he made it through. But I still think andy should beat him again. Unless they put the match on the graveyard court :unsure:

Tytta!.
06-16-2005, 07:06 PM
:unsure:

Faik Kheft
06-16-2005, 07:15 PM
They wouldn't put it on the graveyard court. They surely won't have many more interesting matches in round 2, will they?

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 07:19 PM
I hope not lol. He was on it in his 2nd round last year and I remember it was the first match on and he was cranky.

But no, it should be on Centre or court 1.

Faik Kheft
06-16-2005, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I remember that, he was a bit cranky. Threw his racket didn't he?

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Probably :lol:

allanah
06-16-2005, 07:32 PM
ooh, thank you JW for the pics :hug:

zoltan83
06-16-2005, 08:03 PM
So Oli won (yay!!!!!) in a long tough encounter and supposedly played extremely well. So now Karlovic has several days off before he plays at Wimby, so he won't be as tired as he would've been had he made it through. But I still think andy should beat him again. Unless they put the match on the graveyard court :unsure:
:woohoo: Oli :worship: You rock :cool:

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Roddick Given Tough Draw at Wimbledon
- By KRYSTYNA RUDZKI, AP Sports Writer
Thursday, June 16, 2005

(06-16) 11:48 PDT WIMBLEDON, England (AP) --

If Andy Roddick is to make his second straight Wimbledon final, he'll have to overcome a tough draw.

The American's projected path after Thursday's draw includes the tallest player on the tour, the local favorite and the new darling of tennis.

Roddick was seeded second by the All England Club, two spots higher than his ranking. He'll face Jiri Vanek, a Czech ranked 92nd in the world who was beaten in the first round of Wimbledon in 2000 and '01, in his opening match.

Then things get more difficult.

Roddick could face Ivo Karlovic of Croatia in the second round. The two met in Sunday's final of the Queen's Club tournament, with Roddick beating the 6-foot-10 Karlovic in two tiebreakers.

If he gets past Karlovic, Roddick's toughest potential opponents to reach the quarterfinals would be Xavier Malisse and Ivan Ljubicic.

In the quarterfinals, Roddick could face four-time semifinalist Tim Henman or Sebastien Grosjean, who was bumped up 17 places from his world ranking to the ninth seed.

Roddick may play French teenager Rafael Nadal in the semifinals. Earlier this month, Nadal won the French Open in his first attempt. The two have played twice, with Roddick winning on hardcourt and Nadal on his favored clay.

Other potential semifinal opponents are 2002 finalist David Nalbandian and Thomas Johansson.

Tytta!.
06-16-2005, 08:23 PM
Thanks, sis :hug:

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 08:59 PM
OK who's gonna hook us up? :angel:
http://www.wireimage.com/GalleryListing.asp?navtyp=gls=2=22==122516&nbc1=2

smucav
06-16-2005, 09:03 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/06/16/wimbledon.men/index.htmlWimbledon men's seed report
Roddick primed for a deep run, where Roger awaits
Posted: Thursday June 16, 2005 12:31PM; Updated: Thursday June 16, 2005 12:41PM

Sports Illustrated senior writer Jon Wertheim offers his insight as to how the men's and women's seeds will fare at Wimbledon. Read on for the top first-round matchups, dark horses to keep an eye on and his predicted winners.

Top 16 seeds
1. Roger Federer. Even if he didn't have a chip on his shoulder after Paris, the two-time defending champ has to be considered the overwhelming favorite. Most underrated statistic in sports: Federer has won the last 20 finals in which he's played.

2. Andy Roddick. He could upgrade his unremarkable year with a (sorely needed) strong performance on grass. He's looked sharp in tune-ups and -- despite his choppy net play -- this might be the ideal surface for his lock-and-load game and underrated athleticism. He can't be happy about an early matchup against Ivo Karlovic, but he still has a good shot at another final.

3. Lleyton Hewitt. Pops Hewitt probably got a raw deal from the seeding committee, but they made it up to him with a generally congenial draw. A possible second-rounder against James Blake is intriguing, as always.

4. Rafael Nadal. The inevitable letdown after the clay-court tear won't be as dramatic as many think. Nadal still is a long way from feeling comfortable on grass, but the guess here is that he wins three matches.

5. Marat Safin. As he has made abundantly clear, grass is not his preferred surface. Plus he's playing on an iffy knee, and he got no help from a draw that pits him first against Paradorn Srichaphan and then against the Mark Philippoussis-Karol Beck winner. Of course, given his history of inexplicable results, this all could mean that Safin will go on to win the tournament.

6. Tim Henman. One of those players who quietly could sneak through the draw without garnering much attention. As always, the Brit native will not only have to compete with the likes of Sebastien Grosjean and Roddick in his quadrant, but also with national hysteria.

7. Guillermo "Willie" Canas. Tennis' Ben Wallace -- perhaps the game's best defensive player -- is not a threat on the greensward.

8. Nikolay Davydenko. Interesting prospect: Though his track record on grass is unremarkable, his efficient, minimalist game would seem to fit the surface.

9. Sebastien Grosjean. A semifinalist two years running, he got a huge bump from the subjective seeding (he's ranked No. 26). Potential tough first-rounder against left-handed countryman Mike Llodra.

10. Mario Ancic. Inasmuch as a former semifinalist and No. 10 seed can be a dark horse, Ancic is your man. Baby Goran (or Baby Pau Gasol, as the case may be) has a big serve and wham-bam game ideal for grass. If the serve is working, the semifinals are a real possibility.

11. Joachim Johansson. In theory, the hard-serving Swede is real contender. But questions about his health linger. He's in Federer's quadrant and, should the two play on Johansson's birthday, we know the recent history.

12. Thomas Johansson. It's surprising this deceptively powerful Swede doesn't have a stronger track record at Wimbledon. He's playing in a wide-open quadrant, so look for a strong showing from 2002 Aussie Open champ.

13. Tommy Robredo. Grass doesn't afford him the time he requires to hit his big forehand. He can't complain about his draw, but don't be surprised if he goes down early -- say to Florian Mayer in Round 2.

14. Radek Stepanek. A powerful player with nice hands around the net. One to watch for sure.

15. Guillermo Coria. He'll be lucky to win against Tom Behrend. But unlike other clay-court impresarios Carlos Moya, Gaston Gaudio, Albert Costa and Juan Ignacio Chela, credit him for showing up.

16. Mariano Puerta. He's never won a grass-court match. Enough said.

Seeds 17-32
18. David Nalbandian. El Mullet has been sluggish all year, but he was a Wimbledon finalist in '02.

20. Ivan Ljubicic. He cooled off after torrid start to '05, but he's a player to watch now that there's a fast court underfoot.

22. Taylor Dent. This his best chance for a deep Slam run.

28. Jiri Novak. He's past his prime, but he sure has a sweet draw.

Dark-horse nation
Ivo Karlovic. If he can serve Roddick off the court in Round 2, look out.

Max Mirnyi. Generally a horrible Grand Slam singles player. But on the serve alone, he ought to win a few rounds.

Alexander Popp. A wise man once said, "Never pick against an onomatopoeia."

Karol Beck/Mark Philippoussis. The winner of this first-round matchup could go far.

Paradorn Srichaphan. In the throes of a miserable year but usually plays well on grass.

Phil Kohlscreiber. Yet another German with grass-court aptitude.

Olivier Rochus. As always.

First-round matchups to watch
Beck vs. Philippoussis. Lousy draw for both.

Safin vs. Srichaphan. At another time, on another surface, this could have been a final.

Vince Spadea vs. Nadal. Eccentric American could give French Open champ a workout.

Nicolas Massu vs. Sarge Sargsian. Best '04 U.S. Open match redux.

Henman vs. Jarko Nieminen. "Their Tim" can't be happy about facing a lefty veteran off the bat.

Doubles Winner
Bob and Mike Bryan

Semifinals
Thomas Johansson vs. Roddick
Federer vs. Ancic

Finals
Federer vs. Roddick

Winner
Federer

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/06/16/wimbledon.men/p1_roddick_0616.jpg
Andy Roddick has looked sharp in grass tune-ups, and could meet Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final for the second straight year.
Bob Martin/SI

allanah
06-16-2005, 09:16 PM
His netplay is not 'choppy'. These journos are so unoriginal.:rolleyes: If you are going to compare everyone with Roger then of course all the players will look unrefined. They need to get over perpetuating this myth that Andy is some sort of primitve caveman who just happens to randomly stumble onto a court with a racquet in his hand to play tennis. He's going to surprise a few people in a few days.

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
Deb, I put some of the WI images on RO already :angel:

Also, watch out for your new stalker, Matiladas, it's starting to quote you from old threads in GM. :lol:

Allanah, your post is :worship: I already good-repped you though :sad:

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 09:28 PM
I put mitalidas on ignore last night, remember? Let him say whatever he wants.

Thanks for the heads up about RO :kiss:

blosson
06-16-2005, 09:38 PM
His netplay is not 'choppy'. These journos are so unoriginal.:rolleyes: If you are going to compare everyone with Roger then of course all the players will look unrefined. They need to get over perpetuating this myth that Andy is some sort of primitve caveman who just happens to randomly stumble onto a court with a racquet in his hand to play tennis. He's going to surprise a few people in a few days.

if
andy = caveman
then
roger = butler
and
caveman beats butler :D

smucav
06-16-2005, 09:43 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/3692594?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=19910 burning questions for Wimbledon
Dan C. Weil / Special to FOXSports.com

The tennis tour's grass-court season is short, lasting only five weeks. But it peaks with the world's most historically prestigious event — Wimbledon. The tournament at London's All England Club runs June 20-July 3. Grass courts highly reward athleticism, so it should be quite exciting. Here are 10 Burning Questions heading into the Big W.

1. Can Roger Federer pull a three-peat?
Yes, the Swiss wunderkind is a strong favorite to take the title for a third straight year. He has taken over from Pete Sampras, who won Wimbledon a record-sharing seven times, as king of the grass. Federer's game combines genius and serenity. He can play aggressively from the baseline, serve and volley and defend well when necessary. Last week, he won a Wimbledon tune-up tournament in Germany, giving him 29 straight match wins on grass. With that record and only three losses this year, Federer comes into the tournament with huge confidence and leaves the other players with doubt that they can beat him.

2. Can Maria Sharapova win again on the women's side?
Yes, though she isn't the overwhelming favorite that Federer is. Last year, at age 17, she shocked the world by taking down Serena Williams in the final. The Russian native has backed it up since, rising to No. 2 in the world rankings. Her powerful serve and booming, flat groundstrokes put opponents on the defensive. She also keeps the ball low, which is very effective on grass. And Sharapova is a very feisty competitor. She won a Wimbledon tune-up event last week without playing her best tennis. So she comes to London with a lot of self-belief.

3. Can Andy Roddick challenge Federer for the crown?
Yes. Roddick has had his ups and downs over the past year. But the American gave Federer a strong run for his money in last year's Wimbledon final. And Roddick enters Wimbledon with some confidence of his own, winning a tune-up tournament in London last week for the third year in a row. The strengths of his game remain a huge serve and forehand. He has worked hard to improve his volley, though it's not always a pretty sight. Roddick would have an edge over almost everyone except Federer. But the world number one would have to slip in his level of play for Roddick to beat him.

4. Can Justine Henin-Hardenne win her first Wimbledon?
Yes. She is an equal favorite with Sharapova. Having just won the French Open, the Belgian has to feel good about her game. She has the most all-around ability on the women's side, which will serve her particularly well at Wimbledon. Her groundstrokes are strong and varied, and her movement is impressive. She can volley well when she is willing to come to the net and is perhaps the tour's most intense competitor. But she has suffered from a variety of injuries over the past year and isn't playing any Wimbledon tune-ups. So she may be a bit vulnerable.

5. Can Lleyton Hewitt threaten for the title?
Yes. But it's hard to know exactly what the feisty Australian will bring to the table. He won Wimbledon in 2002, with an aggressive baseline game. His retrieval skills are amazing, and he never gives up. But a cracked rib kept him out of the French Open, and he lost in the quarterfinals of a Wimbledon tune-up last week to hard-serving Ivo Karlovic. Hewitt plays with a chip on his shoulder, which hasn't always served him well the past couple years. And Federer has beaten him seven straight times.

6. Can Lindsay Davenport live up to her top seed?
That will be tough. The American won Wimbledon in 1999. But despite her No. 1 ranking, Davenport hasn't won a Grand Slam tournament since 2000. Her game certainly works well on grass. She possesses power-packed groundstrokes and a cannon serve. The issue with Davenport seems to be self-belief against the top players. When those matches start to turn against her, she often slumps her shoulders, puts an anguished look on her face and appears to give in to defeat. She'll have a tough time against the other top favorites.

7. Can Marat Safin have an impact?
Yes, but he faces a steep climb to win the tournament. Safin advanced to the finals of the Wimbledon tune-up in Germany last week, losing to Federer in a hard-fought match. The Russian has a strong game for grass, built around power with superb all-around skills. However, Safin is fighting a knee injury, and his fragile psyche is subject to frequent meltdowns. After losing in the first round of Wimbledon last year, he briefly suggested he wouldn't return. Still, he has a better attitude about it this year and beat Federer at the Australian Open in January.

8. Can the Williams sisters win again?
Yes, but they aren't the favorites like they once were, particularly Venus. Serena won Wimbledon in 2002-2003, and she took the Australian Open this year. But the victory down under was due more to force of will than scintillating tennis. Serena hasn't won a tournament since and skipped the French Open with a sprained ankle. Venus hasn't conquered a Grand Slam event in four years. Both sisters seem pre-occupied with outside interests, particularly fashion. But with their big-hitting games, if either Williams gets hot, she's a threat to win the whole thing. And Serena may have the confidence to get through big matches.

9. Can Rafael Nadal do damage?
Yes, but he's unlikely to win the tournament. The 19-year-old Spaniard was awesome in taking the French Open. He cares about performing well at Wimbledon, unlike some past French Open champs, and isn't afraid to volley. But Nadal's big swing on the forehand and extreme grip changes make grass a difficult surface, because the ball will come to him more quickly than on other surfaces. He lost in the first round of the Wimbledon tune-up in Germany last week. Nadal is vulnerable to big servers, though his speed, strokes and attitude could carry him to Wimbledon's second week.

10. Can Tim Henman finally win Wimbledon?
No, but you have to respect his effort. Nearly all of Britain seems to root hard for its native son, almost as if he can bring back the country's lost empire. Alas, he's never reached the final, though he has made it to at least the quarterfinals eight times. Henman has a beautiful athletic game, serving and volleying with panache. But at age 30, his time is running out. It would be a wonderful story for Tiger Tim to win, but fairy tales don't often come true.

Dan Weil is a FOXSports.com contributor. He can be reached at dancweil@aol.com.

heya
06-16-2005, 09:51 PM
Brad reminded everyone constantly that Karlovic was too tough for Andy 'cause
Andy was limited talent-wise (inability to hit a backhand/refusing to hit forehand/volley). Andy :hearts: Brad til this day!
Strange. Andy could do everything after you, Brad, were fired.
* :bigwave:

heya
06-16-2005, 10:06 PM
These articles are disgraceful, but what do I expect? Yeah, Andy's ugly and anything "pretty" is nonexistent. No wonder, he had no desire to fight his hardest.

These writers are geniuses--they sure know who genius players and ugly, average players are.
They lavish praise on anyone not named Roddick.

tangerine_dream
06-16-2005, 10:10 PM
This is why Andy makes such a good photo subject. :lol:

http://tinypic.com/5zmgdy
Andy Roddick could be headed for another meeting with 6-foot-10 Ivo Karlovic like Sunday's two-tiebreaker win for the American.

Roddick shuttled into rugged half of Wimbledon bracket

WIMBLEDON, England — If Andy Roddick is to make his second straight Wimbledon final, he'll have to overcome a tough draw. The American's projected path after Thursday's draw includes the tallest player on the tour, the local favorite and the new darling of tennis.

Defending champion Roger Federer seems to have an easier path. His toughest projected match could come in the semifinals, with possible opponents being 2002 champion Lleyton Hewitt or last year's semifinalist Mario Ancic.

"I came into Wimbledon last year with a lot of pressure on me, as I was defending my title for the first time, but this year will be a lot easier," Federer said before the draw. "As soon as I get going I will be tough to beat."

On the women's side, Serena Williams could face sister Venus in the fourth round after both were drawn in the bottom half.

Roddick was seeded second by the All England Club, two spots higher than his ranking. He'll face Jiri Vanek, a Czech ranked 92nd in the world who was beaten in the first round of Wimbledon in 2000 and '01, in his opening match.

Then things get more difficult.

Roddick could face Ivo Karlovic of Croatia in the second round. The two met in Sunday's final of the Queen's Club tournament, where Roddick beat the 6-foot-10 Karlovic in two tiebreakers.

If he gets past Karlovic, then Roddick's toughest potential opponents to reach the quarterfinals would be Xavier Malisse and Ivan Ljubicic.

In the quarterfinals, Roddick could face four-time semifinalist Tim Henman or Sebastien Grosjean, who was bumped up 17 places from his world ranking to the ninth seed.

Roddick may play French teen Rafael Nadal in the semifinals. Earlier this month, Nadal won the French Open in his first attempt. The two have played twice — Roddick won on hardcourt and Nadal on his favored clay.

Other potential semifinal opponents include 2002 finalist David Nalbandian and Thomas Johansson.

If the Williams sisters were to play, then the winner could face Belgium's Justin Henin-Hardenne in the quarterfinals — with defending champion Maria Sharapova potentially waiting in the semifinals.

Top-seeded Lindsay Davenport has an easier time in the top half of the draw. Her toughest projected match would not come until the quarterfinals, when she could face Kim Clijsters.

Davenport plays Russia's Alina Jidkova in her opening match and could face U.S. Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova in the quarterfinals and third-seeded Amelie Mauresmo in the semifinals.

Sharapova opens against Nuria Vives Llagostera of Spain and could then face 15-year-old Sesil Karatantcheva, who beat Venus Williams in the third round of the French Open, or talented teenager Tatiana Golovin of France.

Fourth-seeded Serena Williams, who won Wimbledon in 2002 and '03, drew Angela Haynes in the first round, while Venus Williams was paired against a qualifier. Venus won Wimbledon in 2000 and '01 but was seeded only 14th this year.

Serena leads Venus 7-6 in overall meetings, eight of them in finals, including three at Wimbledon. Venus won their last meeting, in the quarterfinals of Nasdaq-100 tournament in Key Biscayne, Fla., on March 29.

Federer will begin his bid for a third consecutive title on Centre Court against Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu.

Federer has a relatively easy run to the quarterfinals, potentially facing seeded players Nicolas Kiefer, Juan Carlos Ferrero, Nikolay Davydenko or grass-court specialist Jonas Bjorkman.

Hewitt plays Christophe Rochus of Belgium in the first round. He could face a tough match against fifth-seeded Marat Safin or Ancic in the quarterfinals.

Mark Philippoussis of Australia, the 2003 runner-up who is a wild card in this tournament, opens against Karol Beck of Slovakia and could face Safin in the second round. Safin plays Paradorn Srichaphan of Thailand in the first round.

surfpinky
06-16-2005, 11:36 PM
if
andy = caveman
then
roger = butler
and
caveman beats butler :D
:haha:

surfpinky
06-16-2005, 11:37 PM
out of all the pictures, USA today picked that one :lol:
Good article too, thanks! :]

Deboogle!.
06-16-2005, 11:53 PM
From the USTA.com preview - Andy is given four balls this time, along with Roger and Lleyton:
---------------
Andy Roddick – Now that his least-favorite interlude, the perennially perplexing clay-court season, has come and gone, Roddick can breathe a sigh of relief and revert back to what he does best: cranking up the rpm’s on the forehand and painting the service box with blistering aces that defy scientific law on the speed gun. A notoriously quick starter on grass, the American dynamo has burst through the gate, earning his third straight Stella Artois Championship. Justifying the second favorite status along with Federer leading into Wimbledon, Roddick passed a stern test against 2003 Wimbledon finalist Mark Philippoussis with flying colors, handled Frenchman Sebastien Grosjean with ease, downed Radek Stepanek in the semifinals, before defeating hulking Croat Ivo Karlovic in the final round. A mere 10 ranking points off French champ Rafael Nadal’s third-place lead, the 2004 runner-up was rewarded by the Wimbledon organizers with the second seed, avoiding Federer’s half on the opposite end of the draw.

Full thing at: http://www.usta.com/protennis/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=182934

Deboogle!.
06-17-2005, 12:14 AM
OMG HEYA THAT IS REPULSIVE.

surfpinky
06-17-2005, 12:20 AM
Heya, wha? :rolls:
ewww :o

missbungle
06-17-2005, 12:32 AM
heya :haha:

Carito_90
06-17-2005, 02:06 AM
ewwwwwww. That is GROSS.

Anyway, someone's a bit late here (me, duh), but those pics of Andy with his warm-up outift are gorgeous :) Thanks!

Deboogle!.
06-17-2005, 02:14 AM
This is from Tennis Week. PMac had some REALLY GOOD :smoke::drink: lately.
----------------------
Federer Finds Favorable Wimbledon Draw
By Richard Pagliaro
06/17/2005

Tennis comes to life at Wimbledon. Grass is the only Grand Slam surface that grows and dies during the course of the two-week tournament. The surface serves as a repeated reminder than the laws of natural selection apply to sport even its most serene setting.

The question is: who will challenge Federer on the final Sunday?

Patrick McEnroe has an answer.

"I'm going to make a prediction now: Andy Roddick will be playing for the title on the final Sunday," the U.S. Davis Cup captain and ESPN analyst told Tennis Week today.:o "He's won Queen's Club three years in a row, he was a Wimbledon finalist last year, he's playing well, he's confident and the grass at Wimbledon with it's higher bounce is actually better for his game than the grass at Queen's Club, which is slicker and a bit faster." :scratch:

The fourth-ranked Roddick's recent grass-court results have earned him the second seed. He opens against Jiri Vanek and could face his tallest test of the first week in a potential second-round clash with 6-foot-10 Croatian tower of power Ivo Karlovic that would be a rematch of Sunday's Queen's Club final in which Roddick squeezed out 7-6(7), 7-6(4) victory.

The tallest man in Grand Slam history has made his mark on grass. Two years ago, Karlovic dismissed defending champion Lleyton Hewitt from Wimbledon, 1-6, 7-6(5), 6-3, 6-4 in a shocking first-round victory of historic proportions. It marked the first time in the Open Era a men's defending champion was defeated in the opening round. Last week, Karlovic cast another sizeable shadow across a grass court in conquering Hewitt again at Queen's Club.

Returning Karlovic's serve on grass is as easy as catching a BB fired from the top of a building. Federer has called Karlovic's serve the toughest in tennis. Lines people may want to consider wearing helmets and flak jackets to avoid the missiles launched from the racquets of two of tennis' most explosive servers. Its the kind of match that would prompt felt to flee from the balls and run for cover if it possible.

"The first thing everyone in the draw was looking at was: Where is Dr. Ivo?" McEnroe said. "And if you're Roddick you know how dangerous Karlovic can be because you just played him. It will certainly be a test, but I believe Roddick will get through. Obviously, Karlovic has one of the nastiest serves you'll see, but Roddick will have more of a look on Karlovic's second serve at Wimbledon than he had at Queen's Club. So I don't necessarily think you'll see every set decided in a tiebreak as you did at Queen's because I think Roddick is capable of getting a break in each set." :haha:

Carito_90
06-17-2005, 02:17 AM
Awww PMac is so optimistic about everything it's almost sweet. :).... ALMOST. :o