Why is grass so difficult for Marat? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why is grass so difficult for Marat?

gillian
06-12-2005, 08:16 PM
His volleys aren't putting the lights out, but with his big serve & athleticism, he should play better on grass than he does, no? Any ideas on why the surface is so difficult for him?

Lady Natalia
06-12-2005, 08:17 PM
His volleys aren't putting the lights out, but with his big serve & athleticism, he should play better on grass than he does, no? Any ideas on why the surface is so difficult for him?

It cant be that difficult considering he made it to the finals of both, singles and doubles.

Shadow
06-12-2005, 08:19 PM
As Marat said himself, it has more to do with Marats mental stage than his game and everybody knows that. Surely, he has a good game for grass.
Somehow he always thought he doesnt feel comfortable.

the cat
It's both physical and mental. It's hard for a 6'5" man like Safin to feel comfortable on grass with all the bending that's involved. And mentally he doesn't like grass so that gives him a bad attitude about it. But Marat made the quarterfinals at Wimbledon in 2001 and I expect him to equal or better that result this year if his troublesome left knee is okay.

Neely
I think more he was/is talking himself into believing that grass is not good for him. I would guess it's more mental, like a lot with him ;)

Haute
06-12-2005, 08:28 PM
Hasn't he said before that he has a hard time on grass because the balls typically bounce lower, making it harder for him to get to them?

He must have figured something out this week in Halle.

Dirk
06-12-2005, 08:30 PM
He is probably the beat indoor player on tour so he should be great on grass since every indoor player in the past that was great on indoors was great on grass too. Marat can win Wimbledon in his career, of course he has to realize that for it to happen. It would be easier for him to win that than Rg in my opinion.

janks
06-12-2005, 08:32 PM
well sure its cause of the low bounce, bending those knees and the way you move/run on grass (sliding etc not involved)... aside from that factor his game is no worse then others' who do well...

Neely
06-12-2005, 08:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Marat normally like the low bounce? I remember him saying that the low bounce of the carpet in Paris Bercy perfectly suits him and that this is a key to why he has been so successful there in the past. So the bounce on grass shouldn't be so bad for him, maybe it's more because grass is a natural surface which includes bad bounces, even more the further you progress into a tournament because the grass is time-worn the more matches have been played.

Skyward
06-12-2005, 08:43 PM
It's both physical and mental. It's hard for a 6'5" man like Safin to feel comfortable on grass with all the bending that's involved.

It's all in his head. Tall men like Ivanisevic and Krajicek had a lot of success on grass.

Is Marat still growing? I thought he was 6'4''. ;)

robinhood
06-12-2005, 08:48 PM
Because a hippo is supposed to live in water, not on grass.

Vass
06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
I think it's mostly mental.
Yes the bounces are low but IF he just attempts to play he is more than capable of playing even the low bounces. He CAN bend the knees and everything else. And it seems that he can do it great.

nermo
06-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Well, i think there can be many reasons involved here..first..Grass has low ball bounce so, it requires fast running and fast thinking..which means physical and mental effort..Safin' s height sometimes gives him a burden to run fast..as tall ppl runs slower..so he just misses some important balls when trying to run from the baseline to the net.. cuz Safin lacks good and accurate footwork needed on grass .second..there's psychic reason, the guy just persuaded himself that he's not good on grass so u can say it's got inside him ..but honestly Safin is trying to and is succeeeding in improving on Grass. he makes good results on grass now.so what's more accurately left here is the psychic reason..and who knows?..if one day he wakes up getting over it, he can make surprises..

Haute
06-12-2005, 09:08 PM
I think it's not a matter of his height, but his flexibility. Venus is only three inches shorter than Marat, yet she's won Wimbledon twice. It's all about how you make use of your height. If you're more flexible, you may not need to be faster to get to the low bounces because you'll have an extended reach.

Maybe all Marat really needs is a few sessions of yoga. ;)

Jenrios
06-12-2005, 09:09 PM
I think it's a mental thing. I remember when Tony Pickhard had a stint working with him on grass - he said the hardest thing was convincing Marat he could play on grass.

nermo
06-12-2005, 09:18 PM
ofcourse height is not the only reason...but i get the feeling that Safin sometimes himself feels the burden of being tall,more than the advantage of reaching faster with few steps..don't know..but i can see it from his foot work..sometimes his feet just don't find the way..they just hit eachother ..and it may sound weird but i think this is not only due to technical errors but a mental factor gets in it too.. :confused:

soonha
06-12-2005, 09:59 PM
All things are upon his mind. He's always have preference for certain tournaments(e.g. AO, Paris TMS, indoor games, ...) regardless of the surfaces, which is his principal problem, IMO.

So-called "height" theory is not that persuasive. His big serves, which are so important on grass, are (at least in part) coming from his height. Plus he has decent volleys. So his height rather can be an advantage for him on grass. And as Neely pointed out, if the low bounce of the carpet in Paris Bercy suits him, grass also can suit him(BTW, what happened at AO where the balls are high-bouncing). His movement is quite good on any surfaces even on clay for such a big guy so it's not supposed to bother him that much.

I know this is a little harsh on him because I like him but, I have to say, I have a feeling that he makes some rooms for excuses and self-rationalization for his poor records on grass.

janks
06-12-2005, 11:03 PM
yes, I think its more mental (having in mind all the factors he's not mad about on grass)...but I think its a reverse process.. he is 'bad' cause he thinks he cant play (or is just too lazy for grass), not cause he actually cant... and since grass season is too short (2 t'ments mostly) he just got into a losing streak, so he said to himself "I cant play and dont like it"..and then, he lost his next match and that was it... he was 'convinced' its so..