Ordina Open - Saturday Report! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ordina Open - Saturday Report!

CooCooCachoo
06-11-2005, 09:49 PM
Hey :cool:

I went to the Ordina Open in Rosmalen today. I went to Schiedam by train to meet Sarah (inkymisafan) and Ed/James picked us up and we went to Rosmalen.

We got there early, tried to sneak in without a ticket (my bad influence), but failed on the verge of getting in. Anyway, we got a ticket then and stayed the rest of the very cold, sometimes boring, but overall nice day.

I only watched practicing today (this report will include both ATP and WTA players), so no qualifying matches (not even Michael Kohlmann, cause I wanted to watch players practise instead). It was rather hard recognizing certain players, which was not so shocking to know that the qualifying entry list closed at Rick Schalkers :tape:

Anyway, I recognized Anna-Lena Grönefeld practising with Meghann Shaughnessy. ALG had some weird think on her ankles, that would stretch whenever she moved. This was to help her footwork or whatever. She was up and about all day long and doing very funny things like throwing a ball in some weird way. Later on she also practised with her doubles partner this week, Martina Navratilova, and two guys in some sort of test match (they each partnered a guy).

I also recognized Jean-François Bachelot :bounce: He's a great guy and a great doubles player, so I hoped he'd do well. He didn't know yet if he'd play doubles and as it turns out he is not in the doubles draw. He was very pleasantly surprised that someone recognized him. This was the case with quite some players today, actually ;)

Also thought Kirill Ivanov-Smolensky and Paul Logtens were nice as always (Kirill loves it here, he says). And got Philipp Petzschner's autograph as well and a picture. He looks much better than last year.

And the hope of Argentinean junior tennis, Emiliano Massa, was also there so I got his too (and he's kind of hot).

Of course I saw many main draw players, so I will just tell a bit about them here:

Gilles Muller practised twice today and he did so with Robin Söderling, who almost took out Federer in Halle. He seemed to be enjoying himself on court, which is a good sign. He needs to buy a razor though. Söderling was happy with his performance last week, but I think he was a bit disappointed. He could do well here with his game.

Lars Burgsmüller only practised once, together with Björn Phau, who got in last-minute due to withdrawals. I really like Phau ;) He's a very nice guy and a great player to look at. He was also spotted watching Lars Übel's match against Massa.

At the end of the afternoon, Tommy Robredo practised together with Guillermo Coría, just like last year (at about the same time on the Saturday). He played much better than last year though ;) Tommy looked in great shape and was having a great time on court, joking about. Guillermo was also in a great mood and seems to be one of those clay court players that doesn't really mind the transition from clay to grass. He was nice to the fans as well, which isn't always the case.

Coría then left and Robredo continued practising with Mariano Hood (who is going bald really quickly now). Of course Tommy was better, but he still shouted in frustration sometimes, but in a rather unserious manner. When he left the court, he saw some of the Spanish girls and Anabel Medina Garrigues was actually bending over and he kicked her in the legs :angel: Not too hard, though ;) She could laugh about it ;) By the way, there are rumours that Tommy and Gisela Dulko are dating. It looked more like Tommy and Gisela Dulko's brother, Alejandro I believe, are dating :tape: They were talking all the time and he was not really getting involved with Gisela. Dulko practised with her brother only.

Tommy signed by Spanish flag, as well as Virginia Ruano Pascual. I asked her if she was playing with Paola, but she said Paola wasn't coming :crying2: She wanted a break..

Nuria Llagostera Vives also signed my flag and was so sweet! She asked who else had signed it (Feliciano Lopez and Fernando Verdasco at that time), where I was from and what not. I also asked her if she played doubles, so she says yeah with Iveta Benesova. So I told her Iveta is a pretty OK doubles player and she says, well I hope so! :haha: That was really funny.

Iveta Benesova practised with Klara Koukalova, who is obviously a couple with her coach. They are very touchy-feely and need to get a room. He was stroking her leg and it looked completely ridiculous! But rather sweet too.

Maria Kirilenko practised with Dinara Safina and looked pretty good and was not so bitchy as in Luxembourg, which was a relief. Safina, on the other hand, was not so friendly as in Luxembourg. She also practised with Mariana Diaz-Oliva before. Mariana was also nice, but I don't expect her to get further than the first round.

I saw Michael Llodra when I left, but he was just sitting in a chair so that was boring. Paul-Henri Mathieu practised together with Mario Ancic and went for the incognito look with his hair and facial hair all messy. Sorry Paulo, didn't work. Didn't really watch their practice session though. Ancic had practised together with Coría before that.

Andrei Pavel practised together with doubles partner Gabriel Trifu, who asked if I had all flags, just cause I had the Romanian one :shrug: Well, I only have the Romanian and the Spanish. I hope they do well, cause they're a nice team and I really like Andrei!

Raemon Sluiter practised twice today, one time with Jan Hernych. And let's face it, he needs the practice after that poor loss to Philippoussis last week. He thought maybe if I get a haircut, I do better, cause his hair was ultrashort!

Back to the women.. Elena Dementieva has a weird choice of picking partners to practise with. She chose Denisa Chladkova and Claudine Schaul, not two players known for their great play the last few months. Elena was as sweet as always. Always smiling, happy to sign and pose for the fans and always being the gracious person she is :hearts: We all know about Elena's crappy serve and well, she does too. So she decided it is time to do something about it. She got serving giant Richard Krajicek to teach her! It looked so funny, but it might prove a good thing. It surely can't harm her serve! By the way, Chladkova actually wasn't even that bitchy today. That is a first.

Who was sort of bitchy (not too bad, but just not a pleasant person IMO), is Martina Navratilova. She doesn't really care about her fans much, I think. And she doesn't care about journalists for sure. I overheard her telling a journalist off completely. The guy wanted to have a story in on Sunday, so he wanted an interview with her today. But she was not going to cooperate! She said other guys couldn't get it today, so he can't either. The guy kept pushing, but no is no with Martina.

Martina practised a LOT today. Not only with Grönefeld, but also with Shahar Peer. Peer looked absolutely stunning! Very tanned, great figure and hitting well too. Very pleasantly surprised by her, after having seen her at Wimbledon juniors last year and she didn't look that well.

Marta Domachowska is feeling a bit sick, but looks absolutely beautiful! She could do some damage here, I guess.

Jelena Kostanic really likes compatriot Mario Ancic; they were talking for ages about thinks I couldn't really interpret. Only I could decipher Sharapova and Davis Cup, but of course not in the same sentence. When I asked whether she was playing doubles with Claudine Schaul, she said no and she didn't really know why not. She will play with Domachowska instead. Could be a nice team.

Highlight of the day was Aravane Rezaï, who got in by winning ITF Saint Gaudens and thus got a feed-up spot. I asked for a picture and autograph and she was completely shocked that someone recognized her. She was like Uhhand seemed to wonder where I knew her from. I told her I thought she played well against Sharapova at RG. I really liked her game and presence on court, as far as I could tell from my lazy seat. She was like so pleasantly surprised that someone knew her. Then later, when I was sitting on the grass, she approached me and asked if she could see my other autographs. I only had one book with me, cause the other two are full so they are no use there. Anyways, she started looking through the entire book and was like oh him and oh her and wondered where I got them. She concluded that I must really like tennis ;) After that, she started to jog (she did that a lot) and everytime she passed me, she would smile and wave :lol: Such a sweet and great girl. I really wish her all the best and hopefully she'll beat Chladkova, which isn't the worst of draws.

Alina Jidkova and Nadia Petrova practised together, but I didn't see much if anything of that. Jidkova looks much older than a few years ago, though.

Elise Tamaëla was also there. She is not playing Rosmalen (did not get a WC), but told me she was practising here and she will fly to London tomorrow. Good luck to her! My favourite active Dutch female player! She practised several times, one of which with Lucie Safarova who has some Anna Chakvetadze-like features (particularly the eyes). Safarova also got a feed-up spot, by winning Prostejov. Also saw Dally Randriantefy who is really nice. She practised with someone obviously, but I forgot with whom. Oh well.

Beti Sekulovski and Cindy Watson were also there, hoping to get in to the doubles draw. It will be extremely hard for them to get in, I think, but who knows. Cindy got attacked by a herd of annoying kids having know idea who she was.

Also playing doubles is Trudi Musgrave, but she didn't yet know with whom that would be. She is still looking for a partner. She is super friendly, as is her coach. She said she came back from winter at home (Australia) and she didn't expect it to be this cold. They also wondered about how much it rained last week and what the expectations were. Oh and she will be playing doubles with Akiko Morigami at Wimbledon!

On the men's doubles side, I saw Jim Thomas and Jordan Kerr practising together for about 1½ hours. Was going to give Jim a photo and ask him to sign one as well, but Navratilova was there and I had to go after her cause her autograph still was missing from my collection! Maybe I'll see Jim and Jordan again tomorrow. Jordan was talking to Trudi Musgrave after practice, by the way.

Cyril Suk and Pavel Vizner practised together and they will be the team to beat, I predict. They are very nice guys. Also saw Tomas Cibulec on a court just when I was leaving.

Martin Garcia practised with Mariano Hood, Rick Leach with Travis Parrott. That is about it. Can't think of anyone I left out.

Unfortunately no sign of Karol Kucera and Guillermo Garcia-Lopez, two players I really like. Maybe tomorrow! It will be even colder than today :eek: Probably will rain too, but let's hope for the best.

I also asked a lot of players who they would play doubles with, so I can give you a scoop here on some of the teams ;):

- Anna-Lena Grönefeld & Martina Navratilova
- Gisela Dulko & Maria Kirilenko
- Nadia Petrova & Meghann Shaughnessy
- Jelena Kostanic & Marta Domachowska
- Dinara Safina & Anabel Medina Garrigues
- Iveta Benesova & Nuria Llagostera Vives
- Beti Sekulovski & Cindy Watson [If they get in]
- Trudi Musgrave & ?

Dally Randriantefy and Elena Dementieva are not playing doubles!

That was it! Will be going again tomorrow, wearing warmer clothes and hoping for little rainfall.

:drool:

savesthedizzle
06-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the report :) I hope Tommy plays well there. :yeah:

star
06-11-2005, 10:12 PM
:bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

That was a great report!! Thanks very very much. :worship:

azza
06-11-2005, 10:50 PM
did you see Evie Dominikovic? Sam Stosur? Bryanne Stewart? Wayne Arthurs? Mark Philippoussis?

ae wowww
06-12-2005, 12:22 AM
:worship: Martijn-you remember so much :D And you must never stick on one court for long :D!

Kat!
06-12-2005, 04:42 AM
:yeah: thanks for the report!!! Hope you'll get to see GGL soon!!!

:hearts: PHM & Mario practicising together :hearts: :drool:

Lee
06-12-2005, 04:46 AM
Thanks for the report, Martijn.

Both Anna-Lena Grönefeld and Meghann Shaughnessy train in Scottsdale, they should know each other pretty well.

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2005, 06:38 AM
did you see Evie Dominikovic? Sam Stosur? Bryanne Stewart? Wayne Arthurs? Mark Philippoussis?

No Dominikovic, Arthurs or Philippoussis yet. Stosur and Stewart were still in Birmingham and had to retire in their match, so I don't know if they'll be coming (don't know who's injured).

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2005, 06:39 AM
Thanks for the report, Martijn.

Both Anna-Lena Grönefeld and Meghann Shaughnessy train in Scottsdale, they should know each other pretty well.

I was told they share(d) a coach too? Or that ALG's coach is the former coach of Meghann?

Daniel
06-12-2005, 07:58 AM
Any pcitures CooCoo please :kiss: :hug:

thansk for report :worship:

Björki
06-12-2005, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the report. :)

joeb_uk
06-12-2005, 09:05 AM
:worship: Martijn-you remember so much :D And you must never stick on one court for long :D!
You havent seen his a1 size notebook i take it? :cool:

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the report Martijn - enjoy your time at the Ordina.

cobalt60
06-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Thank you for the report! Sounds like you had fun and will continue to do so!

flip_fan
06-12-2005, 01:51 PM
so jealous... have fun + thanks for the report!

Scotso
06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Aravane sounds sweet :D

And Jean-Francois :hearts: I love him.

Kezzi
06-12-2005, 03:40 PM
Nice report! You saw a lot of players!
Did you already spot Benneteau? Would you take a nice picture for me if you see him? :angel:

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2005, 08:29 PM
You havent seen his a1 size notebook i take it? :cool:

I didn't take any notes :silly: It's all from my memory :nerner:

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Any pcitures CooCoo please :kiss: :hug:

thansk for report :worship:

Don't have a digital camera, so you will have to wait a while cause I have to get them developped.

New report coming soon (better than yesterday's)!

CooCooCachoo
06-12-2005, 08:34 PM
Nice report! You saw a lot of players!
Did you already spot Benneteau? Would you take a nice picture for me if you see him? :angel:

Well we talked about this on the phone ;) Yeah, took a picture :p

Kezzi
06-12-2005, 10:27 PM
Well we talked about this on the phone ;) Yeah, took a picture :p
I posted this before I talked to you :p . I can't wait to see that picture :D .