The Elitest Clay Court Snob Club :-) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The Elitest Clay Court Snob Club :-)

NicoFan
06-11-2005, 08:43 PM
Only for elitest clay court snobs like myself. :devil: Our very own thread to gather together and survive the long grass court season.

I'm watching the replay of the Karlovic-Johannson match and trying to keep awake. They call this tennis? :banghead:

I'm repeating myself because I posted this on Andy's board, but these two are getting more exercise walking from the deuce court to the ad court and back again between serves than they are during the points - serve, volley, end of point. Or worse serve, end of point. :yawn:

Time to rewind the tapes from the clay season and watch those.

Only three more weeks to go and it will be over. In the meantime: :zzz:

And for the people about to yell...relax and chill...I jest (in part... ;) )...I love tennis, and that means on any surface. Just prefer clay... :angel:

Raquel
06-11-2005, 08:56 PM
I won't yell ;) but I actually think grass court tennis has improved a lot in the last 3/4 years. I don't know if the balls have slowed down extra recently but there's been some great matches at Queens this week and the 4 semi finalists in Halle are all primarily baseliners. You'll always get people like Karlovic and Popp whacking ace after ace but they do that all year round anyway. I don't think Karlovic type players symbolise grass court tennis the way they did when Goran and Pete were playing 7/8/9 years ago. Even Roddick's matches this week have all been great and full of great rallies.

Tricky_Forehand
06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
I'll join Nico fan :D :wavey:

I completely avoided the Roddick/Stepanek match and could only make it through 5 minutes of Ivo & Tojo. I like them both but not enough to suffer through the match.

Roddick/Stepanek was hell not just for the play but the commentating of McEnroe that I heard briefly as I quickly changed channels :p

NYCtennisfan
06-11-2005, 09:24 PM
Karlovic is an extreme case on grass. Even people like Roddick and Ancic have matches with plenty of rallies now. But I'll leave now and let you clay people have fun. :)

*Ljubica*
06-11-2005, 09:34 PM
Proud to be a founder member of the grass-hating, Clay Court Snob Club ;) Have to go to bed now because it's getting late here, but worried that the thought of Roddick/Karlovic tomorrow might give me nightmares :devil: :devil:

But remember - only 3 weeks and one day until Gstaad and Bastad :)

jazz_girl
06-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Thank you for this thread!!! :worship:

*Viva Chile*
06-11-2005, 09:48 PM
I wanna join to the club too!!!! :devil:
Look at my signature and read the words that the great Marcelo Ríos left to us about the grass... :haha: that's all. ;)

Sparko1030
06-11-2005, 09:51 PM
:hatoff: and lol! Good for you for starting this thread Nicofan! I'm may be too new of a fan to call myself a clay court snob yet but I feel I'm headed in that direction. So far I greatly prefer to watch the clay court. From what I've seen it takes more of an all around player to do well on clay. And for my taste much more engrossing matches. Could a player with only a killer serve do well on clay?

(disclaimer: My preferance for the clay court has nothing to do with the fact the best looking players tend to be clay courters... :) )

NicoFan
06-11-2005, 09:55 PM
Proud to be a founder member of the grass-hating, Clay Court Snob Club ;) Have to go to bed now because it's getting late here, but worried that the thought of Roddick/Karlovic tomorrow might give me nightmares :devil: :devil:

I forgot to give you credit Rosie!!! My humblest apologies...lol!!!!!!!! This does come from you... :worship:

And Sparko lol! Yeah, the clay court players are the best looking by far. So not only is grass kind of boring tennis wise, but no scenery either... ;)

NicoFan
06-11-2005, 09:57 PM
Look at my signature and read the words that the great Marcelo Ríos left to us about the grass... :haha: that's all. ;)

MOOOOOOO!!!!! :rolls:

sigmagirl91
06-12-2005, 01:59 AM
OK, sign me up!!! I need a break from "slash and burn" tennis for awhile.

RogersGirl
06-12-2005, 02:08 AM
oh you poor dears.

grass is sweeter than clay. but to each his own lol.

NATAS81
06-12-2005, 02:11 AM
When Roddick arrives at the USO, and has all the crowd support and advances to Semis+, you will come to realize hardcourt tennis is what it's all about.

Tricky_Forehand
06-12-2005, 02:37 AM

Not that any of us are counting ;)

I feel sort of conflicted because Alex did get to the Newports QFs last year and I do want him to win (no matter the surface)BUT...Grass court plays drives me nuts!!!!! :banghead: :banghead:

Tricky_Forehand
06-12-2005, 02:39 AM
oh you poor dears.

grass is sweeter than clay. but to each his own lol.

Gee, with your avatar and sig I would have never guessed that you liked grass more :lol: :lol:

Tricky_Forehand
06-12-2005, 02:40 AM

Another reason to miss Marcelo :sad: :sad:

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 02:53 AM
Clay! :banana: Clay! :banana: Clay! :banana:

It is missed. These 4 weeks will not go by fast enough for me. Bring on the post Wimbledon clay-court swing :banana:

That said, grass court tennis isn't always awful to watch (in fact, the "hideous" grasscourter stereotype is true only on a few occasions)... and even when it is, I appreciate that the "boring" guys are still quite talented. They just don't have talent that I want to watch for too many games in a row ;)

lau
06-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Actually, the "Grass is for cows" phrase was said for the first time by Vilas in the 70` ;)
And I don´t know if I would join The Elitest Clay Court Snob Club... :scratch: , maybe yes..... :) What I`m sure about is that grass court tennis is the one I like the least (but you can always find some nice matches in any surface)....... And, yes, I can`t wait till the clay or hard court tournaments to come back!!! :bounce: :lol:

+alonso
06-12-2005, 03:22 AM
i wanna get in :lol:

Excelent thread :p nico

TennisLurker
06-12-2005, 03:48 AM
I think Santana, a spanish player who btw won wimbledon, is the guy who said grass is for cows for the first time

Consigliere
06-12-2005, 05:04 AM
It's because traditional Grass Court tennis has gone. Pat and Pete are gone so there's not many serve and volleyers left I guess. But traditionally Grass Court tennis is not 'bang and crash' big serving, it's just highly skilled 'risk' tennis. Not many traditional serve and volleyers left for this years I guess. Henman, Philippoussis, Dent??

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-12-2005, 05:07 AM
my husband will sleep on the couch for three weeks for deciding not to play Wimbly. Damn snobs!

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 05:22 AM
It's because traditional Grass Court tennis has gone. Pat and Pete are gone so there's not many serve and volleyers left I guess. But traditionally Grass Court tennis is not 'bang and crash' big serving, it's just highly skilled 'risk' tennis. Not many traditional serve and volleyers left for this years I guess. Henman, Philippoussis, Dent??
I would have watched Rafter on grass anyday. :yeah:

mandoura
06-12-2005, 05:23 AM
I am in too. Great thread.

Fi-Fi
06-12-2005, 06:21 AM
yay! i like this thread....i luv both clay and hard, just cant stand the grass!!!

Alvarillo
06-12-2005, 07:30 AM
i'm doing my final exams the grass weeks so i'm happy i won't miss 2nd clay season!
CLAY 4everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!! :worship:

Ferrero Forever
06-12-2005, 08:04 AM
Yeah count me in too. I'll watch the grass when it's on because we are so starved of tennis here, but i prefer clay anyday. VAMOS CLAY COURT (it's not as boring as watching grass grow)

Tricky_Forehand
06-12-2005, 08:45 AM
I would have watched Rafter on grass anyday. :yeah:

That's about the only time I missed Grass Court Tennis

Tricky_Forehand
06-12-2005, 08:47 AM
Yeah count me in too. I'll watch the grass when it's on because we are so starved of tennis here, but i prefer clay anyday. VAMOS CLAY COURT (it's not as boring as watching grass grow)

Agreed :yeah:

I love the game so I watch but I'm not glued to my TV or computer like I am with all clay tournies and some hard court :D

Frank Winkler
06-12-2005, 08:52 AM
Men's claycourt tennis is still a great game.

However Man's tennis has declined as a game. It has been simplified.
An intricate game such as chess is preferable to checkers.
The culprid of course is that a single stroke is dominating men's tennis.
The all powerful serve.
Thank you but not yet on clay.
I dont think it is easy to fix.
Perhaps an entirely new game needs to be invented.
Tennis used to be the king of all raquet sports, and this is from a squash player.

oh well everything changes sometimes not for the better.

Choupi
06-12-2005, 08:58 AM
Sign me up, I wanna join the Club too! :D And the more we are to stand beside each other, the more chance we have to resist during those 3 weeks!

Don't misunderstand me, I love grass, but only when I can lie on it! ;)

deliveryman
06-12-2005, 09:29 AM
One could argue, waiting for the first person to hit the ball in the back of the net isn't real tennis either.

But the fact of the matter remains: Both are a part of the game. Whether you're serve-volleying or hitting ten thousand unforced errors a match.

lau
06-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I think Santana, a spanish player who btw won wimbledon, is the guy who said grass is for cows for the first time
Really??? I didn´t know that... :)

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Really??? I didn´t know that... :)

I didn't know that either, but I had a quick search on the Net, and found a BBC website which says exactly that. Here is the link:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wimbledon2000/fans_guide/779996.stm

For those who can't access the link from here, it says:-

"Grass is for cows" was coined in the 1960s by Manuel Santana and it has been echoed down the years by the likes of Ivan Lendl and Marcelo Rios among many others bamboozled by the lush lawns of SW19.

I also found a couple of other fun quotes in my research..............

MARCELO RIOS
"I don't take Wimbledon, like playing on grass, like really an important thing," Rios said after a first round defeat in 1998. Tennis, you see it on grass, it's not tennis. You just serve, return and go in, and that's it. Grass is not a surface to watch tennis or to play tennis. It's really boring."

GUGA
Everybody in Britain keeps going on about how wonderful Wimbledon is, but I simply don't have any desire to play there, and it means nothing to me," said Kuerten.

lau
06-12-2005, 11:21 AM
I didn't know that either, but I had a quick search on the Net, and found a BBC website which says exactly that. Here is the link:-

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wimbledon2000/fans_guide/779996.stm

Thanks Rosie for the info. :worship:

propi
06-12-2005, 11:22 AM
Actually Manolo Santana won Wimbledon yep, but also US Open when it was played on grass ;) pretty good results, although I'm sure he would be still called claycourter or dirtballer nowadays :o
For me It's all about clay

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 11:45 AM
LOL- Rosie and Nicofan great thread!!!

Well on the MSN board I wondered if there would be room for me here and I guess it is a large enough club so I have just "flown" in.

Not need to repeat why clay is so good- you all have posted the important stuff.

Welcome to the best club on MTF :hug: All clay lovers/grass haters welcome :devil:

NicoFan
06-12-2005, 12:03 PM
"Grass is for cows" was coined in the 1960s by Manuel Santana and it has been echoed down the years by the likes of Ivan Lendl and Marcelo Rios among many others bamboozled by the lush lawns of SW19.

MARCELO RIOS
"I don't take Wimbledon, like playing on grass, like really an important thing," Rios said after a first round defeat in 1998. Tennis, you see it on grass, it's not tennis. You just serve, return and go in, and that's it. Grass is not a surface to watch tennis or to play tennis. It's really boring."

GUGA
Everybody in Britain keeps going on about how wonderful Wimbledon is, but I simply don't have any desire to play there, and it means nothing to me," said Kuerten.

I'm so happy to see our little "club" has taken off... :devil:

Great info Rosie - I love Guga's statement - "it means nothing to me" - gotta love it!!!

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 12:24 PM
I'm so happy to see our little "club" has taken off... :devil:

Great info Rosie - I love Guga's statement - "it means nothing to me" - gotta love it!!!

I'm sure I can find some more.............it will give me something constructive to do while Roddick/Karlovic are hurling missiles at each other on my TV :devil:

sigmagirl91
06-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Good morning, fellow snobs.

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Well, you've all said you like clay better than grass. Does the club do anything else, or is that it?

NicoFan
06-12-2005, 02:03 PM
Well, you've all said you like clay better than grass. Does the club do anything else, or is that it?

Hmmm...good point.

Well we can keep each other company instead of sleeping through the grass season.

And tell each other things like rather than watching a boring Andy-Karlovic match (turned it off after 2-2 - even Mac was saying can we fast forward to the tiebreak) I put on a tape of my Nico and Fena on a Miami show after the Olympics. Both are so cute... :hug:

Or maybe we can figure out how to get Wimbledon to change their courts over to clay.

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Mac was right, there was a tie-break, but it was not as exciting as posting on MTF.

Fedex
06-12-2005, 02:06 PM

:lol: I knew I could count on finding you in this thread Rosie. :)

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:08 PM
Hmmm...good point.

Well we can keep each other company instead of sleeping through the grass season.

And tell each other things like rather than watching a boring Andy-Karlovic match (turned it off after 2-2 - even Mac was saying can we fast forward to the tiebreak) I put on a tape of my Nico and Fena on a Miami show after the Olympics. Both are so cute... :hug:

Or maybe we can figure out how to get Wimbledon to change their courts over to clay.

Mainly it's a place of refuge from the grass court trolls I think! As for Roddick/Karlovic :zzz: I would love Ivo to win because he's such a sweetie, but I don't actually want to SEE him win if you see what I mean - just watch a clay court match on TV and hear the result afterwards. Sadly I can't do that though because I am taping it for a Croatian friend of mine - so back to :zzz: for me.

Fedex
Sign me up, I wanna join the Club too! :D And the more we are to stand beside each other, the more chance we have to resist during those 3 weeks!

Don't misunderstand me, I love grass, but only when I can lie on it! ;)
Grass court tennis can be great, when played properly. The problem is, few players play that way on grass anymore.

buddyholly
Hmmmm........... on second thoughts, maybe I could be a part-time member in the intervals between tie-breaks.

onewoman74
06-12-2005, 02:09 PM
I'm watching the match on TTC, but I like grass court tennis. I get to watch Ivo...I don't think I've ever seen him play...he's a tall guy!!

Fedex
06-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Mainly it's a place of refuge from the grass court trolls I think! As for Roddick/Karlovic :zzz: I would love Ivo to win because he's such a sweetie, bit I don't want to SEE him win if you see what I mean - just watch a clay court match on TV and hear the result afterwards. Sadly I can't do that though because I am taping it for a Croatian friend of mine - so back to :zzz: for me.
The Halle final was great, so there is some good grass court tennis, though it is rare.

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:11 PM
I'm watching the match on TTC, but I like grass court tennis. I get to watch Ivo...I don't think I've ever seen him play...he's a tall guy!!

6ft 10" - but a real "gentle giant" - I like him as a person - just don't like his style of play.

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:11 PM
I would love Ivo to win because he's such a sweetie, bit I don't want to SEE him win if you see what I mean - just watch a clay court match on TV and hear the result afterwards.

I think you can tape and turn the TV off at the same time.
If you hate grasss so much, why don't you move house and give someone else a chance?
I'll post the A-rod/Karlo result so you will know when to stop the tape.

onewoman74
06-12-2005, 02:12 PM
He's 6'10? Why is he playing tennis? I'm surprised he's not in the NBA!!!

sigmagirl91
06-12-2005, 02:14 PM
He's 6'10? Why is he playing tennis? I'm surprised he's not in the NBA!!!

My thoughts exactly. He could give Shaq a run for his money!!

Fedex
06-12-2005, 02:15 PM
My thoughts exactly. He could give Shaq a run for his money!!
He'd need to bulk up though; Shaq is 7-1 and 330 lbs. :lol: :haha:

sigmagirl91
06-12-2005, 02:16 PM
He'd need to bulk up though; Shaq is 7-1 and 330 lbs. :lol: :haha:

This is true. He can put on the pounds though. To my mind, I would believe that tennis would be harder for a player of his height because his center of gravity is so high.

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:18 PM
I think you can tape and turn the TV off at the same time.
If you hate grasss so much, why don't you move house and give someone else a chance?
I'll post the A-rod/Karlo result so you will know when to stop the tape.

With Satellite digital TV here you can't tape one channel and watch another. nor can you watch another video which is what I was wanting to do. Besides - I want to keep an eye on the tape for my friend as my TV has a tendancy to "hop" channels for no reason and if I don't keep an eye on it she could end up with an hour or Karlovic and an hour of "EastEnders".

And anyway - this Club is primaily for those of us who do hate grass - that was the whole point of it - a fun place were we could whinge together with no -one to moan at us - so perhaps you are in the wrong thread :angel:

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:20 PM
OK, but can I hang around until the next tiebreaker?

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:23 PM
OK, but can I hang around until the next tiebreaker?

Course you can! :hug: We just don't want this thread to become the usual MTF battleground between grass/clay, Roddick fans/non-Roddick fans, Americans/Europeans, or whatever the fights are usually about. It's a peaceful place for peaceful like-minded people to get together :angel:

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:24 PM
I hate peaceful!

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Andy just tried a between-the-legs shot and hit the wrong ball!

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:26 PM
I hate peaceful!

:devil:

Scotso
06-12-2005, 02:26 PM
Well my favorite player (notice name) seems to like grass more than the other surfaces, but I'm still a clay baby. ;)

Viva clay.

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Gotta go, it's a BREAKER, surprise, surprise

mandoura
06-12-2005, 02:32 PM
The Halle final was great, so there is some good grass court tennis, though it is rare.

I second that. ;)

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:33 PM
You can stop the tape Rosie.
Gotta run, I have a tennis game now, on hard court. These days, that is like playing on a neutral surface.

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:39 PM
What a wonderful match :rolleyes: So glad you enjoyed your thrilling tie-breaks buddyholly, and I hope your tennis match has a bit more style and variation!!!

BRING BACK THE CLAY - SOON -PLEASE :devil:

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:41 PM
What a wonderful match :rolleyes: So glad you enjoyed your thrilling tie-breaks buddyholly, and I hope your tennis match has a bit more style and variation!!!

I have to admit that I posted here between tie-breaks. maybe I should join the club after all. I'll decide after Wimbledon, though :hug:

mandoura
06-12-2005, 02:43 PM

There were actually break of serves in Halle :eek: . Maybe things will change. ;)

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Andy just said he keeps winning on grass because he has a crush on Sue(?) and gets to talk to her. That was the best shot of the match.

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:45 PM
There were actually break of serves in Halle :eek: . Maybe things will change. ;)

Breaks of serve just mean the players are not that good on grass.

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Andy just said he keeps winning on grass because he has a crush on Sue(?) and gets to talk to her. That was the best shot of the match.

Yes - I did see that because I had to keep the tape on til Karlovic walked off court. Sue' still a good looking woman for her age too :)

*Viva Chile*
06-12-2005, 02:49 PM
check the result of Queens :o
two tiebreaks and a lot of aces...

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Yes - I did see that because I had to keep the tape on til Karlovic walked off court. Sue' still a good looking woman for her age too :)

Who's older, Sue or Cliff? My copy of Livin' Doll is about 50 years old, so it's probably Cliff.

revolution
06-12-2005, 02:58 PM
Well the Wimbledon fans like me enjoy the clay tennis, so you should shut up and stop whingeing the lot of you. Tennis on all surfaces is entertaining, has variation, and that's what makes it special.

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 03:01 PM
Who's older, Sue or Cliff? My copy of Livin' Doll is about 50 years old, so it's probably Cliff.

Well Cliff's in his 60's now I think and Sue is in her late 40's - not sure of her exact age. Still looks good though. Never saw you as a man with a copy of "Livin' Doll" though :devil: Are you looking forward to another Cliff singalong at Wimbledon?

avocadoe
06-12-2005, 03:29 PM
Clay is my favorite surface...grew up on it :) love those matches...but since my favorite player is Roger, I like grass vvv much now, too, and enjoy watching him on hardcourt as well.

Whoever created "Rafalution" had a stroke of genius :) guess its not here, but in a Rafa thread?

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 03:32 PM
Clay is my favorite surface...grew up on it :) love those matches...but since my favorite player is Roger, I like grass vvv much now, too, and enjoy watching him on hardcourt as well.

Whoever created "Rafalution" had a stroke of genius :) guess its not here, but in a Rafa thread?

I've never heard of "Rafalution" but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. Being English, I was actually bought up on grass- but clay is still my favourite.

Choupi
06-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Grass court tennis can be great, when played properly. The problem is, few players play that way on grass anymore.
I agree, and to tell you the truth, there are some players, very very few I should say, who are able to make me feel like watching them play when it is grass season. But, unfortunately, either I'm not home to see the matches, or I have no coverage! :rolleyes: So it doesn't help me like grass as you see! ;)

mandoura
06-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Breaks of serve just mean the players are not that good on grass.

:lol: I just try to find something to make the coming 3 weeks easier. ;)

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 05:23 PM
:lol: I just try to find something to make the coming 3 weeks easier. ;)

How about counting the days til the first day of Gstaad and Bastad! I find that helps! It's 22 if you're interested!

Actually I don't have trouble keeping ocupied this next few weeks.......after nearly 2 months on the European clay tour, I have so much to catch up on from spending time with relatives to catching up with stuff in the office - so it flies by. Plus I have Stoke Park next week - and yes I know it's grass :eek: but would you turn down the chance to see your favourite players at your local tennis club!!! You don't have to watch the tennis - just sit in the Bar and listen to the Jazz Band that Andy Roddick loved so much last year!

NicoFan
06-12-2005, 05:33 PM
I've never heard of "Rafalution" but I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction.

It was some journalist I think in the UK that coined the phrase for the Rafa revolution sweeping tennis.

To find Rafa information, you can stay here...I love Rafa so don't mind chatting about him any day or night (and I'm sure many others here), or you can go to the players forums and look up the Rafael Nadal forum.

NicoFan
06-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Did you all see someone has robbed our idea and created an Elitest All-Surface Snob Club. Well elitest by definition means to be superior to something else...lol! So by definition it can't be all inclusive.

Oh well...whatever...

NATAS81
06-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Did you all see someone has robbed our idea and created an Elitest All-Surface Snob Club. Well elitest by definition means to be superior to something else...lol! So by definition it can't be all inclusive.

Oh well...whatever...
Sometimes it takes a great idea to create a better idea.

Good thread here.

All solid morals.

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Sometimes it takes a great idea to create a better idea.

Good thread here.

All solid morals.

Yes - what is it they say - "Immitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :) Something like that anyway! Sjengster the thread starter is one of the good guys though - just having some fun - hi Sjengster :wavey: :hug:

RogersGirl
06-12-2005, 07:38 PM
Gee, with your avatar and sig I would have never guessed that you liked grass more :lol: :lol:

:yeah:

mandoura
06-12-2005, 08:01 PM
How about counting the days til the first day of Gstaad and Bastad! I find that helps! It's 22 if you're interested!

Actually I don't have trouble keeping ocupied this next few weeks.......after nearly 2 months on the European clay tour, I have so much to catch up on from spending time with relatives to catching up with stuff in the office - so it flies by. Plus I have Stoke Park next week - and yes I know it's grass :eek: but would you turn down the chance to see your favourite players at your local tennis club!!! You don't have to watch the tennis - just sit in the Bar and listen to the Jazz Band that Andy Roddick loved so much last year!

:secret: It's not that I completely hate grass. I still like to watch my favorites matches but just my favorites. But clay, I can watch for hours, almost anyone. I like the other surfaces too. Oh God! I am addicted to tennis. ;)

Missed you Rosie. Have fun wherever you are and whatever you are doing. :hug:

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 08:15 PM
:secret: It's not that I completely hate grass. I still like to watch my favorites matches but just my favorites. But clay, I can watch for hours, almost anyone. I like the other surfaces too. Oh God! I am addicted to tennis. ;)

Well, on clay you HAVE to watch for hours, even if you only want to see one set :devil:
But Wimbledon will be worth watching this year. Alfonsojose is going to streak at a Rainer match. Let's hope Rainer draws Federer or Henman so that he does it on Centre Court. :o
And in the end, clay and grass are just amusing diversions from real tennis, which is played on a hard surface.

buddyholly
06-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Never saw you as a man with a copy of "Livin' Doll" though :devil: Are you looking forward to another Cliff singalong at Wimbledon?

Yes I hope there is a ''Peoples' Sunday'' and it rains then too.

I like my rock'n'roll as it should be, simple, with a minimum of different notes. ''Livin' Doll'' was great but Paul Anka's ''Diana'' was the greatest, only one note and you can't improve on that.

NicoFan
06-12-2005, 08:41 PM
Well, on clay you HAVE to watch for hours, even if you only want to see one set :devil:
But Wimbledon will be worth watching this year. Alfonsojose is going to streak at a Rainer match. Let's hope Rainer draws Federer or Henman so that he does it on Centre Court. :o
And in the end, clay and grass are just amusing diversions from real tennis, which is played on a hard surface.

You're cracking me up here buddyholly... :cool: Clay matches do take awhile, I will give you that...especially when someone like my Nico plays and takes about 45 seconds between each serve... ;) But since he's my favorite, he can do that and I love it cuz I get to see him longer on court... :angel:

And hardcourt is much better than grass. I can live with hardcourts.

Jenrios
06-12-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm signing up as well. Only Roger makes grass bearable!

NicoFan
06-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Don't laugh but I have an idea on how to fix the tennis schedule. Really don't laugh...lol! ;)

I'd like to see the season in two halves.

One for clay, the other for hardcourts. Cut out grass altogether. Give the players a longer time off at the beginning of the year. Start on clay in February in SA, move it to Europe, and then play the French a week early. Then go to the UK and Wimbledon would be on clay.

Then start hardcourt season. Summer US season, US Open, go to Europe for indoor hard, and isn't it warm in Australia in November? Start of summer there. Play the Oz Open the first two weeks of November. Then the guys get 2 1/2 months off.

That would also rid of us that horrid carpet stuff too.

Good, huh???? :p

Jenrios
06-12-2005, 08:51 PM
most of my favs take the grass court season as their off season anyway LOL! Think Rios only played Wimby 3 times. Poor Lendl tried and tried - but I knew he'd never win it.

+alonso
06-12-2005, 09:02 PM
I love the thread names of nicofan :lol: are always sooo funny

*Ljubica*
06-12-2005, 09:23 PM
Don't laugh but I have an idea on how to fix the tennis schedule. Really don't laugh...lol! ;)

One for clay, the other for hardcourts. Cut out grass altogether. Give the players a longer time off at the beginning of the year. Start on clay in February in SA, move it to Europe, and then play the French a week early. Then go to the UK and Wimbledon would be on clay.

Then start hardcourt season. Summer US season, US Open, go to Europe for indoor hard, and isn't it warm in Australia in November? Start of summer there. Play the Oz Open the first two weeks of November. Then the guys get 2 1/2 months off.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 09:38 PM
That's about the only time I missed Grass Court Tennis

Me too. Thinking of Rafter's classic matches with Andre reminds me that grass court tennis is not only always awful, but is occasionally super. A pity he's not still around ;)

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 09:41 PM

I'm starting to come around to this point of view, especially after being reminded of Rafter. The problem isn't the grass, it's the players! I like it :cool:

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 09:44 PM

The press came up with "Rafalution". I don't know which press, exactly ;)

Dr. Laborious
06-12-2005, 09:49 PM
<------- Clay Court Snob :banana:

aj_m2009
06-12-2005, 09:51 PM

Now why couldn't they actually do this haha???

BTW I wanna join.:)

Tricky_Forehand
06-13-2005, 12:00 AM

MARCELO RIOS

GUGA

Love those quotes!!! Especially from Marcelo. He summed it up very well :yeah: :D

NicoFan
06-13-2005, 12:03 AM
I love the thread names of nicofan :lol: are always sooo funny

Gracias Alonso! :)

Tricky_Forehand
06-13-2005, 12:07 AM
You don't have to watch the tennis - just sit in the Bar and listen to the Jazz Band that Andy Roddick loved so much last year!

:lol: I remember that report. I hope that it happens again :devil:

*Ljubica*
06-13-2005, 05:25 AM
:lol: I remember that report. I hope that it happens again :devil:

Wel I don't, because my friend plays in that band and I quite want to hear him play :devil: - but I'm sure there will be more "incidents" to tell you about!!!

Tricky_Forehand
06-13-2005, 06:22 AM
I was only referring to Roddick getting irritated :devil: . I know I'm saying this in a GM thread so I'm probably going to offend someone but :shrug: :p . This has to be the most annoying time of years for so many reasons.

What was the day count to Gstaad & Bastad again? ;) I'm just glad that the clay court Challengers are still going.

Dirk
06-13-2005, 06:43 AM
Rios actually made it to the 4th rd in 99 and lost to Becker. He had the skills to succeed on grass just not the attitude. Guga made the qrts once and he is very good indoors and again he has skills to succeed on grass but just not the attitude nor the desire to actually use them more. These player don't seem to understand that enhancing grass court skills helps you with success on hardcourts and indoors and even on clay. It's a shame such narrow-mindedness exists with some players especially the ones I really like. :sad:

propi
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
I have a question... I love Grosjean playing on grass, I've been expecting he to do well on Wimby and grab the title some year... Do I really have a problem?? :o

World Beater
06-13-2005, 04:07 PM
The only problem with extending the clay season, is that players cant take that much punishment. The matches can be grueling, tiring and may lead to injuries. Grass is much easier on the body, although it may not be as great for the fans.

Extending the hardcourt season would be terrible. You would see seldom see all the big names turn up for any given event.

World Beater
06-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I have a question... I love Grosjean playing on grass, I've been expecting he to do well on Wimby and grab the title some year... Do I really have a problem?? :o

Grosjean has to believe that he can win. Thats the only thing potentially stopping him.

*Ljubica*
06-13-2005, 04:12 PM
I was only referring to Roddick getting irritated :devil: . I know I'm saying this in a GM thread so I'm probably going to offend someone but :shrug: :p . This has to be the most annoying time of years for so many reasons.

What was the day count to Gstaad & Bastad again? ;) I'm just glad that the clay court Challengers are still going.

One less than yesterday ;) - so 21 days til the main draws of Gstaad and Bastad start. Sadly, living a few miles from Wimbledon, I have very little chance of any media coverage of the clay challengers :sad: It's saturation grass court stuff for the next few weeks :devil:

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 06:12 AM
The only problem with extending the clay season, is that players cant take that much punishment. The matches can be grueling, tiring and may lead to injuries. Grass is much easier on the body, although it may not be as great for the fans.

It's the type of the tennis and not the surface of clay that is punishing on the body both clay and grass are good in that regard.

amazingpotato
06-14-2005, 06:50 AM
but these two are getting more exercise walking from the deuce court to the ad court and back again between serves than they are during the points - serve, volley, end of point. Or worse serve, end of point. :yawn:

:lol: well said. i felt the same way when i watch another of karlovic match, the one against thomas johansson. whenever karlovic is serving that's exactly what happens :) i didn't even bother to watch the roddick-karlovic match...double yawn...

NicoFan
06-14-2005, 12:53 PM
:lol: well said. i felt the same way when i watch another of karlovic match, the one against thomas johansson. whenever karlovic is serving that's exactly what happens :) i didn't even bother to watch the roddick-karlovic match...double yawn...

I good rep'd you for this - such a lovely post deserves it ;) and besides, it is sad seeing only one little green square by someone's name.

Choupi
06-14-2005, 01:12 PM
Make the grass season leave soon! My jaws are aching because of too much yawning! :D

Tricky_Forehand
06-17-2005, 12:05 AM
:lol: Same here.

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Even though I don't like the grass, I hope all my chicos do well. Its so sad when they are all out (after the 2nd or 3rd rounds...lol!) and I have to watch those "other" players like Roger, Andy, and Lleyton... :eek:

How many more days until Gstaad???????????????????????????? :banghead:

Pea
06-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Ooh! Ooh! Me! Me! Pick me! I wanna join!

+alonso
06-17-2005, 03:50 AM
Even though I don't like the grass, I hope all my chicos do well. Its so sad when they are all out (after the 2nd or 3rd rounds...lol!) and I have to watch those "other" players like Roger, Andy, and Lleyton... :eek:

How many more days until Gstaad???????????????????????????? :banghead:

:sad: you're right
well this year could be different .... feña can surprise us :D he is playing good on grass especially in boodles ;)
i dont know about nico :sad: Sargsian beat him in a very weird match so nico can be nervous or something like that .. hope he feel good and relaxed for the match ....
Hey nicofan :D relax ;).. our :lol: chicos can get good result here :D

NicoFan
06-17-2005, 12:02 PM
:sad: you're right
well this year could be different .... feña can surprise us :D he is playing good on grass especially in boodles ;)
i dont know about nico :sad: Sargsian beat him in a very weird match so nico can be nervous or something like that .. hope he feel good and relaxed for the match ....
Hey nicofan :D relax ;).. our :lol: chicos can get good result here :D

I was at Wimbledon last year, and Fena didn't seem bothered by the yucky grass.

Nico on the other hand did have lots of problems, but I have a DVD of his match against Andre on the grass (long time ago) when he almost beat Andre. And one year he went to the 3rd round. So it is doable. But that match against Sargsian last year was a nightmare - weird is an understatement. lol! I was there at the US Open for that nightmare 5 hour marathan, and Nico really lost it emotionally (and the match too unfortuantely). So I almost cried when I saw Sargsian's name in the draw in the first round.

But Sargsian's had a bad year so I hope Nico can win this time. Who knows? With Nico you can never tell...matches he should win easily, he loses easily... :sad:

+alonso
06-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Sad and Bitter True :sad: ;)

Vamos Nico :rocker2:

NicoFan
06-21-2005, 12:51 AM
Fellow Clay Court Snobs:

Even though its yucky grass and a number of our guys lost today (most notably Puerta), some of our men did well today!

Victories by Juan Carlos, Fernando Gonzalez (who is turning into quite the grass court player with a victory at the Boodles exhibition), Fernando Verdasco, and the best of all, NICO MASSU (sorry but he's my favorito so he gets special attention...lol!!!!!).

Buena suerte manana to RAFA!!! And Guille, David Ferrer, Juan Monaco, and Luis Horna!!!!

Tricky_Forehand
06-22-2005, 02:41 AM
RAFA!!!! And Guille got through :D :D

David Ferrer :sad:

+alonso
06-22-2005, 03:30 AM
and the best of all, NICO MASSU (sorry but he's my favorito so he gets special attention...lol!!!!!).
HAHAHAHA!!!
Me too :D
well congrats to feña juancarlos horna:sad: and all the clay courtplayers :lol: ..on grass!! and also Nalbandian :D so happy for him

NicoFan
06-23-2005, 04:36 PM
An update on our clay court players.

Only three remain:

Fena
Coria (at least at this moment)
Juan Carlos

Only ten more days until Gstaad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MOOOOOO....grass is irrelevant...

Sparko1030
06-23-2005, 05:19 PM
:tears: Poor Rafa lost. Didn't think he would get to the finals or anything but I did think he'd get past the 2nd round...

NicoFan
06-23-2005, 05:33 PM
It is sad about Rafa. Poor chico...

Coria did finally win.

So our three remaining clay court players are Fena, Guille and JC! Fena's match against Pim Pim tomorrow though will be very tough.

Buena suerte and vamos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scotso
06-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Stab it. Stab the grass until it dies.

Tricky_Forehand
06-26-2005, 02:51 AM
Guille :) *somewhat bittersweet because I like Jurgen as well*

Gonzo!! :bounce: :bounce:

Juanqui!! :woohoo:

Ferrero Forever
06-26-2005, 08:57 AM
At least we have them in the second week. I don't know much about Gonzo, so I don't want to make an opinion on him until I see him play, but having my 2 favourites in the second week is great. VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS to all of you, lets make it a Ferrero/Coria final of which Ferrero will win:) (and I'm actually enjoying wimbledon this year, Ferrero isn't killing me by 5 setters against Koubek, but bring on the clay)

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 11:18 AM
At least we have them in the second week. I don't know much about Gonzo, so I don't want to make an opinion on him until I see him play, but having my 2 favourites in the second week is great. VAMOS VAMOS VAMOS to all of you, lets make it a Ferrero/Coria final of which Ferrero will win:) (and I'm actually enjoying wimbledon this year, Ferrero isn't killing me by 5 setters against Koubek, but bring on the clay)

I'm enjoying Wimbledon more than usual too - thanks mainly to David making it into the second week :) Also Feña and JCF :)

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 11:42 AM
Ok another reason not to like grass court tennis :D A photographers point of view:

During grasscourt season, the ball is hit alot lower (which is often very annoying when you are trying to frame the upper body, ball and racket!! It also limits the variety of the shots, because there is no balls hit above chest height :D).

NicoFan
06-26-2005, 01:45 PM
It is better - and along with David, JC, and FENA, there's FELI too (even though he's not a clay court player, he's cute and speaks spanish, and I only root for the spanish-speaking players)!!!

But I hate this Middle Sunday sh*t. I work all week - this is the one time I can see it without having to tape - whch I inevitably tape at the wrong time or wrong station because there's two stations here that go back and forth all day.

Sorry for whining and complaining but Middle Sunday just doesn't seem fair to the workers of the world.

+alonso
06-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Wow a lot of south american and spaniard men are in the 2 week

Good luck to feña david JCF Feli :D

Iza
06-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I wanna be a member here too :bounce:
me loves clay :inlove: :inlove:
i wouldn't mind if all tournies were played on clay :p well, maybe keep a few grass and hardcourts for Felo ;)

*Ljubica*
06-26-2005, 05:33 PM
It is better - and along with David, JC, and FENA, there's FELI too (even though he's not a clay court player, he's cute and speaks spanish, and I only root for the spanish-speaking players)!!!

But I hate this Middle Sunday sh*t. I work all week - this is the one time I can see it without having to tape - whch I inevitably tape at the wrong time or wrong station because there's two stations here that go back and forth all day.

Sorry for whining and complaining but Middle Sunday just doesn't seem fair to the workers of the world.

Middle Sunday is wonderful :) You wouldn't believe how much sleep I needed to catch up on - and how much washing etc I had to do today!!! Keep Middle Sunday I say - it rocks ;)

Iza
06-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Agree with NicoFan :yeah: I got sooo bored 2day :yawn: :(
But I guess Rosie is right too so :shrug:

Sparko1030
06-26-2005, 05:51 PM
I don't like Middle Sunday because I don't want Fena to loose his momentum. He's is so on right now and I don't like to see it jepordized by an extra day off. I sure I 'm just being a nervous nelly here but I just want him to keep it up!

VAMOS!!! to Feli, and David and especiallly Fena this comming week!!! :bigwave:

Iza
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Exactly. A big VAMOS!!!!!!!!!! to Feli and Juanqui cos they both need it :woohoo: :yeah: !
And also good luck to Gonzo he should beat Mischa's azz for daring to beat my Marcos :armed: :sobbing:

Choupi
06-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Only 1 week left to wait before the right surface is back, before the right colour is back! :) That green turning out yellow is making me sick! :(

Tricky_Forehand
06-26-2005, 08:10 PM
I have to agree that this Wimby isn't too bad. David is still in, Gonzo is still in, and Juanqui is still in.

I am also happy about Seb & Dmitry (going to hate that match) but they don't count for our club ;)

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 08:12 PM
This has been a good Wimbledon and there are players that I like in the 2nd week and the possibility of Gonzo making the quarters hehehe.

Only a week to go before Båstad and Gstaad are on.

Jogy
06-26-2005, 08:16 PM
Good that Federer dominant season is going to end soon. But only for a few week until Federer is again winning at hardcourt Masters :fiery:

Choupi
06-26-2005, 08:19 PM
This has been a good Wimbledon and there are players that I like in the 2nd week and the possibility of Gonzo making the quarters hehehe.
Maybe I could share your joy if I had a chance to see the matches on tv, but I don't. So I prefer focusing on the clay at the horizon! :)

*Viva Chile*
07-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Finally the green nightmare is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

CLAY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Cow is dead... God save the cow!!!

sol
07-03-2005, 10:06 PM
Finally the green nightmare is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

CLAY IS BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Cow is dead... God save the cow!!!

:lol:

Sparko1030
07-06-2005, 05:13 AM
Clay courts are back and Nico won today in Gstaad!!! :banana:

*Ljubica*
07-06-2005, 05:20 AM
I was going to bump this thread and someone beat me to it ;) So glad to have Gstaad, Bastad, Kitzbuehel etc again. Be even happier if David was playing them - but as someone just said "the green nightmare is over.......!" and that's good enough for me at the moment!

tangerine_dream
05-07-2009, 05:56 PM
"Clay belongs on Mars." — Janko Tipsarevic :p

Lee
05-07-2009, 06:24 PM
Tangy has a very boring day at work. :p

tangerine_dream
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Tangy has a very boring day at work. :p
You noticed. :rolls: