Nadal For Wimbledon.."Ican't challenge for title" [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal For Wimbledon.."Ican't challenge for title"

nermo
06-11-2005, 08:42 PM
By STEVE WILSTEIN, AP Sports Writer
June 6, 2005

AP - Jun 6, 8:05 am EDT
More Photos

PARIS (AP) -- Rafael Nadal will not soon go from kissing the French Open trophy to hoisting the one at Wimbledon.

A young man with imagination but no illusions, the Spaniard does not pretend he blithely can transport his successes on clay to championships on grass.

But give him time.

``I can't challenge for the title,'' Nadal said candidly when the question was put to him shortly after he won the French on Sunday with a tour de force performance that extended his winning streak to 24 matches

wise guy..no? ;)

robinhood
06-11-2005, 09:05 PM
A clever way to lift a major pressure off his shoulder.
I can't believe the media is comparing Nadal to Borg.
That's not right, at least not yet.

Chloe le Bopper
06-11-2005, 09:10 PM
That's sort of what he said about RG too. Mind you, this time I think he's actually correct ;)

nermo
06-11-2005, 09:13 PM
That's true..roby.. :yeah: the kid still has a way to go..and press puts lots of stress on him ...it's true its the way it goes with all favorites ..but sometimes it's just annoying and dangerous enough

nermo
06-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Yes Chloe..and it's good he keeps on adapting his fans to accept this fact ..at least for the time being.. ;)

Fee
06-11-2005, 09:16 PM
Yes, he's tired, yes he may not be fully fit, and yes, his game is not suited to grass at this point, but any player who takes Nadal lightly at Wimbledon this year is making a big mistake.

*karen*
06-11-2005, 09:21 PM
Maybe he wont win wimbledon in the next few years but i believe he will one day. He needs to have more confidence in himself and believe he is going to win

connectolove
06-11-2005, 10:14 PM
He is being realistic but I hope he surprises us and himself. GO RAFA!!!

star
06-11-2005, 10:20 PM
He's a good kid. He's still very young and has a way to go before he develops as a complete tennis player. It's going to be great watching him grow. I wish the best for him.

NYCtennisfan
06-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Of course not this year but maybe a few years from now when he has an improved serve, can better flatten out his shots from the FH side, and. learns to play closer to the baseline. He's only 19 and he will learn to do these things. Who knows if he will ever win but he will not be one of those players who believes they have no shot on grass, tank matches, or just not show up.

rofe
06-11-2005, 10:28 PM
Of course not this year but maybe a few years from now when he has an improved serve, can better flatten out his shots from the FH side, and. learns to play closer to the baseline. He's only 19 and he will learn to do these things. Who knows if he will ever win but he will not be one of those players who believes they have no shot on grass, tank matches, or just not show up.

I agree that flattening his FH could potentially yield better results on grass but his looping, heavily topspinned FH is a major asset on clay. He won't give up on that so easily after his FO success so it will be interesting to see if he has the ability to develop the FH for grass.

Denise
06-11-2005, 11:15 PM
He just said the truth! But I hope he plays well in wimbly ;)

mp3junkie
06-12-2005, 03:20 AM
He's a good kid. He's still very young and has a way to go before he develops as a complete tennis player. It's going to be great watching him grow. I wish the best for him.

I wish people would stop call him a kid. Nadal is a man, just look at him.

NATAS81
06-12-2005, 03:21 AM
Yes, his face is steady developing manly features and he is leading is own life now from his great athletic family values background.

VingaRafel
06-12-2005, 03:21 AM
I wish people would stop call him a kid. Nadal is a man, just look at him.

The press usually refers to him as the man-boy from Spain. :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 04:02 AM
I don't see what the problem with calling him "kid" is. His biceps could be twice the size that they are now and that wouldn't change the fact that he's still a teenager.

rue
06-12-2005, 04:04 AM
He is being realistic but I hope he surprises us and himself. GO RAFA!!!

so do I

robinhood
06-12-2005, 04:19 AM
I don't see what the problem with calling him "kid" is. His biceps could be twice the size that they are now and that wouldn't change the fact that he's still a teenager.

I agree. Calling him "a kid" does not mean any disrespect or anything degrading. He is simply still young, and his youthfulness shows on and off court. And in my opinion, it is WAYYYYY better than a "man-child" or "boy-man," "man-boy" or whatever it is some people have dubbed him.

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 04:25 AM
I agree. Calling him "a kid" does not mean any disrespect or anything degrading. He is simply still young, and his youthfulness shows on and off court. And in my opinion, it is WAYYYYY better than a "man-child" or "boy-man," "man-boy" or whatever it is some people have dubbed him.
Those nicknames make me feel dirty.