Singles and doubles final? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Singles and doubles final?

rofe
06-11-2005, 05:31 PM
It seems that if Roger wins his doubles semis in Halle, he and Safin could meet in the singles and doubles final. Safin is already in the singles and doubles final (with Johansson).

This is a very interesting stat.

Has this ever happened before?

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 05:33 PM
don't know? Anyone got a sb covering Roger/Allegro semifunal dubs?

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 05:37 PM
7-5 first set to Roger/Allego :)

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 05:38 PM
http://www.gerryweber-open.de/live_scoring_en.php
have to keep refreshing...

Monsieur Aidan
06-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Woodbridge and Bhupathi abandoned the match. We'll have Roger v Marat twice tomorrow.

Seraphim
06-11-2005, 06:02 PM
best of three or five?

rofe
06-11-2005, 06:02 PM
Woodbridge and Bhupathi abandoned the match. We'll have Roger v Marat twice tomorrow.

Abandoned the match? Why?

Anyway, Halle is going to be an interesting tournament tomorrow. I wish, I could see it.

So, have any other players been in this unique situation?

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 06:03 PM
lol...I wasn't sure what the words in german meant...sunday double dip sundae :)

Melissa10
06-11-2005, 06:05 PM
Any ideas why it was abandoned? :confused:

rofe
06-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Any ideas why it was abandoned? :confused:

It says on the Halle website that Bhupati/Woodbridge retired. One of them must be injured.

rofe
06-11-2005, 06:34 PM
Anyone know when the doubles match is going to be played?

federerfan7465
06-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Cool facts : (from the ATP website)

Federer and Safin are the fourth and fifth players to reach both singles and doubles finals this year:
- Wayne Arthurs won singles, lost in doubles (w/Hanley) final in Scottsdale
- Rafael Nadal won singles, lost in doubles (w/Lopez) final in Barcelona
- Tommy Robredo reached singles and doubles (w/Chela) finals in Estoril

The last time both singles finalists were in the doubles final was in Scottsdale on Mar. 9, 2003. Lleyton Hewitt defeated Mark Philippoussis in the singles final, then they teamed together in doubles, losing in the final.

The last time Federer appeared in both finals was in Bangkok last year, winning the singles and losing in the doubles final (w/Allegro). Federer last won singles and doubles titles in the same tournament in Vienna (w/Allegro) in 2003.

The last tournament double winner on the ATP circuit was Nikolay Davydenko in Moscow last year (w/Andreev).

Saumon
06-11-2005, 08:46 PM
Anyone know when the doubles match is going to be played?
after the singles match and after sufficient rest for both players ;)

robinhood
06-11-2005, 08:51 PM

Federer and Safin are the fourth and fifth players to reach both singles and doubles finals this year:
- Wayne Arthurs won singles, lost in doubles (w/Hanley) final in Scottsdale
- Rafael Nadal won singles, lost in doubles (w/Lopez) final in Barcelona
- Tommy Robredo reached singles and doubles (w/Chela) finals in Estoril

The last time both singles finalists were in the doubles final was in Scottsdale on Mar. 9, 2003. Lleyton Hewitt defeated Mark Philippoussis in the singles final, then they teamed together in doubles, losing in the final.

The last time Federer appeared in both finals was in Bangkok last year, winning the singles and losing in the doubles final (w/Allegro). Federer last won singles and doubles titles in the same tournament in Vienna (w/Allegro) in 2003.

The last tournament double winner on the ATP circuit was Nikolay Davydenko in Moscow last year (w/Andreev).

Cool facts, indeed. :cool:

miss skywalker
06-11-2005, 08:53 PM
it would be nice safin could win both...
but back to reality... he could win doubles if federer gets REALLY tired

robinhood
06-11-2005, 08:55 PM
I think Marat and Joachim have the edge in the doubles with their serves alone.
Plus I don't know that much about Allegro and how good a player he is.
Should be fun!

Stevens Point
06-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Allegro vivace con fuoco!!!!!

robinhood
06-11-2005, 09:02 PM
Steve, I just love reading your post and seeing my name on your signature. :angel:

rofe
06-11-2005, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the stats. :wavey: I am interested in one more stat (if you know). When was the last time that two players playing against each other in the singles final also played against each other in the doubles final?

Nimomunz
06-11-2005, 09:38 PM
fucking hell this is what i call bloody brilliant sport.
I hope one doesnt win both singles and doubles

smucav
06-15-2005, 02:57 AM
When was the last time that two players playing against each other in the singles final also played against each other in the doubles final?http://www.peterbodostennisworld.com/Shark-o Cartilage
In a post yesterday, I appealed to Greg Sharko of the ATP Tour to let us know when the two singles finalists in a tournament also figured as opponents in the doubles final (as did Roger Federer and Marat Safin at Queens Club last Sunday; Federer won both encounters). The answer is April 9, 1995, when Martin Sinner of Germany defeated Guillaume Raoux of France in Johannesburg, with Raoux then teaming with Rodolphe Gilbert to beat Sinner and Joost Winnink in the doubles.

But get this: the last player to beat the same singles opponent in the doubles final was, like Federer, a Swiss – Jakob Hlasek. His victim in the two Basel finals of 1991: John McEnroe (who was teamed with Petr Korda).

The weird part: Hlasek’s partner in the final was Patrick McEnroe.

rofe
06-15-2005, 04:07 AM
http://www.peterbodostennisworld.com/

Thanks a lot! :hatoff:

Pea
06-15-2005, 04:43 AM
http://www.peterbodostennisworld.com/

:scared: