Karlovic vs Roddick Queen's final: who will win? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Karlovic vs Roddick Queen's final: who will win?

tangerine_dream
06-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Who do you think/wish/hope/want to win? :p

Fergie
06-11-2005, 05:05 PM
Ivo 7-6 6-7 7-6

Golfnduck
06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
RODDICK

Skyward
06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
I hope the final is washed out, and the winner is determined by a coin toss. :D

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:08 PM
I'm torn. I don't like Roddick as a person, but Ivo's game really is quite awful.

Who WILL win? Depends on how Ivo serves :yawn:

Auscon
Roddick wont screw this one up....he'll do the job and get himself the title

silverwhite
Want: Roddick in 2.
Think: Most likely 3 sets. Winner is up in the air. TBs are like Russian Roulettes, especially so with 2 big servers playing. It will depend on who gets lucky on the day. :p

DanEd
06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Ivo 6-7 (20) 76 (35) 76 (50) in 30 minutes.

Stats ivo andy
aces 70 55
return points 2 1
won

Deboogle!.
I think it depends on how Karlovic's serve holds up in his first ATP final.

mandoura
Andy 6-4/7-6

El Legenda
06-11-2005, 05:10 PM
6-0 0-6 6-0 Ivo :)

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Ivo 7-6 6-7 7-6
Roddick 76, 67, 76
or 67, 63(or4), 76(9)

tangerine_dream
06-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Andy absolutely must hold serve if he is to win against Ivo. And keep the giant on the run on the baseline.

Good luck to Andy tomorrow! Big final, big opponent, hopefully a big win :bigclap:

guida
06-11-2005, 05:40 PM
Andy must not lose focus for one second or he'll be doomed; then again maybe Ivo will show the pressure.

Basic lottery. And I hate to gamble. :unsure:

NYCtennisfan
06-11-2005, 05:41 PM
6-0 0-6 6-0 Ivo

LOL!

There will maybe be one break in the match so something like 7-6 6-7 7-6 or 7-6 7-6 or maybe 6-4(or 3 depending on who started out serving) 7-6.

Fedex
06-11-2005, 05:41 PM
I dont know, but I do know that there will be a few tiebreaks involved as well as 40+ combined aces.

Papakori
06-11-2005, 05:57 PM
I hope it is Ivo and I think he may have a chance in one of the most exciting matches of the year it could be!

Neely
06-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Ivo 6-7 (20) 76 (35) 76 (50) in 30 minutes.

Stats ivo andy
aces 70 55
return points 2 1
won
LOL :haha: :haha:

loved the basic nature of these stats, but for tomorrow I just would like to have it the other way around :)

marcelwks
06-11-2005, 07:18 PM
Roddick in two 7-6 6-3 or 6-3 7-6 :)

Jogy
06-11-2005, 08:10 PM
go Ivo and make 60 aces and win!

Sjengster
06-11-2005, 08:36 PM
The apocalypse is upon us; Jogy and I agree on something.

Vass
06-11-2005, 11:39 PM
Hopefully Karlovic. Nothing short of 7-6 6-7 7-6 though

oneandonlyhsn
06-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Whatever the outcome I wont be surprised if its the shortest and most :zzz: :zzz: final.

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-12-2005, 12:07 AM
andy in 3
his return is better

tangerine_dream
06-12-2005, 12:39 AM
Roddick Warns Final Will Be Boringhttp://67.19.129.138/mtf/images/icons/icon10.gif
The 6ft 10in Croatian blasted his way to a Stella Artois final showdown with fellow big hitter Andy Roddick today

Those like Tim Henman who maintain clandestine measures are afoot to take the pace out of grass-court tennis may care to study this afternoon’s serving shootout that will go by the name of the Stella Artois Championship final.

Aces will be abundant, service returns in short supply and extended rallies unheard of as Andy Roddick, who has propelled a tennis ball faster than any other human being, and Ivo Karlovic, an opponent the American defending champion says “serves the ball out a tree”, try and bludgeon each other into submission.

As a contest it won’t be pretty. Some purists who clutch to the belief that tennis is a game of strategy, manoeuvre and deft disguise will possibly find it distasteful. But anyone heading for the Queen’s Club will experience an afternoon to illustrate just how fierce and crushing the power game can be.

Standing 6ft 10in, Karlovic is the tallest competitor on the ATP tour. Roddick, who really has no place to complain after crashing a serve at 155mph at this tournament last year, even went as far as offering a word of caution for this afternoon’s prospective spectators. "It will probably be pretty boring to watch," he warned.

"It’s going to be a lot of serving, and there might be just a couple of moments here and there that are going to be extremely tense. There are going to be games where I will just be forced to watch his serve fly by and know there is nothing I can do about it."

With two players so dominant from the service line — Roddick has clubbed 40 aces this week and Karlovic exactly twice as many — the safest bet of the day is that at least one of the sets will extend to a tie-break. If that is the case the 77th-ranked Croatian from Zagreb could be in line for his first title after establishing a 100% record throughout the tournament. "I’ve always been known for being so tall, now it’s nice to be known as a finalist," Karlovic said afterwards. "Roddick plays unbelievably on grass and he serves excellently, so it will be a typical match," he added.

Roddick is intent on emulating the feats of John McEnroe and Lleyton Hewitt by winning this event for the third time in a row and so again establishing himself as the player most likely to dethrone Roger Federer at Wimbledon. A year ago he appeared to be en route to a second Grand Slam title when rain intervened and the Swiss player’s ability to change game plan caused a shift in fortunes. Most certainly Karlovic will not have similar options today.

Those who decry Roddick maintain he is a player who has no Plan B if things are not going well, but Karlovic knows only one way to play; serve as hard as possible and hope any further exertion is unnecessary.

After Roddick laboured slightly on his path to the final, beating the Czech Republic’s Radek Stepanek 6-3 2-6 6-2, Karlovic did much the same to sixth-seeded Thomas Johansson as he did a day earlier to former world No 1 Hewitt. No matter how much guile and fight a player possesses, and as both Andy Murray and Tim Henman can atest, the Swede is an accomplished performer, there are days when brute force steamrollers all.

To dismiss Karlovic as a one-trick pony is most certainly doing a disservice to the 26-year-old who ended Hewitt’s Wimbledon title defence in the first round two years ago. By virtue of his huge reach he is a difficult player to pass, and lobbing him will test even the most accurate.

Johansson, like every other opponent, tried to expose him on the half-volley, but Karlovic realises his athletic limitations and only occasionally ventures inside the court. Roddick knows he must be more accurate and observed: "A lot of the best movers are a little smaller than him. However I think this surface more than any masks his weaknesses and he’s able to go for broke."

Little did Roddick think his path to the final would be delayed by almost an hour and a half when he began proceedings with a thudding ace down the middle of the court.

Admittedly, the American did have to save a couple of break points, but once more his potent serve averted any danger and when Stepanek opened with a nervy double fault, the signs seemed ominous.

Nothing damages the self-confidence more than having service broken at the first opportunity, but Stepanek is an insular personality who doesn’t seem too bothered by either convention or what other players think off him. So, shrugging off his initial setback, the Czech opted to take Roddick into unknown territory on grass, extending him to an 11-stroke rally. It was a portent of what was to come. Though Stepanek lost the first set fairly routinely, he was not an opponent about to simply usher the defending champion through, and before too long the tide of the match took a drastic turn. Suddenly it was Roddick who had no answer to his opponent’s serve and a distinct mood of abhorrence between the two contestants heightened.

By rights Roddick should have been annoyed with himself after letting a 40-love lead crumble, and glares were exchanged across the net as Stepanek continued on the offensive to register the break that would give him the upper hand for the entire second set.

The orange-shirted right-hander is hardly the most popular player among his peers; Greg Rusedski implored him to speed up play a little in their third-round match this week, while a few months ago in Miami against Tim Henman, the Czech was not averse to feigning injury in an attempt to upset the other player’s rhythm.

Something was certainly griping Roddick and the harder he tried to drive the ball, the more stoically Stepanek volleyed. For the entire set the second seed had no answer to his opponent’s accurate and more than occasionally hostile serve, and ideas on how to change the trend were not at a premium.

At one stage Roddick was so frustrated by Stepanek’s stalling tactics that he went as far as appealing to umpire Fergus Murphy. "He was just kind of finicking and asking me to hold up just a little bit," said the American. "To his credit, he stopped after I asked the umpire."

Stepanek did not seem concerned in the slightest by any official intervention and dropped only one point of his own serve throughout the second set. Meanwhile Roddick was experiencing one of the most frustrating times he’s experienced since first treading the usually hospitable lawns of Baron’s Court. His return was virtually ineffectual and the rest of his game seemed to be plummeting to the same level.

High in the stands, his coach Dean Goldfine conferred with fitness trainer Doug Spreen, but they could only hope that something would click their employer back into gear. Four unreturnable Stepanek first serves at the beginning of the third set seemed ominous, but finally the spark for a change in fortunes came.

Twice Stepanek failed to get his first serve into play and Roddick pounced on the opportunity, attacking the second ball with a purpose and coming up with dividends. The Czech, so confident just a couple of minutes before, was suddenly rattled and, mimicking his opponent’s habit of taking a celebratory hop, skip and jump, Roddick bounced his way back to the courtside chairs. Victory was then firmly in Roddick ’s sights but he will have to heighten his gaze today when he faces that man that serves out of a tree. And as both Lleyton Hewitt and Thomas Johansson will undoubtedly confirm, the experience is not a pleasant one.

------

Gotta love the gossipy way the British press reports on a match. :lol:

bad gambler
06-12-2005, 12:42 AM
thanks Andy for the heads up :silly:

bad gambler
06-12-2005, 12:44 AM
this is a toss of the coin job, probably lean with roddick given his experience

allanah
06-12-2005, 12:49 AM
I haven't a clue. But I'll say Andy (more out of hope than any real sense of conviction).

Hope Ivo's serve is pooh tomorrow. (sorry Ivo fans)

Deboogle!.
06-12-2005, 12:50 AM
thanks Andy for the heads up :silly:I told him how much you like to be fully informed and completely apprised of all situations :p

GoranIvanisevic546346
06-12-2005, 12:59 AM
Ivo will show the pressure

Karlovic is to dubm to fell pressure. However, good luck Ivo...

How many 8+ rallys we wil see today?

LuckyAC
06-12-2005, 01:03 AM
Well, since most seem to think it's a coin flip, I guess I should mortgage my house and bet my life savings on the 3.4 odds on Karlovic.

Neely
06-12-2005, 01:08 AM
:rolls: Thanks Tangerine for this great article that I enjoyed reading very much! :yeah:

Denise
06-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Roddick in three... i don't like him, but i'm just sayin' my opinion :rolleyes:

fini
06-12-2005, 05:37 AM
the titan

3/6 7/6 6/4

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-12-2005, 06:11 AM
who will win between dumb vs. dumber??? :shrug:

...but i hope and pray and cross my fingers that it's Andy, but, Andy is weird and all haywire now,so, i am prepared for the worst

Daniel
06-12-2005, 06:27 AM
Ivo in 2 sets

azmad_88
06-12-2005, 06:30 AM
ivo 7-6(19) (14)6-7 7-6(16)

Douggie Style
06-12-2005, 07:01 AM
I think Roddick will defend his title

miss skywalker
06-12-2005, 07:41 AM
i hope ivo. he's a great guy comparing to roddick and he really deserves this title... why? well look at his results in last five months, and you'll see how often he gets chance like this. he may be not most talented tennis player, but neither is roddick and look what he's got in his career

Björki
06-12-2005, 08:31 AM
Andy :bounce:

Iheartandy&roger
06-12-2005, 10:12 AM
RODDICK.

BlackSilver
06-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I will be sleeping at the time, and this is all that really matters :)