Karlovic spoils men's tennis for me right now. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Karlovic spoils men's tennis for me right now.

Hagar
06-11-2005, 04:54 PM
I've watched Karlovic play Hewitt yesterday and Tojo today, and I watch it with horror.
Grass tennis is already my least favourite thing when it comes to tennis but some guys are really great to watch on this surface: Federer, Henman, Hewitt, Rochus, Malisse (in a good day). Why? Because with them, you get some variation. OK, there will be some games with only serves but there will be some nice volleys, passing shots, lobs. In other words: EXCHANGES.
Almost nothing of that with Karlovic. One-way traffic.

I'm starting to get worried because... who on earth can break this guy? Someone must do it or otherwise, this guy is going to win Wimbledon, it's as simple as that. :eek:
Hope three winning sets might already make a difference.

croat123
06-11-2005, 04:57 PM
karlovic is awesome to watch on this surface. he's got an amazing serve and good volleys. that's what grass court tennis is all about.

ur just pissed cause hewitt can't beat him on grass

myggen
06-11-2005, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't worry if I were you... :) Federer had no problem against him last year, and there are a few other guys who can trouble him, as well. But he certainly is a dangerous floater in Wimbledon. With a lucky draw I can easily see him reaching quarters/semis, but to win? Never. He has big problems against big servers like himself, and almost never beats them.

wipeout
06-11-2005, 05:02 PM
It's at times like this that we all should be thankful for the existence of Ninja. http://moddb.com/images/smilie/ninja.gif

Actually, yeah, if Karlovic meets a couple of other guys with big serves in a row then I think it's a coin-toss who goes through.

Neely
06-11-2005, 05:02 PM
It's up to you all what you are considering as boring. For me personally, watching some good offensive serve and volley play and good serving performances in close and exciting match where you know that every point in a tiebreak can be deciding and where no mistakes are allowed is better than watching one-sided sets 6-2 1-6 0-6 sets on clay, watching moonballs or eventless and pointsless long rallies on clay where nothing happens because the surfaces slows down good shots or nobody is taking enough risk.

As for serves. Yes, damn... this Karlovic guy plays very short points, but it's a legitimate weapon just like Coria's speed, Federer's forehand or other strengths of other players.

And finally don't forget, to win a match you actually need to get receiving points off your opponent's serve. And Karlovic and Roddick did that this week better than anybody else.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
Croat, I think you're a bit biased.

The guy is a borefest. I mean, if you like him personally, that's fine. I've heard he's a great guy. But for fans who actually want to see tennis instead of just serving, he's dreadfully boring.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
I also think that his extreme height gives him a rather unfair advantage, but there's nothing you can do about it.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:05 PM
And finally don't forget, to win a match you actually need to get receiving points off your opponent's serve. And Karlovic and Roddick did that this week better than anybody else.

Now I think we both know that this is FAR from true.

whirlwind
06-11-2005, 05:06 PM

The guy is a borefest. I mean, if you like him personally, that's fine. I've heard he's a great guy. But for fans who actually want to see tennis instead of just serving, he's dreadfully boring.
So what if he's biased, you think you're objective when you're talking about Karol Beck. :rolleyes:

Auscon
06-11-2005, 05:06 PM
Karlovic hasnt spoilt anything

its top returners who should be good enough to break the guy, and yet werent able to, that are spoiling things

Neely
06-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Now I think we both know that this is FAR from true.
With this week, I (of course) referring to the tournament in Queen's only. Look at the results who won the matches and who reached the final and you will know what I'm speaking about.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:09 PM
With this week, I (of course) referring to the tournament in Queen's only. Look at the results who won the matches and who reached the final and you will know what I'm speaking about.

Their return games don't even come close to the likes of Lleyton Hewitt. Not matter who won matches, you can't say they returned better than any other player in the draw, it would be a lie.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:10 PM
So what if he's biased, you think you're objective when you're talking about Karol Beck. :rolleyes:

Did I say I was?

User id 7816
06-11-2005, 05:11 PM
if you worry about him winning Wimby, guess there's always Federer to take care of that :) if you cant watch one-way traffic, just skip his matches, like some of us do ;)

mandoura
06-11-2005, 05:12 PM

I am with you on that, all of it.

silverwhite
06-11-2005, 05:13 PM
I'll have to agree. I mean, props to him for working on his serve to make it such a weapon, but it makes for really boring viewing. :shrug:

Grasscourt tennis can be fun to watch, as shown by Federer, Henman, etc., when it involves shot variety, but it gets boring when it's just about the serve.

Neely
06-11-2005, 05:13 PM
Their return games don't even come close to the likes of Lleyton Hewitt. Not matter who won matches, you can't say they returned better than any other player in the draw, it would be a lie.
Okay, it would be a lie to say that Karlovic or Roddick are generally better return players than all others who did not make it so far in Queen's this week.

But then I'm saying that they won the decisive points of their opponent's serve, something the "obviously better return players" couldn't do or else Hewitt had broken Karlovic back or else Hewitt had succeeded in getting receiving points from Karlovic in the tiebreak.

whirlwind
06-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Did I say I was?
No, you didn't but you make it sound bad if someone else is biased, and we all are, so no point in saying that.

silverwhite
06-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Okay, it would be a lie to say that Karlovic or Roddick are generally better return players than all others who did not make it so far in Queen's this week.

But then I'm saying that they won the decisive points of their opponent's serve, something the "obviously better return players" couldn't do or else Hewitt had broken Karlovic back or else Hewitt had succeeded in getting receiving points from Karlovic in the tiebreak.

When Karlovic holds that easily, he can afford to take a big swing on his returns, and eventually, chances are that he might break. Like I have mentioned, he deserves his victories but I don't enjoy watching them. :shrug:

Neely
06-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Yes silverwhite, fair enough.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:21 PM
No, you didn't but you make it sound bad if someone else is biased, and we all are, so no point in saying that.

:confused:

Raquel
06-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Watching Karlovic is like the way it was 5-8 years ago with Goran, Pete, Mark all hitting aces and as a result the grass game was slowed down. I think this week has seen some great matches like Johansson v Murray, Roddick v Beck, Roddick v Grosjean, Hewitt v Malisse etc. and it shows that the serve isn't as dominant on grass as it once was. Roddick's lost his serve 2 or 3 times in each match. However you'll always get a few players like Karlovic, Popp, Joachim Johansson who will serve a ton of aces, but they do that on all surfaces anyway (clay, obviously not as much). Because serve is not so dominant on grass as it was, and we get to see more good matches from the back of the court than a few years ago, I actually don't mind watching Karlovic type matches now and again because I like to see people try and find ways of breaking this serve so I thought today's match was actually quite entertaining.

Scotso
06-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Like I have mentioned, he deserves his victories but I don't enjoy watching them. :shrug:

Exactly.

star
06-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Karlovic hasnt spoilt anything

its top returners who should be good enough to break the guy, and yet werent able to, that are spoiling things

Bingo!

:worship:

DDrago2
06-11-2005, 05:26 PM
The tactics for Ivo is to get him into tie-break - and good serverers will almost certanly do so - and there, when he is under pressure, nick one or two mini-breaks.

Federer should be able to do this in 8 out of 10 tie-breaks with him. Some other players also, I think Safin is amongst them and Roddick also.

And don't forget that Hewitt does not like high-bouncing balls... There are returners better suited for Karlovic than him. I think Safin would be able to handle Karlovic's serve better than him.

NYCtennisfan
06-11-2005, 05:33 PM
Hey, I think it's interesting. And really, he's the only one who plays like this. People might say someone like Pim Pim or Roddick play like this but in reality it's nothing like Ivo. He changes things up and I'm sure the top players fear him on this surface. He'll provide some interesting matchups come Big W time.

Blaze
06-11-2005, 05:35 PM
It is not like he is around all year round so if he can win matches during the grass season all the better for him.

*Ljubica*
06-11-2005, 05:46 PM
I've watched Karlovic play Hewitt yesterday and Tojo today, and I watch it with horror.
Grass tennis is already my least favourite thing when it comes to tennis but some guys are really great to watch on this surface: Federer, Henman, Hewitt, Rochus, Malisse (in a good day). Why? Because with them, you get some variation. OK, there will be some games with only serves but there will be some nice volleys, passing shots, lobs. In other words: EXCHANGES.
Almost nothing of that with Karlovic. One-way traffic.

I'm starting to get worried because... who on earth can break this guy? Someone must do it or otherwise, this guy is going to win Wimbledon, it's as simple as that. :eek:
Hope three winning sets might already make a difference.

I agree with every word Hagar...............Ivo IS a nice guy, but that kind of game style is boring to me whether it is him or any other robotic big serve machine.

I'm pretty sure he won't win Wimbledon though - Federer will see to that! ;)

Papakori
06-11-2005, 05:56 PM
I like Karlovic and I personally find him interesting to watch (Not exciting but quite interesting) but that is just me though and I can understand if some don't like his style of play!

mickymouse
06-11-2005, 05:59 PM
The big serve is an asset but it's not everything.
Joachim Johanson served 50 aces in AO 05 but still lost to Agassi

Sjengster
06-11-2005, 06:09 PM
It is not like he is around all year round so if he can win matches during the grass season all the better for him.

Precisely. When Karlovic starts dominating the ATP Tour and comes to personify men's tennis for the average spectator, then we can worry, but this time of year and the indoor season are really the only times you have to put up with him. Tomorrow is his first and may well be his last tournament final, so I hope he makes the most of it. Hitting big serves is a skill, and more to the point it took guts to come from 6-7 down in the TB today with two big second serves to get to matchpoint and claim victory. He also knows what he's doing at the net, he has some nice hands and of course a huge wingspan that enables him to cut off the volleys.

yonexforever
06-11-2005, 06:30 PM
if you dontlike his style of play then you muyst just AGE watching Joachim Johansson.
I have to admit though watching Agassi survive his onslaught in Australia was simply must see TV!!

Yoel and co.
06-11-2005, 06:37 PM
I'll have to agree. I mean, props to him for working on his serve to make it such a weapon, but it makes for really boring viewing. :shrug:

Grasscourt tennis can be fun to watch, as shown by Federer, Henman, etc., when it involves shot variety, but it gets boring when it's just about the serve.

Agree with every word.

I don't get Eurosport or ESPN on my TV, so when BBC shows tennis, it is one of my only chances. But tomorrow I won't be seeing the final - it will simply be serve, serve, serve.

No disrespect to Ivo, though. Tojo looked totally lost of words (and actions) at times.

Deboogle!.
06-11-2005, 07:00 PM
And don't forget that Hewitt does not like high-bouncing balls... There are returners better suited for Karlovic than him. I think Safin would be able to handle Karlovic's serve better than him.I thought of this yesterday. Hewitt is also shorter than some, and Karlovic's serve bounces high. I am sure you are right that Safin would handle it better, simply because he's taller.

Sjengster
06-11-2005, 07:07 PM
Hewitt and Johansson are of course the same height, 5'11"... those are two players I would have thought could neutralise Karlovic's strength, but they obviously didn't manage it (1 breakpoint between them in two matches, whereas the grass novice Gonzo actually broke him!). Both are better returners than Roddick, so in theory Karlovic should hold onto his serve throughout tomorrow, but it's all a question of nerves from his side and also Roddick's greater confidence than all of Karlovic's previous opponents, given that his serve is just as big a weapon and equally hard to break. It's hard to imagine Karlovic being able to bluff some return points on Roddick's serve in the tiebreaks, he surely can't run down the latter's forehand from the baseline.

Jim Jones
06-11-2005, 07:55 PM
I like Karlovic. Also how many 2 metre guys play tennis? Not many, you can count them on one hand such as Norman and Popp. Here is a picture of Karlovic at Queens. Check out his arm span.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/photo?slug=afp-050610175340.u3ck2lpy&prov=afp

Dragan
06-11-2005, 07:56 PM
Ivo is unstopable on grass! Win wimbledon? stranger things have happened! he is the tie break king 4 sure

heya
06-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Johansson had a tight 3rd set with Murray.
Murray suffered from leg cramps & lost serve soon after.
Hewitt had 11 aces, and still went down 0-40 vs. Karlovic.

Hagar
06-11-2005, 10:08 PM
I agree with every word Hagar...............Ivo IS a nice guy, but that kind of game style is boring to me whether it is him or any other robotic big serve machine.

I'm pretty sure he won't win Wimbledon though - Federer will see to that! ;)

I hope at least Federer can stop him. The thing is: this guy has seriously improved his game. When he beat Hewitt in 2003, everyone thought we wouldn't see this guy back, but as soon as this guy smells the grass, there he is again, and each time in a better version.

Well, you can't blame Karlovic, he does what he has to do, plays the game according to the same rules as the others, and with succes. But it bugs me that no one seems to be able to break this guy's serve so far.

Socket
06-11-2005, 10:50 PM
I respect Karlovic for maximizing the tennis talent he has for the grass court season. But, as someone who grew up watching players like Edberg, Becker, and McEnroe play on grass, he's not just in their league in terms of either talent or "watchability".

Horatio Caine
06-11-2005, 11:15 PM
Karlovic is beatable...Alex Bogdanovic of all people beat him in 2003 7/6 6/7 7/6. Jamie Delgado managed to break him once in each set a year later I think. If these lesser players can do it, even on tiebreaks, top players can. Granted, this was 1 or 2 years ago, and Karlovic has had chance to improve since then, but his confidence at the start of this week couldn't have been very high.

DanEd
06-11-2005, 11:22 PM
this week gonzalez was able to broke him

I hope at least Federer can stop him. The thing is: this guy has seriously improved his game. When he beat Hewitt in 2003, everyone thought we wouldn't see this guy back, but as soon as this guy smells the grass, there he is again, and each time in a better version.

Well, you can't blame Karlovic, he does what he has to do, plays the game according to the same rules as the others, and with succes. But it bugs me that no one seems to be able to break this guy's serve so far.

Vass
06-12-2005, 12:00 AM
I always experience feelings of pity to the opponents of big servers... I'm too sensitive I guess, but isn' it paiful to watch tennis when there's a guy who serves an ace twice in a game and an unreturnable twice more?

jenanun
06-12-2005, 12:49 AM

true..

guess its what grass court is about...

that's why i prefer watching clay tennis.....

croat123
06-12-2005, 01:16 AM
honestly, this thread is like saying you that nadal and coria spoil tennis on clay because all they do is get everything back with a lot of spin and wait for their opponents to make an unforced error :o

TennisLurker
06-12-2005, 01:28 AM
The coria nadal final was one of the best matches of the year, and at least what coria and nadal do resembles tennis, you know, point construction? forehands, backhands? the andy ivo final will look more like javelin throwing, archery, a shooting competition.

croat123
06-12-2005, 01:30 AM
speed is a weapon just as the serve is a weapon

heya
06-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Yeah, Coria and Nadal have a chance on grass against Karlovic too.

croat123
06-12-2005, 01:35 AM
lol...i would love for ivo to draw coria or nadal first round at wimbledon.

a: i'll get to see him on tv
b: he'll win in straight sets
c: it will open up the draw for him cause he won't have another top8 seed til the quarters

silverwhite
06-12-2005, 03:41 AM
if you dontlike his style of play then you muyst just AGE watching Joachim Johansson.
I have to admit though watching Agassi survive his onslaught in Australia was simply must see TV!!

Huh? Pim Pim can actually win groundstroke rallies with his big FH. :confused:

NATAS81
06-12-2005, 04:04 AM
To yonex,

Pim was just going for everything in that match vs Agassi. He was coming off of back-to-back 5 set matches if I'm not mistaken. At least one 5-setter for sure. He was flailing away at everything to get the points over as quick as possible to conserve energy. He didn't have a game plan.

It multiplied the importance of his 50+ aces in that match.

DanEd
06-12-2005, 04:29 AM
Karlovic has a big forehand too.
Huh? Pim Pim can actually win groundstroke rallies with his big FH. :confused:

DanEd
06-12-2005, 04:30 AM
nah, he always plays the same way

To yonex,

Pim was just going for everything in that match vs Agassi. He was coming off of back-to-back 5 set matches if I'm not mistaken. At least one 5-setter for sure. He was flailing away at everything to get the points over as quick as possible to conserve energy. He didn't have a game plan.

It multiplied the importance of his 50+ aces in that match.

silverwhite
06-12-2005, 04:34 AM
Karlovic has a big forehand too.

Not really. Pim Pim's FH ranks much higher than Karlovic's if you were to rank all the players' FHs.

Papakori
06-12-2005, 09:57 AM
Ivo is beatable for sure! Last week in Surbiton, Daniele Bracciali of Italy beat him in the final 6-7(0) 7-6(5) 7-6(4)

Experimentee
06-12-2005, 03:52 PM
Ivo has an exceptional serve, and I find it great to watch bc its amazing that someone can serve like that so accurately and consistently. It takes a lot of skill. There are also other aspects of his game that are good to watch on grass, like volleys and his BH slice. A lot of the time its the same thing, but its hard to find a nicer guy and its not his fault that his game is like that.

IMO it would be very boring if everyone played like the players you prefer and there were no big servers and no variety among players.

NATAS81
06-12-2005, 03:55 PM
nah, he always plays the same way
So you're not going to give him props for setting the ace record after back-to-back 5 set matches?

Pim plays over-aggressive if you can say that. Definitely more aggressive than Ivo, as he should with the superior weapons.

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
The coria nadal final was one of the best matches of the year, and at least what coria and nadal do resembles tennis, you know, point construction? forehands, backhands? the andy ivo final will look more like javelin throwing, archery, a shooting competition.

:yeah:

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Karlovic has the same chances of winning Wimbledon than for instance Gaudio, ie zero

oneandonlyhsn
06-13-2005, 09:42 PM

This is why I like players like Safin, Federer, Nadal, Gaudio and Santoro. They have more going for them then just explosive forehands and serves. Serve and volley, stunning shots (Federer :worship: ) They make you go gagaga watching a match. Nadal isnt afraid to come to net to finish points and that is why he is a fav of mine among clay courters.

croat123
06-13-2005, 09:43 PM
:o

no, nadal has the same chances of winning wimbledon that gaudio. if he doesn't face a top player early expect ivo to do at least as well as last year

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
:o

no, nadal has the same chances of winning wimbledon that gaudio. if he doesn't face a top player early expect ivo to do at least as well as last year

Last time you discredited Nadal, he shutted your big mouth (Ljubicic Miami 05). Will u ever learn? ;)

Julio1974
06-13-2005, 09:49 PM
honestly, this thread is like saying you that nadal and coria spoil tennis on clay because all they do is get everything back with a lot of spin and wait for their opponents to make an unforced error :o

Maybe that statement is correct about Coria (to a certain extent) but I think you have not watched Nadal' s matches...

Julio1974
06-13-2005, 09:54 PM
Karlovic is 69th in the ATP. How can anyone compared this guy with Nadal??? Are we insane???? Karlovic cannot tie Nadal's shoes.

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Karlovic is 69th in the ATP. How can anyone compared this guy with Nadal??? Are we insane???? Karlovic cannot tie Nadal's shoes.

Itīs typical Croatian MTF hype, donīt worry it will go as soon as Ljubicicīs one ;)

vincayou
06-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Watching karlovic is a bit like drinking water. Nothing unexpected will happen.

That said, he can beat many (most) people on grass, including Nadal. I would not want him anywhere near of one my favourites.

goran_the_2nd
06-13-2005, 10:40 PM
guy's it's not a hype.. noone said karlovic is better player then nadal, but the reallity is... he _could_ beat nadal on gras, and thats a fact. on any other surface nadal would be a HUGE favorite and probably the winner, but on grass, i dont think so. biggest threat for karlovic are players with good serve, i believe he cant beat the opponent with good serve cuz of his return. agains all the others - he'll have a good chance.

RaVeR
06-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Itīs typical Croatian MTF hype, donīt worry it will go as soon as Ljubicicīs one ;)

you are so boring :rolleyes:
SHUT UP!

croat123
06-13-2005, 11:06 PM
exactly. nadal does everything better than ivo other than serve and volley. but guess what...it's grass court season and IVO IS BETTER THAN NADAL ON GRASS

and yes, nadal beat ivan in three sets on a slow hardcourt in opressing heat and ivan had a back injury. great win

croat123
06-13-2005, 11:07 PM
Maybe that statement is correct about Coria (to a certain extent) but I think you have not watched Nadal' s matches...
i saw most of his match against waske. he does not have the game for grass and would just be blown away. he did good to win a set because grass takes away all of his weapons and exposes his weaknesses.

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 11:16 PM
you are so boring :rolleyes:
SHUT UP!

Nadal better then Ljubicic???!

too funny...
Ljubi is better at least 2 times!

Here comes the one who said Ljubicic was at least twice better player than Nadal, go learn sth about tennis..lol ;)

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 11:19 PM
exactly. nadal does everything better than ivo other than serve and volley. but guess what...it's grass court season and IVO IS BETTER THAN NADAL ON GRASS

You may be right at present time (you can also notice Nadal is not on my top 10), but I honestly donīt think Karlovic will develop his game too much. Nadal will improve for sure. Just a matter of time there will be no doubt about whoīs the better player even on grass.

and yes, nadal beat ivan in three sets on a slow hardcourt in opressing heat and ivan had a back injury. great win

Nah I donīt think it was a great win, Nadal has won much more important matches this year. It was a funny one though

Deivid23
06-13-2005, 11:22 PM
i saw most of his match against waske. he does not have the game for grass and would just be blown away. he did good to win a set because grass takes away all of his weapons and exposes his weaknesses.

Iīve seen all Nadalīs matches on grass (that third set against Waske was the worst he has ever played) and I agree on the fact grass takes away some of his weapons, but be sure he will do better in the future than many people think. I also told this about Nadal playing hard courts, some people for sure remember, just wait and see

goran_the_2nd
06-13-2005, 11:40 PM
not that it does matters.. but ljubicic defeted nadal this year in doha i believe? however, i wouldnt say ljubo is overall better player then nadal.. on fast surface yes, but on slower ljubo does not have a chance. and those are just a fact's.

GoranIvanisevic546346
06-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Nadal is clay court specialist and that it is...he is best clay court playen on the globe, but on other surface`s there are some better player and on grass Karlovic is one of them.

mandoura
06-14-2005, 02:13 AM
Iīve seen all Nadalīs matches on grass (that third set against Waske was the worst he has ever played) and I agree on the fact grass takes away some of his weapons, but be sure he will do better in the future than many people think. I also told this about Nadal playing hard courts, some people for sure remember, just wait and see

Agree.

morningglory
06-14-2005, 02:35 AM
Aw please, some of his weapons??? The only thing he's got is the ball-retrieving sense of a terrier. Works great on clay, but NO avail on grass; you're just gonna get winnered very soon.
P.S Puerta should have won RG. Nadal was being humiliatingly passive and defensive in that match, surviving on Mariano's errors, playing style pretty much like Hewitt though.

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 02:36 AM
Aw please, some of his weapons??? The only thing he's got is the ball-retrieving sense of a terrier. Works great on clay, but NO avail on grass; you're just gonna get winnered very soon.
P.S Puerta should have won RG. Nadal was being humiliatingly passive and defensive in that match, surviving on Mariano's errors, playing style pretty much like Hewitt though.
have you seen his forehand? :rolleyes:

croat123
06-14-2005, 02:39 AM
he only hits that forehand when he's in a good position to hit it. on grass, he doesn't get the chance to construct points like he would on clay. also, he has such an elongated motion on his forehand that i don't see him adapting to the speed of grass courts

croat123
06-14-2005, 02:42 AM
i really hope karlovic draws nadal in the first round so y'all can see that nadal has about a 1% chance of winning that match. he won't break ivo's serve and ivo will always have a chance to try to rip four return winners in a row. that's how he broke hewitt, 3 winners and one unforced error, and that's all it takes for him to win a set.

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 02:44 AM
i really hope karlovic draws nadal in the first round so y'all can see that nadal has about a 1% chance of winning that match. he won't break ivo's serve and ivo will always have a chance to try to rip four return winners in a row. that's how he broke hewitt, 3 winners and one unforced error, and that's all it takes for him to win a set.

who is saying nadal would beat karlovic on grass?

DanEd
06-14-2005, 02:57 AM
I think Nadal will be the daddy of all Croats

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 02:59 AM
I think Nadal is the daddy of all Croats

:lol:

mandoura
06-14-2005, 03:04 AM

:lol:

mandoura
06-14-2005, 03:05 AM
Why is Rafa's play compared to Hightower's? I don't get it. :scratch:

El Legenda
06-14-2005, 03:09 AM

why because he is 2-2 vs Anicic and 1-1 vs Ljubicic.. :o

DanEd
06-14-2005, 03:35 AM
for now
why because he is 2-2 vs Anicic and 1-1 vs Ljubicic.. :o

croat123
06-14-2005, 03:45 AM
for now
you just contradicted yourself :wavey:

croat123
06-14-2005, 03:46 AM
who is saying nadal would beat karlovic on grass?
people are saying that he is clearly a superior player. so, therefore, because he is so much better, he should be able to beat ivo on grass

TennisLurker
06-14-2005, 03:49 AM
ferreira had a very big loop on his forehand and grass/carpet were his best surfaces, hewitt also has a big loop

DanEd
06-14-2005, 03:50 AM
yes i know. i will change my sentence.
you just contradicted yourself :wavey:

El Legenda
06-14-2005, 04:05 AM
for now

u make no sense.

DanEd
06-14-2005, 04:10 AM
yes i do. i have changed the sentence.
u make no sense.

Deivid23
06-14-2005, 12:22 PM

lol 1% chance of winning :rolleyes:

Itīs funny how people can say these crazy things....

croat123
06-14-2005, 01:16 PM
he won't break ivo and nadal serves in the 110-120mph range. ivo will continually just try to rip returns and he'll eventually break or get the minibreak in the tiebreak

Deivid23
06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
he won't break ivo and nadal serves in the 110-120mph range. ivo will continually just try to rip returns and he'll eventually break or get the minibreak in the tiebreak

You have shown your knowledge with that "1% chance" sentence. :wavey:

Puschkin
06-14-2005, 01:40 PM
lol 1% chance of winning :rolleyes:

Itīs funny how people can say these crazy things....

that always happens when national preferences cloud your judgement.

croat123
06-14-2005, 02:57 PM
that always happens when national preferences cloud your judgement.
all i said was that ivo would beat nadal on grass :o

he's 9-2 this year on grass, nadal is 0-1 with that loss being to Waske (a qualifier no less)

Ivo has beaten 2 grand slam champions on grass so far this season

croat123
06-14-2005, 02:58 PM
You have shown your knowledge with that "1% chance" sentence. :wavey:
i know. i have a terrible tendency of overestimating

Fumus
06-14-2005, 03:23 PM
I think he's alittle boring to watch, people call Andy's game one demonsional. Ivo makes Andy Roddick look like Roger Federer.

mangoes
06-14-2005, 03:29 PM
I think he's alittle boring to watch, people call Andy's game one demonsional. Ivo makes Andy Roddick look like Roger Federer.

lololol..............that's so true :D

DDrago2
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM

Nadal would be so unlucky to draw Ivo Karlovic in the first round, because his traumas on grass would continue. Maby he would even loose wish to play on the surface again. I agree it would be cool to see how he "fights, fights, fights" when he is totaly helpless... kid would learn something more about life.

But he has way more than 1% chance to win, as everybody sad... It's three sets and Karlovic could have a few bad service-games... And Nadal is a very tough fighter.

Fumus
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
lololol..............that's so true :D

yea, so next time someone says Andy is all serve and he won't be in the top 50 bla bla...I will just say one word to them "Ivo" ;)

Deivid23
06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
i know. i have a terrible tendency of overestimating

Yeah I know, you overestimate all Croatian players. I think you may have overlooked the fact that Nadal won in his only appearance at Wimbledon a guy named Mario Ancic, donīt know if u know this guy, maybe if he wins some matches youīll start praising him as u are doing now with Karlovic. ;)

BTW, Iīm sure you would say Ancic would win Nadal easy on grass, pity that there has been a match between both on this surface

happy928
06-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Bottom Line.....

CROATS the KINGs of FASTER SURFACE....

&

Spaniards are the Queens of Red Surface

:p

happy928
06-14-2005, 03:43 PM
Tommy Robredo's gonna do well in Wimby....other than Tommy, I don't see anyone else getting pass by QTR Finals......

LJ, KARLOVIC, and ANCIC all have better chance of getting into QTR finals than any spaniards in Wimby Entry.....

I would love to see Nadal do well on Grass, but won't happen this yr.....Kid has plenty of youth left to work on his game on Grass.....

NATAS81
06-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Tommy Robredo's gonna do well in Wimby....other than Tommy, I don't see anyone else getting pass by QTR Finals......

LJ, KARLOVIC, and ANCIC all have better chance of getting into QTR finals than any spaniards in Wimby Entry.....

I would love to see Nadal do well on Grass, but won't happen this yr.....Kid has plenty of youth left to work on his game on Grass.....
Actually I think Robredo has a pretty good chance.

Canas lost to Safin in SF.

Julio1974
06-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Bottom Line.....

CROATS the KINGs of FASTER SURFACE....

&

Spaniards are the Queens of Red Surface

:p

Well, Spaniards are the king of clay. That's undeniable. But, how many GS did croatian players win on fast surfaces? how many Master series? YOu can't compare them to Spanish players. The latter have accomplished much much more.

DanEd
06-14-2005, 04:07 PM
not even a master series final
Well, Spaniards are the king of clay. That's undeniable. But, how many GS did croatian players win on fast surfaces? how many Master series? YOu can't compare them to Spanish players. The latter have accomplished much much more.

Julio1974
06-14-2005, 04:16 PM

Exactly. Even Coria and Nadal already played a MS final on hard surfaces. And Nadal almost won it !! Ferrero played the US Open final.

NATAS81
06-14-2005, 04:32 PM
He's got a great shot at Nottingham if he can beat Ljubicic . BATTLE OF DA CROATS

LOCK AND LOAD!

vincayou
06-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Nadal would be so unlucky to draw Ivo Karlovic in the first round, because his traumas on grass would continue. Maby he would even loose wish to play on the surface again. I agree it would be cool to see how he "fights, fights, fights" when he is totaly helpless... kid would learn something more about life.

But he has way more than 1% chance to win, as everybody sad... It's three sets and Karlovic could have a few bad service-games... And Nadal is a very tough fighter.

I don't think that Nadal has a trauma with grass, you are confusing with Marat.
That said, I will pray now for a draw where Karlovic and Nadal could meet in 4th round so that we have the last word in this discussion :) :devil:

I say 4th round because I don't want both of them to be eliminated too early in the tournament.

heya
06-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Karlovic doesn't lose in Wimbledon 1st round and French Open 1st round in the same year. He's not the best player of all time.

croat123
06-14-2005, 10:24 PM
you also can't compare the contries in thier size, population, and training facilities. spain has a population of 40 million people, croatia has a population of 4 million - ten times less. croatia has three players in the top100 right now on the men's side. so, if croatia was the same size as spain, we'd have 30 in the top100 :p

croat123
06-14-2005, 10:25 PM
*cough* wimbledon *cough*

DanEd
06-14-2005, 10:38 PM
*cough* Roland Garros *cough* :p

*cough* wimbledon *cough*

croat123
06-14-2005, 11:07 PM
your comment made no sense. you guys simply asked if a croat had ever won a major tournament :o