federer's broken forehand [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

federer's broken forehand

acdbx
06-11-2005, 03:31 PM
what's wrong with it? how is he still winning with his traditionally most-trusted shot failing him every other shot?

Lady Natalia
06-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Sounds like Roger needs to be walking around with a cast or something...

NATAS81
06-11-2005, 03:44 PM
His best most trusted shot is the crossbody forehand.

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 04:08 PM
it is a symptom of his troubled thought more than anything technical, I think. I remember when Steffi Graf's Dad was being jailed for German tax stuff, her forehand went. It almost was like a broken arm. Fed's is on and off. There may be something we don't know bothering Roger, in psych terms, a conflict. I can speculate on some of the factors, but it does follow the form of a self-attack. It expresses the "I'd give my right arm to..." expression, too well. Maybe he has felt he was being greedy winning so much. Maybe he felt guitly doing it while Peter was his coach, and then dismissing him, and continuing without him, until running into his new charge at AO, compounded by his own sore feet. Maybe bringing on Roche which pleases him so much is also an added burden in some way. Maybe he feels the press got ahead of him in his own expectations and now is enraged as they switch the focus to Nadal. Maybe a family member is ill? Maybem baybe, so many possibilities but bottom line his KILLER shot sometimes kills and sometimes KILLS his chances.

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 04:15 PM
I'll just say, that using it, seems to produce anxiety, as if his unconscious is saying, enough killing??? Although against Nadal in the first set and elsewhere, I felt he got caught up in overcooking it, for him, sort of influenced by the sight of Nadal's shots. When he got inside himself, he did better. Other people who lost significant best oarts of their games for a time when the psych was unravelling a bit, Martina Hingis, lost her aggression and her groove, in the early stages of mother-daughter conflict.

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-11-2005, 04:52 PM
no prob. when his BH is working fine and it worked!

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 04:58 PM
Spiel beendet (Abgebrochen)
anyone know what this means?

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
play suspended

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-11-2005, 05:03 PM
or match completed

NYCtennisfan
06-11-2005, 05:20 PM
no prob. when his BH is working fine and it worked!

Yes, but when the FH and BH are working together.....pure magic.

For what it is worth, Federer said that it was his best match this week. Grass court tennis is measured in how well you dominate on your serve, take the break opportunity when it is presented, and how you return i.e. you don't want the server posting love games all over you. Federer didn't take his break point opportunities but he did serve well enough not to allow a BP. If you look at Pete's old grasscourt results, a lot of tight scores but very few breaks given up. Even though the matches were close, the other player knew they had no shot. I don't think Federer is at that level but I don't think he has brought out his best stuff yet either.

robinhood
06-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Wasn't this thread titled "Fed's broken BACKHAND" at first??

nermo
06-11-2005, 07:23 PM
yes i think i'll go with avocadoe here..its not technical..i believe there's something different about Federer...may be its phsycic yes..but he seems a little bit different ...i think he now also gets under stress easier or let's say..he shows it more obviously ..and this is reflectd on his playing and his shots..not only his forehand i believe...and from the bottom of my heart..i wish him to go through this and to keep going

avocadoe
06-11-2005, 11:23 PM
Nermo, I'm with you, hopping, lol, him through the thicket and into the clear again. I think he'll find his way through. He needs a slam soon to give him back the psychic edge. I hope he wins tomorrow, but the Wimbledon title would be what this doctor ordered :)

Denise
06-12-2005, 04:16 AM
it's good he is not 100% ok! :devil: j/k

babsi
06-12-2005, 09:39 AM
Nermo, I'm with you, hopping, lol, him through the thicket and into the clear again. I think he'll find his way through. He needs a slam soon to give him back the psychic edge. I hope he wins tomorrow, but the Wimbledon title would be what this doctor ordered :)
You are right - with everything you said on the subject - if he can win Wimbledon,he will be his old self again, that is,if the problem is not grounded in something outside of tennis.