Excuse me for being ignorant but.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Excuse me for being ignorant but....

sharpeirob
06-10-2005, 03:25 PM
..I dont watch too much men's tennis, but for a while now i have been wondering about Lleyton Hewitt and how he actually wins so many matches. I watched him, and i just thought he was so boring, his backhand cross court was never ending, never any variation on the shot and it was so repetive....Please somebody tell me his major strengths, maybe a forehand?

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
The mentally toughest player on the tour, along with one of the fastest.

Winston's Human
06-10-2005, 03:26 PM
To me, Hewitt's #1 strength is mental. He rarely goes away mentally in a match.

Hewitt is also speedy.

Purple Rainbow
06-10-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi greatest strengts are his footwork, his never-give up attitue, his ability to raise his game for the big points and his stamina. And apart from having a decent forehand and backhand, Lleyton has the best lob on tour.
If you find his game boring you either have a very short attention span (players recommended to you: Karlovic, Arthurs, Norman), or you just don't like tennis.

sharpeirob
06-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Hi greatest strengts are his footwork, his never-give up attitue, his ability to raise his game for the big points and his stamina. And apart from having a decent forehand and backhand, Lleyton has the best lob on tour.
If you find his game boring you either have a very short attention span (players recommended to you: Karlovic, Arthurs, Norman), or you just don't like tennis.

Thanks, you know people dont always have to find the same players enjoyable :)

sharpeirob
06-10-2005, 03:31 PM
Thanks George and Winston too :)

Purple Rainbow
06-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Thanks, you know people dont always have to find the same players enjoyable :)

A lot of people don't like Hewitt, mostly because of his on court attitude. I think there is a general agreement though, that he's a very good and fairly spectacular player to watch.

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Hewitt playing Davis Cup is something that is very good to watch, especially when it gets close as he loves playing Davis Cup unlike some of the other top players.

jmp
06-10-2005, 03:49 PM
sharpeirob, I hope you watch more mens' tennis. I REALLY enjoy it. Everything the others have said here about his strengths are spot on. I have NEVER seen a player employ the defensive lob to such successful effect. You never know it's coming and BAM! at the last minute he flicks and it lands right inside the baseline. His mental strength is what jutted him in front of his age group and made him the youngest #1 ever able to maintain that ranking for two consecutive years.

Come over to the dark side and get into the mens' game. ;)

sharpeirob
06-10-2005, 03:52 PM
sharpeirob, I hope you watch more mens' tennis. I REALLY enjoy it. Everything the others have said here about his strengths are spot on. I have NEVER seen a player employ the defensive lob to such successful effect. You never know it's coming and BAM! at the last minute he flicks and it lands right inside the baseline. His mental strength is what jutted him in front of his age group and made him the youngest #1 ever able to maintain that ranking for two consecutive years.

Come over to the dark side and get into the mens' game. ;)
haha thanks jmp

Hagar
06-10-2005, 04:45 PM
First of all, have a look at
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/Highlights/default.asp?playernumber=H432
I read this page from time to time and each time I find it simply breathtaking what Hewitt has achieved at only 24.

I think he's awesome to watch. He does not have the in-your-face talent of Federer, but he has all the things one needs to be the absolute top in tennis. First of all, Hewitt performs all the basic shots in tennis very well: forehand, backhand, serve, drop shot, lob. Most of the time he plays from the baseline but when he comes to the net he shows that his volleys are also very decent. His footwork is amazing; it's always fantastic to watch in slow motion how he moves. His timing is great and he has very good eyes which makes him a terrific returner and helps him to come up with deadly passing shots.
Hewitt is a guy who often kills slowly. He's rarely dominant in a match the way Federer is. He's rather a kind of body snatcher; he will keep returning the ball. Sometimes you would think a robot has taken over.

On top of all this, I think he is the player who keeps working on his game, and that is something I admire him very much for. Of all the things Hewitt achieved, and that are many things, the way he bounced back after a lacklustre 2003 (lacklustre to Hewitt's standards coz a lot of players would still have been very happy to have had such a year) to the top 3 at the end of 2004, is one of his most amazing feats.

OK, I'm going to stop now, I'm getting lyrical and I realize it's too long ago that I've seen this great tennis player.

Neely
06-10-2005, 05:10 PM
determination and big emotions to pump himself up

star
06-10-2005, 06:29 PM
First of all, have a look at
http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/Highlights/default.asp?playernumber=H432
I read this page from time to time and each time I find it simply breathtaking what Hewitt has achieved at only 24.

I think he's awesome to watch. He does not have the in-your-face talent of Federer, but he has all the things one needs to be the absolute top in tennis. First of all, Hewitt performs all the basic shots in tennis very well: forehand, backhand, serve, drop shot, lob. Most of the time he plays from the baseline but when he comes to the net he shows that his volleys are also very decent. His footwork is amazing; it's always fantastic to watch in slow motion how he moves. His timing is great and he has very good eyes which makes him a terrific returner and helps him to come up with deadly passing shots.
Hewitt is a guy who often kills slowly. He's rarely dominant in a match the way Federer is. He's rather a kind of body snatcher; he will keep returning the ball. Sometimes you would think a robot has taken over.

On top of all this, I think he is the player who keeps working on his game, and that is something I admire him very much for. Of all the things Hewitt achieved, and that are many things, the way he bounced back after a lacklustre 2003 (lacklustre to Hewitt's standards coz a lot of players would still have been very happy to have had such a year) to the top 3 at the end of 2004, is one of his most amazing feats.

OK, I'm going to stop now, I'm getting lyrical and I realize it's too long ago that I've seen this great tennis player.

:worship:

All of that, and he is a superior tactician. Agassi said he hired Cahil because he admired Lleyton's tactics so much.

sharpeirob
06-10-2005, 07:01 PM
Thanks all! My blindness of Hewitt is slowly being reversed

for-sure
06-10-2005, 07:21 PM
Hewitt's return is highly under-rated!

Turkeyballs Paco
06-10-2005, 07:33 PM
Watching Karlovic's game today reinforces to me how much more exciting Lleyton's game is. Serve/volley puts me to sleep.

Besides, even if Lleyton's not playing his best, how can you not enjoy watching him change his shirt? :inlove: :drool:

:wavey:

Hagar
06-11-2005, 04:49 PM
Watching Karlovic's game today reinforces to me how much more exciting Lleyton's game is. Serve/volley puts me to sleep.

Besides, even if Lleyton's not playing his best, how can you not enjoy watching him change his shirt? :inlove: :drool:

:wavey:

Don't forget the fiddling with the strings of his racket. One of these days a song will come off that racket. :devil:

Anyway, I think Lleyton lacked matchplay yesterday against Karlovic, otherwise I'm sure he would have put more pressure on that freak when he returned.
I just saw Tojo play Karlovic and he got 2 millimeters from breaking Karlovic. Now, Tojo is a bit of a poor man's Hewitt. The same kind of player but an in-form Hewitt is better than Tojo.
I wish from the bottom of my heart that Hewitt meets that 2m+ freak again at Wimbledon and gives him a good spanking. The moment Karlovic feels that a guy can break him, his serve will crumble.

JMG
06-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Hewitt has definitely one of the best returns.

NYCtennisfan
06-11-2005, 05:18 PM
His first serve is also quite underrated, his passing shots from both sides are tremendous, he can create great angles even though he is not that tall, he has the best lob in the game, and is also a pretty good volleyer. Put those things together with his mental toughness and speed and you get a very, very good player who has been #1 in the world for 80 weeks total on the ATP Tour.

BelgianWaffle
06-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Don't forget the fiddling with the strings of his racket. One of these days a song will come off that racket. :devil:

LMAO!

Hagar
06-11-2005, 05:22 PM
One of the best matches to see how Hewitt can get in someone's head is the final of the Masters Cup in Shanghai in 2002. You could only feel sorry for Ferrero who seemed to be on his way to win this final but somehow Hewitt got back in the match, and pulled it out. Plus the Chinese crowd went completely bananas. Just amazing, never seen such a great crowd.