Ancic the greatest threat to Federer [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ancic the greatest threat to Federer

DDrago2
06-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I think that Ancic is the greatest threat to Federer in this year Wimbledon, not only because of being the last man to beat him on grass (and in straight sets!), but because Ancic is one of those players with whom Federer plays with great difficulty. And Federer himself sais that. Federer is more affraid of Ancic on grass, than of Nadal on clay. In Federer's words, Ancic serve is very difficult for him when it's working, while Ancic returns almost all of his serves! Federer did win twice against Ancic this year, but it was very close and on hard court. I'v seen one of those matches and it was close, while for the other one I heared that it was even closer and that Fed was lucky to win.

And those who say Ancic is mentaly fragile - they should know his giant-killing ways. Ancic knows to loose to an average player, but when he plays a top-player he always gives his best.

I say - if Federer meets Ancic, and he could meet him early enough - bye bye Fed, and bye bye early...
And regardeless of the Ancic danger, I think Federer has less chance to win Wimbledon this year than previous - I tip Roddick to win it.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:07 AM
:haha: another "Let's big up Mario Ancic" thread! Please, give me a break! :nerner:

Besides, you are talking about Ancic who is a threat to the greatest grass player on the tour right now...and he loses to a player who has won less than 3 matches on grass. :rolleyes:

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:11 AM
he did beat heman at wimbledon last year :p

he also took federer to three sets in miami on a very slow hardcourt

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:17 AM
he did beat heman at wimbledon last year :p

:nerner: Yeah but look - he lost to Gasquet. The first time I saw Gasquet play grass 2 years ago (and he has played very little since), he was like Bambi on ice and at one point landed on his ass :tape:

Tell me how Ancic, the "significant threat to Federer" lost that match. :lol:

jrm
06-10-2005, 12:21 AM
Nowadays it really doesn't matter - most guys are baseline players (remember Rochus beating Safin in Wimbledon)

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:24 AM
it was only his second match against a player who himself says he can play just as well on grass as he can on clay. federer struggled in his first match back against an even weaker opponent.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:40 AM
it was only his second match against a player who himself says he can play just as well on grass as he can on clay. federer struggled in his first match back against an even weaker opponent.

Nah - Soderling is not weak. Sure he has been off his game for a while but when his first serve is in it is difficult to return especially on grass. Granted, Federer was off form, but Soderling was a nasty R1 for him especially with only 2 days transition time from clay to grass.

Gasquet hasn't played much on grass and has never won back to back matcjes before in his life. :lol:

mandoura
06-10-2005, 12:49 AM
Nah - Soderling is not weak. Sure he has been off his game for a while but when his first serve is in it is difficult to return especially on grass. Granted, Federer was off form, but Soderling was a nasty R1 for him especially with only 2 days transition time from clay to grass.

Gasquet hasn't played much on grass and has never won back to back matcjes before in his life. :lol:

:worship: Tell him. :lol:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-10-2005, 12:50 AM
wow, ancic is a popular boy GM

playhard
06-10-2005, 12:56 AM
ancic is a good player, i agree, but not enough to make Federer scare

mandoura
06-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Borrowed from the R.Gasquet def M.Ancic 7-5 1-6 6-3 thread:

mario is mentally the weakest player on tour, he's just pathetic. if he doesn't go up an early break, he's gonna lose

So, do you think all Roger has to do is go up a break?

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 12:58 AM
No... Roddick is the biggest threat to roger at Wimbledon still.
But Ancic is still 2/2 on Centre court (straight sets wins over Federer and Henman as well :eek: )

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:01 AM
No... Roddick is the biggest threat to roger at Wimbledon still.
But Ancic is still 2/2 on Centre court (straight sets wins over Federer and Henman as well :eek: )

Agreed on first point, and I would still put Karlovic in there too. He is the first player I look for when the draw is released.

Point 2 - I think that is just coincidence. He obviously likes the setting but Federer was lax that day...and so was Henman. Mario played great matches but his 2 opponents weren't playing that near their potentials on those days.

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 01:05 AM
I wouldnt think Karlovic... roger should never ever lose his serve to Ivo at Wimbledon... and i couldnt see Ivo winning 3 tie breaks v the great man... 1 at best ;)

last year i think Rogi beat him 6-3 7-6 7-6 as well

El Legenda
06-10-2005, 01:07 AM
Ancic is crap. the most overrated tennis player in last 5 year(roddick close 2nd;)). He cant win shit.

El Legenda
06-10-2005, 01:13 AM

so with Ivans results vs Roger this year...does that mean he could take Roger easy at Wimby No!.well i hope ;)

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 01:31 AM
Ljubicic will just be glad to see no Wayne Ferriera in his way for once ;)

bandabou
06-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Ancic can be a threat, but I think the days of Roger losing to journeymen is over.

El Legenda
06-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Ancic can be a threat, but I think the days of Roger losing to journeymen is over.

Ancic is a journeymen? dont you have to be on tour for like 8-10 years to be journeymen. do u know what ur talking about. Ancic was supose to be the next Goran,

Dirk
06-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Roger beat him easily in Rotterdam.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 02:22 AM
I like Mario, but the day he loses is not the day to post a thread like this.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 02:22 AM
Ancic is crap. the most overrated tennis player in last 5 year(roddick close 2nd;)). He cant win shit.

More and more you show how you don't know shit.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Ancic was supose to be the next Goran,

Well as long as he underacheives until he's 30, he's on track.

Daniel
06-10-2005, 02:25 AM
I think that Ancic is the greatest threat to Federer in this year Wimbledon, not only because of being the last man to beat him on grass (and in straight sets!), but because Ancic is one of those players with whom Federer plays with great difficulty. And Federer himself sais that. Federer is more affraid of Ancic on grass, than of Nadal on clay. In Federer's words, Ancic serve is very difficult for him when it's working, while Ancic returns almost all of his serves! Federer did win twice against Ancic this year, but it was very close and on hard court. I'v seen one of those matches and it was close, while for the other one I heared that it was even closer and that Fed was lucky to win.

And those who say Ancic is mentaly fragile - they should know his giant-killing ways. Ancic knows to loose to an average player, but when he plays a top-player he always gives his best.

I say - if Federer meets Ancic, and he could meet him early enough - bye bye Fed, and bye bye early...
And regardeless of the Ancic danger, I think Federer has less chance to win Wimbledon this year than previous - I tip Roddick to win it.\

:silly: :bs: :wazzup:

oneandonlyhsn
06-10-2005, 02:28 AM
\

:silly: :bs: :wazzup:

Daniel your avatars are always quite racy :)

Mimi
06-10-2005, 02:46 AM
i like ancic, i want him to win wimby :cool:

Doctor Dance
06-10-2005, 02:53 AM
Why is everyone says Ancic is a real threat?

Why not Roddick and Hewitt who are proven grass court players? :confused:

RonE
06-10-2005, 04:59 AM
And I thought the clay season provided the most entertaining trolls.

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-10-2005, 06:08 AM
I never understood all this hype over Ancic. Few times I saw him on tv, he was mostly losing, looking very ordinary in the process. Granted, it was on hard courts, so maybe grass will bring out something special in him. I find it hard to believe though.

DDrago2
06-10-2005, 07:29 AM
It seems that most of you didn't realy read my post...

FEDERER HIMSELF SAIS ANCIC IS VERY TOUGH FOR HIM

He is one of those against Federer has difficulty to play, against whom he can't dominate. That doesn't mean that Ancic is that good - he too often looses to average players. But against good players and when the occasion is big he gives 110%

Dirk:Roger beat him easily in Rotterdam.

You think so? Hey, I watched the match. Federer never dominated, altghough it was in strait sets. I instantly thought: It's no coincidence Ancic beat him badly in Wimbledon 2002.

Henman also complained that Ancic serve is extremely difficult and the reason he lost what that, and not his bad play. I think Ancic serve is much more difficult than, say, Roddicks, since both Henman and Federer are helpless whenever Ancic has a good service-game.

And as for his loss to Gasquet - as I said, he knows to loose when you don't expect. But I also think Gasquet is an underated player, and I think he will be better than Nadal when he developes. I wanted to make a thread about that during Rolland Garros, but I couldn't post because I forgot my previous password...

deliveryman
06-10-2005, 08:38 AM
Ancic would be tough, but as roger has proven time and time again, he will prevail.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Ancic is a great tennis player and a big promise for later years. I actually see him as a great competitor for Wimbledon, despite of his early loss in Queens. I don't think he's ready to win it already, but he's sure shown he's able to play on grass! Maybe one day he can win a great tournament (like Goran indeed).

Rex
06-10-2005, 08:55 AM
it doesnt matter- federer always pulls through- even more on grass

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:10 PM
i like ancic, i want him to win wimby :cool:

Hopefully he can wait a few years...along with every other player but Henman :devil: :lol: