Can Karlovic beat Hewitt again? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Can Karlovic beat Hewitt again?

GoranIvanisevic546346
06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
I don`t think so...Hewitt after two tie-break`s.

switz
06-09-2005, 11:49 PM
you'd have to think he Hewitt can handle Mirnyi then he can do the same with Karlovic but i wouldn't be surprised if Karlovic gets the better of him.

Karlovic def Hewitt 6-1, 6-1 :bounce:

croat123
06-09-2005, 11:56 PM
hewitt is a huge favorite, but ivo has been serving very well in the last two weeks and hewitt has had his lapses on serve. i think ivo has a chance to make it close at least

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 11:58 PM
I don`t think so...Hewitt after two tie-break`s.

Totally disagree...if it goes to tiebreaks then Karlovic will win them. I think that is his best shot. He won't break the Hewitt serve at any rate.

Neely
06-09-2005, 11:58 PM
I'm not so completely conviced yet about Hewitt's play, for sure a more than solid comeback after being out of competition so long, but if Karlovic is serving well he could make it very tough for Hewitt, maybe even pull out a win. It's not impossible for him to get a few return points off Hewitt in tiebreaks to win these if he can hold his own serve very well.

Then again, Karlovic seemed to enjoy a much better time last year and I also don't rate Karlovic that good at the moment despite winning matches on grass and actually breaking serve. But I have to say that I didn't see any of Karlovic's matches on grass so far.

I surely wouldn't feel comfortable being forced to bet on this match :p If I HAD to bet money, I would trust Hewitt because I have the feeling/hope it might be the winning side at the end.

joeb_uk
06-10-2005, 12:13 AM
Today hewitt was very shaky in the second set (hitting so many short balls, he was getting murdered). It gave max a chance to smash a big forehand from all the short balls he was giving him, and then finish it at the net. He also seemed to hit quite a few errors in the second.

3rd set was a different story, started to handle the mirnyi serve alot better and also cut out the short hitting (and murdered mirnyi). He really knuckled down for the final set (it was getting dark and about 8pm uk time, i thought hewitt was gonna ask the match to be called off because he was so bad in the second). It was like when max got the first break he blew the set (but thats the great thing about the warrior, he comes straight back and hands mirnyi a bitchslapping). He was struggling to put good returns into play in the second though. I didnt seem the first set im afraid, so cant comment on that one.

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:15 AM
Totally disagree...if it goes to tiebreaks then Karlovic will win them. I think that is his best shot. He won't break the Hewitt serve at any rate.
very true. karlovic is getting 70% of his first serves in and winning 95% of those points. there would be a lot of pressure on hewitt in the tiebreaks and he has been shaky in his first two matches

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:15 AM
I would like to see Henman get past what should be a jaded Johansson (6 sets in the space of 6 hours) and play the SF. Even if it is Hewitt, if Tim adopts a positive mindset somehow, I think he can win through to the final.

Neely
06-10-2005, 12:20 AM
very true. karlovic is getting 70% of his first serves in and winning 95% of those points. there would be a lot of pressure on hewitt in the tiebreaks and he has been shaky in his first two matches
If Karlovic has one hell of a serving performance, there's a lot of pressure on Hewitt because he knows he must win virtually every of his serve points in the tiebreak. Even Federer at Wimbledon needed two tiebreaks against Ivo and he couldn't have complained if one had went to other way and he couldn't afford (much) errors in them.

I'm really curious to know how this match is going tomorrow, IMO it will provide a good test for Lleyton which he hopefully will master successfully. :)

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:20 AM
but if it's karlovic, the curse will prevail and ivo will be in his first pro final :devil:

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:21 AM
If Karlovic has one hell of a serving performance, there's a lot of pressure on Hewitt because he knows he must win virtually every point in the tiebreak. Even Federer at Wimbledon needed two tiebreaks against Ivo and he couldn't have complained if one had went to other way and he couldn't afford (much) errors in them.

I'm really curious to know how this match is going tomorrow, IMO it will provide a good test for Lleyton which he hopefully will master successfully. :)
fed got through those tiebreaks with one minibreak in each and that was because he played flawless tennis with 0 unforced errors

Bilbo
06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
Tough match for the gentleman. He's facing the best serve in the world on this surface.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:23 AM
but if it's karlovic, the curse will prevail and ivo will be in his first pro final :devil:

Bollocks and you know it! :lol:

Besides, Henman had him at the US Open when he could barely bend over for his back was so painful.

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:24 AM
true, but this is grass. june/july = croatians actually win matches

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:25 AM
:p

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Besides, I genuinely feel that Ivo is a title contender on any fast / grass surface...his serve is just too good a lot of the time. He got to 4th round of Wimbers last year...he can go further I reckon, and hell, if his brain gets struck by lightening (and that is a possibility as his head is in the clouds...physically and metaphorically speaking!!) or something, he might even win the thing.

joeb_uk
06-10-2005, 12:27 AM
If Karlovic has one hell of a serving performance, there's a lot of pressure on Hewitt because he knows he must win virtually every of his serve points in the tiebreak. Even Federer at Wimbledon needed two tiebreaks against Ivo and he couldn't have complained if one had went to other way and he couldn't afford (much) errors in them.

Didnt federer need 3 tiebreaks in gstaad against him too :eek: thats a very impressive result. I mean look how easily he handles the ducks serve (and he always has problems with ivos).

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:28 AM
true, but this is grass. june/july = croatians actually win matches

Implying they don't win them often off grass? :nerner:

No, you are right. It will be interesting. I will be watching Ivan closely next week...maybe I should ask him what Henman's weaknesses are. I can then inform the British gentleman on what he is doing wrong...the next match result can go the right way :devil:

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Didnt federer need 3 tiebreaks in gstaad against him too :eek: thats a very impressive result. I mean look how easily he handles the ducks serve (and he always has problems with ivos).

No - it was 2 tiebreaks...6/7 6/3 7/6 I think. But yeah, the point is valid. The difference between Ivo and Andy is that with Ivo you really cannot tell whifch direction it is heading until too late..and he gets an acute angle off serves out wide. Often Andy serves in patterns and players almost guess which way he is serving (Tommy Robredo once said he actually guesses at times) and you tell a little from his motion and stance which way he is going sometimes. Also, I guess Fed is used to playing Andy a lot each year. He doesn't play Ivo much because as Croat123 said (I think), he has lost most of his matches R1.

croat123
06-10-2005, 12:38 AM
ivo only had 3 wins this season before surbition last week.

the difference between ivo and the duck is in the second serve. the duck always hits a kick serve to the backhands side...always (just like dementieva always hits to the forehand side). it's not bad against poor returners, but it is the reason the duck can't beat the best of the best. henman has a good record against him because he can effectivley use his slice to return those second serves. with ivo, he can hit any angle on the court at 170-180kmph with his second serve. i actually would love to watch the duck play ivo. i mean, despite his terrible return, you would figure the duck's second serve would be right in ivo's strike zone and all ivo would have to do is keep holding serve because the duck doesn't have a strong return game

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I can see tie breaks... and Lleyton needs to not make any double faults, like he's been doing a bit lately..

Golfnduck
06-10-2005, 01:36 AM
Maybe, but not likely.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 02:25 AM
Lleyton will break him more than a few times... and that means Ivo will lose.

Auscon
06-10-2005, 05:45 AM
Despite Ivo's good form this tournament, and Lleytons still shaky display at times after making his return, I think Lleyton can take him out without losing a set

But as has been said, Lleytons own service games have been questionable at times, so he might only get the one break chance in a set against Karlovic, which will just put alot more pressure on his serve

Auscon
06-10-2005, 05:48 AM
Hi just hope Roger has a superpowerful service machine setup on a ladder so Lleyton can get some practice in

NYCtennisfan
06-10-2005, 06:32 AM
No. LH will win with one total break, probably something like 7-6, 6-4.

Neely
06-10-2005, 04:31 PM
I didn't see the match, but however Karlovic did it, he even broke Hewitt!
Well done for him!

I hope Lleyton is better prepared for Wimbledon, he still has some time left to practise :yeah:

Exodus
06-10-2005, 04:33 PM
I must say that im a little bit surprised sure Karlovic is TALL, guess Hewitt isn't playing that good after a long break

robinhood
06-10-2005, 04:34 PM
He just defeated Hewitt 7-6 6-3.
:mad:

jes_021
06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
That damm serve of Karlovic didn't hamper once.
He wins with 7-6,6-3, with just one break in the whole match.

Still one positive thing for Lleyton that he had a 74 % first serves in. He served great the whole match, while he's normaly around 50%, too bad he didn't get enough chances on Karlovics serve.

azza
06-10-2005, 04:40 PM
omg Lleyton :haha:

Neely
06-10-2005, 04:40 PM
I believe certainly nobody would like to see Karlovic in his section of the draw for Wimbledon :lol:

Now I would like to see the big servefest between Karlovic and Roddick in the final! :yeah: with Andy as the winner ;)

Go Ivo and Andy! ;)

goran_the_2nd
06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
No. LH will win with one total break, probably something like 7-6, 6-4.

almost ;)

i'm glad for karlovic, he will earn some money.

athina7
06-10-2005, 04:41 PM
I must say that im a little bit surprised sure Karlovic is TALL, guess Hewitt isn't playing that good after a long break
The frustrating part of his loss is that he was playing well. He was holding comfortably the whole match aside from that one service game in the second. There was really nothing he could do to break. Anyway, this sucks :mad:

goran_the_2nd
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
The frustrating part of his loss is that he was playing well. He was holding comfortably the whole match aside from that one service game in the second. There was really nothing he could do to break. Anyway, this sucks :mad:

yeah, they should forbid karlovic to serv. just aint fair :devil:

bad gambler
06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
LOL, nothing more Hewitt could have done against that serving barrage

Pleasing thing was that Hewitt was serving really well, bodes well for Wimby

athina7
06-10-2005, 04:48 PM
I believe certainly nobody would like to see Karlovic in his section of the draw for Wimbledon :lol:
That's for sure!

DDrago2
06-10-2005, 04:50 PM
Karlovic played almost perfect match for his standards, serve was as good as it gets for him and volleying also.

Not the same can be said for Hewitt. Apart from his serve, everything else was not so good. He made mistakes when Karlovic was on the net, trying to lob or pass him instead of trying to blow him off with strong, spinned balls that go below the net cord, as Roger does. His returns were sometimes spectacular, but others were not good enough - he could return more serves back, expecially 2nd serves. I'm sure that Roger would break Ivo today a couple of times.

robinhood
06-10-2005, 04:51 PM
I guess this Hewitt loss pretty much seals #2 seeding for Andy Roddick.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 04:52 PM
"Can Karlovic beat Hewitt again?"

Well, he just did.

:haha:

:o Sorry, totally inappropriate.

Good win Ivo. :yeah:

Rogiman
06-10-2005, 04:56 PM
"Can Karlovic beat Hewitt again?"

Well, he just did.

:haha:

:o Sorry, totally inappropriate.

Perhaps he can catch Nadal's plane - oh, no, Nadal lost two rounds earlier... :lol:

Sorry, inappropriate :o

mandoura
06-10-2005, 05:02 PM
Perhaps he can catch Nadal's plane - oh, no, Nadal lost two rounds earlier... :lol:

Sorry, inappropriate :o

:lol:

But isn't this like comparing oranges and apples? ;)

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-10-2005, 05:05 PM
Lleyton :sad:

amierin
06-10-2005, 05:26 PM
What was that Lleyton was saying about Nadal and hype?
Bye Lleyton.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 05:27 PM
Lleyton :rolleyes:

JMG
06-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Congrats to the bright genius Ivo.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 05:31 PM
Possibly the most boring match I have watched this year, but I had a feeling Karlovic would win it on serve alone..and I wasn't wrong!

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me if he got to the final now...and it wouldn't surprise me if he won the final either. Roddick or Stepanek is a 50/50 match...and sure to be the most boring final contested in years. :rolleyes:

*Ljubica*
06-10-2005, 05:31 PM
To me that match encapsulated everything I loathe about grass court tennis. Hewitt didn't play badly - but it doesn't matter who you are - even a former Grand Slam winner and Number 1 in the world playing well - if you're facing some giant with a huge serve on fast grass - you have little or no chance :devil: I'm not wishing to be personal or offensive about Karlovic (he is a nice guy as it happens and good luck to him for making the most of his assets), - but watching a game that goes:-

Serve - 15-0
Serve - 30-0
Serve - 40 -0
Serve - game

is the best cure for insomia I have ever seen :zzz:

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 05:37 PM
I'm not wishing to be personal or offensive about Karlovic (he is a nice guy as it happens and good luck to him for making the most of his assets), - but watching a game that goes:-

Serve - 15-0
Serve - 30-0
Serve - 40 -0
Serve - game

is the best cure for insomia I have ever seen :zzz:

Well...

I just hope that I don't get too comfy in my seat next week;
I hope that the sun isn't shining too much;
I hope I haven't drunk too much;
I hope that I am not going to be pleasantly stuffed (stomach);
I hope it isn't too warm;

If so...I will be picked out, (as they have done at Wimbledon and Queen's) slumped in my chair fly-catching :lol:

heya
06-10-2005, 05:51 PM
Hewitt served less than 70%, then Ivo broke his serve at 0-40.
Aces:
Hewitt- 11
Ivo- 12

*Ljubica*
06-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Well...

I just hope that I don't get too comfy in my seat next week;
I hope that the sun isn't shining too much;
I hope I haven't drunk too much;
I hope that I am not going to be pleasantly stuffed (stomach);
I hope it isn't too warm;

If so...I will be picked out, (as they have done at Wimbledon and Queen's) slumped in my chair fly-catching :lol:

I will set the VCR just in case - wouldn't want to miss your starring role for one moment!!!! ;)

Golfnduck
06-10-2005, 06:04 PM
Congratulations Ivo!!! :bigclap:

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 06:18 PM
I just hope Ivo doesn't pull out of Nottingham because of his success at Queen's...

Jogy
06-10-2005, 06:24 PM
VERY GOOD IVO KARLOVIC!!!!!!!!!! :banana: :banana:

GoranIvanisevic546346
06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Can you imagine what will be if Karlovic has decent groundstroke`s and return?. I mean he would be like 5 times Wimbledon champion. Ivanisevic serve was great, but his is unbelievable.

crouching
06-10-2005, 06:39 PM
Actually, I found the match totally fascinating. I fell asleep watching the Henman-Johansson match because it bored me to no end, but not the Karlovic-Hewitt match.

Karlovic volleys pretty decently, considering his height, and played very well on Hewitt's final service game. He actually made a couple of very good returns (including an improbable forehand return winner!).

This isn't the same player who got kicked out of Surbiton 1st round!

Jim Jones
06-10-2005, 06:44 PM
actually Karlovic made it to the finals of Surbiton!

crouching
06-10-2005, 06:54 PM
Sorry, I was thinking of Greg! *brain freeze*

gooner88
06-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Karlovic was serving bombs today, but Hewitt didin't take his chances.
He missed more returns than usual today.
Guess it's a hat-trick of Queens titles for A-rod, cause Hewitt was the only guy in the draw who could beat him in my opinion.

Adman
06-10-2005, 09:07 PM
Unlucky for Lleyton so it looks like Andy is on his way to another Queen's title.

heya
06-10-2005, 09:16 PM
This isn't Halle. :yawn:

NYCtennisfan
06-10-2005, 10:16 PM
Karlovic has played 59 sets this year and 28 of them have gone to tiebreakers for a % of 47.5. On grass, it's 13 out of 21 sets going to tiebreakers for a % of 62. Get ready to play some tiebreakers Tojo.

Sjengster
06-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Karlovic is the eponymous serving machine, it's true, but his action is so smooth and fluid, I could watch him serve all day - and for a tall man he had some very nice touch around the net at several crucial points today, none more so than the flicked backhand putaway cross-court off the letcord that allowed him to get the only minibreak in the first set tiebreak. I thought Hewitt would make more telling returns than he did, but considering he's just coming back from a long lay-off, having to face the Karlovic serve for the first time in nearly two years is a tough adjustment to make. He did miss several makeable second serve returns and his frustration showed, he never managed to threaten Karlovic on his service games.

Ironically it was also one of Hewitt's best ever serving performances, and I was thinking early in the second that Big Ivo would need at least another tiebreak to win the match, as the only way he could break serve would be if Hewitt chucked in a horrible service game out of nowhere. He did exactly that at 3-4, but fortune favours the brave and Karlovic was really going for the return that dropped over the net for the break. I wish him luck tomorrow against Johansson, but that'll be a tougher assignment - Tojo is another superb returner, but with a bit more punch on his groundstrokes and in better form at the moment.

The thing about Karlovic is, repetitive though his game may be, it's not as if you have to watch him week in and week out; he'll have bad patches during the year on slow surfaces, and only really excel at times like these when his game becomes more effective and his opponents start to fear him. As far as I'm concerned he provides an entertaining challenge for other players to figure out, because they have to prepare themselves mentally for tiebreaks and make sure they hold onto their own serve no matter what, which can lead to some very tense points once the scoreline is tight.

croat123
06-11-2005, 12:20 AM
very true sjengster. it's always interesting to see how his opponents strategize against him. his serve has somewhat to do with his height, but his motion is also one of the best. that's why he can serve at 140 mph for an entire match and get 70% of those serves in.

NATAS81
06-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Or at least 65% today.

whirlwind
06-11-2005, 08:11 AM
very true sjengster. it's always interesting to see how his opponents strategize against him. his serve has somewhat to do with his height, but his motion is also one of the best. that's why he can serve at 140 mph for an entire match and get 70% of those serves in.
True, I've heard several trainers of other players talk about Karlovic's serve last year during Wimbledon and they all agreed that Ivo not only has a powerfull serve which bounces higher cause of the height he's playing it from but also one of the best if not the best natural motion of the serve.

Consigliere
06-11-2005, 09:20 AM
Still happy with Lleyton's comeback. All looking good for an assult on AETC

03 - Karlovic
04 - Federer

If he's seeded No.2 then I can see him getting through to the final with Federer and surprising him. Although he's pretty hard to lob, like Sampras he does the cat-like leap.

bad gambler
06-11-2005, 09:34 AM
Still happy with Lleyton\'s comeback. All looking good for an assult on AETC

03 - Karlovic
04 - Federer

If he\'s seeded No.2 then I can see him getting through to the final with Federer and surprising him. Although he\'s pretty hard to lob, like Sampras he does the cat-like leap.
Roddick will be no 2 seed

Bilbo
06-11-2005, 10:44 AM
ToJo will get him today

Rogiman
06-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Although he's pretty hard to lob, like Sampras he does the cat-like leap.

Perhaps it's time to get rid of that lob, he shouldv'e learnt not to try it on Ivo after Wimby 2003 :tape:

Consigliere
06-11-2005, 10:50 AM
Roddick will be no 2 seed

What if he loses tonight???

Consigliere
06-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Perhaps it's time to get rid of that lob, he shouldv'e learnt not to try it on Ivo after Wimby 2003 :tape:

Ay Givald!! You're kidding right, it's poetry in motion mate. Just not against 7 foot box heads and Roger Federer.

Kristen
06-11-2005, 01:55 PM
Did I miss the "Karlovic df Hewitt!" thread, or was there never one made?

Oh how I love to see that boy lose. (Even if I thought he'd probably win it :tape: )

Auscon
06-11-2005, 04:05 PM
this was one supremely depressing result....can't believe Lleyton couldnt break him...hope he's in better shape for Wimbledon...chances are he'll have this guy in his draw

I hope Andy can show everyone why next to Federer he's the major threat at Wimbledon....Lleyton sure as hell didnt

Consigliere
06-12-2005, 03:04 AM
this was one supremely depressing result....can't believe Lleyton couldnt break him...hope he's in better shape for Wimbledon...chances are he'll have this guy in his draw

I hope Andy can show everyone why next to Federer he's the major threat at Wimbledon....Lleyton sure as hell didnt

What are you on about, both Lleyton and Andy lost to Rog in four sets at Wimby last year??????

Auscon
06-12-2005, 07:50 AM
What are you on about, both Lleyton and Andy lost to Rog in four sets at Wimby last year??????

I said "next to Federer", I didnt say they were threats "along with" Federer....Roger is no doubt a step above

And last year, Roddick did a pretty good job of pushing Roger in that final, and Lleyton was inches away from getting it to a 5th set in his match

theres going to be alot of pressure on Roger at this years championships, more than ever before, and in the last big match he played, RG semi, he didnt perform to the level he shouldve, whereas normally at that time in a tournament, he kicks into overdrive

I still think Roger can win, but I'm not about to hand it to him...at their very best, these guys can definitely put up a challenge....just as long as Roger isnt at his very best