Ferrero accuses Spanish media of Nadal obsession (ARTICLE) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Ferrero accuses Spanish media of Nadal obsession (ARTICLE)

sprinterluck
06-09-2005, 08:09 PM
Jealousy already? :)

Ferrero accuses Spanish media of Nadal obsession

Thu Jun 9, 2005 7:36 PM BST
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20050609:MTFH73 761_2005-06-09_18-36-50_L09566411:1

HALLE, Germany, June 9 (Reuters) - Former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero criticised the Spanish media on Thursday for focusing too much on his compatriot Rafael Nadal and neglecting the rest of the Spanish players.

Ferrero was asked to comment on the decision by Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday.

"It's not a good thing," said Ferrero, who made it through to the quarter-finals of the pre-Wimbledon grasscourt event on Thursday.

"Right now most people are talking about Nadal and forgetting the others. They still exist, and journalists should show more respect for them as well."

Ferrero, himself a French Open winner, made it through to the quarters by knocking out Nadal's conquerer, Alexander Waske of Germany.

"Nadal can lose also. He's human," Ferrero said.

oneandonlyhsn
06-09-2005, 08:10 PM
No comment :scratch:

jmp
06-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I'm big on Rafa. But, JCF has a point. Spain has more than one professional tennis player and they deserve some coverage as well. The public needs to know the status of Carlos' injury and how well JCF is doing in his come back.

robinhood
06-09-2005, 08:25 PM
"Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday."

That IS bad.

lina_seta
mmm a bit of jealousy i would understand... but ..
ouch... the spanish press left right after nadal.... that would hurt.. and yes.. the other spanish players still exist but arent overhyped so... i think its irrespectful.. i mean ITS THE PRESS what did he expect... they dont care about respect and would rip everyone into pieces to sell news

VingaRafel
Personally I think he is a bit jealous, which is totally understandable.

He hasn't said anything really outrageous, and I think it's a fair comment. When you work so hard all your life to be a professional player, and you make it big like he has, you don't appreciate the media turning all the attention on the hot newcomer.

I think he has a point. As much as I like Nadal, I think the Spanish media should support the game as a whole, not just by one individual. I didn't know they had left after Nadal had lost, that's just.... well, not nice. I guess they are driven my money, like the rest of the world.

Leo
I wouldn't call that jealousy. :rolleyes: Ferrero's only stating the obvious. The fact that the Spanish press left after Nadal's loss is pretty sad and has to be discouraging to the other Spaniards. They deserve attention, too.

Vamos Juanqui, take that attitude from the interview room to the tennis court. ;)

Alvarillo
06-09-2005, 08:28 PM
i agree, there's an obsession with Rafa right now, yesterday Spanish TV, TVE-1, showed for frist time in history the Halle tournament (on TVE only we can see Aus Open, RG, Davis, Fed, Godó, AMS Madrid & Valencia), showed Nadal match but today they didn't show Ferrero's one, only in their channel on satellite-tv, Teledeporte

and of course if they Spanish press left the tournament after Nadal's loss is .... :mad: Ferrero, Moyá, Robredo, Ferrer, also our girls ... they deserve more respect !

Deboogle!.
06-09-2005, 08:30 PM
IMO, JCF should use it to his advantage. Let him fly under the radar and surprise some people with good results.

lina_seta
06-09-2005, 08:30 PM
agreed... the spanish press is only after nadal not tennis... being JCF i would be mad too with the press of ur country not caring about what u do

myggen
06-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm not that surprised really. The press is driven by money, and right now nothing sells better than Nadal. I guess when he is back home injured and/or burned out the other players will get some press again. Until then I guess it won't show in the Spanish media that Spain has more than a hundred professional tennis players.

MariaV
06-09-2005, 08:35 PM
Yeah well, typical media, what do you expect!!!!!!! :rolleyes: JCF has a point.
I hope the kid won't get too influenced by the hype.

Nacho
06-09-2005, 08:39 PM
helloooo, this is what spain really cares for non football sports :rolleyes:

The spanish media is not interested in tennis, they only care for Nadal's big results and that's it, they don't give a shit about tennis, really

but I must admit I'm kinda happy coz now JCF is feeling what the spanish tennis girls have been through for years: NO RECOGNITION AT ALL.

Hehe, how does it feel to be overshadowed, Juanqui? ;)

Billabong
06-09-2005, 08:41 PM
I totally agree with JC!!

richard gasquet
06-09-2005, 08:44 PM
good point juan carlos.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
06-09-2005, 08:47 PM
and of course if they Spanish press left the tournament after Nadal's loss is .... :mad: Ferrero, Moyá, Robredo, Ferrer, also our girls ... they deserve more respect !

The worst press in the world. :fiery::timebomb::armed: Juan just points out the fact. :rocker2:
And I agree,they should respect other spanish players. :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
This isn't the first time that JCF has whined about the attention Nadal is getting.

:haha: @ the journalists LEAVING Halle after Nadal lost. That's just wild.

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 08:55 PM
If Nadal is able to give tennis more press in Spain and potentially make it a more popular sport... how is this not a good thing, might I ask? JCF? :p

NINA_BCN
06-09-2005, 08:58 PM

Obsession---->Typical spanish!!!! :smash:

VingaRafel
06-09-2005, 08:59 PM
If Nadal is able to give tennis more press in Spain and potentially make it a more popular sport... how is this not a good thing, might I ask? JCF? :p

I don't think that's really the point. What Nadal has done for the sport is awesome, specially for the Spanish fans and the media (in terms of profits). But for them to basically say to the other players: FUCK OFF !! WHO CARES ABOUT Y'ALL !! GET LOST !! Well, that's far from acceptable for ...anybody!! That is just not right.

NINA_BCN
06-09-2005, 09:02 PM
I don't think that's really the point. What Nadal has done for the sport is awesome, specially for the Spanish fans and the media (in terms of profits). But for them to basically say to the other players: FUCK OFF !! WHO CARES ABOUT Y'ALL !! GET LOST !! Well, that's far from acceptable for ...anybody!! That is just not right.

:yeah:

VingaRafel
06-09-2005, 09:04 PM

I guess you are kidding here anyway.. LOL ... I never know when to take you seriously..... I guess I should never right?? LOL :D

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 09:06 PM
The point is, JCF whined about this not too long ago. I believe, based on that, that his Nadal-attention-issues run a little deeper than what happened this week. :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 09:07 PM
I guess you are kidding here anyway.. LOL ... I never know when to take you seriously..... I guess I should never right?? LOL :D
No, I'm being serious. Nadal is great for tennis. He'll do more to promote to sport than JCF ever was able to simply because he's more charismatic. I like JCF, but he has the charisma of a stale cracker. That's just how it is.

NYCtennisfan
06-09-2005, 09:10 PM
Of course he is jealous but it is understandable. Here is the golden boy who has great results, reaches #1 in the world, dominates a claycourt season, press loves him and now.....

BTW, didn't Marat say basically the same thing a month or so back about there being lots of good players in Spain besides Nadal?

*julie*
06-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Sorry maybe I am a bit naive but I don't really understand :rolleyes:
JC doesn't need any journalists to play tennis and win his matches :confused: What is the use?

So different attitudes from french players who are always relieved when medias stay away.

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Of course he is jealous but it is understandable. Here is the golden boy who has great results, reaches #1 in the world, dominates a claycourt season, press loves him and now.....

BTW, didn't Marat say basically the same thing a month or so back about there being lots of good players in Spain besides Nadal?
Yes, Safin also whined his heart out that not enough journalists have been giving him blow jobs lately. This was the same interview where he suggested that he might not come back to Barca, if I'm not mistaken.

We need a :whine: smiley.

NINA_BCN
06-09-2005, 09:15 PM

It will happen to Nadal if the press continues on putting him more pressure. :rolleyes:

tennischick
06-09-2005, 09:17 PM
the first accusation (i posted this during RG)...

Green-eyed monster serves up intrigue at French Open

ALIX RAMSAY

JEALOUSY is a desperately destructive emotion but, unfortunately, it goes with the territory in professional sport. It is a very fine line that separates a competitive spirit from the green-eyed monster that resents everything and anything that the other boys have got.

Juan Carlos Ferrero has been grumpy ever since the end of last year - and it is all Rafael Nadal's fault. The young superstar has been splashed across the front and back pages of all the Spanish papers since he helped Spain win the Davis Cup in December. At the same tie, Ferrero was relegated to doubles duty alongside Tommy Robredo and he was furious. Now, at Roland Garros, where he has reached two consecutive finals and won the title once, he feels he is being overlooked in favour of Nadal, the Paris newcomer.

"He's won a lot of tournaments on clay," Ferrero said of his young rival, "and he's won a lot of respect. But I just keep playing my game. I'm not considered a favourite but maybe if I keep playing well, I might become a favourite."

Unfortunately for Ferrero, you need to win matches to become a favourite and after his 7-6, 7-5, 1-6, 7-6 loss to Marat Safin, his chance of that has gone. Safin opted to take the scenic route into the fourth round, dropping his serve at the start of the first two sets and then going walkabout in the third. But Safin is desperate to win the French Open and, with the Australian Open trophy already on his mantelpiece, he knows how to win grand slam titles. Screwing down his concentration, he took Ferrero to pieces in the final tiebreak.

http://sport.scotsman.com/tennis.cfm?id=588112005

Mechlan
06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Well, regardless of Ferrero's jealousy of Nadal, the fact that the Spanish journalists left has to be a bit insulting, so I can understand his reaction. Oh well, they're burning their own bridges if Nadal flames out and JCF ends up becoming the best ever. :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks. Hopefully that article TC posted will explain why I'm not going easy on JCF here :p

Clara Bow
06-09-2005, 09:27 PM
Bad Spanish press- shame on you for leaving Germany too soon. That really isn’t fair to all of the other Spanish players, and I also think that it is not fair to Nadal as well. Ignoring the other players is a could create backlash against Rafael , when he himself has not been asking for the hype. In addition, it is creating more and more pressure on Nadal.

But maybe JCF will be consoled in knowing that he is currently leading the 2005 “Hottest of the Spanish Hotties” poll here on MTF. ;)

sigmagirl91

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArticle.aspx?type=tennisNews&storyID=URI:urn:newsml:reuters.com:20050609:MTFH73 761_2005-06-09_18-36-50_L09566411:1

HALLE, Germany, June 9 (Reuters) - Former world number one Juan Carlos Ferrero criticised the Spanish media on Thursday for focusing too much on his compatriot Rafael Nadal and neglecting the rest of the Spanish players.

Ferrero was asked to comment on the decision by Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday.

"It's not a good thing," said Ferrero, who made it through to the quarter-finals of the pre-Wimbledon grasscourt event on Thursday.

"Right now most people are talking about Nadal and forgetting the others. They still exist, and journalists should show more respect for them as well."

Ferrero, himself a French Open winner, made it through to the quarters by knocking out Nadal's conquerer, Alexander Waske of Germany.

"Nadal can lose also. He's human," Ferrero said.

Er, uh....Nadal was on a hot streak, so why not the attention. I think it was well-deserved. So, why the "retractable claws", JC?

Chloe le Bopper
Well, regardless of Ferrero's jealousy of Nadal, the fact that the Spanish journalists left has to be a bit insulting, so I can understand his reaction. Oh well, they're burning their own bridges if Nadal flames out and JCF ends up becoming the best ever. :p
JCF will accept them back with open arms. Attention is attention.

Lee
06-09-2005, 09:28 PM

exactly

Mechlan
06-09-2005, 09:32 PM

I guess that's one way he and I are different then. Fickle media, fickle players.... :rolleyes:

roisin
06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Fair play JC, needed to be said. Since he was asked about it, he wasn't gonna exactly praise the Spanish media for leaving. The media are gonna want to talk about Nadal now since he's on a roll, but there is more than one Spanish player, and he's right, thats just lack of respect.

Marat did say something along those lines a while ago too...

"You come here and all you hear is Nadal, Nadal, Nadal. It is wrong for somebody so young. The country has great players. Moya, Ferrero, Albert Costa have all won the French Open but nobody talks about them. Only Nadal. Why is this?"
-- Marat Safin in Barcelona.

Francine
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
JC needs to understand that reputations don't count in sports. He was hyped up 4 yrs ago, now it's Rafa's turn. If he wants his attention back he needs to earn it with his tennis.

These quotes are placed out of context though, they asked him a suggestive question and he gave them the answer they were out for.

Damita
06-09-2005, 09:37 PM
he did yes.
And he and JCF have a good point. Ferrero, Moya, and others have done a lot for Spanish tennis, it's a bit sad they're forgotten that easily.

But in the same time, Nadal is more charismatic than any of them so that can explain why the press is soooo obsessed at the moment.
And i think it happens in every country at any moment. There's always one guy/girl who gets all the attention while the others do their job far from the cameras...even if they have won GS or have been #1 in the past. :shrug:

propi
06-09-2005, 09:38 PM
Well hardly surprising as Spanish tennis press sucks big time... their comentaries are shameful at best :rolleyes:
He does have a point... so much Nadal and nothing about others... for example, Ferrer has been doing a great year so far... he's only mentioned on news et al. after losing to Nadal.
Sure Ferrero is jelous but now he's feeling on his shoes what happens with women tennis for example. Actually Juanqui is well known here, after all he was number 1, Davis cup hero, and star in 15709 of advs :p

DanEd
06-09-2005, 09:39 PM
Ferrero used to be the best spanish player, a roland champion, the best clay court player,#1.

right now Nadal is the current king of clay, the current roland garros champion and the best spanish player therefore Ferrero is very JEALOUSY (add the fact nadal won two matches against him and was a key factor in davis cup last year)

roisin
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
These quotes are placed out of context though, they asked him a suggestive question and he gave them the answer they were out for.
indeed.

Francine
06-09-2005, 09:40 PM
I don't think it's weird that the press left with Rafa btw, they weren't there for the tournament to begin with. How many Spanish journalists have been there in the past? If it were another more important tournament they prob. would've stayed.

avocadoe
06-09-2005, 09:43 PM
I hate the media...they stoke the players, pander to their favorites, forget them next day. Not the best of them, of course, who have perspective and see more than the star bursting in front of their eyes. Some are so dumb, Marat has a hard time not pointing it out, they are out to get Roger's goat these days. They are ball busting ego bruisers as a bunch, never really allowing each player to tell their own story but trying to say I know you feels this, or why don't you feel that. The quote at eurosport to today< Halle, was a classic in idiocy, stupidity and disrepect..."In his stead???" Indeed. Not trying to make anyone jealous.

07:42 In his stead, we have the reigning Wimbledon champion and grass court supremo Roger Federer, who locks horns with German Florian Mayer today... the Swiss maestro look shaky in his 1st round match against Soderling, but once he gets used to the grass, he is practically invincible!!

07:40 Yesterday we watched newly-crowned French Open champion Rafael Nadal crash out in the 1st round to home hero Alexander Waske... the Spanish teen sensation is now heading back to Mallorca for a well earned rest.

vincayou
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Yes, Safin also whined his heart out that not enough journalists have been giving him blow jobs lately. This was the same interview where he suggested that he might not come back to Barca, if I'm not mistaken.

I can understand Marat. If after his match one question out of 2 was about Nadal, it must be rather irritating. I mean, if you invite Martin Scorcese and you only talk with him about the last star wars movie, he can ask himself why he came here to answer questions.

nermo
06-09-2005, 09:52 PM
Well, isnot that media all over the world.???..once a new comer starts to appear..he s all under spotlights ...everything rotates around him..while everyother person just sinks to the depth ..and becomes a (fill in the spaces)..what s said by ferrero..is fair enough..but the same goes with Federer..Gaudio..etc,...every new winner has this attention as a debut.even Ferrero himself must have been under spotlight in his glory days..and i wonder, if Ferrero was in place of Nadal at the time being, would he say the same about forgetting other spanish players?? no offense ,but Attention really matters here guys..

Lee
06-09-2005, 09:58 PM
This reminds me of this girl, Danica Patrick. She ended in 4th place in the Indianapolis 500 on May 29 and instantly, a star is born. She's on David Letterman's show. She attracted the most search queries at msn and no celebrity was Googled more than her. :rolleyes:

RogiFan88
06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Well the Spanish press obviously are not interested in tennis if they leave when the favourite and 'Number 1 player by far' (in his own words), Roger Federer, is still in the tournament! Ignorant tabloid hacks! ;) :devil:

PamV
06-09-2005, 10:13 PM
He makes a perfectly good point. Media is stupid.

lau
06-09-2005, 10:15 PM
ok..., I though Marat was right when he said almost the same thing (in April...Barcelona??)..... :scratch: . Maybe I was wrong.....(and Marat too), but the situation was different then.... I don`t know.... At least I admit it. ;)
But, JC, sweetie, HE WON A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO RG!!!! The press is the press (they want to sell and don`t have enought space for all....). I guess when JC won RG the same thing happened with him. :rolleyes:
And if that didn`t happen it was because he didn`t have his age when he won it ;)
In my humble opinion, a teenage pro tennis player with 665 race points and a grand slam title by June is a big news by the press standards (and mine too).

PamV
06-09-2005, 10:18 PM
Well, isnot that media all over the world.???..once a new comer starts to appear..he s all under spotlights ...everything rotates around him..while everyother person just sinks to the depth ..and becomes a (fill in the spaces)..what s said by ferrero..is fair enough..but the same goes with Federer..Gaudio..etc,...every new winner has this attention as a debut.even Ferrero himself must have been under spotlight in his glory days..and i wonder, if Ferrero was in place of Nadal at the time being, would he say the same about forgetting other spanish players?? no offense ,but Attention really matters here guys..

I don't think the Argentine media ever focused solely on Gaudio, did they? I think there has always been interest in all of their guys. As for Federer....there are so few Swiss players and the others are not in the top 50, so I can't blame them for the amount of attention to Federer. Still I don't think they'd leave a tournament if any Swiss player were left in the draw.

If Ferrero were in the position of Nadal.....he probably wouldn't be that aware of the fact that the media is only following him and not the rest of his countrymen.

nermo
06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
of course..this attitude by Spanish journalists declares paying no attention to tennis as much as the attention to the new spanish comer..its ignorance but i see it happens all the time in every spot of the world..i think the same happens in the U.S. when american players lose in a tourney..then they stop covering it on t.v....seen lots of ppl complaining about it..it happens here all the time ..but never thought it is an international behaviour :rolleyes: :shrug:

PamV
06-09-2005, 10:21 PM
The press is the press (they want to sell and don`t have enought space for all....). I guess when JC won RG the same thing happened with him. :rolleyes:
And if that didn`t happen it was because he didn`t have his age when he won it ;)
In my humble opinion, a teenage pro tennis player with 665 race points and a grand slam title by June is a big news by the press standards (and mine too).

I think the point is however, that tennis is a popular sport in Spain regardless of Nadal, so the tennis fans there still would want to know about what the other players are doing too. The press could still manage to cover the other players, right? What else are they going to do.....follow Nadal to Mallorca and photograph him resting?

hablovah19
06-09-2005, 10:24 PM

:rolleyes:

lau
06-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I don't think the Argentine media ever focused solely on Gaudio, did they? I think there has always been interest in all of their guys.

That was a different situation (argentine final). And we had enough Gaudio for a long time :lol: (but I like Gastón, so I don´t complain ;) )
And Gaudio didn´t have such a clay season before RG (he had a pretty one after and some of the other arg. players reached some finals, titles, etc...).

hablovah19
06-09-2005, 10:25 PM
I think the point is however, that tennis is a popular sport in Spain regardless of Nadal, so the tennis fans there still would want to know about what the other players are doing too. The press could still manage to cover the other players, right? What else are they going to do.....follow Nadal to Mallorca and photograph him resting?

*julie*
06-09-2005, 10:28 PM
of course..this attitude by Spanish journalists declares paying no attention to tennis as much as the attention to the new spanish comer..its ignorance but i see it happens all the time in every spot of the world..i think the same happens in the U.S. when american players lose in a tourney..then they stop covering it on t.v....seen lots of ppl complaining about it..it happens here all the time ..but never thought it is an international behaviour :rolleyes: :shrug:

It's the same everywhere.
Btw Ferrero should not pay attention to medias and better focus on his tennis. Journalists will come back when he will have good results.

nermo
06-09-2005, 10:28 PM
I don't think the Argentine media ever focused solely on Gaudio, did they? I think there has always been interest in all of their guys. As for Federer....there are so few Swiss players and the others are not in the top 50, so I can't blame them for the amount of attention to Federer. Still I don't think they'd leave a tournament if any Swiss player were left in the draw. posted by PamV

here s my point..i am not defending the spanish journalist s behaviour..i am obviously and totally against it..as i said in the pre.post..but all what i wanna say..is ..in media ..the new winner rulesdont agree with it..but it s the way it goes with the media..and speaking of Federer..i wasnot specfically talking about Swiss press..i was talking about almost every place in the world.. u have to admit it the guy was and is still treated as a phenomena...( and i think he is ;) )

lau
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
:lol: Yeah, you`re right. But I think is understandable (sp.?) The press acts like that and I would think that JC was used to it.

hablovah19
06-09-2005, 10:30 PM
I can understand Marat. If after his match one question out of 2 was about Nadal, it must be rather irritating. I mean, if you invite Martin Scorcese and you only talk with him about the last star wars movie, he can ask himself why he came here to answer questions.

nermo
06-09-2005, 10:33 PM
Btw Ferrero should not pay attention to medias and better focus on his tennis. Journalists will come back when he will have good results. posted by Julie

Voice of reason

hablovah19
06-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Btw Ferrero should not pay attention to medias and better focus on his tennis. Journalists will come back when he will have good results.

it's kind of hard to avoid such issues when it's the "medias" themselves who ask him such questions :lol: ;)

bad gambler
06-09-2005, 10:44 PM
Well a 19 year old kid just won a grand slam on top of being the most dominant claycourter this year with 2 TMS' to boot.

Don't really see Ferrero's point :shrug:

RogiFan88
06-09-2005, 10:52 PM
He makes a perfectly good point. Media is stupid.

Ah yes, 'media is stupid' but everyone falls for it every time so it sells. :p

Geniey2g
06-09-2005, 11:05 PM

lmao!
Now that is disrespect, not to mention unfair for all the Spanish fans who wanted to see some tennis!

SanTaureau Fan
06-09-2005, 11:17 PM
Journalists cover what people care about. And people currently care about Nadal. So when Nadal loses, journalists leave.

This is about as easy as understanding 2 + 2 = 4.

connectolove
06-09-2005, 11:21 PM
Well..., he is DANM RIGHT!

rue
06-09-2005, 11:25 PM
I agree that it is a bit unfair for them to leave when Nadal left. There is some kind of bias there and would be concerned. Nadal won Roland Garros and has been the main center of attraction, but does not give the media the right to ignore the rest of the spanish players.

sigmagirl91
06-09-2005, 11:27 PM
I agree that it is a bit unfair for them to leave when Nadal left. There is some kind of bias there and would be concerned. Nadal won Roland Garros and has been the main center of attraction, but does not give the media the right to ignore the rest of the spanish players.

No, but Nadal is the center of attention for the moment-and deservedly so.

mangoes
06-09-2005, 11:29 PM

Well, I won't go so far as to say the American media stops covering a tournament because there aren't any more Americans in a tournament. What I have complained about, and that is in reference to ESPN, NOT the Tennis Channel, is if there are 2 matches being played simultaneously, the match involving the American will be shown. Even if the other match involving players of a different nationality was a better match, ESPN will only show the match involving the American. I have noticed ESPN has been trying to show a wider variety as of late, so let me be fair in acknowleding that fact. However, sometimes we complain because the American matches are the matches of choice always shown on television. But stopping coverage of a tournament because Agassi or Roddick has lost isn't done, or at least I haven't seen it done. That is terrible that coverage is stopped because Nadal lost.

mandoura
06-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Jealousy or not, JCF has a point and a good one.

SanTaureau Fan
06-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Journalists were in Halle to cover Nadal, Nadal lost, journalists left.

God.

Do people seriously think there are journalists covering spanish players in every ATP tournament? Don't worry, Spanish players results will still be in Spanish newspapers... But why the hell would they cover another player than Nadal at the moment? Did I miss a fifth Slam that Moya or Robredo won this year or?

PamV
06-09-2005, 11:36 PM
Journalists cover what people care about. And people currently care about Nadal. So when Nadal loses, journalists leave.

This is about as easy as understanding 2 + 2 = 4.

It's not like people can't care about Nadal and all the other players too, right? There are true tennis fans in Spain who actually follow the sport you know.

NicoFan
06-09-2005, 11:36 PM
It is terrible the coverage stopped, and JC is right.

But on the other hand, if Rafa brings more attention to tennis in Espana, people will start to watch and then maybe they'll also watch the other players - so many great players in the Spanish Armada that while they won't get as much attention as Rafa (by far), as a whole if Rafa does well, IMO they'll all reap the rewards so to speak.

I spent part of the summer in Spain last year, and I was really surprised that with the strength and success of the Spanish tennis program how very little coverage of tennis there was. Almost nada. So maybe this type of attention is better than zero.

And I like JC so really not criticizing him - but I think there is a little bit of jealousy here.

SanTaureau Fan
06-09-2005, 11:39 PM
It's not like people can't care about Nadal and all the other players too, right? There are true tennis fans in Spain who actually follow the sport you know.

I'm sure they can still follow the sport everyday as ATP results are in most newspapers.

Or do people expect a daily 20 pages about tennis in newspaper with a page about Ferrero, Moya, Robredo, ... :confused:

I don't remember a Canadian journalist ever covering a "normal" ATP event. :confused: Journalists won't go cover an ordinary ATP event unless there's something special... And the special thing at the moment is that Nadal just won the French Open.

smucav
06-09-2005, 11:40 PM
http://www.peterbodostennisworld.com/Sunday, June 5, 12:08 P.M. (6:08 A.M. EDT)

Neo-Nadal Care

The buzz around the player’s lounge and among Spanish reporters is that the biggest victim of Rafael Nadal’s starburst was not Roger Federer or Guillermo Coria, but Juan Carlos Ferrero. He was stung when Nadal was chosen over him to represent Spain in last year’s epic Davis Cup final against the U.S.

This year Ferrero has struggled with injury and poor form while Nadal’s performances have been off-the-leash spectacular. And Ferrero was steamed when Nadal waxed him in the first round of Valencia, a tournament in which Ferrero has a stake.

Ferrero (who was ranked No. 1 briefly in June of 2003) must be sitting around, marveling at how quickly things can change.

mandoura
06-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Yeah well, typical media, what do you expect!!!!!!! :rolleyes: JCF has a point.
I hope the kid won't get too influenced by the hype.

Yes Maria.

This type of behavior from the media will create an untintentional sort of resentment for Nadal, which otherwise might not be there, by other Spanish players.

Of course, Rafa deserves THE attention right now but it is the media's decision to leave the event that is a real ego-blower for other Spanish players.

SanTaureau Fan
06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Ignoring the ego, I would be very happy if the attention wouldn't be on me as a player.

DDrago2
06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
I think journalists are over-reacting with Nadal, which is good for tennis, but not for Nadal himself and also not for many other players who will be a bit on a bitter end.
It is very dangerous to over-hype a player. Look what happened to Roddick after he was over-hyped in 2003 - he slumped. Nadal is young and he will surely not try to protect him from the over-hype he gets, and that could realy cost him in future.

Ferrero was very controled in his statements, they were without any poison realy. I think he deserves respect for what he said, because he had right to be more angry. It is probabbly beacuse him and Nadal are friends.

mandoura
06-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Ignoring the ego, I would be very happy if the attention wouldn't be on me as a player.

:lol: Why is that?

No seriously, people differ. Some like the attention, some don't. Leaving because Nadal lost was not a good decision, imho. Will they do the same in Wimbledon?

SanTaureau Fan
06-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Who exactly left? How many of them? Why did they go to Halle in the first place? Is it a tournament they always cover every year?

mandoura
06-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Who exactly left? How many of them? Why did they go to Halle in the first place? Is it a tournament they always cover every year?

Do you think he is exagerating?

Clara Bow
06-10-2005, 12:03 AM
I think journalists are over-reacting with Nadal, which is good for tennis, but not for Nadal himself and also not for many other players who will be a bit on a bitter end.
It is very dangerous to over-hype a player. Look what happened to Roddick after he was over-hyped in 2003 - he slumped. Nadal is young and he will surely not try to protect him from the over-hype he gets, and that could realy cost him in future.

I agree that the extreme attention may not be good for Nadal. And it does remind me of the flurry of attention Roddick got in 2003.

But one thing that I think will help Nadal a lot is that he and his family all seem to have their feet firmly on the ground and one of his uncles (Miguel Angel) was a big sports figure, so I am sure that he understands about the ebbs and flows of the media's attitude towards a player.* I think that if Nadal starts to get affected by the hype (which I don't really see happening)- his family will surely reign him in. I have also been so impressed by Uncle Toni through all of this. He is usually very accurate in his assesment of Nadal's and Nadal's opponents play during the matches, is quick to say when Nadal has not been playing his best, seems very wary of hyperbole, and can be seen cheering opponents good points, etc.

* Note- I'm not trying to say that Roddick didn't have his feet on the ground, am just saying that with Nadal seeming to have a good head on his shoulders plus the fact that a family member has been a major sports figure will help with adjusting to the media attention.

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 12:05 AM
Do you think he is exagerating?

No, I just want answers to my questions.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 12:12 AM
No, I just want answers to my questions.

From whom? From me? I don't know, I just read the article and from what I've read I think JCF has a point.

As I posted earlier, I fear such attitude will make Spanish players resentful of Nadal thru no wrong-doing on his part. It will create needless jealousy that wouldn't have been there. It might distance him from his peers.

Of course, this is absolutely hypothetical.

JeLuliA88
06-10-2005, 12:12 AM
There wasn't any malice at all in Ferrero's comments so to say that he was jealous is totally an exaggeration. But the media really doesn't care about respect, they'll write about anything that's likely to sell.

Clara Bow
06-10-2005, 12:18 AM
As I posted earlier, I fear such attitude will make Spanish players resentful of Nadal thru no wrong-doing on his part. It will create needless jealousy that wouldn't have been there. It might distance him from his peers.

Exactly, couldn't agree more.

I would hate if there was a schism created when Nadal did nothing wrong himself. But on the other hand, I can't imagine Moya, Lopez or even Ferrer- who are all good friends with him getting too worked up. So I hope that this whole thing blows over and there is not distance created among the players by an outside force- the media. Cause I like all the Spanish players to varying degrees and want them all to get along. :)

mandoura
06-10-2005, 12:34 AM
Exactly, couldn't agree more.

I would hate if there was a schism created when Nadal did nothing wrong himself. But on the other hand, I can't imagine Moya, Lopez or even Ferrer- who are all good friends with him getting too worked up. So I hope that this whole thing blows over and there is not distance created among the players by an outside force- the media. Cause I like all the Spanish players to varying degrees and want them all to get along. :)

Me too CB, and I kind of feel bad for JCF. I think he is a bit hurt and I can understand him that's why I believe he has a valid point vis-ŕ-vis the media.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 01:00 AM
This reminds me of this girl, Danica Patrick. She ended in 4th place in the Indianapolis 500 on May 29 and instantly, a star is born. She's on David Letterman's show. She attracted the most search queries at msn and no celebrity was Googled more than her. :rolleyes:

At least Rafa won a whole bunch of things first :p

tennischick
06-10-2005, 01:00 AM
:worship: exactly.

all he's giving them to report is that he looks like a jealous crank. if he wants media attention that badly he can get better press by getting results.

you'd think that someone with his level of experience on the tour would understand how the media work. but he still doesn't get it. now his "jealousy" has become the latest story. no sympathy here -- he's brought this on himself.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Journalists were in Halle to cover Nadal, Nadal lost, journalists left.

God.

Do people seriously think there are journalists covering spanish players in every ATP tournament? Don't worry, Spanish players results will still be in Spanish newspapers... But why the hell would they cover another player than Nadal at the moment? Did I miss a fifth Slam that Moya or Robredo won this year or?

I believe that some people are still lacking an appreciation for just how huge a story Nadal is this year...

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Yeah I agree with JCF - it is pretty shocking. He has made a bit of a run for himself on the grass and they turn their backs. However, they will soon get bored with Rafa...everyone turns off eventially if a player wins wins wins.

There is a little jealousy creeping in though yeah :lol: It seems that he was non too chuffed when Rafa was deservedly awarded the Davis Cup singles position in December over him, demoting him to an appalling doubles defeat. Rafa and Moya have been taking his singles Davis Cup matches and Robredo is good enough to replace one of them...he is probably feeling a little down that he no longer has a high role to play in Spanish tennis at the moment.

The subliminal message to JCF is...win more matches mate! :yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 01:10 AM
There wasn't any malice at all in Ferrero's comments so to say that he was jealous is totally an exaggeration. But the media really doesn't care about respect, they'll write about anything that's likely to sell.
If this were a one-time thing it would be an exaggeration. Seeing as this is not the first time JCF has complained about the Nadal-attention to the press, there is both motive and action which indicates that jealously could definitely be a factor.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 01:25 AM
If this were a one-time thing it would be an exaggeration. Seeing as this is not the first time JCF has complained about the Nadal-attention to the press, there is both motive and action which indicates that jealously could definitely be a factor.

Did he really?

jmp
06-10-2005, 01:25 AM

Yes, Marat did say that. I don't think Marat or JCF want to take away from Nadal. They just feel that other Spanish players deserve some press as well.

El Legenda
06-10-2005, 01:26 AM
quit crying juan

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 01:27 AM
I mean, Nadal just won the French Open and journalists will go to Halle to cover Ferrer? Lolz.

Journalists don't go to some random "small" tournaments to cover players, unless there's a special reason. The issue has nothing to do with disrespect. If journalists would have left Wimbledon after Nadal lost, now it would have been disrespecting, but there's no reason to cover a Mickey Mouse tournament unless there's a special reason, and the special reason is that Nadal just won the French Open.

I feel like I'm saying the same thing over and over again but I fail to see people point about disrespect.

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 01:28 AM
They just feel that other Spanish players deserve some press as well.

Yeah, cuz like, we all know Moya never got an article written about him!

Clara Bow
06-10-2005, 01:28 AM
I believe that some people are still lacking an appreciation for just how huge a story Nadal is this year...

Very true. Has been doing so darn well since the Davis Cup- great 5-setter against Hewitt at the AU, reached the finals of all Master's tournies he played in (won two, lost other in 5 sets), is now the record holder for the longest win-streak by a teenager, became the youngest player to reach the top ten in more than a decade, and won RG on his first try.

I do think that that the Spanish media should not blow out of town when Nadal loses at a tourny. That's just not good imo. At least have a skeleton media crew there.

But on the other hand, it is understandable why the media are excited about Nadal. He has done some damn good things this year, and is an exciting presence on the tour who has really come onto his own in the past half year or so. He does deserve some time to shine. Now if just the media can let him shine without keeping all the other Spanish players in the dark.

Haute
06-10-2005, 01:29 AM
But this is a one-time thing. Everyone is misconstruing his comment about Nadal being the favoritec going into RG... how is that jealousy on JC's part? All he said was that Nadal was the favorite for RG, and that he (JC) isn't a favorite, but he'll maybe get back to being a favorite by getting more wins under his feet. I'm not seeing the jealousy part there, so stop grasping for statements that aren't there. And as for that Neo-Nadal Care article, that's typical press jumping to conclusions without having a concrete quote to back up their claims.

How is it that so many people here can criticize the press, but then also take press comments word for word when it's beneficial to their favorite player? :rolleyes:

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 01:31 AM
It is very true that the Spanish media should not blow out of town when Nadal loses at a tourny.

But who are people to say what journalists should cover? Is there a written law I'm unaware of that journalists have to cover every players Spanish player in every ATP tournament?

Amy Frazier doesn't get the same media exposure than Serena Williams... And I don't see anyone complaining.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 01:43 AM
But who are people to say what journalists should cover? Is there a written law I'm unaware of that journalists have to cover every players Spanish player in every ATP tournament?

Amy Frazier doesn't get the same media exposure than Serena Williams... And I don't see anyone complaining.

Wrong. People are the very reason why journalists have a job.

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 01:46 AM
Wrong. People are the very reason why journalists have a job.

Yes, and people currently want to read and hear about the French Open winner, not the ones that lost in the fourth round or before.

Haute
06-10-2005, 01:51 AM
BTW, just how many people here would be so quick to criticize if it had been Ferrer, Moya, Robredo, Lopez, Garcia-Lopez, or any of the other top Spanish players who had made the comment?

mandoura
06-10-2005, 01:55 AM
Yes, and people currently want to read and hear about the French Open winner, not the ones that lost in the fourth round or before.

So people are important and have a say in what journalists cover.

Did JCF ever mention that journalists should stop writing about Nadal?

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 01:59 AM

No... Do you have a point?

mandoura
06-10-2005, 01:59 AM
BTW, just how many people here would be so quick to criticize if it had been Ferrer, Moya, Robredo, Lopez, Garcia-Lopez, or any of the other top Spanish players who had made the comment?

Not many. But frankly speaking, I don't think any of them would have commented. Don't get me wrong, I am with JCF on this, precisely on the media leaving after Nadal's loss. In my personal opinion, I think he has a point there. Were he an Egyptian player, I would like to read about how he is doing and how he is recovering his game.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 02:03 AM
No... Do you have a point?

Yes and I thought it was clear. Anyway, never mind.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 02:13 AM
I love it how the press loves to blow everything out of proportion.

Argentine girl
06-10-2005, 02:49 AM
Comparing when JC won RG in 2003 and Rafa wins RG in 2005, who get more attention? I mean who get more attention from the Spanish journalists.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 03:05 AM
Did he really?

TC posted an older article where he say the same things... only before he didn't have the Spanish press leaving Halle to motivate his complaints, which is why I assume there is more motivation behind then.

I could be wrong, of course ;)

I still like him plenty, but he isn't coming across very well and I don't have any problem saying that.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 03:07 AM
But this is a one-time thing. Everyone is misconstruing his comment about Nadal being the favoritec going into RG...

Are they? Wow, I must have been a part of another conversation then, because I didn't notice this going on at all :eek:

Oh, and this isn't a one-time thing. As if that hasn't been pointed out enough.

tennischick
06-10-2005, 03:08 AM
From whom? From me? I don't know, I just read the article and from what I've read I think JCF has a point.

Of course, this is absolutely hypothetical.
then again it could just as easily backfire on JCF and Moya et al could turn against him too. after all Nadal is seen as Moya's protegee. i dunno how influential Moya is but i daresay he has more credibility than Juanqui whose constant griping could have the effect of making Nadal more popular and him less so IMO.

time will tell. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 03:09 AM
I sure would have, especially if they had a history of whining about this exact thing. Whether JCF has a point or not, it comes across as whiney, petulant and jealous.

I happen to be a fan of JCF, but I call 'em as I see 'em!

Where on earth is Devide? This topic has his name written all over it ;)

*Viva Chile*
06-10-2005, 03:23 AM
Totally agree with JCF

Tennis Fool
06-10-2005, 04:35 AM
"Nadal can lose also. He's human."
--JCF

Yes, only Federer is God and Sampras, a retired Android :p

oxy
06-10-2005, 05:14 AM
jealousy or not...well this could probably help to improve his game...hopefully!!!

playhard
06-10-2005, 05:24 AM
absolutely, press should re-think about their behaviors

YoursTruly
06-10-2005, 05:27 AM
"Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday."

That IS bad.

This definitely is the WHY behind Juan Carlos' statements. What he said and how he said it seems to be bad to be heard in human nature, but the Spanish journalists leaving after the defeat of Nadal is not impressive.

tennischick
06-10-2005, 05:31 AM
lesson 1 on how the media work: Follow the Story. Nadal is the story. if he's not in Halle, there is no story. accept it -- them's the rules of the game. no amount of griping by Juanqui or his fans will change that.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 05:31 AM
absolutely, press should re-think about their behaviors
As long as they are selling papers and magazines, which is their job.... they don't have anything to rethink.

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Thank God I don't live in Spain.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 05:32 AM
A pity that I don't ;)

tennischick
06-10-2005, 05:33 AM
why? you think it's any different anywhere else?

newsflash -- it's not.

iliketennis
06-10-2005, 05:37 AM
The media will never change. What will happen when JC wins RG next year?

Being in the QF's of a grasscourt tournament, Juanqui deserves some recognition. It's not really jealous, just frustrated by how stupid the media can be.

YoursTruly
06-10-2005, 05:37 AM
lesson 1 on how the media work: Follow the Story. Nadal is the story. if he's not in Halle, there is no story. accept it -- them's the rules of the game. no amount of griping by Juanqui or his fans will change that.

Yes, that's true, and a lot of us know how it works, don't judge us, but then again, the publications should send out the press to follow Nadal, but also the other Spaniards competing there as well. And it's not like Juan Carlos is a journeyman player anyways. Or better yet, to save money (which is what many do), get the same group to cover both stories within a frame of time.

claudine140
06-10-2005, 05:41 AM
I'm big on Rafa. But, JCF has a point. Spain has more than one professional tennis player and they deserve some coverage as well. The public needs to know the status of Carlos' injury and how well JCF is doing in his come back.

indeed that is correct
but that is media

i am a big fan from moya and in 1999 after his first place he had a blisterinjury and than in september his backinjury. So he lost many matches in first round. Result: no word from moya in press, only a small article about .... former world number one lost to..... and is injured.

Ferrero also forgot when he was the man in spain, he had no troubles at all with the media around him. The press was only focused on him and forgot moya, corretje etc.
now the same thing happens with nadal and the rest of the spanish players. The new coming man is big news !!!! that is what live is in sportworld.

tennischick
06-10-2005, 05:45 AM
...Ferrero also forgot when he was the man in spain, he had no troubles at all with the media around him. The press was only focused on him and forgot moya, corretje etc.
now the same thing happens with nadal and the rest of the spanish players. The new coming man is big news !!!! that is what live is in sportworld.
:worship:

:wavey:

:zzz:

Puschkin
06-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Very interesting to read that JC (who is not known as particularly talkative) speaks out on this. He must be quite annoyed to do so.

Ferrero Forever
06-10-2005, 07:03 AM
I think that Nadal deserves everything he gets because he is a fantastic player and has accomplished a lot in the past 6 months. But I agree with JC in saying that the press shouldn't just leave a tournament because Nadal loses. I know in Australia we hear about ALL the players in any tournament, we still hear about Guccione and Phillippoussis and even Luzcak or however you spell it. I would be extremely angry if I lived in Spain, since the spaniards are my favourite I would pissed off if it was just nadal, nadal, nadal, as much as I adore him.

Exodus
06-10-2005, 07:05 AM
JCF is just jealous coz nobody talks about him anymore so he have to say something to stay in the spotlight

nermo
06-10-2005, 08:25 AM
Well, the press ofcourse plays a big role in here..what it really matters...is that hopefully it wont have a negative effect on The young kid..cuz that could make him lose a real glorious future ..and it can make his spanish and all over the world fans lose a lot of amusement..

Rex
06-10-2005, 08:58 AM
i like nadal, but its really a shame, what the spanish media think.

trixy
06-10-2005, 09:00 AM
Boo freaking hoo at what Ferrero said. I mean it really isn't that much of a big deal. I think I would have been more annoyed if Ferrero didn't say anything. A healthy ego is a sign of competitiveness which is necessary to be the best in anything.

sanpo
06-10-2005, 09:00 AM
I think that Nadal deserves everything he gets because he is a fantastic player and has accomplished a lot in the past 6 months. But I agree with JC in saying that the press shouldn't just leave a tournament because Nadal loses. I know in Australia we hear about ALL the players in any tournament, we still hear about Guccione and Phillippoussis and even Luzcak or however you spell it. I would be extremely angry if I lived in Spain, since the spaniards are my favourite I would pissed off if it was just nadal, nadal, nadal, as much as I adore him.

I agree. :D

Nadal is the story right now. But the situation, as I see it, was that the spanish journalists already committed on covering Halle, just because they have "lost" the story doesn't mean they have to abandon the commitment altogether.

And they should be a bit more sensitive of other players too, since they are all playing for the country; just not getting as much results as Nadal has.

nermo
06-10-2005, 09:23 AM
Well, I won't go so far as to say the American media stops covering a tournament because there aren't any more Americans in a tournament. What I have complained about, and that is in reference to ESPN, NOT the Tennis Channel, is if there are 2 matches being played simultaneously, the match involving the American will be shown. Even if the other match involving players of a different nationality was a better match, ESPN will only show the match involving the American. I have noticed ESPN has been trying to show a wider variety as of late, so let me be fair in acknowleding that fact. However, sometimes we complain because the American matches are the matches of choice always shown on television. But stopping coverage of a tournament because Agassi or Roddick has lost isn't done, or at least I haven't seen it done. That is terrible that coverage is stopped because Nadal lost. posted by mangoes
well ,thanks for the explanation.. i must have expressed it in a confusing way ( it was a little bit late after a bad day) but my point was ..media doesnot always reflect ppl desires or fulfill their wishes...as you said espn shows better care for american matches even there are better players on the same tourney..its done sometimes here and there..its reapeated everywhere..that s not right but i think national media goes with the winner and goes for better sellings..so whether tournaments coverage stopped or spotted on less important matches..its the same .. and it reflects low knowledge for the concept of the game..

connectolove
06-10-2005, 10:40 AM
All I know is that I also wanted to see JCF playing and this sucks. I love Nadal but I love tennis too.

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 10:43 AM
Ferrero's problem is that he was passed over for the DC final, when he feels he should have played and cared about his own ego and not the teams, now that Nadal has improved so much that has pissed him off.

Well getting the career back on track and improving his own game are more important than press coverage.

gooner88
06-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Ferrero's problem is that he was passed over for the DC final, when he feels he should have played and cared about his own ego and not the teams, now that Nadal has improved so much that has pissed him off.

Well getting the career and improving his own game are more important than press coverage.

Totally agree with you there GWH

CooCooCachoo
06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
Case of sour grapes :p

sigmagirl91
06-10-2005, 11:06 AM
Case of sour grapes :p

Couldn't agree more.

Billy Moonshine
06-10-2005, 11:17 AM
I think the spanish people are bored of the others. They still love Moya cos of Davis cup, but after Ferrero's year last year I think they respected him but, well, there wasn't much to write last or this year. Same with Costa and Corretja. People love them but they are in their twilight years and so not capturing headlines.
Rafa is winning major tournies, is very young and has a potentially illustrious career ahead of him. No wonder the spanish media are excited! They are a very patriotic race and will fawn over any heroes.
Ferrero seems to have forgotten how media works. Start winning again and they'll love ya JC! Probably though his comments have been twisted but I felt like writing something anyway :)
BTW, i lived in spain til last month and read spanish papers, chatted with tennis fans, so I am qualified to say this before u start dissing my opinion!!!!!

Deivid23
06-10-2005, 11:41 AM
I really don´t have a clue why Ferrero´s complaining but of course I was expecting something like this. JCF is a selfish/arrogant guy who felt God when being nş1 in the world and after been sunk his ego is starting to get fit at the same rythm as his tenis does. Spanish press and TV Coverage in Halle were only a consecuence of Nadal´s big success this year. Spanish press don´t give a crap about minor tourneys and they never send journalist to these tourneys, they made an exception for this one just for being the first Nadal played after Roland Garros. After Nadal was kicked out, no reason to keep those people there. JCF, go n cry more, you´re giving me great laughs :yeah:

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I was wondering when Deivid would appear and does this remind you of what he is like when he was in the Madrid indoor when he was # 1.

Deivid23
06-10-2005, 11:48 AM
So people are important and have a say in what journalists cover.

Mandoura, it´s a long story. JCF has the biggest ego among Spanish players :shrug: . He already made stupid sarcasm during whole RG (before he was kicked out ;) ) about Nadal, Federer and others being from other planet and himself trying to win matches in order to play against them and trying his luck. He clearly was claiming more attention for him, as the one he had when being number 1.

SanTaureau Fan
06-10-2005, 11:49 AM

They just don't get it. :confused:

But wait according to the logic here, there should be spanish journalists covering all spanish players in all ATP tournaments. But, wait, how about the poor spanish players who play challengers, they should be covered too, how unfair! How about the spanish juniors! The spanish WTA players! The spanish wheelchair players! There should be 40 pages about tennis everyday in Spanish newspaper!

Deivid23
06-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Where on earth is Devide? This topic has his name written all over it ;)

Deivid also sleeps :)

Deivid23
06-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Haas breaks :yeah:

Deivid23
06-10-2005, 11:53 AM

Pretty good place to live in, honestly ;)

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 11:56 AM
Journalists are the same all over and this case is no different. Nadal is the star at the moment and that sells papers.

Deivid23
06-10-2005, 12:05 PM
I was wondering when Deivid would appear and does this remind you of what he is like when he was in the Madrid indoor when he was # 1.

Yeah, everything was ok when Ferrero came to Madrid on 2003, he was nş1, was treated like God, sellout crowds for his matches (even with a shameful help against Ferreira :rolleyes: ), media all over him but I can´t remember any comment from him about giving credit also to Moyá, Costa, Corretja etc...

After his bad year, he received a humbleness lesson by Arrese (thanks Jordi ;) ) in DC final so that was too much for him. The old king forgotten and all praises were for Moyá and Nadal. His face during Spain´s celebrations was similar to one that you can see on a funeral. Truly pathetic.

Now his confidence is growing as he´s playing quite well recently and his ego is just too big just to not make a stellar appearance from while to while.

Next time will be when he finally manages to win a tourney again. If he can do it soon, be sure he will come again with the same silly story.

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Yeah, everything was ok when Ferrero came to Madrid on 2003, he was nş1, was treated like God, sellout crowds for his matches (even with a shameful help against Ferreira :rolleyes: ), media all over him but I can´t remember any comment from him about giving credit also to Moyá, Costa, Corretja etc...

Yes, that Ferreira incident was really poor form and you mean he didn't give any thanks to Moya, Corretja and Costa who helped him when he first came on the tour.

After his bad year, he received a humility lesson by Arrese (thanks Jordi ;) ) in DC final so that was too much for him. The old king forgotten and all praises were for Moyá and Nadal. His face during Spain´s celebrations was similar to one that you can see on a funeral. Truly pathetic.

Funny how things change after DC 2000 he was feted as the hero as he won the last match against Hewitt, but Corretja and Costa didn't cry that they missed out on the glory.

Now his confidence is growing as he´s playing quite well recently and his ego is just too big just to not make a stellar appearance from while to while.

Next time will be when he finally manages to win a tourney again. If he can do it soon, be sure he will come again with the same silly story.

We'll see if he can get back on track in that regard.

Puschkin
06-10-2005, 12:17 PM
He already made stupid sarcasm during whole RG (before he was kicked out ;) ) about Nadal, Federer and others being from other planet and himself trying to win matches in order to play against them and trying his luck. He clearly was claiming more attention for him, as the one he had when being number 1.

That surprises me. :eek: I never had the feeling that he craved the media, felt comfortable in interviews and liked to be in the limelight, at least not when it involved speaking English ;)

It may of course be different with the Spanish-speaking world.

tennischick
06-10-2005, 01:11 PM
... A healthy ego is a sign of competitiveness which is necessary to be the best in anything.
in which case we can expect JCF to be back at #1 any day now :p

buddyholly
06-10-2005, 01:18 PM
I really don´t have a clue why Ferrero´s complaining but of course I was expecting something like this. JCF is a selfish/arrogant guy who felt God when being nş1 in the world and after been sunk his ego is starting to get fit at the same rythm as his tenis does. Spanish press and TV Coverage in Halle were only a consecuence of Nadal´s big success this year. Spanish press don´t give a crap about minor tourneys and they never send journalist to these tourneys, they made an exception for this one just for being the first Nadal played after Roland Garros. After Nadal was kicked out, no reason to keep those people there. JCF, go n cry more, you´re giving me great laughs :yeah:

This is exactly what I was going to say. I doubt if the average Spaniard knows what Halle is. But they probably were interested in what Nadal would do after RG. And after the first round Ferrero and Lopez were the only Spaniards left in the tournament. Ferrero beats Waske on grass in Germany? Not headline stuff in Spain.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 01:31 PM
Mandoura, it´s a long story. JCF has the biggest ego among Spanish players :shrug: . He already made stupid sarcasm during whole RG (before he was kicked out ;) ) about Nadal, Federer and others being from other planet and himself trying to win matches in order to play against them and trying his luck. He clearly was claiming more attention for him, as the one he had when being number 1.

OK Deivid, I get the picture. :)

Yet, I cannot help feeling for him. It is very hard when you are used to VIP treatment and it is not there anymore.

mandoura
06-10-2005, 01:34 PM
in which case we can expect JCF to be back at #1 any day now :p

:lol: TC. Is his ego really that big?

RogiFan88
06-10-2005, 01:55 PM
Imagine if Ferrero could read all these hata threads that have been proliferating since the DC04F. It would really feed his already enormous ego: “I’m still important enough to be hated [like Federer and Nadal are]”!

Someone should start a thread called "The I hate Juan Carlos Ferrero Club" and put all these topics there for all and sundry to discuss among themselves. Deivid, Chloe, any takers? ;)

Action Jackson
06-10-2005, 01:58 PM
Cause Ferrero acted like a spoilt brat cause he wasn't the hero in the Seville, does that make people into haters now?

Mara
06-10-2005, 02:31 PM
Well I don't know what he wants, a special programm because he has past two rounds in Halle?? He has what all the players have when they pass a round:a few seconds in the sport part of the tv news (I dont like it cause if the sports new lasts 10 minutes you have 9 for football and 1 for the rest, but it had been always like this). In my opinion is much worse that media completely ignore the female tennis, and this is happening since I was born, so much more time before Nadal plays.

nermo
06-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Well ..all i can say right now (after his match against Haas);

our tongues make our own trap..Ferrero..and deeds speak better than tongues..

Armada~121
06-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Well, I think everyone's opinion will be colored by what they feel about JC in the first place. His fans would say anything to defend his opinions and his haters to those who feel neutral would feel that this is more of a personal problem.

As we all should know by now, his quotes were probably taken out of context and it might be unfair to judge him from incomplete information. However, to me, there are two different things here. WHAT JC said and WHY he said it. His comments, to be fair, are pretty constructiveif you take it as his view on how the media should improve. If it was comment from respected figure who has already retired from the tour, thus still an insider but not involved in the ratrace, his comments would be likely taken as a voice of reason. Therefore, I think if you take JC's comment solely as it is, it was reasonable and rightly critical of how (badly) this world runs.

However, if you look at WHY JC said such thing (we have to keep in mind first that he was asked the question...so its not like he complained about this out of the blue), its not surprisingly that many would get the idea that his comments were rooted from jealousy. As Lau pointed out earlier, Marat said basically the same thing two months ago. But as Marat was an outsider and not directly involved, his comments seemed to be of annoyance. While for JCF, people immediately think back to his reaction to DC final last year. Although his comments can be constructive, the fact that he never complained anything about how the Spanish media works earlier is the clear case of double standard. Yes, only Nadal is getting the attention at the moment and it is bad because others are completely neglected. But it has always been like this and back then when JC was still the main star, he didnt seem eager to crusade the public awareness for other fellow Spaniard players. To me, THAT was why JC's comments can be viewed largely as a sting of jealousy...

After all, he is just a human. His motives are understandable, but hardly admirable.

hablovah19
06-10-2005, 03:19 PM
Wow. I can't believe how many people feel so strongly about JCF comments :lol: I for one am glad he spoke frankly. It's refreshing to not have to hear the politically correct stuff that most players dish out :shrug:

And Nadal will be hot (tennis wise only ; :angel: ) only for so long.... Spanish media will move on quickly unto the next phenom.... It only takes them a year or two it seems :wavey: :rolleyes:

nmaterwe
06-10-2005, 05:44 PM
OK, read sth Juanqui said 3 months ago,I think we will get more coherent and integrated on his quotes:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=31804

some quotes in that interview:

Lots of things have been said about you: that you weren't training...
I've accepted everything that's been said about me, but I'm still the same. When you go through a slump, it always happens. The same thing happens to football players. Ronaldo was a disaster and wasn't running, but he got a great goal and he's the best again.

Let's talk about the Davis Cup. Are you hurt but any of the things that happened in Seville last December?
It was a unique situation. First, I was going to play, and that's what the captains told me, but as a result of having a problem with my hand, they became hesitant and chose Rafa. I was very excited about playing, I'm disciplined and a very good friend of Rafa's, but they didn't explain it well.

You're referring to the fact that in Seville, the 3 captains didn't "distribute" the win well?
There were things I didn't like. They chose Rafa because he had done better; but if it hadn't been for that hand problem, I would have played. They should have said the truth and make the issue clear.

On the way back to Madrid from Seville, the 3 captains left you and Robredo out and were only concerned with Moyŕ and Nadal?
They were the main stars in the final but it's obvious that Tommy and I weren't the main stars. In 2000 it was the opposite.

I think Juanqui knows what the typical medias always do.He knows how things go on in this world but it doesn't means he should think these actions are good.

And we can see some quotes he made in 2001 also:

Q: Bad Points?

FERRERO: It's difficult to say. I don't like so much to be famous, because I don’t like when I walk in the street and everybody knows me. After the Davis Cup it was completely crazy, when I walk in the street, or when I go to some restaurants, everyone says something about me, it's difficult to understand, because five months ago, nobody knew who I was and now everybody wants to say hello.

Q: You don't like that because you’re private?

FERRERO: Maybe, but I think in the future I have to get used to it.

Please forgive my poor english,but I think I have to say sth.

sprinterluck
06-10-2005, 06:32 PM
Wow. I can't believe how many people feel so strongly about JCF comments :lol: I for one am glad he spoke frankly. It's refreshing to not have to hear the politically correct stuff that most players dish out :shrug:

I didn't think I'd get so many responses to the original article. We're at 11 pages already. :eek: JCF needs to use his frustration with the media as extra motivation to train and do well on the court. It's not surprising that he feels neglected. The Davis Cup captains shafted him in favor of the young one and now the Spanish media completely forgot about him.

Rafa's success should do wonders for the popularity of tennis in Spain and maybe more kids will play tennis and enroll in JCF's academy. In a way, Rafa's success helps everyone. It takes pressure away from the other Spaniards. It's funny that JCF has said that he doesn't like the spotlight, doesn't like being famous. Well now's his opportunity to be somewhat anonymous and quietly work his way back.

Qaatar
06-10-2005, 07:42 PM
I didn't think I'd get so many responses to the original article. We're at 11 pages already. :eek: JCF needs to use his frustration with the media as extra motivation to train and do well on the court. It's not surprising that he feels neglected. The Davis Cup captains shafted him in favor of the young one and now the Spanish media completely forgot about him.

Rafa's success should do wonders for the popularity of tennis in Spain and maybe more kids will play tennis and enroll in JCF's academy. In a way, Rafa's success helps everyone. It takes pressure away from the other Spaniards. It's funny that JCF has said that he doesn't like the spotlight, doesn't like being famous. Well now's his opportunity to be somewhat anonymous and quietly work his way back.

What a hypocrite :rolleyes: ...if he doesn't like the spotlight, then why the hell did he open his mouth on this issue? I'm not labelling Ferrero as an attention-whore yet, because I don't see Nadal totally dominating again until the next clay season, so Ferrero should be able to shut his mouth...and losing to Haas doesn't help his case. Haas hasn't exactly been in his best form since 2002.

nmaterwe
06-10-2005, 07:47 PM
...if he doesn't like the spotlight, then why the hell did he open his mouth on this issue? QUOTE]

[quote]Ferrero was asked to comment on the decision by Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday.

Qaatar
06-10-2005, 08:08 PM
Yeah...he was asked to comment on Nadal's early exit...so? If he thought that such a question underlined the media's frenzy with Nadal, then he's just being a little conceited. Sure, the spanish media does slaver over Nadal 24/7 nowadays, but Ferrero, if he wasn't so sensitive on this subject, wouldn't have given such an outburst.

nmaterwe
06-10-2005, 08:12 PM
Yeah...he was asked to comment on Nadal's early exit...so? If he thought that such a question underlined the media's frenzy with Nadal, then he's just being a little conceited. Sure, the spanish media does slaver over Nadal 24/7 nowadays, but Ferrero, if he wasn't so sensitive on this subject, wouldn't have given such an outburst.

The same passage...

mer
06-10-2005, 08:24 PM
JCF should have answered "Yes, sure, they did the right thing. Rafa is out and others including me don't worth attention here"

He would have sounded so nice and humble and not jealous and everybody is happy :rolleyes:

Qaatar
06-10-2005, 08:29 PM
The same passage...

What's your point? Yes, perhaps the spanish reporters showed disrespect in leaving after Nadal loses, but THAT shouldn't elicit a response from Ferrero that borders on a whine. This is just my opinion anyways.

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 08:38 PM
Deivid also sleeps :)

Unacceptable!

nmaterwe
06-10-2005, 08:39 PM
What's your point? Yes, perhaps the spanish reporters showed disrespect in leaving after Nadal loses, but THAT shouldn't elicit a response from Ferrero that borders on a whine. This is just my opinion anyways.

Ferrero's response is from the question what he was asked to comment on the the decision by Spanish journalists.Not he forwardly complained about it.

And you think he shoud have answered:

"Yes, sure, they did the right thing. Rafa is out and others including me don't worth attention here"
?

Chloe le Bopper
06-10-2005, 08:41 PM
Imagine if Ferrero could read all these hata threads that have been proliferating since the DC04F. It would really feed his already enormous ego: “I’m still important enough to be hated [like Federer and Nadal are]”!

Someone should start a thread called "The I hate Juan Carlos Ferrero Club" and put all these topics there for all and sundry to discuss among themselves. Deivid, Chloe, any takers? ;)
Do I hate JCF now? :confused:

Adman
06-10-2005, 08:59 PM
From what I have heard I think that Nadal has just won the French Open, so I think he should have a little more media coverage the Ferero, who is i acting like an idiot!!

Shame I can't talk with a good bit of sarcasm.

Jogg
06-10-2005, 11:07 PM
:smash: oh dear JC has developed a bad case of marat's speak first and think later disease :p

jc should be pleased if the media aren't talking about him, he has less pressure and can just get on with it :shrug:

Margy
06-10-2005, 11:09 PM

You would hope that the other Spanish players would realize that it isn't Nadal's fault that the media have made him their new darling. However, even the most understanding of them will inevitably reach their own breaking point when the reporters make every tourney and every match all about Rafa. For JCF, it was the reporters leaving Halle. Even Moya, Rafa's best friend and mentor, appeared to be a bit upset when his post match interview following his 3rd round RG victory over Vincente opened with a couple of questions about Nadal. Being the gentleman that he is, he answered; but as briefly as could be considered polite.

Day 5 - Carlos Moya Interview
Friday, May 27, 2005

Q. Congratulations on your win today. Have you been paying attention to what your friend Nadal is doing, and can you tell us a little bit about your relationship with him.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I didn't pay too much attention to the match. I been watching few points, but I was concentrated on myself, which is enough right now.

I am very good friend of him. We know each other for very long time.

Q. You've been kind of a mentor to him. He's practiced with you. Can you tell us what his personality is like.

CARLOS MOYA: Yeah, he's like a kid. He's 18 years old. You don't feel that on court, but of course, he shows that. So that's all what I can say about him.

And, if you watched the video, you could see that Moya was quite annoyed at the direction the interview was going. But Moya exhibited a degree of self control. I saw that and laughed thinking how someone like Marat would have responded if put in the same situation. Self control - hmmmm?

So all I can say is "Poor Rafa!" I fear it is inevitable that he will, through no fault of his and to the consternation of his fans, become a victim of his own success as far as his relationship with his Spanish peers goes.

lau
06-11-2005, 11:02 AM
:smash: oh dear JC has developed a bad case of marat's speak first and think later disease :p

Like I said, Marat said what he said in Barcelona. Rafa had his first MS title then, but only one and he was not the RG champion. I`m not saying that Marat was right, I`m just saying that the situation was different then ;) And like someone said previously, it should be really annoying if you`re a russian player in a tournament in Barcelona and you`re asked all the time about Rafa :rolleyes: .
JC was in a different situation when he said what he said ;) Rafa had just won RG and is the BIG NEWS in pro tennis (and meanwhile he won another MS title). Plus, 2004 DC final....... :rolleyes:

But, yes, you`re right. In my opinion Marat sometimes speaks first and thinks later (or the sponsors and the ATP make him think later :confused: ??? ;) )

mer
06-11-2005, 11:12 AM
JC was in a different situation when he said what he said ;)

JC had all the rights to say what he said in that situation. Any player deserves to be respected and supported by his national press regardless rank and current success. And actually what happened in Halle only proved Marat's point. He knew what he was talking about when accused spanish press of neglecting other spanish players.

lau
06-11-2005, 11:17 AM
JC had all the rights to say what he said in that situation. Any player deserves to be respected and supported by his national press regardless rank and current success. And actually what happened in Halle only proved Marat's point. He knew what he was talking about when accused spanish press of neglecting other spanish players.

Like I said previously (too many posts ago). Yes, the press didn`t act well. But the press is the press and they need to sell and they don´t have space for all. ;) You really can´t complain about it when you have been a pro player for such a long time!!! and have been in the spotlight too!!. Rafa is the big news, (JC was the big news some time ago) and the rest of the players should deal with that ;) He may be right, I don´t know, but the press covers the events that sells enough, sadly or not (in my opinion, sadly ;) ) And JC is not the big news right now..... :rolleyes: . Like many said previously, he should stop worring about Rafa and the press (although I admit it might be really hard) and focus in his tennis.
Anyway, this thread is becoming too long, :lol: , and anyone is perfect (not even Marat, JC, Moya, Rafa, etc). ;) We all have bad days, but mine don`t include dealing with the press :lol:

mer
06-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Like many said previously, he should stop worring about Rafa and the press (although I admit it might be really hard) and focus in his tennis.

OMG, he was directly asked to comment on the decision by Spanish journalists covering the Halle Open in Germany to leave the event after newly-crowned French Open champion Nadal was knocked out in the first round on Wednesday and he gave direct answer that this decision was not good from his point of view. What's wrong with it?
And even if he is somewhat jealous, he's human, we are all human. Stop bashing him really.

lau
06-11-2005, 11:30 AM
Deserves to be respected=yes
Deserves to be supported by his national press regardless rank and current success= Sorry, but not in my opinion. That might be the ideal situation (and I would really like that!!!)... But that`s the reason why sponsors and the national federations (and others institutions) exist ;) , not the press. It`s not their bussines, it`s not what they do.

(sorry, mer, I edit a lot my posts :awww: before reading the following posts)
OMG, he was directly and he gave direct answer that this decision was not good from his point of vew. What's wrong with it?
And even if he is somewhat jealous, he's human, we are all human. Stop bashing him really.

and anyone is perfect (not even Marat, JC, Moya, Rafa, etc). ;) We all have bad days, but mine don`t include dealing with the press :lol:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-11-2005, 11:40 AM
if i were the spanish media, i would leave right after Nadal lost too

hablovah19
06-11-2005, 12:47 PM
You would hope that the other Spanish players would realize that it isn't Nadal's fault that the media have made him their new darling. However, even the most understanding of them will inevitably reach their own breaking point when the reporters make every tourney and every match all about Rafa. For JCF, it was the reporters leaving Halle. Even Moya, Rafa's best friend and mentor, appeared to be a bit upset when his post match interview following his 3rd round RG victory over Vincente opened with a couple of questions about Nadal. Being the gentleman that he is, he answered; but as briefly as could be considered polite.

Day 5 - Carlos Moya Interview
Friday, May 27, 2005

Q. Congratulations on your win today. Have you been paying attention to what your friend Nadal is doing, and can you tell us a little bit about your relationship with him.

CARLOS MOYA: Well, I didn't pay too much attention to the match. I been watching few points, but I was concentrated on myself, which is enough right now.

I am very good friend of him. We know each other for very long time.

Q. You've been kind of a mentor to him. He's practiced with you. Can you tell us what his personality is like.

CARLOS MOYA: Yeah, he's like a kid. He's 18 years old. You don't feel that on court, but of course, he shows that. So that's all what I can say about him.

And, if you watched the video, you could see that Moya was quite annoyed at the direction the interview was going. But Moya exhibited a degree of self control. I saw that and laughed thinking how someone like Marat would have responded if put in the same situation. Self control - hmmmm?

So all I can say is "Poor Rafa!" I fear it is inevitable that he will, through no fault of his and to the consternation of his fans, become a victim of his own success as far as his relationship with his Spanish peers goes.

interesting responses from Moya!! His responses were curt and polite... It's funny that the first few questions were about Nadal right away :lol: damn journalists :smash: I don't think Marat would have responded the same way :haha: :angel: :devil:

onewoman74
06-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Don't blame the players...blame the media. All the top Spanish players should be celebrated, it's not fair to focus on one player.

sigmagirl91
06-11-2005, 01:43 PM
Maybe not, onewoman, but the truth of the matter is that the media will focus its efforts on who's winning-and right now, it's Nadal. Like it or not, that's how it's always been. If the other players want to be acknowledged, then they need to turn in similar results on the courts, too. This should be incentive enough for JCF to get back out there and win tournaments again.

EternalFlame
06-11-2005, 02:02 PM
OMG, he was directly and he gave direct answer that this decision was not good from his point of vew. What's wrong with it?

I agree.
JCF'S response to the question was perfectly normal and understandable. He said something anybody would say at that situation.
And I would also get irritated if my national press was ignoring me.
So please don't make it a big deal....