KarstenBraasch#1
06-09-2005, 04:57 PM
He's good.

Auscon
06-09-2005, 05:00 PM
Groundhog Day owns!

slipmaskin
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
ToJo's not playing any good, for what it's worth. But we Swedes are accustomed to that... can't say I'm too fond of Murray's "nature", either way.

slipmaskin
06-09-2005, 05:02 PM
Groundhog Day owns!
This is an awesome post. Congraturation, this story is happy end.

janks
06-09-2005, 05:03 PM
murrays nothing special, really... and its NOT such a success to be 300th+ at his age and be cinsidered a 'talent'..look at some others of that age that are around top 100... he just got lucky a bit.. btw Johan is playing like crap...

Auscon
06-09-2005, 05:04 PM
This is an awesome post. Congraturation, this story is happy end.

Shredder?! :eek: :)

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 05:07 PM
murrays nothing special, really... and its NOT such a success to be 300th+ at his age and be cinsidered a 'talent'..look at some others of that age that are around top 100... he just got lucky a bit.. btw Johan is playing like crap...

WTF??? Being top 350 at 18 when he missed much of October 2004-April 2005 injured and unable to make the most of 0 points to defend is not a success? He will be top 330 at least...a win today worth top 260 incredibly. :eek:

slipmaskin
06-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Shredder?! :eek: :)
Oh yes indeed. Shredder fucking rules.

http://img298.echo.cx/img298/2523/pdvd2716er.th.jpg (http://img298.echo.cx/my.php?image=pdvd2716er.jpg)

So awesome.

Fun fact: Groundhog Day is called "Måndag hela veckan" in Swedish. Don't you just feel the enlightenment in the air?

janks
06-09-2005, 05:11 PM
WTF??? Being top 350 at 18 when he missed much of October 2004-April 2005 injured and unable to make the most of 0 points to defend is not a success? He will be top 330 at least...a win today worth top 260 incredibly. :eek:

no, its not....hes 18...not 16! just look at some guys like djokovic for ex...whos the same age and is 130th, with no "help" from the LTA and alike...

Auscon
06-09-2005, 05:16 PM
Fun fact: Groundhog Day is called "Måndag hela veckan" in Swedish. Don't you just feel the enlightenment in the air?

I'll be sure to suggest "Måndag hela veckan" next time I'm at the video store

"You dont know what it is? Dont you speak Swedish? No? Then what the hell are you doing working in a video store!?"

JustmeUK
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
ToJo is just being sucked into Andy's game. He should be bossing Murray really but inexplicably he's making UE's and just giving points to Murray. It's almost like he doesn't want to win this one.

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 05:17 PM
no, its not....hes 18...not 16! just look at some guys like djokovic for ex...whos the same age and is 130th, with no "help" from the LTA and alike...

I said he was 18 :confused: Not everyone is top 100 at 18 though! Top 350 is good. Besides, he has another 11 months before he is 19!! If he can somehow scrap out a win, he will be top 260 and should finish the year top 200. Is that good enough??

tennischick
06-09-2005, 05:19 PM
...and its NOT such a success to be 300th+ at his age and be cinsidered a 'talent'....
i know some bottomfeeders who would kill to be ranked 300...

tennis4eva
06-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Does anyone think Andy will be as successful as Henman?
I always feel badly for British players because they have so much pressure to do well at Wimby that sometimes their other accomplishments are overloooked....Henman for example, has been one of the top players for years, he makes a good living, and he's still one of the top guys out there. I think it will be tough for any guy, no matter how talented he is, to equal the results and consistency of Tim Henman.

Auscon
06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
i know some bottomfeeders who would kill to be ranked 300...

i'd commit genocide just to be ranked at all

KarstenBraasch#1
06-09-2005, 05:23 PM
With "good" I meant: good enough to be the best Brit in the next few years.
Which shouldn't be too tough once Tim and Greg retire.

vaiva
06-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Is that good enough??

Probably, it is. For desperate Brits.

Simon and Chris were making fools of themselves on Eurosport. Didn't watch much, grass makes me :zzz: I don't see anything special about Murray but I liked his slice BH.

slipmaskin
06-09-2005, 05:29 PM
Probably, it is. For desperate Brits.

Simon and Chris were making fools of themselves on Eurosport. Didn't watch much, grass makes me :zzz: I don't see anything special about Murray but I liked his slice BH.

Most of the British Eurosport-commentators I've heard have either been retarded or arrogant/condescending - there's no middleground.

JustmeUK
06-09-2005, 05:40 PM
Does anyone think Andy will be as successful as Henman?
I always feel badly for British players because they have so much pressure to do well at Wimby that sometimes their other accomplishments are overloooked....Henman for example, has been one of the top players for years, he makes a good living, and he's still one of the top guys out there. I think it will be tough for any guy, no matter how talented he is, to equal the results and consistency of Tim Henman.

hard to say if he will be as successful. for me the difference between Murray and the other brits is he has some weapons but most of all he looks like he could stay in a rally with you all day. with the other brits who have been touted more often than not u think the only way they can win is pushing right to the limit and hope they make every shot they go for. aside from that, he honestly believes he belongs at the top and has that bit of arrogance to go along with it. I do think he will get into the top 100 and sooner than Henman will perhaps but whether he can go on to match Tim's achievements.. only time will tell.

*Ljubica*
06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
Murray is a better player than a lot of the other so-called British hopes - mainly because he has trained in Spain and has more of a complete game - not just one suited to grass. I think he could easily live comfortably in the Top 50. But have to say - I already loathe his arrogance and his "in your face" attitude - just not my kind of character at all.

Geniey2g
06-09-2005, 05:50 PM
AMAZING sportsmanship on T.Jo's part. Gone up a good few notches in my book...

JustmeUK
06-09-2005, 05:52 PM
ToJo has always been a great sport no matter how hard the game.

Rosie.. I'll settle for a british success to follow Tim/Greg into the top 50. Arrogant or not.. more than enough time to dislike him later when he's successful.

roisin
06-09-2005, 06:30 PM
i thought he played pretty well today. hit some fantastic shots :clap2: :yeah: nice serve as well :)

allanah
06-09-2005, 06:39 PM
I only saw the last 6 games or so. Usually I like to back the British players (as long as they aren't playing roddick) but I agree with Rosie, his demeanour turned me right off. I think whether it's "come on!" or "Vamos!" - any sort of screeching and fistpumping at non-break points is OTT and should be toned down. If you do it after pretty much every point you win it gets a little...:rolleyes:

I also think he should've handled the cramping better. Sure he was hurt and I respect the fact that he played the match out and didn't retire but that melodramatic dying-swan swoon he did on the baseline just made him look like a big girl.

Hope he is ok to play Wimbledon tho because he looks like he has a bit about him.

janks
06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
the only thing that could keep (or should I saw propel) him into the top 50 (highly doubt it btw) is ever boring british hype... and all the WC's he can collect... its a shame seeing some other players that dont have those "breaks" having to make the MD's playing 3 or more matches and then have no gas for the actual MD... same old story all over... same goes for some pathetic french players that got into the top 100 thanks to all those free rides...

NATAS81
06-09-2005, 07:06 PM
Murray prolly woulda won if not for the injury.

Great sportsmanship Tojo, to be expected from a Swede

Murray was around 87% 1st serve pts won

Swider
06-09-2005, 07:07 PM
He impressed me today.

Of course it's mainly ToJo's fault this match lasted so long (it could've been 1/2 shorter), but I always liked players who manage to stay in game when they're out of gas (and that lasted for the whole 3rd set - till 4-5 15-30).

I feel a little bad for him - he deserved to win that.

Sandra
06-09-2005, 07:11 PM
I saw him the first time today.i liked him!

gooner88
06-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Murray's definitely got the game to be a Top 100 or even a Top 50 player.
Johansson really should've won the match in straight sets today, but fair play to Murray for making the match last that long.
He has to work on his fitness and drive through that backhand a bit more; that sliced backhand is a good shot but it doesn't do enough damage.

robinhood
06-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Congratulations on a very good showing at London!
But he looked pretty agonizing today cramping badly.

robinhood
06-09-2005, 08:19 PM
One funny thing is that he looks same when he's happy.

gooner88
06-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I felt soooooo sorry for him when he cramped.
It was 5-5 & 0-30 in the final set and he just collapsed onto the court in the middle of the point.

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-09-2005, 08:32 PM
I didn't see anything special about his game to be honest, but he was patient and with a good tactical sense.

Good luck to him in the future.

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-09-2005, 08:53 PM
I saw him the first time today.i liked him!

ditto

musefanatic
06-09-2005, 08:58 PM
I think he has a good future in the game. Some of his shots were brilliant and I think he may have won if he hadn't have cramped :sad: Plus I think he is very good looking! ;)

Johansson really went up in my estimations. Holding Murrays leg was so sweet!!

wipeout
06-09-2005, 09:55 PM
I also think he should've handled the cramping better. Sure he was hurt and I respect the fact that he played the match out and didn't retire but that melodramatic dying-swan swoon he did on the baseline just made him look like a big girl.

"Dying swan" was exactly it. :lol:

joeb_uk
06-10-2005, 01:18 AM
Good compared to other 18 year olds (not that good) but good considering he is scottish (definately).

I didnt see the match because i was on court 1 at the time (but i wondered what kept happening because the crowd would suddenly go quiet for a couple of minutes and stand on their seats, it happened twice). It wasnt until i got home and my dad said he watched the match and said he was supposedly cramping, but really over reacting about it, christ its cramp you havent been shot in the leg.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:21 AM
"Dying swan" was exactly it. :lol:

:haha: it was quite dramatic but i must say i felt for him at that point. It was such a shame. If he were fit enough to last the distance I think his shotmaking at that point was better than Tojo's and he might have won. But really from 3/3 in the 3rd there was only 1 winner and he just had to keep making Murray run.

jrm
06-10-2005, 01:22 AM
You can tell he was copying Roddick - so many similarities (not in game)

joeb_uk
06-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Its funny how all the english people are all getting so excited and like hes our next great hope! i mean he isnt even english lmao (shows how desperate they are here).

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:35 AM
Its funny how all the english people are all getting so excited and like hes our next great hope! i mean he isnt even english lmao (shows how desperate they are here).

I think we have a right to be excited though. I saw him play a satellite match 2 years ago and he was good then. Today he played very well. He didn't serve that well but when his first serve was in, he got a lot of free points. He matched Tojo shot for shot in rallies and won a lot of them with some great shots. I would have liked to have seen him come in more but he might do that in a few years. He looked like a complete player to me. He just needs to improve his fitness above all. He could live in the top 100 on ability right now.

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 01:38 AM
a real shame he couldnt close it at 5-4 30-0 .... but Tojo showed why's he's been a slam champion..
woulda loved Henman v Murray,
good luck in the future to the Dunblane lad :yeah:

janks
06-10-2005, 01:43 AM
He looked like a complete player to me. He just needs to improve his fitness above all. He could live in the top 100 on ability right now.

LOL...really?! so why isnt he? some at his age are winning slams... others are top 150 thanks to their own efforts.. if he's such a talent why is he 300+... geee people do you always live in that fake hype over there?

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:46 AM
LOL...really?! so why isnt he? some at his age are winning slams... others are top 150 thanks to their own efforts.. if he's such a talent why is he 300+... geee people do you always live in that fake hype over there?

He had surgery on a "divided" knee cap which took him out of the game for 8 months at the end of 2003 - mid 2004. He took the tour by storm on his return and then picked up a nagging back injury which seriously hampered his progress in the first 4 months of this year. In effect, he has played 8 months of tennis in the last 20, and he has a ranking of top 350 which is bloody good considering that he couldn't train at all after his knee surgery and during recuperation.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:49 AM

Also, rankings don't tell all the story. Some are top 150 because they have won satellite after satellite but they are starting to lose evey match at challenger level because they aren't good enough...they are overinflated.

Murray has won a hell of a lot of matches at futures level and 4 of 6 tournies or something, and he has tried (too early I think) to qualify for challengers and main tour events without success to try to rise much faster up the rankings. He ha thus lost time in doing that when he could have been undoubtedly winning enough points by now to be in the top 270.

If he remains injury free this season, he should make top 200 in his current form by the year-end.

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 01:51 AM
LOL...really?! so why isnt he? some at his age are winning slams... others are top 150 thanks to their own efforts.. if he's such a talent why is he 300+... geee people do you always live in that fake hype over there?he had a knee injury... then he concentrated on the Jun slams (winning the US Open and reaching the semis in Roland Garros last week)
but there has been some over the top hype already since he beat Dent.. typical Sue barker and the BBC people, they never change.. flashing all the newspaper backpages as soon as the tennis came on tv, but anyhow .. he's a scotsman, he wont fade away like the usual straight out of private school snobby English duds who believed theyre own hype ;)
Childs, Bogdanovic, Martin lee :o

janks
06-10-2005, 01:53 AM
nobody is ranked 130 by winning satellites...
as for murray... I cant see him progressing, especially with that injury prone body at his age and level...

oh well...bogdanovic is as english as I am..LOL...

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:58 AM
nobody is ranked 130 by winning satellites...
as for murray... I cant see him progressing, especially with that inury prone body at his age and level...

I never said 130...top 200 players. Many have satellite wins in their points, and futures wins too. That is fine, but when 12 months of challenger tournament R1 points go on to their ranking, they don't look to hot after that. Mnay have overinflated rankings and that is why they are good one year and disappear the next.

You obviously don't know a lot about Murray so you should inform yourself of him. Watch some of his matches this week. He has awesome groundies and a good first serve when it is in. He has played very well in practice too. He played like a top 100 player today, and he could live in the top 100 playing like that. Tojo and many others...Coria, Moya etc said he could be top 50. If he doesn't get many injuries I see him top 200 this year and maybe top 50 / 100 next year.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:59 AM
Well..we could see that Bogo had his limits years ago. Combine that with a lack of commitment and 70% effort is fine, makes him no better than top 300. Agreed on that one.

Corey Feldman
06-10-2005, 02:01 AM
Well..we could see that Bogo had his limits years ago. Combine that with a lack of commitment and 70% effort is fine, makes him no better than top 300. Agreed on that one.
he was disgraceful in that Davis cup v Israel, i was wishing it was a football match so they could have subbed him during his match!

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 02:08 AM
he was disgraceful in that Davis cup v Israel, i was wishing it was a football match so they could have subbed him during his match!

Luckily I didn't get to see it as i was on a train going back home from uni but i was told he threw in the towel after the first set (which he should havewon). He gives in too easily...and just isn't that good :shrug: That was a match he should have certainly challenged...if not won.

Andy would have killed Okun today.

Scotso
06-10-2005, 03:30 AM
He's going to be good, I think. He's at least destined to be a top 20 player, imo... which is good for a Brit :p

musefanatic
06-10-2005, 05:13 PM
He's going to be good, I think. He's at least destined to be a top 20 player, imo... which is good for a Brit :p

Yep, I think so too, well, I really really hope so. It would be brilliant if he could. Us Brits have to have someone to pin our hopes on as there isn't that many people for that! :)