wimbledon and the baseliner's curse [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

wimbledon and the baseliner's curse

megadeth
06-08-2005, 10:34 PM
baseliners only win once in ten years or so:

connors: early 80's
agassi: '92
hewitt: 2002

so it doesn't bode well for the baseliners at all (calling hewitt, roddick, nadal, etc)

maybe in 2012, nadal can win it at 26yrs

deliveryman
06-08-2005, 10:37 PM
or maybe nadal can continue to be a one surface wonder, then have good results at 1 hardcore event each year in miami, because it's practically clay.

Fee
06-08-2005, 10:38 PM
Andy's a baseliner? I thought he was a 'come into the net at the wrong time-er'?

megadeth
06-08-2005, 10:41 PM
haha very funny fee! :p

man, if i had a serve like andy's i'd be a serve and volleyer even if it's more fun to stay at the baseline... he can win more by doing that

Seleshfan
06-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Andy's a baseliner? I thought he was a 'come into the net at the wrong time-er'?

:haha:

Fee
06-08-2005, 10:51 PM
thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week, please remember to tip your waitress.

Seleshfan
06-08-2005, 10:52 PM
thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week, please remember to tip your waitress.

:haha: You're on a roll...

bad gambler
06-09-2005, 12:01 AM

:haha:

and a fine art at that :p

mandoura
06-09-2005, 12:14 AM
Enough Fee please. I am drowning in my tears. :lol:

NYCtennisfan
06-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Good one Fee:) I am not sure one can consider AR a baseliner like we considered the baseliners of old since the game has truly changed with the new technology. A baseliner not only played the majority of the points from the back of the court but was usually not the aggressor. Lendl kind of changed all that and baseline play became more aggressive. Now you have the great majority of th players, even the players with a huge serve, playing from the baseline. I think most of the winners in the future will be baseliners.

Paialii
06-09-2005, 01:20 AM
LOL, Fee. :wavey:

I agree somewhat with what NYCtennisfan said. However really I think the entire concept of what a baseliner is has changed. In the "general" sense, Andy is a baseliner. In the specific better-known sense, I wouldn't consider him as much of one.

But as for the "general" baseliner, I guess it's a curse only on the men's side. It's been all baseliners on the women's side. (Serena and Venus owned Wimbledon, then Sharapova).

NYCtennisfan
06-09-2005, 02:05 AM
I agree somewhat with what NYCtennisfan said. However really I think the entire concept of what a baseliner is has changed. In the "general" sense, Andy is a baseliner. In the specific better-known sense, I wouldn't consider him as much of one.

Right. Back in the "old" days, the baseliner was the passive one, not the aggressor, because the technology at the time didn't allow someone to hit winners from all over the place from the back of the court. But Roddick is always the aggressor (except when playing Federer) even though he plays from the baseline. That and his huge serve means that he is not like the passive baseliners of yesterday.

It's also interesting how baseliners don't feel they need to serve and volley to win at Wimbledon. Lendl completely changed his game for a month every year to compete and he really did need to at the time because he would not have been as successful as he was from the back of the court.

heya
06-09-2005, 02:36 AM
You win by doing many things, not just volleying. Tim Henman would have grass titles if volleying was a simple tactic.
Maintaining a trim body and being very prepared = important Taller players may struggle with fitness and movement. Serving fast is not the same thing as playing aggressively.