Has anyone been? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Has anyone been?

AntonyDupuis2005
06-08-2005, 09:25 PM
I would really like to go to this tournament this year. I'm just wondering if it's a good one, if it's fan friendly like if it's easy to meet players and get autographs and stuff? How many courts do they use for matches? Any info was be greatly appreciated.

jmgsdoubsprtnr
06-09-2005, 05:06 PM
i've been there. players play on 2 main courts and maybe 6 smaller ones. the stadium seating kinda sucks (unless you have good seats) there's no leg room. but if you're like me and like the lesser-known players, the "Court 1" has plenty of room, and isn't very crowded (early in the week). you're also very close to the players (and coaches, Mikael Tillstrom sat next to us during Enqvist's match). Practice courts are also fan-friendly (there's a seating area with tables and umbrellas to sit at). the players have to walk past this area to get back to the locker room, so it's easy to ask for an autograph and depending on the player, they'll give you one.

there's one eating place (probably a deli/cafeteria) inside the venue, and if you're lucky, you might get to eat with a player or coach, if they're not eating at an outside restaurant.

some players (last year, it was the Adidas sponsored ones) had an autograph table in the gift shop. another bonus was that starbuck's was a sponsor, so they were giving out free samples of frozen coffee drinks (which was good, since it was SO hot, and the people giving them out wanted to go back inside, so you could take as many as you wanted).

On the first day, there was a "tennis in the marketplace" where Grosjean and Ginepri were playing in the middle of the city right next to the street. there was free food/drinks and a raffle there. it's pretty far from the actual tournament though. Bud Collins was promoting his book and you could talk to him, he was walking around the grounds of the venue.

I chose Indy over the Cincinatti Masters. mostly because Indy is a pretty small tournament, so if you have a player you want to meet or want to see their match, you probably will. I saw everyone i wanted to see.

if you have any more questions about the tournament or my experience, send me a PM.

Layne
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I have been and will be going again this year. My girlfriend is gaga over Roddick and she got to have her picture taken with him and get his autograph. Also if Agassi stays in this year, it will be great to see him play live before he retires.

I won't be able to make it to the first 3 or 4 days of the tourney, so I am selling a pair of tickets for a few days of the event @ face value. I am selling them here:
http://www.stubhub.com/?genre_id=19688&cb=www

jmgsdoubsprtnr is right... There is very little leg room - we had courtside armchair last year, and our knees were in the backs/shoulders of the people in front of us... I'm 6'4" and the girlfriend is tall as well.

So in case we decided to return, we walked around the stadium and found the best seats for comfort and view (at a relatively decent price) and bought them this year... ;)

The tourney is well worth it. Was impressive to see Roddick's serve clsoe-up...