Is Showing emotions ..Good?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Showing emotions ..Good??

nermo
06-07-2005, 09:51 PM
lots of players do it all the time..few hide it most of the time..
So Guys ..is showing one s emotions good incourt??do u find it helpful? cuz i think it can sometimes get you out of your concentration..and you just lose control of yourself..and does it positively affects you??

Feel free to show your emotions... :D :angel:

deflori
06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
One guy need it,the other eat it :)

When i watch i like when players are emotional,and its important for the sport..

Neely
06-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I like watching players who show lots of emotions. Of course, sometimes it can distract you from your play but also sometimes it get enlight the fire inside you that is needed to win a match that you normally wouldn't win if you continued playing uninspired shit.

Always depends on the player if it's good or bad and on the situation also I would say.

I love it when Hewitt shouts his C'MON or Nadal his VAMOS or when Kiefer's energy level is VERY high or when Waske is cheering up Haas in doubles or if Safin smashes a racket :)

That's part of the sport and this makes it especially interesting for me to follow certain players..... otherwise go and watch a 10 hour chess match ;) it's also sports at a very high level, but maybe a bit more quiet :p

Stevens Point
06-07-2005, 10:13 PM
A professor of an university in Switzerland appeared in a TV interview 2 years ago in a documentary probram, and he said showing emotions worsens how a match goes. He said something like,,, with showing frustration one can lose concentration on her/his play and is likely to make more mistakes, and showing an extreme happiness motivates the opponent more. Federer said also that his coach(es) had always told him to controle his emotions, and it is important. He used to show a lot of emotions, but not much anymore the last few years, and he is now No.1.

mandoura
06-07-2005, 10:23 PM
My son (almost 14 yo) plays competitive tennis. He is unable to channel his emotions in a positive way. If he is winning, he is very quiet out of respect to the other player. But if he is losing, he cannot hide it and it negatively affects his play. He found out that playing beneath his level is what drives him mad and not the other way round he is mad because he is losing so he plays bad. His coach is trying everything to teach him how to control his emotions on court or at least use them to a positive effect.

As for me, I love players showing their emotions, good or bad, screams of delight or frustration, except when it is disrespectful to their opponent. It shows they are human.

tennyfan
06-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I think showing emotions on the court is good ... to an extent. No one likes to watch a robot-like player who shows no emotion. However, sometimes players go overboard, like Malisse and Nalbandian today.

Deivid23
06-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I love it when Hewitt shouts his C'MON or Nadal his VAMOS or when Kiefer's energy level is VERY high or when Waske is cheering up Haas in doubles or if Safin smashes a racket :)

I agree with you I like Hewitt/Nadal in that way, maybe itīs the football fan inside of me :shrug:

Another funny thing about Nadal Iīve remembered these days with all interviews, reports and so... His uncle taught him since he was a kid to never smash a racket bc that would be disrespectful towards the people who canīt buy one :yeah:

mandoura
06-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I think showing emotions on the court is good ... to an extent. No one likes to watch a robot-like player who shows no emotion. However, sometimes players go overboard, like Malisse and Nalbandian today.

I agree. As long as your emotions do not take away your game, by all means, go ahead and give us a feast.

bad gambler
06-07-2005, 11:50 PM
I absolutely love it when players show emotion on court with the fist pumps and the cries of c'mon or its equivalents in other languages :yeah:

NATAS81
06-07-2005, 11:51 PM
The only thing better than Hewitt's vicht, was when Blake mocked him in that AO tiebreak.

Deivid23
06-07-2005, 11:52 PM
I absolutely love it when players show emotion on court with the fist pumps and the cries of c'mon or its equivalents in other languages :yeah:

One of the best (for my taste) by Lleyton was that one when he won that 2nd set TB against Roger 7-0 in last Wimbledon, brutal stuff. Remember? ;)

NATAS81
06-07-2005, 11:53 PM
Lleyton Hewitt "Lawnmower Man"

PimPim "Vicht"

Roddick "Fist Pump"

Nadal "Jumping Tiger Woods upper-cut"

bad gambler
06-07-2005, 11:56 PM
One of the best (for my taste) by Lleyton was that one when he won that 2nd set TB against Roger 7-0 in last Wimbledon, brutal stuff. Remember? ;)
I prefer his reaction at the end of the match when he beat roger in DC semi coming back from 2 sets down :)

He was all over the place, jumping around doing god knows what :lol:

This is why I will always respect Nadal, similar to Hewitt he wears his heart on his sleeve especially when representing his county, we need more players of that ilk.

jenanun
06-07-2005, 11:56 PM
actually i found it quite entertaining to watch player showing emotions...

rather than watching those boring guys playing like a robot...... :zzz:

bad gambler
06-07-2005, 11:58 PM
End of the day its what works for the individual player, some players like to keep emotions checked and it works for them

NATAS81
06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
actually i found it quite entertaining to watch player showing emotions...

rather than watching those boring guys playing like a robot...... :zzz:
Robot on-court, celebrate off.

Deivid23
06-07-2005, 11:59 PM
I prefer his reaction at the end of the match when he beat roger in DC semi coming back from 2 sets down :)

He was all over the place, jumping around doing god knows what :lol:

Couldnīt watch, but yeah, should had been funny.

This is why I will always respect Nadal, similar to Hewitt he wears his heart on his sleeve especially when representing his county, we need more players of that ilk.

:yeah:

NATAS81
06-08-2005, 12:00 AM
End of the day its what works for the individual player, some players like to keep emotions checked and it works for them
Can't argue with Federer's success.

People here will say they don't like to see Federer's game because he doesn't show emotion.

PLEASE. If you wanted to play your best to make that kind of money you will do whatever helps you play best.

erik-the-red
06-08-2005, 12:04 AM
Depends.

A "come on" on a winner you hit that was truly excellent is fine by me.

erik-the-red
06-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Natas81, I agree.

Federer is not totally emotionless (c.f. Safin). But, when he wins a major title, he goes insane.

Safin is quite emotional on court (c.f. Federer). Interestingly, when he wins, he barely shows anything. He kind of sluggishly flops his arms in triumph like he's exhausted beyond belief, smiles, and that's it.

Skyward
06-08-2005, 12:07 AM
Depends.

A "come on" on a winner you hit that was truly excellent is fine by me.

Agree. But double fist pump on opponent's ue or df is not cool.

NATAS81
06-08-2005, 12:08 AM
Natas81, I agree.

Federer is not totally emotionless (c.f. Safin). But, when he wins a major title, he goes insane.

Safin is quite emotional on court (c.f. Federer). Interestingly, when he wins, he barely shows anything. He kind of sluggishly flops his arms in triumph like he's exhausted beyond belief, smiles, and that's it.
c.f. ?

Safin usually loses his mind during most matches where he's forced to tank a set, resulting in 5-setters and become exhausted at the rare occurance he's mentally stable to win the whole thing.

Carolinita
06-08-2005, 01:04 AM
Natas81, I agree.

Safin hates to lost...it drives him crazy because he always wants to do it perfectly..on the other hand, when he win it's kind of "ok, I win, that's all"...in fact, he rarely celebrates his good points through the match :shrug:

lucashg
06-08-2005, 01:56 AM
Well, there are basically two types of emotional players. The emotional winner and the emotional loser. Hewitt and Nadal represent perfectly the first group and they've proved it's successful, therefore good (for them, at least). If they're losing, they can argue themselves, but they keep themselves quiet and as focused as they can. If they're winning, you know the routine: c'mons, fistpumps, vamos, jumpings and so on. Not only they keep themselves focused that way in a positive manner, but they also wear their opponents down mentally, especially if they're the typical emotional loser. Safin, Malisse and even Federer. They keep themselves quiet if they're winning and only show emotions if they're unsatisfied with their level of game. I believe this leads to A) angerness and hungriness to play better and kill their opponents, or B) lose their minds forever and lose the match.

Federer only stepped up once he found a balanced self in-between his coolness, emotional winner and emotional loser - it seems. He only celebrates when it's a big important point, or he's gone down to the emotional loser level (meaning he's longing for a comeback) or it's a pretty Federertastic point, he only loses his mind when he consistently mishits commiting stupid UEs or when he can't find a proper way to play his opponent. If he's winning at a normal level, he shows no emotion. I think that's the way it works best for him. It should also work for Safin, but he has failed to keep himself together on a regular basis.

There's also Robot Mode, such as Agassi. Oh, that works just fine.

Personally, I don't like to see Hewitt/Nadal types playing emotional losers, robots or balanced players. Their attitude comes across as very arrogant and irritating. If they're playing each other, however... it's pure fun! I appreciate players showing their emotions, but I just love Federer's and Agassi's coolness or robotness if you will.

lucashg
06-08-2005, 02:01 AM
The only thing better than Hewitt's vicht, was when Blake mocked him in that AO tiebreak.

I love that. Patty Schnyder comes to mind. :devil:
I think it's only fair to make fun of an opponent who is behaving so vividly for no special reason.

NYCtennisfan
06-08-2005, 02:06 AM
c.f.

Means to compare usually looking at another example earlier or later on in a text.

Yes, I have seen this too and it is very interesting, almost stoic. Showing emotion is cool just as long as it doesn't become disrespectful since tennis is a one-on-one game. Since it is a one-on-one sport, just about anything could be construed to be disrespectful and when you are learning to play the game, this is an unwritten rule. You NEVER show up your opponent.

lucashg
06-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Yes, I have seen this too and it is very interesting, almost stoic. Showing emotion is cool just as long as it doesn't become disrespectful since tennis is a one-on-one game. Since it is a one-on-one sport, just about anything could be construed to be disrespectful and when you are learning to play the game, this is an unwritten rule. You NEVER show up your opponent.

So, Hewitt and Nadal are disrespectful? ...

I think yes as they sometimes celebrate their opponent's obvious UNFORCED errors. But I'll shut up, Justine is my fave WTA player! :angel:

NYCtennisfan
06-08-2005, 02:29 AM
So, Hewitt and Nadal are disrespectful?

Didn't say they were. I am saying that in a one-on-one sport, in the heat of the battle, just about anything can be CONSTRUED to be disrespectful. All of us who have played a match with people watching know this. That's why you are taught by people who respect the game at a young age not to show anyone up and be careful with your emotions so that they are healthy releases and can in no way we taken as an, "In your face" slap. I think sometimes Hewitt goes too far. I don't think he means too, but he is just such an emotional guy that when you are facing him and the c'mons start piling up and the other antics, you feel as though it were an, "In your face slap."

Deivid23
06-08-2005, 02:30 AM
So, Hewitt and Nadal are disrespectful? ...

I think yes as they sometimes celebrate their opponent's obvious UNFORCED errors. But I'll shut up, Justine is my fave WTA player! :angel:

I donīt think saying "vamos" ocasionally on an important point after your rival makes an ue is a sign of bad sportsmanship. Guys have feelings, they have pressure on them and sometimes they can avoid it, perfectly understandable for me, itīs not like theyīre doing after every ue. I mean, it would be hard for Nadal to change that when you can see him at 8 years old pumping himself up even on trainings.

PD: It would be funny seeing someone winning a Grand Slam on an unforced error and not celebrating it, though :p

lucashg
06-08-2005, 02:33 AM
Didn't say you did. I totally get your point. Hewitt may be too emotional, but he seems like he does it on purpose. Nadal's actions are kinda the same, but I don't get the impression with him that he wants to show himself up to his opponents. Annoying at times anyway.

NYCtennisfan
06-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Didn't say you did. I totally get your point. Hewitt may be too emotional, but he seems like he does it on purpose. Nadal's actions are kinda the same, but I don't get the impression with him that he wants to show himself up to his opponents. Annoying at times anyway.

No worries:) I think Nadal's actions and Hewitt's actions are a bit different. I don't think LH is intentionally trying to show anyone up but it comes across that way to many players since they are out there alone on that island we call as tennis stadium.

lucashg
06-08-2005, 02:41 AM
I donīt think saying "vamos" ocasionally on an important point after your rival makes an ue is a sign of bad sportsmanship. Guys have feelings, they have pressure on them and sometimes they can avoid it, perfectly understandable for me, itīs not like theyīre doing after every ue. I mean, it would be hard for Nadal to change that when you can see him at 8 years old pumping himself up even on trainings.

PD: It would be funny seeing someone winning a Grand Slam on an unforced error and not celebrate it, though :p

I know, that's why I said that I don't think he purposedly does it or even thinks of those celebrations under that aspect. But it's too much sometimes.

And it's hard to change that too, nor do I want him to. Just take him like he is, like him or don't. Because of that I said it was not an "age" thing. It's just his style.

Oh, I know I said Hewitt seems to do it on purpose but I just remembered one match when his opponent (was it Blake? Don't even know, but it was in AO) was mad at him or something and he seemed so "WTF's up?" in such an innocent "didn't know what I did" thing. LOL at that. :angel:

lucashg
06-08-2005, 02:45 AM
No worries:) I think Nadal's actions and Hewitt's actions are a bit different. I don't think LH is intentionally trying to show anyone up but it comes across that way to many players since they are out there alone on that island we call as tennis stadium.

Yep, guess I can see that in him sometimes (see my previous post) :p . Shit, I think I'm just starting to like Potato. :eek: :unsure: :scared:

Can't wait to see him beating up some of my favorites and then be spanked by Rogi again. :D :devil:

bouncer
06-08-2005, 10:12 AM
emotion sure makes it funner to watch. but if it makes the player play worse then its a no go.

Auscon
06-08-2005, 10:20 AM
emotion on court is a brilliant thing......and it certainly doesnt have any negative effects on the concentration of guys like Lleyton and Rafa....it only strengthens them

deliveryman
06-08-2005, 11:53 AM
It's all based on the individual. Some need to show emotion and get it all out.

TheMightyFed
06-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Results-wise, look at Borg and Sampras and you get the answer...
In terms of show, Nadal brings fun to the game because he's very positive, Hewitt brought only spits (chela), mockery (Blake) and controversy in AO. I watched him in Queen's yesterday against Malisse, and he yelled his "come on" on a Malisse ball that was out, at the exact time it bounced, at a crucial moment. This is designed to break opponent's confidence, which is really unfair.
Conclusion: it depends on the way you show the emotions.

Nimomunz
06-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Results-wise, look at Borg and Sampras and you get the answer...
In terms of show, Nadal brings fun to the game because he's very positive, Hewitt brought only spits (chela), mockery (Blake) and controversy in AO. I watched him in Queen's yesterday against Malisse, and he yelled his "come on" on a Malisse ball that was out, at the exact time it bounced, at a crucial moment. This is designed to break opponent's confidence, which is really unfair.
Conclusion: it depends on the way you show the emotions.
lleyton is unbelievably rude.......

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 02:40 PM
Of course, itīs good when players show emotions on the court. Nothing is more boring than players who are like robots, who never smile, never show happiness after winning a close point...
I also donīt find it annoying or offending when a player argues with the umpire after a wrong decision unless he takes it too far.

nermo
06-08-2005, 08:01 PM
Well, first of all thanks for Participation in this thread.. :angel:

i think..it differs according to the player...for some its good to show positive emotions after winning a point ..it gives them motivation and encouragement to keep going..the most prevailing examples..Hewitt ..Nadal..Federer(when it comes after two or three lost points)..but What i think..is that these positive emotions can have different responses from both opponents and crowds according to the way with which they re shown ..For example..Hewitt with all those Comooons..just gives himself negative responses from opponents..lots of players just get distracted , even some lost control .. i remember Chela .as an example...( i know its not proper ..but i dont like these Comoons myself..think they re too aggressive)
Nadal and Federer..just give Joy and some amusement to the crowds..they re not that same as Hewitt..

2) WHILE FOR NEGATIVE emotions..while losing., nervousness, arguing with the umpire..most of the time i think it just gets the player out of control
..it can also lead to big losses ..and for me..it just makes me uncomfortable whether this player is my fav. or his opponent..

nermo
06-08-2005, 08:04 PM
lleyton is unbelievably rude....... posted by nimomunz

i dont think its rudeness..it can be called ...severe uncontrollable playing excitation :silly: