Does anybody else... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Does anybody else...

raeesa301
06-07-2005, 07:57 PM
find Rafa arrogant! I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched the final! There was a point where Puerta and him were both at the net and he hit the volley straight at Puerta's body. He won the point and immediatly pumped his fist before he apologized! That's just pure bad sportsmanship :mad: !

I love the way he plays ;) but every time I watch him I get the sense that he seems really arrogant. People may not minding him jumping all over the place right now because he's so young and exciting, but what about later in his life when he carries on with the same attitude :confused: ?

Most of the French Open winners were/are never arrogant. Look at Borg, Agassi, Kuerten, Ferrero, Gaudio, Chang those guys have never shown signs of arrogance :angel: !

I hope I'm not offending anybody and I know that everybody is in love with the guy at the moment! Even I like him, but does anybody agree with me?

nermo
06-07-2005, 08:11 PM
NO..

lina_seta
06-07-2005, 08:12 PM
I hope I'm not offending anybody and I know that everybody is in love with the guy at the moment! Even I like him, but does anybody agree with me?

WRRONNG
not every body is in love with that kid!!... but well i must say that i dont find him arrogant... he is sweet outside the court... but i dont like his fist pumping at every point he wins behavior

but well im sure that as time goes on and he starts making more interviews haters will ripped it into fragments and re-arranged them to make him look bad and arrogant :devil: :devil: (u know..)
nadal said: "he... is not... a good player... no?" !!

deliveryman
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
That's like the 30th time his smashed a volley right at his opponant at the FO this year. Each time acting like it was unintentional...

robinhood
06-07-2005, 08:17 PM
nadal said: "he... is not... a good player... no?" !!

:haha:

NATAS81
06-07-2005, 08:19 PM
Easy to think of his aggressive flambouyant style of play as arrogant.

Same BS as the Fed is cocky allegations.

nermo
06-07-2005, 08:20 PM
That's like the 30th time he smashed a volley right at his opponant at the FO this year. Each time acting like it was unintentional... posted by deliveryman

30th time... :devil: ??????and still his opponents dare to stand infront of him on the net???its their fault for sure..

jmp
06-07-2005, 08:28 PM
No.

Neely
06-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Good that Nadal did the right thing to hit into Puerta's body on an important point as it was clearly the safest option after retrieving this dropshot.

MariaV
06-07-2005, 08:32 PM
The answer is NO.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 08:40 PM
Ferrero not arrogant ? :haha: :haha:

Where's Devide? :haha:

Haute
06-07-2005, 08:47 PM
You're not the only one turned off by his attitude. It's one thing to play really well and win a lot of titles, but to be a true champion is to leave your ego behind and conduct yourself with humility and dignity. I've been turned off also by so many of Nadal's comments in his press conferences. Like Valencia this year, he beats Ferrero something like 6-1, 6-2, and then has the nerve to say he wasn't playing his best tennis. :rolleyes: And again in regards to Ferrero, going into the Barcelona final this year he had said that it would be "such an honor to win the title against my friend;" notice that he says win the title against Ferrero, not play the final with a friend, but win. He's too sure of himself to the point of arrogance.

Lila
06-07-2005, 08:50 PM
find Rafa arrogant! I couldn't believe my eyes when I watched the final! There was a point where Puerta and him were both at the net and he hit the volley straight at Puerta's body. He won the point and immediatly pumped his fist before he apologized! That's just pure bad sportsmanship :mad: !

I love the way he plays ;) but every time I watch him I get the sense that he seems really arrogant. People may not minding him jumping all over the place right now because he's so young and exciting, but what about later in his life when he carries on with the same attitude :confused: ?

Most of the French Open winners were/are never arrogant. Look at Borg, Agassi, Kuerten, Ferrero, Gaudio, Chang those guys have never shown signs of arrogance :angel: !

I agree. Sometimes he's SO irritating!

But he's very young, he still has so much to learn. :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Like Valencia this year, he beats Ferrero something like 6-1, 6-2, and then has the nerve to say he wasn't playing his best tennis. :rolleyes:

He also put emphasis on how surprising Ferrero's poor play was, but let's forget that part :yeah:

And again in regards to Ferrero, going into the Barcelona final this year he had said that it would be "such an honor to win the title against my friend;" notice that he says win the title against Ferrero, not play the final with a friend, but win.

I know! He wanted to WIN! Can you believe that audacity of that little bugger?!?!?!?!?!?! Blasphemous.

Lila
06-07-2005, 08:52 PM
You're not the only one turned off by his attitude. It's one thing to play really well and win a lot of titles, but to be a true champion is to leave your ego behind and conduct yourself with humility and dignity. I've been turned off also by so many of Nadal's comments in his press conferences. Like Valencia this year, he beats Ferrero something like 6-1, 6-2, and then has the nerve to say he wasn't playing his best tennis. :rolleyes: And again in regards to Ferrero, going into the Barcelona final this year he had said that it would be "such an honor to win the title against my friend;" notice that he says win the title against Ferrero, not play the final with a friend, but win. He's too sure of himself to the point of arrogance.

omg.

hope he'll grow up soon.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 08:54 PM
omg.

hope he'll grow up soon.
I also hope so. The sooner he stops wanting to win the better.

I've got a bridge to sell you, if you're interested.

Haute
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
I know! He wanted to WIN! Can you believe that audacity of that little bugger?!?!?!?!?!?! Blasphemous.

:rolleyes: He could at least show some respect to his opponents by not outright discrediting them from even having a chance of winning against him.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 08:55 PM
:rolleyes: He could at least show some respect to his opponents by not outright discrediting them from even having a chance of winning against him.
Pass the bong.

nermo
06-07-2005, 08:56 PM
And again in regards to Ferrero, going into the Barcelona final this year he had said that it would be "such an honor to win the title against my friend;" notice that he says win the title against Ferrero, not play the final with a friend, but win. He's too sure of himself to the point of arrogance. posted by S.P.

Where is Arrogance here?? :angel:

tennyfan
06-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I don't find him arrogant so much as I find him way too intense. He always has that over the top intense look on his face like Sharapova. I think he missed his calling as an ice dancer. :angel:

robinhood
Oh my gosh...
I am no biggest fan of Nadal's, but if Nadal is perceived arrogant, there wouldn't be a single soul on the tour who would not be! (maybe except for Hanescu)
I understand how some people might negatively react to his on-court celebrations and such because Lleyton Hewitt has already caused so many controversies with his similar antics, but let's remember that he is young and just starting out to come into his own.
I am sure as he gets older and garners more success, somebody will mention to him that he should tone it down, and I think he will.

And English not being his first language, he might have said something he didn't mean to, or it might have gotten mixed up in translations. So I don't think we should read too much into anything that might sound cocky.

Denaon
Nadal has a child attitude cause he's a child, period.

NYCtennisfan
06-07-2005, 08:58 PM
No, not at all. The only thing that I have heard about Nadal that might be nitpicked is something he said towards an Argentine player? One of the Argentinian posters mentioned something about a derogatory comment. Of course, I don't know anything about this.

I find him really quite respectful and genuine in his interviews.

Turkeyballs Paco
06-07-2005, 09:01 PM
:rolleyes: I knew it wouldn't be long before a thread like this got started. I guess it's the underdog thing, we need to bitch and moan about winning players, while they are winning.

He's 19. Do you realize how stupid teenagers are? Maybe he'll settle down. I like him, he reminds me in some ways of my favorite :inlove:

tangerine_dream
06-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Oh goody. The first of many Rafa hate threads has appeared. :o Time to start a hunt thread. (fetus hunt?) :scratch:

robinhood
06-07-2005, 09:18 PM
Oh goody. The first of many Rafa hate threads has appeared. Time to start a hunt thread. (fetus hunt?) :scratch:

A Hunt thread? Already?? :lol:

euroka1
06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Come off it! At least he enjoys and is enthusiastic about the challenge of playing tournaments which is more than can be said for some. I like the fresh spirit as well as the GREAT TENNIS.

maratski
06-07-2005, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't say he's arrogant or anything, but after that particular point he could have stayed more quiet and apologise BEFORE pumping the fist.

allanah
06-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Somebody has just said Nadal is very intense. I think that's what it is: it's likely to turn you off if you are not a fan and really appeal if you are. I prefer he sound confident and say he's pleased with a win rather than feign a humility he doesn't genuinely feel.
I think some of the over-celebration can be forgiven, can't it? After all he's 19 and living his dream.

mandoura
06-07-2005, 10:32 PM
find Rafa arrogant! ...

Getting picky, aren't we? ;)

And to answer your question, no he is not arrogant.

lucashg
06-07-2005, 10:57 PM
:lol:

If Federer is arrogant, how could Nadal not be? MTF :rolleyes:

But no, he isn't. His on-court behavior has become a turn-off for me, though. He's too intense and often over-celebrates. And I don't think it is all that related to his age, 'cos Hewitt still acts like that. On-court, that can easily be interpreted as arrogance, especially if he's playing someone who doesn't behave like that at all. So I see why - if he continues like that which is so likely - he's gonna get his fair share of haters.

Off-court, he comes across as being very down to earth and humble. I like it and hope he carries himself that way.

zethand
06-08-2005, 02:19 AM
Well you need to see other players and then you will realise that Nadal doesnt have anything of arrogant...
So my answer is NO!
I dont like him... but he is tolerable...

PamV
06-08-2005, 02:30 AM
I find him obnoxious on court. I especially don't like the side shuffle dance he does for some 10 - 20 feet after winning a point. He often emotes after an opponent loses a point. I also find his outfit crass looking.

PamV
06-08-2005, 02:32 AM
:lol:

If Federer is arrogant, how could Nadal not be? MTF :rolleyes:

Federer never comes off as arrogant....where do you get that from? Federer is down to earth on court and off. He gives off a vibe of class and kindness. He's my hero ! Can't you tell?

lucashg
06-08-2005, 03:02 AM
Federer never comes off as arrogant....where do you get that from? Federer is down to earth on court and off. He gives off a vibe of class and kindness. He's my hero ! Can't you tell?

That's why I said that Nadal isn't which automatically disvalids my post about Federer being arrogant? It's just what I've been reading lately.

Federer's the coolest, on and off court. He's my favorite, can't you tell? :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 04:28 AM
I find him obnoxious on court. I especially don't like the side shuffle dance he does for some 10 - 20 feet after winning a point. He often emotes after an opponent loses a point. I also find his outfit crass looking.
I suppose you'd prefer it if he emoted after HE lost a point?

megadeth
06-08-2005, 04:31 AM
i don't find nadal arrogant on court at all. even if he did thos fist pumps, it was to himself and not meant to be directed at his opponent.

very different from hewitt's cmaaaaaaaawwwwwn! 's

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 04:32 AM
I don't really see how he's different from Hewitt on court. I've made that argument before, and it was based on how it seems that players perceive the two of them. As of yet, nobody has tried to spit on Rafa. That I know of. Players have been whining about Hewitt since he was still a teenager. I'm not sure why it's different, but apparently it is.

NATAS81
06-08-2005, 04:33 AM
To me, it would be a lot more irritating if he did it alot on errors and didn't do it nearly as often after a big point win. At least he has exciting celebrations like Hewitt, so it tells me he's more into the game than just messing with his opponent's head, like Sharapova comes off as.

megadeth
06-08-2005, 04:36 AM
it's because hewitt's antics are meant to get to his opponent's head, plus he's really brash.

nadal on the other hand, when making unbelievable shots, is more like "yeah! can't believe i did that!"

hewitt's pumps are more like "ha! i told you asshole!" :p

bad gambler
06-08-2005, 04:36 AM
very different from hewitt's cmaaaaaaaawwwwwn! 's

yeah i know what you mean, becuase nadal shouts out VAMOOOOOSSSSS instead :silly:

trixy
06-08-2005, 04:51 AM
I don't really find him obnoxious. Hewitt annoys me but for some reason Rafa doesn't. I know its a double standard but hey I think its good if players show some emotion, all players are different. Some are like Federer calm and collected and some are like Rafa and Hewitt. Obviously if it is to the point where the opponents complain then its not good. I havn't heard anyone complain about Rafael though.

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 04:59 AM
See, Hewitt used to bother me a little bit. By rooting for Rafa I have grown to appreciate Hewitt's on court intensity.

Auscon
06-08-2005, 05:01 AM
No.

He's a 19yo kid who plays with alot of emotion.

Anyone who's not a fan, and a fan of the players he's beating, will find any excuse they can, and read a whole lot of crap into absolutely nothing, to put him in a bad light

puts a shot at the body? jeez, curse the kid for wanting to win a point via the only method he could

Clara Bow
06-08-2005, 05:12 AM
No- I don't find him arrogant. At all.

One reason is because his on court intesnity and enthusiasm seems natural and organic. What I mean is that I don't think he does "vamos" or a fist pump as a purposeful way to get at his opponent. But rather, it is because the excitment of the play bubbles out of him. He's been doing this stuff since he was a little wee one so I just think that is how he plays and is not a ploy.

And off court- Nadal seems to me to be a real sweetie who appreciates where he is right now.

As for Hewitt, I do think that he gets into the match and so his come ons don't bug me that much. (Although unlike Nadal, they don't always seem to come out of the joy of playing, if that makes any sense). I don't mind his exlamations so much as I do the times when engages in a stare down with the line judge or stuff like that. Those hijinks I don't like. But still, I've always respeceted that Hewitt has made it very clear how much he wants to win a match.

bad gambler
06-08-2005, 05:17 AM
No- I don't find him arrogant. At all.

One reason is because his on court intesnity and enthusiasm seems natural and organic. What I mean is that I don't think he does "vamos" or a fist pump as a purposeful way to get at his opponent. But rather, it is because the excitment of the play bubbles out of him. He's been doing this stuff since he was a little wee one so I just think that is how he plays and is not a ploy.

As for Hewitt, I do think that he gets into the match and so his come ons don't bug me that much. (Although unlike Nadal, they don't always seem to come out of the joy of playing, if that makes any sense). I don't mind his exlamations so much as I do the times when engages in a stare down with the line judge or stuff like that. But still, I've always respeceted that Hewitt has made it very clear how much he wants to win a match.
You hit the nail on the head clara

Both play with a high level of intensity on court, I have never had a problem with Hewitt's c'mons and vichts as I dont have a problem with Nadal's Vamos' yet for some reason it gets on other peoples nerves

The only think I don't condone is the stupid things Hewitt does like staring down the lines judge at AO, that was disgraceful and this is coming from one of his biggest fans

bad gambler
06-08-2005, 05:20 AM
As for Hewitt, I do think that he gets into the match and so his come ons don't bug me that much. (Although unlike Nadal, they don't always seem to come out of the joy of playing, if that makes any sense).

no it doesn't make much sense at all

Clara Bow
06-08-2005, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by Clara Bow
As for Hewitt, I do think that he gets into the match and so his come ons don't bug me that much. (Although unlike Nadal, they don't always seem to come out of the joy of playing, if that makes any sense).

no it doesn't make much sense at all

Eeermm...how can I explain this. Out of Nadal, it sometimes seems to me to be more out of the joy and happiness with playing and what is going on court, and the joy of getting a win.

With Hewitt, sometimes it strikes me more of this bull dog ferocity. He has his target- the win, and he will get it and will be be demonstrative about anyting that gets him closer to his goal because he is so intent on getting it.

This is all my interpretation though.

To me, they are both intense, but not in the same way. And I'm not saying one type is better than another. Perhaps I am splitting hairs, or making up minutiae doesn't exist- but I think that they are intense in different ways. I don't think that any of the players are clones of one another so I like to look for differances. :)

Mechlan
06-08-2005, 05:37 AM
You hit the nail on the head clara

Both play with a high level of intensity on court, I have never had a problem with Hewitt's c'mons and vichts as I dont have a problem with Nadal's Vamos' yet for some reason it gets on other peoples nerves

The only think I don't condone is the stupid things Hewitt does like staring down the lines judge at AO, that was disgraceful and this is coming from one of his biggest fans

Couldn't agree more. People might dislike their demonstrativeness, but I think it really shows their desire to win, and that intensity and desire is something a lot of players could do with a bit more of.

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 05:51 AM
I am sure as he gets older and garners more success, somebody will mention to him that he should tone it down, and I think he will.

Amen.

And to whoever can´t stand Rafael´s behaviour: Look away or simply get over it. He is not the only one who shows his intense feelings on court.

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Eeermm...how can I explain this. Out of Nadal, it sometimes seems to me to be more out of the joy and happiness with playing and what is going on court, and the joy of getting a win.

Very, very well said.

Sparko1030
06-08-2005, 06:14 AM
[QUOTE=Clara Bow]Eeermm...how can I explain this. Out of Nadal, it sometimes seems to me to be more out of the joy and happiness with playing and what is going on court, and the joy of getting a win.

I love your explaination! I think its right on the mark.

The young player I do think shows poor sportmanship on the court sometimes is Gasquet.

megadeth
06-08-2005, 06:17 AM
wouldn't it be a more interesting match up if it were hewitt vs nadal? both grinders with speed on the court... it will be a dog fight!

undomiele
06-08-2005, 06:21 AM
I think Nadal is a highly competitive person but not arrogant. Theres a difference.

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 06:23 AM
wouldn't it be a more interesting match up if it were hewitt vs nadal? both grinders with speed on the court... it will be a dog fight!
It is an interesting matchup.

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 06:27 AM

C'mon vs. Vamos :)

bad gambler
06-08-2005, 07:09 AM
wouldn\'t it be a more interesting match up if it were hewitt vs nadal? both grinders with speed on the court... it will be a dog fight!
well if AO was anything to judge by, I look forward to their next match up :boxing:

Turkeyballs Paco
06-08-2005, 02:30 PM
To me, they are both intense, but not in the same way. And I'm not saying one type is better than another. Perhaps I am splitting hairs, or making up minutiae doesn't exist- but I think that they are intense in different ways. I don't think that any of the players are clones of one another so I like to look for differances. :)

It's great some of the Rafa fans/Hewitt critics are finding it difficult to reconcile why they can overlook Rafa's oncourt behavior when it's pretty much the same as Hewitt's, but they will probably continue to criticize Hewitt for it. I like the way Clara Bow said it (they are basically doing the same thing, but we would like to think Rafa has a positive energy about it and Hewitt's just a punk) :lol:

I'm glad some Hewitt critics, especially the media, think he's a punk because of his on-court behavior and then will readily admit they enjoy Rafa.

I think both guys are so entertaining. Nothing more boring than a stiff, proper tennis player showing no passion for his game.

YoursTruly
06-08-2005, 05:20 PM

He's nowhere near arrogant. He lets the tennis do the talking. We need more players like him.

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 09:19 PM
It's great some of the Rafa fans/Hewitt critics are finding it difficult to reconcile why they can overlook Rafa's oncourt behavior when it's pretty much the same as Hewitt's, but they will probably continue to criticize Hewitt for it. I like the way Clara Bow said it (they are basically doing the same thing, but we would like to think Rafa has a positive energy about it and Hewitt's just a punk) :lol:

I'm glad some Hewitt critics, especially the media, think he's a punk because of his on-court behavior and then will readily admit they enjoy Rafa.

I think both guys are so entertaining. Nothing more boring than a stiff, proper tennis player showing no passion for his game.
As I said, it's awfully hard to overlook the fact that players have complained about Hewitt since he was a teen and one even tried to SPIT on him. No, this is not all the players, but so far Nadal hasnt gotten that negative attention.

It's worth asking why not? As I said - their behaviour on court doesn't appear that different to me (Nadal's celebrations are funnier though, I lurve the shuffle and scissor kick!), but it's clearly different to some of the people who have to play him. Why?

lucashg
06-08-2005, 09:29 PM
The young player I do think shows poor sportmanship on the court sometimes is Gasquet.

How come?
I just have seen about 5 matches of him and he never seemed to show poor sportmanship.

I didn't get it.

Turkeyballs Paco
06-08-2005, 09:47 PM
As I said, it's awfully hard to overlook the fact that players have complained about Hewitt since he was a teen and one even tried to SPIT on him. No, this is not all the players, but so far Nadal hasnt gotten that negative attention.

It's worth asking why not? As I said - their behaviour on court doesn't appear that different to me (Nadal's celebrations are funnier though, I lurve the shuffle and scissor kick!), but it's clearly different to some of the people who have to play him. Why?

Yeah, I think it will be interesting to see if that changes over time. Another year or 2 of Rafa winning and doing this and will the other players think it's as cute then as it is now? I'm just saying... :shrug:

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I think it will be interesting to see if that changes over time. Another year or 2 of Rafa winning and doing this and will the other players think it's as cute then as it is now? I'm just saying... :shrug:
But it started against Hewitt before he was as successful as Rafa is now.

I'm not saying people won't get on Rafa, but there is clearly a discrepancy here - one that I can't explain and don't really care to speculate on since doing so would just reveal my biases :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 09:56 PM
How come?
I just have seen about 5 matches of him and he never seemed to show poor sportmanship.

I didn't get it.
Maybe because he used to retire with cramps every other match and try to kill linespeople with his racquet.

It appears those days are over though, so I think he should be forgiven for being a tempermental youth ;)

Sjengster
06-09-2005, 12:13 AM

Stiff, proper tennis players. :hearts: They are the only thing that makes following tennis worthwhile.

I dislike both of 'em, so no inconsistency from me here. Of course dislike isn't always rational (hardly ever, in fact), so there's probably no reason why I should get so annoyed by their behaviour when it's perfectly within the rules and the opponent should simply deal with it, but it still sticks in my craw. There's nothing more enjoyable than seeing an emotional player silenced... IMO only, of course.

Sparko1030
06-09-2005, 03:55 AM
How come?

I didn't get it.

First I must admit I didn't see the match myself but I heard from several sources he behaved poorly in his last match against Massu. Taunting when Nico made unforced errors is the claim that sticks out in my mind.

RodLo
06-09-2005, 04:34 AM

No.

Sorry, but while I do see where you're coming from, I just don't agree with you.

Think of the fists pumps and jumping around this way...don't basketball players (or any athlete, for that matter) high-five each other (or congratulate each other in some noticeable way) when they do something good? What's wrong with a tennis player doing the same thing? :shrug:

RonE
06-09-2005, 06:56 AM

Agassi? Not arrogant?????? :haha:

Chloe le Bopper
06-09-2005, 06:57 AM
Next we're going to hear that Agassi was always a great sport.

Rex
06-09-2005, 07:35 AM
nadal is not arrogent- just young and passionate. when his older he will so much more wiser adn better on the court.