Easy first round win for Federer! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Easy first round win for Federer!

pinky
06-07-2005, 04:07 PM
Ok, not really, he won 6-7 7-6 6-4, that was just an Alexito "bird call"... :P

Horatio Caine
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
With all due respect to Roger, he didn't win the match - Soderling lost it.

Purple Rainbow
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
With all due respect to Roger, he didn't win the match - Soderling lost it.

Oh come on, Soderling only double-faulted at 6-6 in the 2nd set tie-break and at Rogers second matchpoint. That's all! :)

No really, this was one hell of a scary match to follow. I hope Roger manages to lift his game a little against Mayer, or it's really going to cost me some years of my life! ;)

Horatio Caine
06-07-2005, 04:16 PM
[QUOTE=Purple Rainbow]Oh come on, Soderling only double-faulted at 6-6 in the 2nd set tie-break and at Rogers second matchpoint. That's all! :)/QUOTE]

But that is precisely the point! He was too good on serve for Roger and that is what kept him in the match. If he hadn't doublefaulted at 6/6 in the tiebreak, he would have had 1 matchpoint...maybe he would have won, maybe not. But he would have been the favourite to win the tb serving like that.

And at 5/4 30/40...would have been deuce and a possible hold to 5/5. Maybe a tiebreak...maybe a win.

He had Roger on the ropes - you can't doublefault twice like that. Roger was gifted the final point of the match.

Mrs. B
06-07-2005, 04:19 PM
thank God Roger got through. what was all that fuss with the line? i didn't get it as i was on the other side of the glass window and couldn't hear anything.

Corey Feldman
06-07-2005, 04:22 PM
Roger showed some good heart, painting the lines with his forehand on match point down i read...
i knew today would be a tough match, not this tough... and its still a tricky draw with mayer, possibly pimpim then Nadal.

Purple Rainbow
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
But that is precisely the point! He was too good on serve for Roger and that is what kept him in the match. If he hadn't doublefaulted at 6/6 in the tiebreak, he would have had 1 matchpoint...maybe he would have won, maybe not. But he would have been the favourite to win the tb serving like that.

And at 5/4 30/40...would have been deuce and a possible hold to 5/5. Maybe a tiebreak...maybe a win.

He had Roger on the ropes - you can't doublefault twice like that. Roger was gifted the final point of the match.

:lol:

I was being ironic mate! I know us Rogi fans should be really grateful for Soderlings fragile mental state! Next time I'll make an ironic comment I will use the ;) smiley, okay!

Horatio Caine
06-07-2005, 04:27 PM
:lol:

I was being ironic mate! I know us Rogi fans should be really grateful for Soderlings fragile mental state! Next time I'll make an ironic comment I will use the ;) smiley, okay!

A smilie would help yeah! Sorry i misquoted you ;) :haha:

pinky
06-07-2005, 04:35 PM
thank God Roger got through. what was all that fuss with the line? i didn't get it as i was on the other side of the glass window and couldn't hear anything.

Roger hit a ball a bit long, no call, Soderling basically stoped playing, raising his arms like "WTF this ball is out", then finally hit the next ball and pass Federer who was at the net...
I think Federer complained that Soderling made it as if he stopped playing but still finished the point... to which the ref replied something like: "Were you thinking i would come down to check the mark Roger!?" :)
Then Federer asked for the supervisor, hoping to get the point replayed... guess he was wrong but i guess he wanted a little break (which served nothing since he lost the game on next point).

Hope this is clear ;)

Mrs. B
06-07-2005, 04:38 PM
thanks, pinky. :)

the crowd didn't seem to like that. ;)

RonE
06-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Great- another Dubai in the making.

Horatio Caine
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
"Afterwards he won the point anyway by serving an ace and then jeered right into my face so it's certainly a problem with him right now," said Federer. BBC Sport

DanEd
06-07-2005, 05:59 PM
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Roger

bandabou
06-07-2005, 06:11 PM
tough match for Rog...glad he pulled it off.

Eve83
06-07-2005, 07:06 PM
thanks, pinky. :)

the crowd didn't seem to like that. ;)

Hey, it took a while for the guys to start booing...if that happened at the FO, it would have been a total (but funny) disaster;)

My mum who has something like a crush on Roger called me after the match saying:"Oh, did you see how Federer sat down in the middle of the game, looking like a little mad child? So cute!"...yes mum;)

http://us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/ap/20050607/capt.mme11806071530.deu_atp_tennis_gerry_weber_ope n_mme118.jpg

RogiFan88
06-07-2005, 08:23 PM
Actually, I'm surprised the RG crowd didn't boo Rogi off the court after he lost to Rafa... they applauded him for his less-than-stellar effort. ;)

NATAS81
06-07-2005, 08:51 PM
This is more dangerous for his next opponents, not only is he the world's best grass player, but he was forced to concentrate throughout the whole match and pulled through.

AnnabelLee
06-07-2005, 08:56 PM
who is he playin next??

NATAS81
06-07-2005, 09:00 PM
Florian Mayer who defeated the stealthy Mikhail Youhzny 6-4 7-6(4)

Singles Draw here http://www.gerryweber-open.de/332.php

AnnabelLee
06-07-2005, 09:03 PM
Florian Mayer who defeated the stealthy Mikhail Youhzny 6-4 7-6(4)

Singles Draw here http://www.gerryweber-open.de/332.php

thx

deliveryman
06-07-2005, 09:26 PM
You can't say what-if's

"What if Federer didn't miss that forehand, when it was 30-30"
"What if Soderling didn't double fault"

etc. etc.

It's all circumstancial.

Deivid23
06-07-2005, 11:46 PM
Roger hit a ball a bit long, no call, Soderling basically stoped playing, raising his arms like "WTF this ball is out", then finally hit the next ball and pass Federer who was at the net...
I think Federer complained that Soderling made it as if he stopped playing but still finished the point... to which the ref replied something like: "Were you thinking i would come down to check the mark Roger!?" :)
Then Federer asked for the supervisor, hoping to get the point replayed... guess he was wrong but i guess he wanted a little break (which served nothing since he lost the game on next point).

Hope this is clear ;)

Pretty arrogant by Roger, I was shocked :shrug:

jacobhiggins
06-07-2005, 11:48 PM
Arrogant? Watch the point again Soderling started the whole mess not Federer!

Deivid23
06-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Arrogant? Watch the point again Soderling started the whole mess not Federer!

Do you think stopping the match and sit down challenging the umpire, asking for the ATP supervisor to come is not an arrogant thing? :rolleyes:

BTW, looks like German crowd also found it arrrogant, thatīs why they booed him I guess

rofe
06-08-2005, 12:06 AM
Do you think stopping the match and sit down challenging the umpire, asking for the ATP supervisor to come is not an arrogant thing? :rolleyes:

BTW, looks like German crowd also found it arrrogant, thatīs why they booed him I guess

I didn't see the match but if the description of what happened is true, I agree with you that he needs to get his cool back. I am a big fan of Federer but arrogance is not the answer to frustration.

He should have taken it out on his racket like someone else we know and love. :D

Jimena
06-08-2005, 01:16 AM
It seems like "arrogance" is the kneejerk reaction to anything Roger says and does these days. Funny, specially considering that apparently none of you guys pointing a finger and saying "Arrogant!" actually saw the match...

Deivid23
06-08-2005, 01:17 AM
It seems like "arrogance" is the kneejerk reaction to anything Roger says and does these days. Funny, specially considering that apparently none of you guys pointing a finger and saying "Arrogant!" actually saw the match...

I watched since 5-6 in the 1st set till end of the 2nd (a break to see final games of Hewitt-Malisse 1st set) and then again since 2-3 in the 3rd.

I didnīt have the feeling Roger played bad, even more considering that was his first match on grass. Soderling played quite well and served also fine. Heīs not a walk in the park for anyone when heīs one, thatīs pretty obvious.

About that issue on 2-3 30-15 in the 3rd, both players acted like children. Roger stopped the match and sat down in a arrogant manner (for my taste) waiting for the supervisor to attend him ( :shrug: ) and later Soderling stared at him after winning the last point in the game. Go n grow up you both

Jimena
06-08-2005, 01:39 AM
And you're basing your opinion on another poster's opinion of it? I'll say it again: calling Roger "arrogant" seems to be fashionable these days, and in a lot of cases it's a perception that's not really based on reality.

I've read other people's descriptions of the incident, and they don't sound like these poster's description of it. But since I didn't actually SEE the incident myself, I'm not going to judge it.

Deivid23
06-08-2005, 01:42 AM
And you're basing your opinion on another poster's opinion of it? I'll say it again: calling Roger "arrogant" seems to be fashionable these days, and in a lot of cases it's a perception that's not really based on reality.

I've read other people's descriptions of the incident, and they don't sound like these poster's description of it. But since I didn't actually SEE the incident myself, I'm not going to judge it.

That was my opinion (pasted from other thread) bc I actually watched the match :rolleyes:

Jimena
06-08-2005, 02:06 AM
That was my opinion (pasted from other thread) bc I actually watched the match :rolleyes:

Well, that wasn't particularly clear in your post, and I haven't read the other thread you mentioned. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

However, I stand by what I said. It doesn't apply to you (taking other people's opinions as truth- the calling Fed arrogant as a "fashionable thing to do" still stands), but it applies to a heck of a lot of people.

And don't you roll your eyes at me. :p

RogiFan88
06-08-2005, 04:38 AM
Marat didn't display arrogant behaviour during his match vs. Juanqui in Hamburg...

If you think this round was "easy", wait til Rogi meets Mayer in round 2.

playhard
06-08-2005, 07:53 AM
which channel did you watch the match?

Shabazza
06-08-2005, 09:03 AM
which channel did you watch the match?
for German speaking countries DSF and ZDF

pinky
06-08-2005, 02:10 PM
for German speaking countries DSF and ZDF

Damn, thanks, i thought it was only on dsf! just changed channel :)

Daniel
06-10-2005, 03:41 AM
Roger :banana: