Who's been to MS Montreal? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who's been to MS Montreal?

cedez
06-07-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm thinking of going to see my first ATP tournament ever in Montreal this summer, and need some advice. I'm not sure if I can go for the entire week, so when is the best time to go? Do the top seeds get a buy for the first round??? Also, what's the transportation situation like in Montreal? Is it pretty easy to get around? I'm trying to figure out where the best place is to stay. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated!

bad gambler
06-07-2005, 01:31 AM
not me as yet but that will change this year

i'm going :woohoo: :banana:

cheeky
06-07-2005, 01:51 AM
i have gone and i believe that the men play first round but it is my opinion to go starting on wednesday because that is usually when you can see all the big names play on the same day. What also sometimes do also is i buy tickets for the first day because that is when all the big name players usually decide to practice and i just hangout at all the practice courts.

tennisace
06-07-2005, 01:53 AM
I've been a few times, the last two years ago and am going again this summer. For me, I like going from Sunday through Wednesday or Thursday, so I see some of the qualies and lots of practice and the first and second rounds. I like those days because everyone is there and even if someone you want to see isn't playing in the first round you can easily find them practicing. The top seeds do get a bye - at least they did last year in Toronto and the year before in Montreal. The venue is kind of far from downtown and no hotels nearby. Everyone stays downtown and from there it's a easy 20 minutes or so on the subway. It's a great tourney to see the players practicing and walking around the grounds, and the outer courts are great for watching matches. Center Court's not bad - I just rarely bother going to matches on CC's anywhere. You can also get tickets the day of at the window if you don't care where in CC your seat is.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:55 AM
I have gone to the Canada MS since 2001 - so Montreal twice. I prefer to go Monday till Wednesday. You get to see everybody that way, and since it's a Masters Series you are guarenteed good early round matchups.

Nobody gets a bye in this MS.

I'm hoping to go this year :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:57 AM
... The top seeds do get a bye - at least they did last year in Toronto and the year before in Montreal. ...

Perhaps they did in the past, but they haven't any year that I attended :shrug: They certainly did not get byes in Toronto last year or the year before in Montreal or I would not have watched Hewitt-Nadal in round one last year...

knight_ley
06-07-2005, 01:57 AM
I'm going this year for the first time too :woohoo:

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:58 AM

Let's all get drunk. Drinks are on bad gambler!

tennisace
06-07-2005, 01:58 AM
i have gone and i believe that the men play first round but it is my opinion to go starting on wednesday because that is usually when you can see all the big names play on the same day. What also sometimes do also is i buy tickets for the first day because that is when all the big name players usually decide to practice and i just hangout at all the practice courts.

Oops sorry, must have had a senior moment. You're right about the the seeds playing first rounds. Confusing Montreal with Miami.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:59 AM
Oops sorry, must have had a senior moment. You're right about the the seeds playing first rounds. Confusing Montreal with Miami.
Hey, it happens. You had me wondering if it wasn't me having the senior moment for a second there. ;)

tennisace
06-07-2005, 02:02 AM
Hey, it happens. You had me wondering if it wasn't me having the senior moment for a second there. ;)

I go to so many, sometimes one bleeds into the other. It doesn't help that I'm old, too. ;)

savesthedizzle
06-07-2005, 03:46 AM

Me too!! :woohoo:

DO NOT LEAVE ME IN VERMONT MARY! :lol:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-07-2005, 03:53 AM

hhmmm, this sounds like something i would say

martirogi
06-07-2005, 04:23 AM
so montreal has a subway, im assuming that means its fairly easy to get around. r there any hostels in canada? i guess ill have to go to a travel website. grr im so lazy.

savesthedizzle
06-07-2005, 04:52 AM
so montreal has a subway, im assuming that means its fairly easy to get around. r there any hostels in canada? i guess ill have to go to a travel website. grr im so lazy.

there are hostels! i believe the website is www.hostels.com and you can search around.

knight_ley
06-07-2005, 05:07 AM

sounds good to me!!!!! thanks BG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

And jess, you gotta behave or I'm kicking you outta the car... go see Dean ;)

VAMOS!

savesthedizzle
06-07-2005, 05:14 AM
sounds good to me!!!!! thanks BG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p

And jess, you gotta behave or I'm kicking you outta the car... go see Dean ;)

VAMOS!

Define for me not behaving. :devil:

bad gambler
06-07-2005, 05:50 AM

I'm happy to shout, though I'm not too sure about drinking canadian lager :scared:

Yonge
06-07-2005, 01:56 PM
I'm happy to shout, though I'm not too sure about drinking canadian lager :scared:

Not just any Canadian lager, but French-Canadian lager! :drink:

Looks like it will be MTF-invasion in Montreal this year. I will be there too :bounce:

cobalt60
06-07-2005, 03:44 PM
Me too! And the Metro is great for getting around!

pryss
06-07-2005, 03:50 PM
this will be the first tennis tournament i'll attend! i've been to Montreal 3 times this year already and i'm still excited. :woohoo:

see you there mary & jess & adelaide (who will undoubtedly appear here soon enough).

Shy
06-07-2005, 04:08 PM
The tennis stadium is only 2 minutes from the subway station.

ultraX
06-07-2005, 04:42 PM
Hi guys!!

I guess most of your questions concerning your visit of Montreal have been answered but if u need to know anything else just let me know cuz I'm currently living in the city. :)

If any you want come to see Tennis Tournament @Uniprix Stadium (unfortenatly they just changed the name. Anyway it sounds pretty odd.) The best way it's spending the whole day starting at 9:00am until 20:00. I suggest you come to see the first round cuz you'll have a chance to meet and see players practicing, exchanging some balls with others players and matches.

All I could tell you it's the atmosphere is awesome here and don't forget to bring your digital cam with ya... :D

savesthedizzle
06-07-2005, 10:33 PM
this will be the first tennis tournament i'll attend! i've been to Montreal 3 times this year already and i'm still excited. :woohoo:

see you there mary & jess & adelaide (who will undoubtedly appear here soon enough).

I've never been to Montreal, so I'm excited. It's actually my first trip to Canada too, because I don't count the time I was on a cruise leaving from Vancouver.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 10:38 PM

I would recommend staying at one of the universities instead. The price is comparable to hostels.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 10:38 PM

Hey, it's better than American ;)

knight_ley
06-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I've never been to Montreal, so I'm excited. It's actually my first trip to Canada too, because I don't count the time I was on a cruise leaving from Vancouver.

JESS! I've never been to Canada either! We win at life! Neither has Jon (if he actually goes) but Aundra has. She will be our tour guide. Plus she speaks French. Vamos!

I'm so excited!!!!! :woohoo:

savesthedizzle
06-08-2005, 12:00 AM
JESS! I've never been to Canada either! We win at life! Neither has Jon (if he actually goes) but Aundra has. She will be our tour guide. Plus she speaks French. Vamos!

I'm so excited!!!!! :woohoo:

I can say bonjour. The end. lol.

Ohhh so now I'm making it past Vermont it seems. All the way to New Hampshire even.

knight_ley
06-08-2005, 01:52 AM
I can say bonjour. The end. lol.

Ohhh so now I'm making it past Vermont it seems. All the way to New Hampshire even.

it all depends on your prompt service of cc videotapes to arrive at my house :angel:

vamos! i'm excited!!!

savesthedizzle
06-08-2005, 01:54 AM
it all depends on your prompt service of cc videotapes to arrive at my house :angel:

vamos! i'm excited!!!

Don't worry. You won't die before you get your beloved Carlos Costa w/Feli tapes. And I will even send you Rome.

jetzt
06-08-2005, 01:57 AM
I would recommend staying at one of the universities instead. The price is comparable to hostels.

I totally agree. I stayed at Concordia 2 summers ago and we had a big room (we were only 2). Beds were so comfortable. And there were 2 fridges in our room. It's very useful if you don't have a lot of money. you can buy food instead of going to restaurants.

bad gambler
06-08-2005, 02:01 AM
I'm staying in Queen Elizabeth :p

cedez
06-08-2005, 03:59 AM

The universities sound like a good deal. Where would I find more info about staying at one???

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 04:03 AM
I totally agree. I stayed at Concordia 2 summers ago and we had a big room (we were only 2). Beds were so comfortable. And there were 2 fridges in our room. It's very useful if you don't have a lot of money. you can buy food instead of going to restaurants.

I stayed there too. Maybe we were on the same floor :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 04:03 AM
I'm staying in Queen Elizabeth :p
I wonder who gave you that idea!

Do me a huge favour and eat at the "Beaver Club".

Shy
06-08-2005, 04:58 AM
YOU guys can stay at the Montreal Universities residence too. It is closer.

jetzt
06-13-2005, 01:56 PM
The universities sound like a good deal. Where would I find more info about staying at one???

you can have details for Corcordia here: http://residence.concordia.ca/summer.html

I stayed there too. Maybe we were on the same floor

I was on the second floor I think. But I didn't stay long. I was in Montreal only for the Radiohead concert.

hablovah19
06-13-2005, 04:09 PM
Damn. I'll be back in Montreal too!!! :bounce:

Maybe I'll be able to spot some of you on my TV, if you act all crazy and give me a description of yourself ;) :lol: :wavey:

(I went to the tournie last year but in Toronto with my sis. This year I have no one to go with and most importantly no money :p )

Caitlin
06-13-2005, 06:21 PM
I believe I'm going for the first time this year too! It's funny that so many people are going to this tournament. I hope it's fun...

savesthedizzle
06-13-2005, 07:23 PM
Damn. I'll be back in Montreal too!!! :bounce:

Maybe I'll be able to spot some of you on my TV, if you act all crazy and give me a description of yourself ;) :lol: :wavey:

(I went to the tournie last year but in Toronto with my sis. This year I have no one to go with and most importantly no money :p )

I'll be the girl going nuts with a Spanish flag the first couple days :)

knight_ley
06-13-2005, 07:55 PM

I'll be right next to her with the German flag... :lol:

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-13-2005, 11:45 PM
I went in 2003 and I want to go this year!

gogo_guga
06-14-2005, 01:23 AM
Does anyone know where the players stay?
Last year, I went to Toronto and stayed where Joachim Johansson was staying. I was sooo mad though cuz Tommy Haas and Andre Agassi, who had also stayed at the hotel, left the day before I arrived.

YoursTruly
06-14-2005, 02:28 AM
I haven't attended there yet, even though it's 4-5 hours by car

NYCtennisfan
06-14-2005, 06:23 AM
I have been many times to Montreal and Toronoto but never seen the tennis there. I hope to do so soon. You should have a lot of fun. Everyone says that it is a great tournament.

BG, what are you doing in Canada in August?

bad gambler
06-14-2005, 06:27 AM
BG, what are you doing in Canada in August?

I'm going to the Boston and New York during that time, I've never been to Montreal so figured it was a good excuse for me to go. Unfortunately I will only be able to go for the first few days of the tournament.

Chloe le Bopper
06-14-2005, 06:29 AM
Those are the best days to go, don't worry.

NYCtennisfan
06-14-2005, 06:35 AM
I'm going to the Boston and New York during that time, I've never been to Montreal so figured it was a good excuse for me to go. Unfortunately I will only be able to go for the first few days of the tournament.

Great! You'll have a lot of fun and some great adventures. What time will you be in New York? I'm gone away a lot on business but I might be around then.

hablovah19
06-14-2005, 08:09 AM

:cool: I will try to spot you :haha:

I'm sure you will have a blast in Montreal :wavey: