World Team Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

World Team Tennis

khyber
06-07-2005, 01:02 AM
Has anyone been to a WTT match? I got a mailing for the upcoming season and the only reason I am considering going to a match is that it will feature the team with Pat Rafter. I never had a chance to see Pat live, but always enjoyed his game and his attitude.

The thing is, I don't like staged stuff like charity exhibitions. (nothing against charity, just not my cup of tea).I want to see tennis, not fake clowning around, so can someone tell me what to expect?

Thanks,

the cat
06-07-2005, 01:12 AM
I've been to a World Team Tennis match and enjoyed myself. :D I even met Maria Sharapova and her IMG agent Max Eisenbud and got to talk to them. Kyhber, I think you will enjoy yourself if you can handle the upbeat atmosphere and loud music. :rocker: If you want to meet Patrick Rafter you should get to the WTT match early and you might get lucky. I wrote an article in 2002 called "Metting Maria Sharapova". I met her at WTT match. And the article is located aty http://mariaworld.net/art11702.htm. I hope my information helps you out.

gsm
06-07-2005, 02:05 AM
really enjoyed your article cat , especially this paragraph;

http://mariaworld.net/art11702.htm :

I hoped to get Maria to sign an autograph for a good friend of mine in Vancouver. WTA World knows her as Sharky (Sue). So I had printed up a couple photos of Maria from the internet, just in case I ran into her. I had the photos in a manila folder. And I showed her the first one. She was very nice and seemed interested in the photos! So she signed a couple. Then to my astonishment, Maria asked me if she could keep one of the photos! I told her that was my favorite photo of her. But she wanted it. So how could I say nyet to her? I couldn't. Then I remembered to ask Maria to personalize an autograph for Sue (Sharky). And she did. "To Sue, Best Wishes, Maria Sharapova". But I was a little flustered at her wanting one of the photos, causing my train of thought to be de-railed! So I forgot to ask her to personalize an autograph for me! LOL! But not Sue! Then while Maria was on her way to the practice court about 100 yards away, she asked me where I got the photo. I told her Kournikovadotcom.com.

tennisace
06-07-2005, 02:14 AM
It's definitely better then a hit and giggle, but nowhere near as intense as a tour level event. We have a team in my hometown and I've gone once or twice. Atmosphere is like what you'd see at a minor league baseball game then at Yankee Stadium. They encourage the fans to shout stuff like "double, double" after a player faults on the first. Stuff like that. And the scoring is weird.

I did go last year to Phili to see Pat play, and have tickets to see him again in Mamaroneck and Phili. Only going because of him. He could sit on the bench all night and I'd still go - just to stare. :)

Breakaway
06-07-2005, 02:17 AM
I will be seeing Martina Hingis this year! :D :bounce:

tennisace
06-07-2005, 02:27 AM
"I never had a chance to see Pat live, but always enjoyed his game and his attitude"

If you've never seen him you should definitely go. He was great to watch last year. He played one set of singles, one set of dubs and a set of mixed dubs. And played pretty well, considering he hadn't be on court for awhile. He also stayed after the match for a good hour and signed for anyone who asked.

euroka1
06-07-2005, 02:30 AM
"I never had a chance to see Pat live, but always enjoyed his game and his attitude"

If you've never seen him you should definitely go. He was great to watch last year. He played one set of singles, one set of dubs and a set of mixed dubs. And played pretty well, considering he hadn't be on court for awhile. He also stayed after the match for a good hour and signed for anyone who asked.

Yes, he's a great person and sadly missed.

khyber
06-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Thanks to all for the personal experiences and recommendations.

Fumus
06-07-2005, 04:05 PM
I will be seeing Martina Hingis this year! :D :bounce:

Really me too. I live right across the street from where they play in Schenectady. I am going to see Courier and Hingis...oh and Brian Vahaly is on our team too...the NY Buzz..lol

tennisace
06-07-2005, 04:13 PM
Really me too. I live right across the street from where they play in Schenectady. I am going to see Courier and Hingis...oh and Brian Vahaly is on our team too...the NY Buzz..lol

My hometime team too, But I liked it better when they had the tourney there the week before the Open. And it was free!

Fumus
06-07-2005, 04:15 PM
My hometime team too, But I liked it better when they had the tourney there the week before the Open. And it was free!

They had one last year for the women it was for players just inside or outside the top hundred. It was wicked cool and the final was in the WTT stadium thingie.

the cat
06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks gsm.

Tennisace described WTT well by saying it's better than a hit and giggle event but not as intense at a tour event. That's the truth.

Have fun Breakaway and I hope Martina Hingis plays well for you. :tennis:

Are you going to go to the WTT event Kyber? The input you've been given in this thread should help you to decide.

tennisace
06-07-2005, 04:21 PM
They had one last year for the women it was for players just inside or outside the top hundred. It was wicked cool and the final was in the WTT stadium thingie.

I know, but I don't watch the women. Anywhere.

Fumus
06-07-2005, 04:26 PM
I know, but I don't watch the women. Anywhere.

I did...yea they were pretty awesome.

khyber
06-07-2005, 04:52 PM
Are you going to go to the WTT event Kyber? The input you've been given in this thread should help you to decide.After reading what you all had to say I thought I would go... then I logged onto the Newport Breakers web site to check on tickets and found the following:

Individual match tickets will not be sold for Anna Kournikova (July 7), Patrick Rafter (July 11), and Maria Sharapova (July 23) matches. :mad:

You have to buy tickets to others matches in order to see any of these and I won't do that, I just want to see Rafter. I suppose I can always just show up for the Rafter match and try to buy a scalper's ticket, since I assume that someone will have a spare ticket to dispose of. We'll see how I feel about it at the time.

tennisace
06-07-2005, 05:10 PM
After reading what you all had to say I thought I would go... then I logged onto the Newport Breakers web site to check on tickets and found the following:

Individual match tickets will not be sold for Anna Kournikova (July 7), Patrick Rafter (July 11), and Maria Sharapova (July 23) matches. :mad:

You have to buy tickets to others matches in order to see any of these and I won't do that, I just want to see Rafter. I suppose I can always just show up for the Rafter match and try to buy a scalper's ticket, since I assume that someone will have a spare ticket to dispose of. We'll see how I feel about it at the time.

Really, that sucks. They're not doing that at the other venues Pat's playing at. I got a single box seat for just those two nights. If it was me though, I'd buy the package (I'll go anywhere, spend anything to see him) and then scalp the tickets I didn't want. There are definitely some people out there that would pay to see Ahna & The Screecher.

the cat
06-07-2005, 10:15 PM
That's too bad Khyber. But I hope you can still get a ticket to see Rafter play WTT. :)