If Safin misses Wimbledon.... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Safin misses Wimbledon....

BAMJ6
06-06-2005, 07:48 PM
I think it gives 2 30 something year old players final chances to go deep into Wimbledon.

Tim Henman because he gets a Top 8 seed and a good quarterfinal draw. Maybe even avoiding big bad Fed and getting Nadal or Roddick in the said quarters.

And my favorite player Andre. a top 5 seed away from 3 things that could doom him.

clay,
pain because he gets a cortisone shot to last before the US Open.
and big bad Fed because he'd end up on the other side of a possible good draw.

Also he has no points to lose in Wimbledon

robinhood
06-06-2005, 07:56 PM
If Marat skips Wimbledon, it won't affect much except for the seeding.
But from reading other threads regarding Wimbledon seeding, I think Henman is going to be in Top 8 no matter what. (They use their own special formula, remember?)
Anyhow I hope Marat plays though.

jtipson
06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
If Marat withdrew, Andre would be likely to be seeded 5, but that gives him 25% chance of a quarter-final with Roger, just as it would if he were 6th. Same for Henman.

Sandra
06-06-2005, 08:01 PM
If Marat skips Wimbledon i will cry a lot :bigcry:!

lau
06-06-2005, 08:03 PM
If Marat misses Wimbly, I won`t be interested in it... :sad: Unless David reaches the final again..... :rolleyes: :unsure:
MMMmmm, I`ll watch it anyway ;)

BAMJ6
06-06-2005, 08:07 PM
If Marat withdrew, Andre would be likely to be seeded 5, but that gives him 25% chance of a quarter-final with Roger, just as it would if he were 6th. Same for Henman.

But in the just finished French Open, Andre was seeded 6, but ended on the other side of the draw. If he moves up 1, what makes him 1/4 likely to face Fed in quarters. I understand Wimby's seeding is different, but i'd expect a Fed semi draw, not a quarter for moving up 1 seed.

Henman is more likely for a Quarter Fed draw, though i hope he avoids Fed until the semis at least.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 08:13 PM
The top four seeds draw 5-8 seeds randomly.
So the draw can be in any kind of combination at quarterfinal stage.
1 vs 8, 3 vs 5, 2 vs 6, etc. Nobody knows until the draw is revealed.
Andre was unlucky to draw Roger in both USO 04 and AO 05 quarters when he was playing some good tennis, but then he ends up in the opposite half of the draw in FO where he loses in the first round.
If he is playing in Wimbledon, he definitely needs the luck of good draw now.

lucashg
06-06-2005, 08:45 PM
I prefer Henman or Agassi to be Federer's opponent in a possible SF than J. Johansson, definitely. :p

robinhood
06-06-2005, 08:47 PM
Oh no. Anyone but Pim Pim. Please.

max122
06-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Definitley Agassi VS Fredrer.. I wont agassi to win so bad!

Skyward
06-06-2005, 08:57 PM
But in the just finished French Open, Andre was seeded 6, but ended on the other side of the draw. If he moves up 1, what makes him 1/4 likely to face Fed in quarters. .

Numbers 5, 6, 7, 8 have equal chances to draw Federer in the QF, unless the draw is fixed. ;)

rofe
06-06-2005, 09:28 PM
You guys are assuming that Fed reaches the QF/SF. For all you know, he may crash out of Wimbly because he won't be able to bear the thought of meeting another birthday boy in the semis. :devil:

lina_seta
06-06-2005, 09:43 PM
You guys are assuming that Fed reaches the QF/SF. For all you know, he may crash out of Wimbly because he won't be able to bear the thought of meeting another birthday boy in the semis. :devil:

dont count on it ;)
its his fav GS tourney by a light year distance

alfonsojose
06-07-2005, 03:12 AM
i think Andre will withdraw :sad: