Safin wins but says knee may force him to skip Wimbledon [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Safin wins but says knee may force him to skip Wimbledon

safinaferrero
06-06-2005, 04:32 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :eek: :eek: :eek: :sad: :sad:
http://cbs.sportsline.com/tennis/story/8539167/rss

Neely
06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
His movement after this slip which he had to endure during midway the 2nd set didn't look like the best. He was holding his knee after that and it looked as if this slip made it worse than before.

alfonsojose
06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Wimbledon makes u bend a lot, so i think it's the best. It's time for him to do a better U.S. hard court season, so rest and get well soon, Marat

the cat
06-06-2005, 04:46 PM
Marat needs to get used to moving on grass courts. But the left knee problem is a worry. I was hoping after he won Oz that he would have a dream year. But it's not turning out like that. :( If at some point Marat has to get knee surgery he should do it right after the U.S. Open so he can be ready to defend his Australian Open title next year.

safinaferrero
06-06-2005, 05:22 PM
yeah you're right hope he will be ok for the US open

ys
06-06-2005, 05:34 PM
Too bad.. But one thing that everyone should have learnt already by now.. Not taking what Marat says at post-match press-conference at face value..

``It's an option to withdraw from Wimbledon, but it's a big tournament, a lot of points. I might do well there.''

This statement really sums it up.. What does being injured and having to withdraw from the tournament have to do with how big tournament is and how many points it is worth.. If you are committed and fit, you play. If you are not or not, you don't..

safinaferrero
06-06-2005, 05:42 PM
:unsure: yeah maybe........ :rolleyes:

*Ljubica*
06-06-2005, 05:57 PM
I really hope Marat is fit enough to play at Wimbledon. I know grass isn't his favourite surface, but I'm sure he could do well here in England. Hope he gets well soon.

mickymouse
06-06-2005, 06:01 PM
I remember him saying last year that he's not coming back to Wimbledon

Kosm
06-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Press-Conference with Marat Safin

It was your first match on grass since a long while. What was the feeling to win on grass?

Pretty good. Well, for the first match it was quite ok. I wasnít able to practice the week before, just because I have problems with my knee. Itís really tough and itís really painful when youíre standing on the court, or especially when youíre doing some fitness or no matter what you do. It was just very painful to serve and to move on the sides. So I want to take a couple of days rest, take some medication and have some treatment. I came yesterday, stood on the court for only one hour yesterday and for half an hour today Ė therefore it was ok.

What do you plan to do with this injury know?

Well, I have to discuss with the doctors here and I have to think about it. What I have to do depends on if itís really a serious injury or not. Nobody can give you a right answer how long itís gonna take, if itís gonna take three month or if I gonna take an injection for one day. What I know is that itís very painful every day. I need to sit down with the doctors just to decide wheather I play or will stop for a couple of month. Itís very painful and I wonít play longer with this pain.

So it is possible that you take a long rest?

I hope not but you donít know, because Iíve been having these problems for past two month and I really cannot serve and play the kind I wish to. But itís gonna be a tough decision, because itís in the middle of the season and a big tournament is coming right know. You can make a lot of points, and with a good draw you might make good results there. So you want to be prepared and you want to play pretty well. But unfortunately the tour and the years are really too long. You have not enough time to rest and to recover from injuries, thatís why Iím suffering. To make the right decision is really tough, because always some people say, you have to try and defeat the pain. But this is not my game to suffer on the court for three hours playing with the pain. Then you always have to be concentrated what youíre doing and how youíre doing, because you donít want to make some certain movements. Itís difficult

:sad:

lau
06-06-2005, 06:18 PM
Too bad.. But one thing that everyone should have learnt already by now.. Not taking what Marat says at post-match press-conference at face value..

``It's an option to withdraw from Wimbledon, but it's a big tournament, a lot of points. I might do well there.''

This statement really sums it up.. What does being injured and having to withdraw from the tournament have to do with how big tournament is and how many points it is worth.. If you are committed and fit, you play. If you are not or not, you don't..
Things are more complicated than that (I`m not trying to defend anyone. I don`t defend him just because he`s my avatar ;)). If you`re a pro player you tend to risk more in important tournaments (Puerta played the final knowing previously that he was injured). And pro tennis is about points and how important tournaments are. We might like it or not, but we`re not the ones who are on court. ;)

Tennis Fool
06-06-2005, 06:27 PM
Paraphrasing JMac, the knee hurts more when your losing or not playing your best surface. A little coincidental that he has to withdraw from the tournament he hates due to a knee problem he had before the FO?

lau
06-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Paraphrasing JMac, the knee hurts more when your losing or not playing your best surface. A little coincidental that he has to withdraw from the tournament he hates due to a knee problem he had before the FO?
I totally agree. I really don`t think he would consider withdraw from RG, for example. :rolleyes: But it`s a fact that pro players tend to risk more in important tournaments. And from what I heard (I didn`t watch the match), this time the knee was really bothering him and it hurt. Maybe someone saw it and could tell us if it`s true. In RG, apart from the the tape in it, it didn`t seem to bother him..

star
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
From what Marat says, and I have no reason to doubt him, he's been carrying this injury for a couple of months. He's got to make the decision when it is right for him to take some time off. It sounds as if he's struggling with that decision right now. I think this is something a lot of players sruggle with. I know Guga took so much flack for not playing Wimbledon some years, but he was suffering and for him skiping the grass season was a reasonable time to take a break rather than in the clay season.

adele
06-06-2005, 06:40 PM
I really REALLY hope he's gonna be fine soon...

It would be terrible if he has be off for months / year!!!

safinaferrero
06-06-2005, 07:18 PM
yeah it will be terrible for him to have the same year like 2003 when he was out for almost all the season :(
DAVAI MARAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lucashg
06-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, if he's injured then he should treat it right away and make sure he's in his best form. I think it's better to do this now, he doesn't have much to defend until the indoors season. He has to be ready by then.

Get well, Safin!

NYCtennisfan
06-06-2005, 09:09 PM
I really want to see Marat at Wimby and see him do well but it looks like he has almost already made up his mind that he will not be making much noise there so might as well pull out and rest. He will have to bend his knees a lot to hit back the low skidding balls so that might aggravate things. All in all, it's probably best that he rests up and gets healthy for the hardcourt season.

Damita
06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
I remember him saying last year that he's not coming back to Wimbledon
nah he was pissed when he lost but then he said he would come back... but he wouldn't make as many efforts as he used to as obviously whether he does train on grass or not makes no difference at the end: he loses early :o (Marat, it's all in your head! :smash: )

Wimbledon makes u bend a lot, so i think it's the best. It's time for him to do a better U.S. hard court season, so rest and get well soon, Maratagreed.
the hard-court season is when he can get more points. and he should really take care of his knee before it becomes really serious :unsure:

Scotso
06-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Seems karma may force him to miss the tournament he originally promised to never play again :p