AP: TV Ratings for French Open Stays Steady [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

AP: TV Ratings for French Open Stays Steady

Deboogle!.
06-06-2005, 03:47 PM
So for both finals, 6% of televisions turned on at the time watched tennis :o
-----------------------
TV Ratings for French Open Stays Steady

The Associated Press

NBC's telecast of Rafael Nadal's victory over Mariano Puerta in the men's final of the French Open on Sunday drew an overnight rating of 2.0, close to the usual number for a major tennis final without Americans.

Belgian Justine Henin-Hardenne's victory over Mary Pierce of France in the women's final on Saturday drew a 1.9 rating. Both championship matches earned a share of six.

Last year's men's final at Wimbledon, when American Andy Roddick lost to Roger Federer, drew a 3.6 rating on NBC. But the U.S. Open final, in which Federer of Switzerland beat Australian Lleyton Hewitt, drew a 2.5 on CBS.

Last year's all-Argentinian final in the French Open had a rating of 2.1

The rating is the percentage of all homes with TVs, whether or not they are in use. The share is the percentage of in-use televisions tuned to a given show. Overnight ratings measure the 55 largest TV markets in the United States, covering nearly 70 percent of the country.

the cat
06-06-2005, 03:56 PM
I guess it's good news that the American ratings stayed steady in America for the 2005 French Open. What were the Wimbledon ratings last year Debstah? Do you know? I would assume they were much higher than a 2.0 or 2.1.

Deivid23
06-06-2005, 03:58 PM
41% TV share in Spain for men´s final. Almost 6.5 million people watched final games and ceremony trophy here. I think this is a new record for a tennis match in Spain (not sure about that Arancha-Graf)

Angle Queen
06-06-2005, 04:02 PM
6% doesn't sound too bad to me, actually, considering it's of all households...TV on or not. Hope it's enough to keep the networks interested.

jtipson
06-06-2005, 04:12 PM
41% TV share in Spain for men´s final. Almost 6.5 million people watched final games and ceremony trophy here. I think this is a new record for a tennis match in Spain (not sure about that Arancha-Graf)

Now that's impressive. Probably the UK would get something like that if Henman were ever in the Wimbledon final ;)

Devotee
06-06-2005, 04:43 PM
So for both finals, 6% of televisions turned on at the time watched tennis :o
-----------------------
TV Ratings for French Open Stays Steady

The Associated Press

NBC's telecast of Rafael Nadal's victory over Mariano Puerta in the men's final of the French Open on Sunday drew an overnight rating of 2.0, close to the usual number for a major tennis final without Americans.

That's an annoying stat for those of us whose lives sometimes (or always) revolve around tennis!

croat123
06-06-2005, 05:07 PM
i think it was 80% in croatia when goran won wimbledon :)

Raquel
06-06-2005, 05:09 PM
The combined UK ratings for the French Open final was 2.58 million and a 16.2% share (2.1 million and 12% on BBC2 and 0.48 million and 4.2% on Eurosport).

It was the highest rated show on Eurosport for the day.

jtipson
06-06-2005, 05:36 PM
The combined UK ratings for the French Open final was 2.58 million and a 16.2% share (2.1 million and 12% on BBC2 and 0.48 million and 4.2% on Eurosport).

It was the highest rated show on Eurosport for the day.

It would have been more if the BBC had aired it live instead of giving us a highlights program about 30 mins after the match. They manage to broadcast the entire (dreadful again) women's final live.

Clara Bow
06-06-2005, 05:45 PM
I can't help but think that the ratings for Sunday's final would have been higher in the US if the media here and the commentators on Saturday did not keep saying that the Federer/Nadal match was the de-facto final.

If the commentators are implying on Saturday that Sunday's match will be a blow out- I can not but help to think that that is not the best way to intice viewers.

Deboogle!.
06-07-2005, 12:15 AM
6% doesn't sound too bad to me, actually, considering it's of all households...TV on or not. Hope it's enough to keep the networks interested.No, it was only 2.0% of TVs that were on OR off. 6% of TVs that were on.

the cat, in the article it says that Wimbledon got a 3.6 rating, meaning that 3.6% of TVs that were on OR off at the time were watching the mens wimbledon final last year - so 1.6% more than watched RG this year (in other words, not that much of a difference lol)

Skyward
06-07-2005, 12:17 AM
How am I supposed to get the damn TC in my area with such ratings? :sad:

PamV
06-07-2005, 12:26 AM
In my area of Florida they did not air the Men's final on Sunday at all. Every year the local NBC channel plays an all day telethon instead of the FO final.