I MADE IT TO WERTHEIM ON MY FIRST MAIL TO HIM!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I MADE IT TO WERTHEIM ON MY FIRST MAIL TO HIM!!!

Hagar
06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
I just got the shock of my life when I read the topic about Wertheim's 50 remarks: MY NAME IS MENTIONED IN IT!!!

"7. On his 25th birthday Marat Safin beat Federer in the Australian Open semifinals. On his 19th birthday, Nadal beat Federer in the French Open semifinals. Coincidence? Hildegard Vandromme of Brussels notes that Joachim Johansson has a birthday on July 1. Hmmm."

So now you all know what my real name is.

Héhé... :D

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 09:48 AM
He has never published anything I have written to him, but I won't expect anything else.

Congrats Hagar.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Wait a minute. What proof have you got to support your claim to be "Hildegard Vandromme of Brussels"? For all we know, you could be my nextdoor neighbor whatever her name is...

Ah just kidding. I'm just jealous.
Must be thrilled. Congrats Hagar! :D

Hagar
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
He has never published anything I have written to him, but I won't expect anything else.

Congrats Hagar.

For the record, in my mail to him I also mentioned that Gustavo Kuerten has his birthday on the semi of the US Open AND that "several posters of the www.menstennisforums.com had come up with these trivia", so I did not forget you guys!

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 09:58 AM
For the record, in my mail to him I also mentioned that Gustavo Kuerten has his birthday on the semi of the US Open AND that "several posters of the www.menstennisforums.com had come up with these trivia", so I did not forget you guys!

Then again you are not pulling him up on his mistakes. I know he stole an idea from when we had a discussion about the top 10 claycourt players of all time.

its.like.that
06-06-2005, 10:09 AM
who is this wertheim character?

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 10:10 AM
who is this wertheim character?

Jon Worthless is what he should be called, he is a tennis writer for Sports Illustrated and Tennis Fool is related to him.

its.like.that
06-06-2005, 10:11 AM
Jon Worthless is what he should be called, he is a tennis writer for Sports Illustrated and Tennis Fool is related to him.
:lol: thanks.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I don't know, I like Wertheim. Or I don't mind him, I should say.
His mailbags are better than nothing, and he tends to answer very thoroughly.

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 10:22 AM
:lol: thanks.

No probs, he is a fool albeit one that tries hard.

its.like.that
06-06-2005, 10:24 AM
whats his email address?

robinhood
06-06-2005, 10:25 AM
whats his email address?

I have no idea. Hagar should know though.

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 10:26 AM
whats his email address?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/writers/jon_wertheim/06/05/frenchopen.50.thoughts/index.html

It should be somewhere there and there is a link to his mailbag.

bad gambler
06-06-2005, 10:29 AM
Im not sure congratulations is in order for being mentioned in any of the dribble that wertheim writes :confused:

robinhood
06-06-2005, 10:32 AM
Im not sure congratulations is in order for being mentioned in any of the dribble that wertheim writes :confused:

It's still about 3 seconds of fame, if you will.
Getting your name published in a real article. :angel:

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM

Too bad you are in India when I come to Sydney, as I have to buy you a few beers and I was even prepared to change my Puerta status of this year.

megadeth
06-07-2005, 12:02 AM
not to take anything away from you, but i got into to wertheim about 5 times asking questions and contributed 2 long lost siblings:

1. oded fehr and ivanisevic
2. christopher reeve and sjeng shalken

robinhood
06-07-2005, 12:07 AM
not to take anything away from you, but i got into to wertheim about 5 times asking questions and contributed 2 long lost siblings:

You just stole Hagar's thunder!! :tape:

Seleshfan
06-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Not to take anything away from either of you, but I got into the Ann Landers column at least half a dozen times. :)

Edit to add: That is before her untimely death of course. Would never write to those wannabe's at Annie's Mailbox.

robinhood
06-07-2005, 12:09 AM
More thunder stealing!!

Scotso
06-07-2005, 12:10 AM
Congratulations ;)

PamV
06-07-2005, 12:46 AM
I didn't see his email address offered any where in the link.

Skyward
06-07-2005, 12:51 AM
I'm surprised that somebody is actually writing him. I thought he was making up those questions for his own entertainment. :)

Clara Bow
06-07-2005, 01:48 AM
christopher reeve and sjeng shalken

Ha ha! I remember that. I recall thinking, "now that you mention it - long lost twins!'

My-sister-in-law got one of her questions in the mailbag earlier this year. She called to tell me because she know that I was the only person she know who would get excited about it.

megadeth
06-07-2005, 01:51 AM
i have another one: although wertheim didn't publish it...

raymond (from the show "everybody loves raymond") and guillermo canas...

Clara Bow
06-07-2005, 01:53 AM
I keep meaning to send in Fernando Gonzalez and Benicio del Torro.

Megadeth, your success has inspired me- I will send it in. ;)

jmp
06-07-2005, 01:56 AM
I just got the shock of my life when I read the topic about Wertheim's 50 remarks: MY NAME IS MENTIONED IN IT!!!

"7. On his 25th birthday Marat Safin beat Federer in the Australian Open semifinals. On his 19th birthday, Nadal beat Federer in the French Open semifinals. Coincidence? Hildegard Vandromme of Brussels notes that Joachim Johansson has a birthday on July 1. Hmmm."

So now you all know what my real name is.

Héhé... :D

You're such a fun poster. :D I'm happy you were mentioned. :smooch:

megadeth
06-07-2005, 02:00 AM

yea, it's really fun! good luck! once i tried to kid him with this long lost sibling:

wertheim and william shatner! haha! you can bet he didn't publish that! :p

Tennisfan1981
06-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Why are some of you guys saying that Wertheim is worthless and writes pure drivel? I always like reading his mailbag even if I don't always agree with him.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-07-2005, 05:49 AM
Hagar :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

Lynne
06-07-2005, 05:53 AM
Congrats Hagar! :)

I made it once in 2003 asking about Kim and Justine.. forgot what the exact question was... hehe..

Sparko1030
06-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Way to go Hagar! I've sent a few in too but the only thing of mine he's used was a response to a non tennis question he had about young children and games. I was still happy though!

Sparko1030
06-07-2005, 06:25 AM

I've always thought that about Fernando too! Also like Brad Pitt with dark hair.

Hagar
06-07-2005, 05:53 PM
yea, it's really fun! good luck! once i tried to kid him with this long lost sibling:

wertheim and william shatner! haha! you can bet he didn't publish that! :p

LOL.

Hagar
06-07-2005, 05:55 PM
You just stole Hagar's thunder!! :tape:

Not really coz when I wrote him I was not even sure I was using the correct email or anything as I found some possibility to send him something on a page dating from 1999.
Funny thing is that not even a day later, I read my name in his wrap-up of the French. I have to say it's rather scary to all of a sudden meet yourself on the Internet. :eek:

Jennay
06-07-2005, 06:01 PM
:yeah:

jmp
06-07-2005, 09:42 PM
Why are some of you guys saying that Wertheim is worthless and writes pure drivel? I always like reading his mailbag even if I don't always agree with him.

I think I love to hate Jon. He's the only nationally read tennis guy in the US. He can be fluffy and off base some times. But, he sheds light on college tennis, doubles and juniors. Overall, I think he's good for the sport and its fans. I can enjoy his work without agreeing with him. He was my life line to tennis years ago before I found MTF/WTAWorld. Now, I find that he covers things we've already discussed in depth. Still, I'm glad he's around.

One more time, Jon... NO THREE SETTERS IN MAJORS!!!! :fiery:

Damita
06-07-2005, 10:36 PM
I have to say it's rather scary to all of a sudden meet yourself on the Internet. :eek:
:lol:
well done Hagar :yeah:

tangerine_dream
06-07-2005, 10:58 PM
I always have to laugh at the fools who sneer down on Wertheim by calling him "worthless".

Here's this supposedly inept guy (according to those who call him "worthless") who writes about sports and tennis for a living at a major publication, while all the "real tennis experts" are reduced to posting their superior knowledge on an anoynous tennis messageboard all day long with no added byline.

vincayou
06-07-2005, 11:20 PM

I like him. Well, maybe not, I'm not sure. I just like all the people who write something about tennis.

Sparko1030
06-08-2005, 07:05 AM
I always have to laugh at the fools who sneer down on Wertheim by calling him "worthless".

Here's this supposedly inept guy (according to those who call him "worthless") who writes about sports and tennis for a living at a major publication, while all the "real tennis experts" are reduced to posting their superior knowledge on an anoynous tennis messageboard all day long with no added byline.

:hatoff:

WyveN
06-08-2005, 07:10 AM
Here's this supposedly inept guy (according to those who call him "worthless") who writes about sports and tennis for a living at a major publication

Since when are members of the media employed based on knowledge of topic?

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 09:31 AM
Good for you :)

I've made it twice that I can recall. One time was correcting his Argentina pick for DC a couple years ago - told him to lay down the crack pot and realize that Australia was taking it.

The other time was in 2003, drilling him for not talking about Rafael Nadal ;)