what's up with andy? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

what's up with andy?

megadeth
06-06-2005, 08:11 AM
andy's in the limelight lately, he can't even beat either hewitt or federer. but just 2 years ago, he was world number 1 until federer took it away from him for good.

he's now under the radar most of the time and hasn't followed up on his 2003 US Open...

i think it was a mistake to fire brad gilbert...

sierra91
06-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Article from today's Guardian posted below, but if you want the best and most incisive information about Andy, check out this thread: http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=172&page=1&highlight=duck+hunt.

Interview: Andy Roddick

Monday June 6, 2005
The Guardian

With an expression of wistful patience Andy Roddick gazed up from the dining area of Queen's Club towards an elongated TV monitor where Rafael Nadal and Mariano Puerta were knocking up for yesterday's French Open final at Roland Garros.
Roddick, who is going for a hat-trick of wins in the Stella Artois tournament this week, had come to England for the start of the grass-court season a little early after his second-round defeat by the Argentinian Jose Acasuso in Paris where, with four wins in five visits since 2001, he truly has feet of clay. "It's not my best surface, for sure, and I don't know whether I'll ever win there, though I enjoy the challenge."

At Wimbledon, which starts in a fortnight, it is a little different. He remains one of the favourites. The world No3 was runner-up last year and his record serve has been timed at 155mph - the cut-off speed for a number of performance cars. His serve, measured at a record 153 at Queen's a year ago and extended a few months later, is brutal, a real monster -perhaps it should be roaming Grimpen Mire along with the Hound of the Baskervilles instead of creating havoc on these manicured lawns. He is also the owner of a devastating forehand. But is it enough?

No one would want his race to be run when he is only 22 but there are some who feel that Roddick might struggle to win another slam after his US title two years ago. Where will the next one come from? He will never be Nadal's equal on clay and on grass Roger Federer appears to enjoy a nonchalant superiority. Then there is Lleyton Hewitt, and Marat Safin, the winner of the Australian Open at the start of the year, is another huge if inconsistent talent.

Federer, though, remains the main man. When Bettina Bunge was asked what she had learned from a number of quick defeats by Martina Navratilova she replied "How to shake hands" and most of Federer's opponents, Roddick included, have felt the same way in the past year or two.

"There are no second acts in American lives," F Scott Fitzgerald once observed, and there are some who think Roddick might already have had his strut on centre stage. The sense that he might already be glancing in life's rear-view mirror must have entered his intelligent mind but he is not letting on. "I find that talk humorous," he said, almost convincingly.

"People can't call me a one-slam wonder because I've been pretty consistent and finished No2 last year. It's not as if I've tumbled to 20. I can't remember a time when you've had four young guys who have all been No1 and all won slams. Then you throw in Nadal and Guillermo Coria and, wow, the top 10 is looking really deep right now.

"Roger has to be a clear-cut favourite for Wimbledon because he hasn't lost on grass for two years. He's the best player I've ever seen, though I didn't play Pete [Sampras] when he was at his peak. What Roger has done in tennis is very similar to what Tiger Woods has done in golf. Tiger was dominant but Vijay Singh, Ernie Els and Phil Mickelson all became better players. There's a direct correlation. We're all pushing each other to get better." He revealed something of his concerns when he added: "My goal is to win at least another slam". Only one? The Fed could well win three or four more titles at Wimbledon alone.

It is the thought of winning at the All England Club that consumes Roddick these days. "I'm hitting the ball better than I did last year. And I'm more professional with my fitness and preparation these days. But I have to do better on the return to put pressure on the server.

"I badly wanted to win the US because I had been going there since I was a kid and it was my home grand slam. But if I had to choose one tournament to win now it would be Wimbledon.

"It can be won from the back of the court and Lleyton and Andre have given us two recent examples. And the courts are slower than they were. Apart from the top seeds I think that Tim Henman and Sťbastien Grosjean could be dangerous. But this is the one I really want. I love the tradition of the place, the way it's been around forever. And the coverage it gets in England is great. In the States it comes in sixth or seventh as far as sport goes."

Being obsessive about winning Wimbledon, however, is not enough. It was not enough for the stylish and dapper Ken Rosewall, the ironically nicknamed "Muscles", whose four final defeats here were spread over 20 years.

Nor did it bring triumph for the robotic Ivan Lendl, a man who so craved a more human persona that it was once alleged he underwent surgery to remove the bolts from his neck; Lendl was beaten five times in the semis and twice in the final.

Roddick has no special plans for Federer, who also beat him in the 2003 semis. "Last year I won the first set and was a break up in the third. It will be more of the same if we meet again. He's not going to go away. I will have to take the game to him."

The pressure on Roddick has been immense. As Sampras and Andre Agassi faded from the scene he emerged as the new champion of American tennis and there has been little in the way of support.

In Paris the United States did not have a single male player in the last 32 for the second successive year, equalling their worst showing in a grand slam in the Open era. There is not much coming through either, though great things are expected of Donald Young.

"Donald is being pushed a bit fast right now. He's got a lot of potential but he's still very young and played five weeks on the pro tour without winning a set. So we've got to be patient. The pressure's been on me to come through since I was about 18."

Roddick, extrovert and aggressive, with his back-to-front baseball cap, is the all-American boy, which some might interpret as meaning his game is based on immense power and no subtlety. But there is more to Roddick than just tennis. When he became the world's leading player at the end of 2003 he was hailed as the player for the MTV generation. He is intelligent and articulate. He has presented the comedy programme Saturday Night Live and appeared on the Late Show with David Letterman.

He has a passion for music and U2, the Dave Matthews Band and John Mayer are his favourites. "Last time I came here I went to see the Chilli Peppers in concert and this time I will be going to see U2. I don't think about tennis 24/7. I enjoy time on the lake at my Florida home and just being lazy on the sofa."

When he was only nine years old he presented each member of his family with a tennis ball which he had signed, telling them to "hold on to this - it might be valuable one day".

He laughs at the memory. "I would like to think I was being extremely confident about my future. On the other hand I might have been extremely frugal. I didn't have any money and used to wrap up a lot of stuff around the house." He is tall, 6ft 2in, but he was short as a boy when he was little more than a baseline scuffler. He was born in Omaha, Nebraska, but his family moved to Texas when he was four. He was the youngest of three brothers and used to hit the ball against a garage wall. When he went in for his tea and his mother asked what he had been doing he replied: "Beating the best tennis players in the world."

At that time brother John was the tennis player of the family. Then, in 1997, Roddick sprouted and with his height came an unusual talent for serving meteorites. We will see plenty of them at Queen's and Wimbledon in the next few weeks.

Exodus
06-06-2005, 08:35 AM
Roger and Hewitt like to eat ducks lol. Andy was lucky to win the USO, Nalbandian had him until the crowd made him lose his cool.

Even he was no. 1 in the rankings in 2003, many considered Roger to be the real no. 1 in the world.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 08:44 AM
The 2003 season could, indeed, remain the best season of his career given the way things are going. I will be surprised if he adds more than 1 slam to his tally, and I think his best shot is USO.

megadeth
06-06-2005, 08:49 AM
unless he's willing to change his game for his own good, i don't think he'll win as much slams as he would have wanted.

he needs to to learn to love serving and volleying rather than be in his comfort zone off just blasting forehands so that he can end points quicker and have a higher percentage of winning points.. his power doesn't really scare much of the top 5 players now. they can just block his return, and if andy's next shot (which is more or less from the baseline) is not damaging, then andy's in deep shit...

bad gambler
06-06-2005, 10:54 AM
well he will always be a threat at wimbledon and US, but will need some luck to win it as does hewitt i.e. someone else to knock out federer for them

Purple Rainbow
06-06-2005, 01:20 PM
he can't even beat federer.

I don't know if there is any smilie available to express my feelings at this comment, but it is likely to be a combination of the following...

:unsure: Did I read that correctly?

:eek: Yes, I freaking did!!

:scratch: How could somebody possibly say that?

:retard: He or she must be a complete idiot, or has lived under a rock for 2 years.

:mad: Or this person must mean that Roger is not a good player.

:fiery: Or that Andy is better than Roger? :silly:

:tape: Either way, you should keep your mouth shut, since you appear to be bit :cuckoo:.

:shrug: But why am I wasting my time with this post anyway?

iliketennis
06-06-2005, 01:31 PM
I don't know if there is any smilie available to express my feelings at this comment, but it is likely to be a combination of the following...

:retard: He or she must be a complete idiot, or has lived under a rock for 2 years.

:tape: Either way, you should keep your mouth shut, since you appear to be bit :cuckoo:.

I think the point of megadeth's post was that if Andy can't even beat Federer or Hewitt, how can he be number 1. I don't think (s)he was taking anything away from these two great players

star
06-06-2005, 01:38 PM
John Feinstein on NPR:

"Andy Roddick is still ranked number two in the world." :)

star
06-06-2005, 01:42 PM

wow. Calm down. That comment wasn't degrading Federer. If Andy can't beat Federer, he's hardly going to get back to the top of the game. That's all the guy meant. Surely you even agree with that.

Good thing you aren't a fan of any players who regularly get bashed on this board. You'd be losing your mind. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Purple Rainbow
06-06-2005, 01:46 PM
I think the point of megadeth's post was that if Andy can't even beat Federer or Hewitt, how can he be number 1. I don't think (s)he was taking anything away from these two great players

It's pretty sure to me he was. Do I have to quote megadeth again?

Apparently megadeths post was meant to state her opinion that Andy shouldn't have fired Gilbert. Megadeth uses the argument that Andy hasn't been beating Hewitt or Federer since Brad got fired. Of course this person isn't knowledgable enough that Andy didn't beat Rogi and Hewitt even when Gibert was still his coach.
This part shows megadeths ignorance. Now on to the dismissive part of the post, beautifully expressed in the word "even". If megadeth hadn't used that word in his initial post, he would just be an ignorant poster. The inclusion of the word "even", however suddenly not only makes him ignorant, but also a dismissive, arrogant, disrespectful asshole.
You may say that it's just one word,and that I shouldn't whine about that, but a couple of years of syudying psychology have thaught me that it's those words that show a persons attitudes.

euroka1
06-06-2005, 01:53 PM
I'd like to be proved wrong in the current grass and hardcourt season but I believe that the problems are intrinsic and unlikely to go away. He cannot concentrate on executing a point for any length of time. Brute force or nothing, no subtlety. When it doesn't work, he gives up.

He needs to settle down, concentrate on the game and to abstain from wanting to be the center of attention. I don't see it happening. The fans don't help.

Oddly enough, these factors have helped getting him where he is today. There's no denying a tremendous natural talent at hitting the ball.

iliketennis
06-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Where in megadeth's post did he relate Andy's former number 1 ranking to beating Federer or Hewitt? Number 1 is not only acheivable by defeating the best players :rolleyes: Just because more than one point can be taken from a post doesn't mean that they are all relevant to each other :)

But it is perfectly understandable. Being defensive of your favourite player is only natural :hug: I'd do the same for JC or Gaston.

star
06-06-2005, 02:02 PM

Apparently megadeths post was meant to state her opinion that Andy shouldn't have fired Gilbert. Megadeth uses the argument that Andy hasn't been beating Hewitt or Federer since Brad got fired. Of course this person isn't knowledgable enough that Andy didn't beat Rogi and Hewitt even when Gibert was still his coach.
This part shows megadeths ignorance. Now on to the dismissive part of the post, beautifully expressed in the word "even". If megadeth hadn't used that word in his initial post, he would just be an ignorant poster. The inclusion of the word "even", however suddenly not only makes him ignorant, but also a dismissive, arrogant, disrespectful asshole.
You may say that it's just one word,and that I shouldn't whine about that, but a couple of years of syudying psychology have thaught me that it's those words that show a persons attitudes.

Oh my god. You'd better stick to being a Federer fan if you get twisted off about that post. :rolleyes: It seems to me to state a fact. If Andy can't even beat Federer, he can't think about being number one. There's more than Federer to beat to become number one, but Andy would have to start with him.

iliketennis
06-06-2005, 02:08 PM
Oh my god. You'd better stick to being a Federer fan if you get twisted off about that post. :rolleyes: It seems to me to state a fact. If Andy can't even beat Federer, he can't think about being number one. There's more than Federer to beat to become number one, but Andy would have to start with him.

Good job :yeah: This was the point I was trying to get across :D

Purple Rainbow
06-06-2005, 02:11 PM
Where in megadeth's post did he relate Andy's former number 1 ranking to beating Federer or Hewitt? Number 1 is not only acheivable by defeating the best players :rolleyes: Just because more than one point can be taken from a post doesn't mean that they are all relevant to each other :)

But it is perfectly understandable. Being defensive of your favourite player is only natural :hug: I'd do the same for JC or Gaston.

Let's call megadeth a he, I don't think there'll be many female megadeth fans in this world anyway.
Megadeth indeed didn't say that Roddicks #1 ranking was related to him beating Federer or Hewitt, yet his rather incongruent post appears to indicate that the Ducks firing of Brad Gilbert is somehow related to the fact that Andy hasn't been able to beat this 2 players any time lately. By implying that he forgets that Andy never beat them anyway.
Whatever the point of megadeths post, he literally said Roddick can't even beat Federer or Hewitt, which, in my humble opinion, can not be interpreted in any other way than by a dismissive attitude towards Rogi and Hewitts game.

iliketennis
06-06-2005, 02:12 PM
OK. You can keep your humble opinion then :D ;)

Purple Rainbow
06-06-2005, 02:16 PM
OK. You can keep your humble opinion then :D ;)

Okay! Guess it's not so humble today! :p

buddyholly
06-06-2005, 02:24 PM
''Roddick, with his back-to-front baseball cap...................''

That tells you when his Grauniad interviewer last watched a tennis match.

star
06-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Let's call megadeth a he, I don't think there'll be many female megadeth fans in this world anyway.
Megadeth indeed didn't say that Roddicks #1 ranking was related to him beating Federer or Hewitt, yet his rather incongruent post appears to indicate that the Ducks firing of Brad Gilbert is somehow related to the fact that Andy hasn't been able to beat this 2 players any time lately. By implying that he forgets that Andy never beat them anyway.
Whatever the point of megadeths post, he literally said Roddick can't even beat Federer or Hewitt, which, in my humble opinion, can not be interpreted in any other way than by a dismissive attitude towards Rogi and Hewitts game.

I'm a huge Hewitt fan, but this isn't upsetting me. I'll bet it doesn't even faze any other Hewitt fan either.

The phrase showed more of a frustration with Andy and was ridiculing his goal of being number one than it was expressing a dissmissive attitude toward either Hewitt or Federer.

Fumus
06-06-2005, 03:36 PM
Megadeath come to the Andy forum. We talk about this stuff all the time.

P.S. Purple Rainbow, Roger sucks ;) He's the worst player in tennis :)

tangerine_dream
06-06-2005, 04:16 PM
Megadeath come to the Andy forum. We talk about this stuff all the time.
Please don't come to the Roddick forum megadeath. We get enough trolls as it is. Keep your underhanded Roddick bashing threads in GM where they belong. Thanks.

Fumus
06-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Please don't come to the Roddick forum megadeath. We get enough trolls as it is. Keep your underhanded Roddick bashing threads in GM where they belong. Thanks.

Right like I said, please don't come to the Roddick forum. :o

Purple Rainbow
06-06-2005, 04:55 PM
I'm a huge Hewitt fan, but this isn't upsetting me. I'll bet it doesn't even faze any other Hewitt fan either.

The phrase showed more of a frustration with Andy and was ridiculing his goal of being number one than it was expressing a dissmissive attitude toward either Hewitt or Federer.

That might be true! Either way, this megadeth character still is an ingnorant or arrogant person. Probably both.

Fumus
06-06-2005, 04:59 PM
That might be true! Either way, this megadeth character still is an ingnorant or arrogant person. Probably both.

This coming from the guy who posted this

I don't know if there is any smilie available to express my feelings at this comment, but it is likely to be a combination of the following.. Did I read that correctly?

Yes, I freaking did!!

How could somebody possibly say that?

He or she must be a complete idiot, or has lived under a rock for 2 years.

Or this person must mean that Roger is not a good player.

Or that Andy is better than Roger?

Either way, you should keep your mouth shut, since you appear to be bit .

But why am I wasting my time with this post anyway?.

megadeth
06-07-2005, 12:08 AM
unbelievable. you all think i'm bashing roddick when all i'm trying to do is ask you guys what you think is wrong with him now...

my point is, he's not as effective as he used to be against top players anymore because they all figured out what weapons he has. unless he adds more to his arsenal (like a serve and volley), he will fade into the night and just win ordinary tour titles like san jose, houston, legg mason, or TD waterhouse...

megadeth
06-07-2005, 12:33 AM

I didnít specifically say that andy wasnít beating them since brad got fired. I know that he hasnít been beating them even with brad in tow, but his chances were better because of the things that brad brought to suit andyís game. Iíve been following the tour since 1990 boy and I know my tennis history so Iím not ignorant.

And how can the statement ďhe canít even beat federerĒ create so much fuss huh? I wasnít demoralizing roger off. That statement has a deeper meaning to it that obviously you knuckleheads added your own interpretations to it. it means that to be back in winning form again for andy, and to win more titles and prove his testament of belonging to the top 5, he has to start finding ways to beat roger or Hewitt because like it or not, he will come across them in the semis, or finals of a slam.

If he canít beat them, then slams, will be scarce unless someone beat them for him elsewhere in the draw. No slams, less chance of being number 1. heíll be stuck in winning tournaments that roger and hewiit normally donít join such as san jose, rca championships, Houston, etc

guida
06-07-2005, 01:22 AM
Megadeth, every Roddick fan knows he's not well. We all know there's something wrong with him and it's got NOTHING to do with his game at all. There are some serious issues that boy is going through right now which we probably will never learn about. This is nothing new and every Andy-hater has been having a field day because of it.

His results on grass will be decisive for us to reach a more definite conclusion; either he will show he's capable of fighting his own personal demons or he will go down entirely. Either way, it's kind of painful to see people bashing him like he's just lost his talent all of a sudden and not giving him credit for what he has achieved.

That said, it's obvious that he could never be an all-round talent like Fed or have Hewitt's never-say-die aggressiveness. What saddens most of us who care for him is to see that maybe (just maybe) he's finally cracking up under all that stupid responsibility the American media and fans alike have put upon him to be the next big thing in American tennis, the next Sampras or fill-in-the-blanks. It's just unfortunate for him that his generation has not produced an Agassi or a Courier to keep things in balance and ease the pressure (I mean, Mardy Fish? Robby Ginepri? James Blake? Not to say they're not talented, but give me a break.)

I know Roddick non-lovers couldn't care less, but I just had to say my piece.

bad gambler
06-07-2005, 01:27 AM
:lol:

megadeth
06-07-2005, 01:27 AM
i have nothing against roddick, in fact i like the guy becasue he's such a sport. it just pisses me off how some idiots reacted to the statement aformentioned above.

it is a sad US generation with only roddick carrying the weight. hopefuly donald young breaks through...

euroka1
06-07-2005, 02:25 AM
I know Roddick non-lovers couldn't care less, but I just had to say my piece.

Thanks for saying it, guida.

I write as a Roddick non-lover who cares a lot for other people who are in difficult situations and I think guida's message is right on. I thought the guy peaked in 2003 and I've never liked his tennis game much since. Nowadays there's just not much joy in it (cf. Nadal, even Federer). After witnessing the post-RG interview, I do think he is battling forces, only some of them team related, that are getting beyond his control. He's no longer a boy and it's time he grew up but that's essentially his problem and not our concern. We just want to see good tennis.

guida
06-07-2005, 02:39 AM
Thanks, euroka 1. You see things in a sensible and honest way. :)

guida
06-07-2005, 02:44 AM
i have nothing against roddick, in fact i like the guy becasue he's such a sport. it just pisses me off how some idiots reacted to the statement aformentioned above.

I understand. :)

it is a sad US generation with only roddick carrying the weight. hopefuly donald young breaks through...

Yes, but I think Young is being pushed too much, too soon. That might hurt him eventually (hope it doesn't, for US' tennis sake. Such a fine and age-old tradition seeming to go down the drain :awww: ).

EHG3
06-07-2005, 02:59 AM
I'm no huge Roddick fan [even if he is now a neighbour (kinda)], preferring to watch players with more craft & guile - BUT, referring to the questions about Brad Gilbert: when you can't trust a guy in your employ, it's time to part ways - & fast! - no question.

The wiser amongst us will have seen B.G.'s numerous shortcomings during the French Open on TV & Mr.Roddick had a closer view than most.

I'm sure A.R.'s natural talent will find a way to display itself soon enough.