NYT: Nadal is the Sharapova of Men's Tennis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

NYT: Nadal is the Sharapova of Men's Tennis

Tennis Fool
06-06-2005, 04:24 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 6, 2005
Barely 19, He's Got Game, Looks and Remarkably Good Manners
By CHRISTOPHER CLAREY
PARIS, June 5 - It was close to midnight on Sunday, and Rafael Nadal was sipping a glass of Champagne on a restaurant terrace with the Eiffel Tower and the golden dome of Les Invalides shimmering behind him.

Speaking softly to his parents, he wore a dark suit and a conservative tie. He bore little resemblance to the leaping, lunging, fist-clenching 19-year-old in the bandanna and the white clam-digger pants and the fluorescent green sleeveless shirt who had won the French Open tennis tournament in such eye-catching fashion a few hours before.

"I hope all this won't change me," he said, speaking in Spanish. "I would like to stay the same as I've always been. I hope that I will pull it off, and I believe I will be able to pull it off. I want to continue being a 19-year-old youngster and play my tennis."

He has played it better than anyone for the past two months: better than the world's No. 1 player, Roger Federer, the smooth Swiss whom Nadal defeated in the French Open semifinals, and better than Mariano Puerta, the unseeded Argentine whom Nadal beat in four dramatic sets in Sunday's final.

The last time a teenager won a men's Grand Slam singles title was in 1990, when Pete Sampras served his way to victory at the United States Open at age 19.

Nadal is, for the moment, at his best on slower surfaces like clay, but there is no question that he is tennis's next big thing. Spain has produced several French Open champions in the last 15 years: Sergi Bruguera, Carlos Moya, Albert Costa and Juan Carlos Ferrero. But until Nadal, it had yet to produce a true tennis star.

A native of the Mediterranean island of Majorca, the left-handed Nadal has more than heavy topspin, strong legs and remarkable nerve.

He has charisma: a swashbuckling way of covering ground on court, an expressive manner of showing his delight or disappointment, along with a gentlemanly streak that has not always been the hallmark of teenage prodigies before him like John McEnroe, Andre Agassi and, most recently, Lleyton Hewitt.

But Nadal is also difficult to ignore because of his appearance. He has long, dark hair and high cheekbones, and then there are his tennis clothes: a jarring blend of past and present, with his long white pants evoking the golden age of the game and his bright sleeveless shirts evoking nothing but the 21st century. The outfit, new this season, was the idea of his clothing sponsor, but Nadal makes no apologies. "I'm very happy with it," he said, insisting that the below-the-knee pants have had no adverse effect on his movement.

They certainly have not affected his ascent in the rankings. He has won 4 tournaments and 24 matches in a row. After starting the year at No. 46, he will rise to No. 3, behind Federer and Hewitt and ahead of Andy Roddick, the big server Nadal beat on the first day of the Davis Cup finals in Spain last December on clay. Nadal became the youngest man in the 104-year history of tennis's premier team competition to be part of a winning team.

"I imagine Andy feels a bit better about losing that match now that he's seen what Rafael is capable of this year," said Jordi Arrese, one of Spain's Davis Cup co-captains.

"I think people in Spain were expecting this victory at the French Open. And I think it will be good for tennis, because Rafa represents good values. He's a well-mannered, respectful person, and I think that sends out a good message, especially to the young."

Nadal was born into a close-knit extended family and still lives in Manacor, the second-largest city on Majorca, where some of Nadal's ancestors arrived in the 14th century.

The family is prosperous. Rafael's father, Sebastian, runs a large window company. His uncle Miguel Angel was a star soccer defender who played for Barcelona and Real Mallorca and was also a member of three World Cup teams for Spain.

Another uncle, Toni, was the one who introduced Rafael to tennis at age 3 and has remained his coach. "Sure, it's been complicated at times and it still can be, but it is also a big advantage," Rafael said of his working relationship with Toni.

Though Nadal has already earned well over $1 million in prize money, he continues to share an apartment building in one of Manacor's principal squares with his family. His grandparents live on the ground floor. Toni, his wife and three daughters live on the first floor. Sebastian and Nadal's mother, Ana Maria, live on the second floor, and Rafael and his younger sister, Maria Isabel, share the third floor.

Many top tennis players have been obliged to leave their homes and families in their teenage years to hone their games in academies or training centers. Among those to do so were Agassi, Federer, Marat Safin and Moya, who also comes from Majorca and has become one of Nadal's mentors.

Nadal was offered financial assistance by the Spanish tennis federation if he moved to the national training center near Barcelona. But the Nadals decided that Rafael should remain in Manacor, train with Toni and go to a regular secondary school.

"I always have thought, and I continue to think, that if one works hard, one can work well in many places," Toni said. "The advantage of staying with his family was big for Rafael. It was a plus, both in terms of tranquility and in terms of organization."

Toni said he began to believe that his nephew could win a Grand Slam event when he won the under-12 title of Majorca when he was 8. "He had a very good mentality, and so I thought it was possible, not probable, but possible," Toni said.

But it was not until Nadal was 12 that he made the decision to pursue tennis as a career instead of soccer, still far and away the most popular sport in Spain. His speed, aggressive instincts and athleticism made him a talented striker, but after winning the European under-12 tennis title, he knew which sport to choose. One of the first prominent players to suffer for it was the former Wimbledon champion Pat Cash, who visited Majorca for an exhibition match with Boris Becker in May 2001.

Becker withdrew with an injury, and Cash agreed to play the 14-year-old Nadal, who beat the 36-year-old Cash. The next year, Nadal turned professional and won his first match on the Tour.

In 2003, after missing the French Open with a right elbow injury, he became the youngest player to win two rounds at Wimbledon since Becker. But a more serious injury last year, a stress fracture in his left ankle, forced him to miss nearly all of the clay-court season, including the French Open. "I think if he had not been hurt last year, he would have made his big leap in the rankings then," Arrese said.

When asked how he could remain so composed under pressure, Nadal said, "The only way of finding a solution is to fight back, to move, to run, and to control that pressure."

Nadal certainly made the most of his first opportunity in Paris. The last player to win the French Open on his first attempt was Mats Wilander in 1982. Wilander was one of the people Nadal invited to his celebratory dinner Sunday night at the Cafe de l'Homme, the restaurant with the fine view of the Eiffel Tower.

Kristen
06-06-2005, 04:29 AM
Thank goodness he has an in-built "mute" button.

Nikki♥
06-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Im sure that Rafas attitude is way better than Marias so why on earth they are comparing him to a bimbo like Sharapova? When she first started out she used to have the girlie attitude that everyone liked but ever since her big success she has become an arrogant diva in my opinion. I hope Nadal wont change, not even after his French Open title.

nermo
06-06-2005, 08:53 AM
"I think people in Spain were expecting this victory at the French Open. And I think it will be good for tennis, because Rafa represents good values. He's a well-mannered, respectful person, and I think that sends out a good message, especially to the young." posted by tennisfool
i agree with that ,cuz besides good tennis ,he has good manners and represents a good example for the youth with his determination ,decency and humbleness..at the moment hes far from Sharapova in lots of things..its right she had a delighted character with those childish attitudes at wimbledon..but ithink she differed a lot since then..in both attitude and spirits ..i hope Nadal wont..cuz this kid with these manners is an idol..
so good article with a disappointing title :shrug:

robinhood
06-06-2005, 09:00 AM
I know. Not a good title at all.
Sharapova should go away.

nermo
06-06-2005, 09:07 AM
I know. Not a good title at all.sharapova should go awayposted by Robinhood

well, everyone can stay roby..she ll just have to learn to be less arrogant..maybe life ll teach her so ;) :angel:

connectolove
06-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Boy, I can't believe they are comparing him to Sharapova. Nothing to compare about!
I am glad that there are still some kids as wonderful as he is. He has been lucky that we was able to stay with his wonderful family, it makes us all understand something that we all know but that we tend to forget: our tribe is our most important circle and source of strength.

I really hope that he doesn't turn into a spoiled brat.

Ferrero Forever
06-06-2005, 09:13 AM
I am so offended that they compared Rafa to Maria. Rafa is great, she is shit. Enough said.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 09:16 AM
posted by Robinhood

well, everyone can stay roby..she ll just have to learn to be less arrogant..maybe life ll teach her so ;) :angel:

:D I've never been called Roby before.
Sounds cool~
But Sharapova should still go away. :mad:

nermo
06-06-2005, 09:22 AM
am glad that there are still some kids as wonderful as he is. He has been lucky that we was able to stay with his wonderful family, it makes us all understand something that we all know but that we tend to forget: our tribe is our most important circle and source of strength. posted by connectolove

:yeah:
i hope he doesnt turn out to spoilt brat posted by conncectolove

:yeah: :yeah: that would be a disaster

nermo
06-06-2005, 09:25 AM
I've never been called Roby before posted by Robinhood

Glad that you liked it :D

Mimi
06-06-2005, 09:29 AM
maria is not very arrogant for me, she is serious on court, she looks a lot older than her real age, so may be thats why you people find her a bit cold :confused:

the cat
06-06-2005, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the article TF. But where does the New York Times compare Nadal to Sharapova? :confused:

Princesa! dear, did you really say that about Masha? :( I'm not sure your comments are fair. Tennis champions like Sharapova need a certain level of confidence and arrogance to be a champion. And Masha is no bimbo. She's a smart cookie and a tough cookie too. But I admit she has a certain level of arrogance to her. But that will fade in time as she matures.

And PN I guess you're a member of M.A.S.H.A. like some others. I think Masha would get a kick out of M.A.S.H.A. and have a laugh about it. :lol: Or she would look to pummel all of you :mad: and send you to a Siberian Gulag! :eek: :scared: ;) As far as Masha's shrieking and grunting is concerned I think she's a bit quieter on court this year and that's good.

And remember Masha said she would try not to change after winning Wimbledon last year. And Nadal said the same thing yesterday afer winning the French Open. But he will change a little just like Sharapova did. It's inevitable. And they are human being with alot being asked of them personally and professionally.

Well said Mimi.

Not well said Robin. Just kidding. ;)

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 02:20 PM
TF, with the misleading titles again.

Nikki♥
06-06-2005, 03:24 PM
Princesa! dear, did you really say that about Masha? :( I'm not sure your comments are fair. Tennis champions like Sharapova need a certain level of confidence and arrogance to be a champion. And Masha is no bimbo. She's a smart cookie and a tough cookie too. But I admit she has a certain level of arrogance to her. But that will fade in time as she matures.

And PN I guess you're a member of M.A.S.H.A. like some others. I think Masha would get a kick out of M.A.S.H.A. and have a laugh about it. :lol: Or she would look to pummel all of you :mad: and send you to a Siberian Gulag! :eek: :scared: ;) As far as Masha's shrieking and grunting is concerned I think she's a bit quieter on court this year and that's good.

Its just typically me, Sharapova just makes me overuse foul words, she just brings out the best in the little troublemaker that I am. I have never met her but she has everything that my perfect enemy needs to have, a bad attitude and too much of a superstar behaviour and that not only on the court, a good friend of mine has met her several times already and told me that about her. Obviously he was so disappointed because he was and still is a big Sharapova fan and she treated him and the other fans who were watching her practice and asked her for autographs after she had finished like crap.

Hehehe, I think Maria just laughs about her haters as much as we laugh about her.

Siberian Gulag sounds fun to me, with my warm coat I wouldnt complain about being stuck there for some time. :p

Scotso
06-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Nadal = Personable, built, fun.

Sharapova = Bitchy, emaciated, boring.

the cat
06-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Princesa!, you're a little troublemaker? :angel: No. :( ;) I've met Maria and she was fine. Nice and low key. But that was in 2002 and I have no doubt she has changed and gotten more difficult since then because the demands on her are enormous and she's often mobbed by fans. This cannot be easy for a youngster to deal with and Sharapova is no exception. Maybe Nadal will be the exception.

As for being dissapointed by stars, I bet if we all met our favorites in life we would be dissapointed in some of them if we really got to know them. :eek:

So PN the Siberian Gulag sounds fun to you? :eek: :D You are tougher than you look. ;)

And no matter what Maria is laughing all the way to the bank. :p

Nikki♥
06-06-2005, 04:10 PM
Princesa!, you're a little troublemaker? :angel: No. :( ;) I've met Maria and she was fine. Nice and low key. But that was in 2002 and I have no doubt she has changed and gotten more difficult since then because the demands on her are enormous and she's often mobbed by fans. This cannot be easy for a youngster to deal with and Sharapova is no exception. Maybe Nadal will be the exception.

As for being dissapointed by stars, I bet if we all met our favorites in life we would be dissapointed in some of them if we really got to know them. :eek:

So PN the Siberian Gulag sounds fun to you? :eek: :D You are tougher than you look. ;)

And no matter what Maria is laughing all the way to the bank. :p

Im one tough cookie. :p

I hope that Nadal will be an exception because changing just because of success and a high media interest in yourself is totally sh-- in my opinion. Especially when it has to do with treating your fans badly because they are the ones who have been supporting and liking you from the very beginning on, through good and bad times.

Okay, everyone has his own opinions after meeting "his" celeb up close and personal. I have also made this experience before. I thought this certain singer was a dumbass and being rude while my friend thought that he was being lovely and polite. :o

RogiFan88
06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
Re: your siggy:

"Marat is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get"

Does this refer to his soft and hard centres?

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-06-2005, 04:21 PM
I don't follow Sharapova closely, but think she's a very decent girl. Never heard anything bad from her. Why there's such animosity toward her, is beyond me, I thought the comparison made in the article was a rather flattering one.

the cat
06-06-2005, 04:34 PM
She is decent, f_d. But she's far from perfect as is everyone else. I just think some people resent the tremendous amount of publicity she has gotten from the media and that she looks like she's ready for battle when she's on court.

You are a tough cookie Princesa!. You and Maria have that quality in common. :) ;) And you are right about how success and fame makes people change. It's sad but true.

connectolove
06-06-2005, 04:36 PM
There is nothing wrong with Sharapove, I am sure that she is ok, and I guess that she is just fed up with so much, and constant, attention. The comparison is not right, in my eyes, bc I think that Nadal will accomplish more than Sharapova professionaly. I may be wrong but this is how I see it, my very humble opinion.

alfonsojose
06-06-2005, 04:44 PM
Maria doesn't dig her Kotex as Nadal dig his cheese, so this is :bs: respect Maria ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-06-2005, 05:21 PM
The words Maria and Sharapova are not mentionned once in that article LOL

and I think hot men have a harder time creating casual tennis fans of people than hot women do... so TF, no, NYT probably weren't even implying he's the Sharapova of men's tennis either

mp3junkie
06-06-2005, 06:05 PM
Im sure that Rafas attitude is way better than Marias so why on earth they are comparing him to a bimbo like Sharapova? When she first started out she used to have the girlie attitude that everyone liked but ever since her big success she has become an arrogant diva in my opinion. I hope Nadal wont change, not even after his French Open title.

Very well said.

boliviana
06-06-2005, 06:16 PM
Considering how the NYT generally has such tennis coverage (heaven forbid we don't get to read about the yankees!!), it is hard to take anything they write seriously. So often all they have is a rehash of an AP online piece or glorified coverage of a Slam. Washington Post does a much better job.

In my VERY humble opinion, Sharapova is a nice girl who can have an awesome game when she is 'on'. Nadal is a nice young man who will only get better with time. Hopefully he will stay grounded and not turn into a complete idiot. I am not a huge fan of his but he is a pleasure to watch and his pure joy yesterday after winning was really very cool.

And how great was it that the match yesterday was as intense as it was for periods of time . . . I had to go out for a bit and came back fully expect to see a score similar to that of Justine on Saturday and they were just starting the second set. No one expected a different outcome but Puerta did a great job.

star
06-06-2005, 06:50 PM
awwwww It's so sweet! He invited Mats to his celebration dinner. What a sweetie.

sprinterluck
06-06-2005, 07:38 PM
awwwww It's so sweet! He invited Mats to his celebration dinner. What a sweetie.

That's cute. This is from Rafa's official interview at the RG website:

Q. To sum up what you are feeling, it's only a beginning. There are people like Wilander who are comparing you to Borg. You are still eager to play well, not only on clay, but on grass or other surfaces?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, now that mathematically I'm selected for the Masters, I will have to learn how to play on carpet. I never had good result on that surface. It's true that it's very difficult.

I would like to thank Mats Wilander for saying those things about me. I'm very pleased. But to compare me with Borg, it's not possible. My goal is to improve day after day on all surfaces. I hope that I will have a good result in Wimbledon. After that, I will keep on working to improve all the parts of my game. Apart from that, nothing has changed.

sprinterluck
06-06-2005, 07:44 PM
This article doesn't even mention Sharapova!

This is the title: Barely 19, He's Got Game, Looks and Remarkably Good Manners

If Nadal is the Sharapova of men's tennis then I'm looking forward to the new Canon commercial with Rafa slipping a camera out of his pirata pants and staring seductively urging people to "Make it a Power Shot." :p

NicoFan
06-06-2005, 07:49 PM
The words Maria and Sharapova are not mentionned once in that article LOL

and I think hot men have a harder time creating casual tennis fans of people than hot women do... so TF, no, NYT probably weren't even implying he's the Sharapova of men's tennis either

Thank you for that Mrs. Guga....the NYTs never mentioned Maria once. Don't know how the person who started this thread saw that they even implied Nadal was like Maria.

And he's definitely nothing like her (thank goodness).

And my take on Maria. When she first came up, she was sweet. Now between the endless grunts, those commercials where she's trying to look all sexy (and failing), she's become annoying. Plus (and don't know if this is true), I heard in Miami, she had the Miami officials close off some of the courts so that she didn't have to deal with the fans when she was practicing. If true, :nerner: to her...lol! (So mature of me...lol!).

lina_seta
06-06-2005, 08:51 PM
first of all... SHARAPOVA?!?!?! i mean.. nadal is better than that...

but the title in "Barely 19, He's Got Game, Looks and Remarkably Good Manners"
LOOKS??? *ahem!* or they meant looks as in his own crazy style of bright orange/green shirts + white kaki pants?

robinhood
06-06-2005, 09:02 PM
but the title in "Barely 19, He's Got Game, Looks and Remarkably Good Manners"
LOOKS??? *ahem!* or they meant looks as in his own crazy style of bright orange/green shirts + white kaki pants?

I agree with your view. Good looks??
Nadal is cute in his own way, but that has more to do with how his adorable personality comes through.

Chloe le Bopper
06-06-2005, 10:44 PM
For somebody who apparently lacks looks according to you two, he sure is making it hard for his most popular fansite to keep up on the bandwidth payments on their photoalbums. After it started costing 30 dollars a day on top of everything else they had to change some things around in order to manage their traffic better.

He's not everybody's cup of tea, but he quite obviously appeals to many.

Skyward
06-06-2005, 10:50 PM

Who would notice him, if he was a truck driver from the next door? Just teasing you... ;)

Chloe le Bopper
06-06-2005, 10:51 PM
Who would notice him, if he was a truck driver from the next door? Just teasing you... ;)
Probably about as many people would notice Roger.

Teasing or not, you did have a point which applies to most professional athletes. Success is hot. Success with muscles? Even better.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Just like what Andy Roddick once said. The more you start winning matches, the more you are perceived better looking.

Skyward
06-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Teasing or not, you did have a point which applies to most professional athletes. Success is hot. Success with muscles? Even better.

Men who are obsessed with their muscles are often lacking in other places. ;)

Chloe le Bopper
06-06-2005, 11:34 PM
Men who are obsessed with their muscles are often lacking in other places. ;)
That's just something that men without muscles say to make themselves feel better. :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-06-2005, 11:35 PM
Just like what Andy Roddick once said. The more you start winning matches, the more you are perceived better looking.
Did he say that? How perceptive.

Skyward
06-06-2005, 11:37 PM
That's just something that men without muscles say to make themselves feel better. :p

LOL, I'm a female.

Chloe le Bopper
06-06-2005, 11:42 PM
LOL, I'm a female.
That doesn't change anything. :p

Clara Bow
06-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Who would notice him, if he was a truck driver from the next door?

Frankly, imo there is a big difference to how Nadal looks when he is playing and not playing. When he is playing he can look kinda scary.

When he is not playing, I think he is a cutie with a really nice smile. He would have turned my head when I was younger if I saw him going down the halls of my high school or college campus.

Looks are subjective anyway- we don't all like the same thing. Different things appeal to different people. Just because one person may not find someone attractive does not mean someone else can not then find them attractive.

Skyward
06-07-2005, 12:42 AM
Looks are subjective anyway- we don't all like the same thing. Different things appeal to different people. Just because one person may not find someone attractive does not mean someone else can not then find them attractive.

Can't argue with that. :)

NicoFan
06-07-2005, 01:05 AM
For somebody who apparently lacks looks according to you two, he sure is making it hard for his most popular fansite to keep up on the bandwidth payments on their photoalbums. After it started costing 30 dollars a day on top of everything else they had to change some things around in order to manage their traffic better.

Are you talking about vamosrafael? Wow...$30 a day???

With all the money Rafa is making, maybe he can chip in? Serious here...that site gives a lot of his fans info and pictures....its excellent - much much better than most. The first time I saw it, I initially thought it was his own official site.

And if he had to do it himself, it would cost him a lot more than that.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:09 AM
Are you talking about vamosrafael? Wow...$30 a day???

With all the money Rafa is making, maybe he can chip in? Serious here...that site gives a lot of his fans info and pictures....its excellent - much much better than most. The first time I saw it, I initially thought it was his own official site.

And if he had to do it himself, it would cost him a lot more than that.

Yes, Susan said that they started to burn through 30 dollars of bandwidth a day.

But I think they'll get by without Rafa chipping in ;) They've arranged some ideas to make money for the site.

NicoFan
06-07-2005, 01:14 AM
Yes, Susan said that they started to burn through 30 dollars of bandwidth a day.

But I think they'll get by without Rafa chipping in ;) They've arranged some ideas to make money for the site.

That's good.

The only reason I had said that was because I don't think a lot of these guys realize how much work their fans put into their sites that serve many of their fans. And most of them don't have their own official sites.

And $30 a day is outrageous - I couldn't do that, most fans couldn't no matter how much they adored their player. And no fan should have to do that.

Tennis Fool
06-07-2005, 01:15 AM
On WTAWorld, posters were comparing Nadal to looking like a "wet rat" and that he should cut his hair :o

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:16 AM
That's good.

The only reason I had said that was because I don't think a lot of these guys realize how much work their fans put into their sites that serve many of their fans. And most of them don't have their own official sites.

And $30 a day is outrageous - I couldn't do that, most fans couldn't no matter how much they adored their player. And no fan should have to do that.

He knows of the site. He's given Susan an interview before and signed a shirt for her with reference to the site and blah. She put a picture of it up somewhere. Also, there is a picture of his room and one of the stuffy toys the site gave him was on his shelf, lol. He's made reference to them giving him the tyos in interview before.

I wouldn't do it for 30 dollars a day either, and I don't think Susan plans on it either, hence them finding some creative ways to bring in revenue :)

VingaRafel
06-07-2005, 01:16 AM
VAMOSRAFAEL is da bomb! They always get his latest pics out first and they have tones of videos and great stuff. I absolutely love it.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:17 AM
On WTAWorld, posters were comparing Nadal to looking like a "wet rat" and that he should cut his hair :o
In one thread. In another thread they are fighting over who gets to lay him first.

VingaRafel
06-07-2005, 01:22 AM

The thing is, he has a unique look/face. He looks like a mouse in a way, but not in a bad way. Not in an ugly way or gross. It's just like Federer looks like a bird to me, like an awl, but he is still a good looking man right? But you can't help haters just doing their thing I guess.

Ace Tracker
06-07-2005, 01:23 AM
In one thread. In another thread they are fighting over who gets to lay him first.

is that the thread Crazy Canuck started? ;) :D :cool:

robinhood
06-07-2005, 01:24 AM

:lol:

lina_seta
06-07-2005, 01:37 AM
for those arguing about attractiveness.... well it didnt say ATTRACTIVENESS it said LOOKS.... although looks is included in attractiveness but not necessarily dependant on it... one may not be very good looking but attractive... funny ppl, clever ppl, succesful ppl, $$$ ppl, may not be good looking but yet attractive..

wateva
06-07-2005, 01:42 AM
masha is not arrogant. people have expectations after you win your first slam. when you start to lose, the press will go into a frenzy asking why did u lose etc. they expect you to win everytime. maria was just being defensive, not arrogant. let's see what nadal's reaction will be when his winning streak is broken. i can guarantee that there won't be a smile on his face. :rolleyes:

Shy
06-07-2005, 01:42 AM
The thing is, he has a unique look/face. He looks like a mouse in a way, but not in a bad way. Not in an ugly way or gross. It's just like Federer looks like a bird to me, like an awl, but he is still a good looking man right? But you can't help haters just doing their thing I guess.
See,they aren't your typical good looking, but they have an adorable personalities which is attractive. They also very succesfull which add to their attractivness.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 01:55 AM
is that the thread Crazy Canuck started? ;) :D :cool:
Who's that? :angel:

No, Sarah started it. Crazy Canuck just makes a coincidental appearance. She had no idea what it was about, she swears.

Devotee
06-07-2005, 02:02 AM
go to http://www.cnn.com/paula to see that Rafael Nadal is one of the choices for Monday's "Person of the Day". I also just saw the winner announced on the CNN TV show "Paula Zahn Now", but Rafa didn't win; Eric Idle did for his Tony awards. :( But at least the U.S. media is acknowledging Nadal's existence! :p

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Unless Rafael and Raphael are interchangeable, it appears they spelled his name wrong.

Devotee
06-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Unless Rafael and Raphael are interchangeable, it appears they spelled his name wrong.

So now it's not just the pronunciation of his name but also misspelling of it!
So American, don't you think? :lol:

By the way, Chloe, what's Rafa doing with his fingers in your avatar?
Is that a press conference?

Nikki♥
06-07-2005, 06:11 AM

Tsk, tsk. Whats the fighting over him good for? I mean, everyone knows by now that I will be the one to lay him first. :angel:

robinhood
06-07-2005, 06:15 AM
Think of your boyfriend, Princesa!

Action Jackson
06-07-2005, 06:21 AM
Tsk, tsk. Whats the fighting over him good for? I mean, everyone knows by now that I will be the one to lay him first. :angel:

Give up sis Sveta has already done it.

Nikki♥
06-07-2005, 06:25 AM
Give up sis Sveta has already done it.

No, it was Maria Kirilenko. And I would even share him with her. She is a beautiful girl and the three of us could have lots of fun together.

mandoura
06-07-2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the article TF. But where does the New York Times compare Nadal to Sharapova? :confused:

And remember Masha said she would try not to change after winning Wimbledon last year. And Nadal said the same thing yesterday afer winning the French Open. But he will change a little just like Sharapova did. It's inevitable. And they are human being with alot being asked of them personally and professionally.

Well said Mimi.

Not well said Robin. Just kidding. ;)

Very well said :cat: , and not just this post, all of yours throughout the thread.

I do like Maria and think she is a serious player and very talented. I agree the title is misleading as no comparison was made between the 2 of them, but in a way they are similar in the fact they are both teenagers, they each won a GS in their teens, and they both are taking tennis by storm.

While I think that fame is an undeniable spoiler, I don't think Nadal will be too affected by it as much as Maria (and I am not blaming/judging her). He comes from a family used to fame. His uncle/coach Toni is a very wise and nice person. More than once the camera showed him applauding Nadal's opponents shots (Federer & Puerta). One of his mentors is Moya, one of the nicest guys on tour. Rafa & Toni are always pleasant in their interviews. I think their modesty is genuine. They are nice people.

One last thing, unfortunately, people tend to mistake confidence for arrogance, resolve to win for cockiness. It's a shame because, along with talent, this is what makes real champions.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 07:52 AM
So now it's not just the pronunciation of his name but also misspelling of it!
So American, don't you think? :lol:

By the way, Chloe, what's Rafa doing with his fingers in your avatar?
Is that a press conference?

Yes. I think it's from Rome. He messed up his English and the press giggled at him so he flipped them the bird :yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 07:53 AM
No, it was Maria Kirilenko. And I would even share him with her. She is a beautiful girl and the three of us could have lots of fun together.
:o

Action Jackson
06-07-2005, 07:57 AM

Think about Sveta's thighs and Nadal there is a lot of muscle in that combo.

Chloe le Bopper
06-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Arg! Visual :o

Action Jackson
06-07-2005, 08:03 AM
Arg! Visual :o

Poetry.

Clara Bow
06-07-2005, 08:19 AM
Yes. I think it's from Rome. He messed up his English and the press giggled at him so he flipped them the bird

I think it may have been Monte Carlo. The little video feed of it was very funny and Nadal was not shooting birds in a bratty way at all- just a funny little moment where all sides were laughing.

Nikki♥
06-07-2005, 09:06 AM

Im on my way to the toilet. Gotta puke after thinking about that.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-07-2005, 10:05 AM
Nadal is the Sharapova of Men's Tennis? Let's hope not for Rafa!

silverwhite
06-07-2005, 10:13 AM

Think about Sveta choking. :o

Nikki♥
06-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Think of your boyfriend, Princesa!

:scared:

Nikki♥
06-07-2005, 10:41 AM
Think about Sveta choking. :o

Or blowing... :o

opponents off the court.

Billy Moonshine
06-07-2005, 10:45 AM
They cannot be compared!
Nadal is much prettier :)
I guess they both pump their fists a lot and are teenagers.
But thats about it!They are both fab players though and great to watch.

mandoura
06-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I think it may have been Monte Carlo. The little video feed of it was very funny and Nadal was not shooting birds in a bratty way at all- just a funny little moment where all sides were laughing.

I think you're right CB, it was Monte Carlo.

the cat
06-07-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the nice words Mandoura. :) And I agree with you about how fame is a spoiler. That's the truth.

LOL @ George and Princesa!. :lol: They are so funny in this thread. ;)

P.S. - Can you imagine what the vitriolic reaction to Maria Sharapova flipping the double bird to a television camera the way Rafael Nadal did? :eek: :scared: Sharapova would have been castigated for doing it. :mad: But Nadal somehow makes it charming and cute. :rolleyes: :p Hey, I'm just telling it like it is.

P.P.S. - And the thought of Princess Nicole with Rafael Nadal and Svetlana Kuznetsova absolutely blows my mind! :eek: ;) So much lightness and delicateness (Princesa!) trapped between so much mass and muscle. :scared: :tape: Poor Princesa!. :bigcry: ;)

alfonsojose
06-07-2005, 11:19 PM
Im on my way to the toilet. Gotta puke after thinking about that.
an unshaved Sveta could make things .. :scared: .. worse :p

alfonsojose
06-07-2005, 11:22 PM
Sharapova + Capris :spit: :haha:

this is the original post from .. you know .. :tape: .. Wtahell.com
http://www.wtaworld.com/showpost.php?p=5561386&postcount=8

mandoura
06-07-2005, 11:23 PM

Alfonso, Rainer won today. So are you still on for the next match? ;)

the cat
06-08-2005, 12:35 AM
Alfonso, thanks for the Capri photo of Big Masha and Little Masha. :)

VingaRafel
06-08-2005, 12:37 AM
Alfonso, thanks for the Capri photo of Big Masha and Little Masha. :)

:haha: :haha: who is Little Masha by the way??

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 06:11 AM
P.P.S. - And the thought of Princess Nicole with Rafael Nadal and Svetlana Kuznetsova absolutely blows my mind! :eek: ;) So much lightness and delicateness (Princesa!) trapped between so much mass and muscle. :scared: :tape: Poor Princesa!. :bigcry: ;)

Id like to have Kirilenko involved in our threesome instead, she is not that scary. And Rafa would like the idea of her joining us too. :angel:

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 06:12 AM

Im sure Sveta has a moustache. :eek:

Chloe le Bopper
06-08-2005, 06:13 AM
It's beautiful Little Masha! I love her :hearts:

the cat
06-08-2005, 02:04 PM
Vinga, Little Masha is Maria Kirilenko. And Big Masha is Maria Sharapova. ;)

Princesa!, I doubt that threesome of you, Little Masha and Nadal will happen because I hear Rafael is a nice proper young man. :angel: But I can understand how you are smitten with the warm and charming qualities of Nadal and Kirilenko. :)

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Or blowing... :o

opponents off the court.

I thought that was more your line actually. :p

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Id like to have Kirilenko involved in our threesome instead, she is not that scary. And Rafa would like the idea of her joining us too. :angel:

Stop denying your true feelings.

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Princesa!, I doubt that threesome of you, Little Masha and Nadal will happen because I hear Rafael is a nice proper young man. :angel: But I can understand how you are smitten with the warm and charming qualities of Nadal and Kirilenko. :)

A nice proper young man? Well, maybe by his looks but usually the ones who look nice and as if they are not into trying too crazy things turn out to be very kinky. :angel:

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 02:15 PM
I thought that was more your line actually. :p

I like blowing but Im not really into doing it with my opponents on a tennis court.

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 02:17 PM
Stop denying your true feelings.

Before making my post I should have considered that there is someone on these boards who knows me better than I know myself.

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 02:18 PM
I like blowing but Im not really into doing it with my opponents on a tennis court.

With grass, it's grass burn and clay it's rash, but Nav really liked the carpet.

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Before making my post I should have considered that there is someone on these boards who knows me better than I know myself.

You know it's true about Sveta and I am worried that alfie cares that a woman has a mo, that is more scary than anything else.

Nikki♥
06-08-2005, 02:23 PM
With grass, it's grass burn and clay it's rash, but Nav really liked the carpet.

I prefer bedroom carpets. :angel: Its my kind of surface.

the cat
06-08-2005, 03:08 PM
Princesa!, you might be right about Rafael. ;) And you and the original Boy George are so funny! :lol: :haha:

mandoura
06-08-2005, 03:34 PM
I prefer bedroom carpets. :angel: Its my kind of surface.

You are hilarious. :haha:

alfonsojose
06-08-2005, 05:58 PM
You know it's true about Sveta and I am worried that alfie cares that a woman has a mo, that is more scary than anything else.
I can't stand a close view of a pussy, now an ultra-hairy one. And Sveta major lips have to be as big as a cow's :spit: :bolt:

alfonsojose
06-08-2005, 05:59 PM
Bring some red-haired, pink Rainer ass here ;)

Nikki♥
06-09-2005, 07:28 AM
You are hilarious. :haha:

:angel:

Adman
06-09-2005, 09:47 AM
I think that Nadal has had an evtreamly good run on clay this year and lets hope that he can have a good run on the grass at Wimbledon.