Rafa's interview: Bleep the translator! I'm going to say this in English, damn it! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa's interview: Bleep the translator! I'm going to say this in English, damn it!

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Q. Now everybody will have very big expectation for the next tournament. You are still preparing for Wimbledon going to Halle?

RAFAEL NADAL: So now I am very happy for won this tournament, and tomorrow I have flight at I don't know what hour for go to Halle. Is the first tournament in grass. And I will try improve my tennis in grass for prepare Wimbledon, no?

Q. What was the key for your victory today?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. I think I fight every ball. When I have difficults (sic), when I have problems in the match, I fight, I fight, I fight every, every game. And after the first set, I lost in a tough tiebreak when I won 3‑1, 15‑40 in the set.

When I begin the second set, I stay better with the calm, because in the first set I am a little bit nervous. And I play more aggressive in the second and third set.

In the fourth set, I'm play very, very well, the set point down, no?

Q. In what way was playing your first Grand Slam final surprising for you and in what way was it not surprising?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, won here for me is a surprise, no? So I play ‑‑ I am playing very good. Like now, I am playing good like January. Like now ‑‑ I play very good all season, and I won the last three tournaments before this one. I won in Monte‑Carlo, Barcelona and Rome, and that is important for my confidence for in case this tournament, no?

Q. How do you explain that fighting spirit, that never‑say‑die attitude? Where does that come from?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, is a little bit natural, no (smiling)? I think is also my coach, my uncle, my family always say me that's the important, fight, fight and ‑‑

TRANSLATOR: Never give up.

RAFAEL NADAL: Okay, never give up (smiling).

Q. The 10th game of the final set where you finally fought through three set points and now you have a breakpoint. It was one of the most spectacular points of the match. From what you saw in your mind, can you take us through that point, how you won that point?

RAFAEL NADAL: So I remember the point, but I can't explain it in English (laughter).

Q. In Spanish then.

RAFAEL NADAL: (Translated from Spanish) No, because if I don't explain, you're going to invent everything afterwards.

(In English.) No, I return a little bit short. He have a big forehand. Return the ball. I stay like outside to the court, two meters down, behind. He send me the dropshot. I arrive very, very, very ‑‑ I arrive a little bit late, but I can arrive. And the volley for him is here and I stay a little, and I stay in the middle, he touch, I can return the ball and I can win the point, no (double peace sign with arms raised) (laughter)!

Q. After the match, what are you thinking?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. Is one of the best moments in my career, no? I am very happy. I can't say my feelings because that's unbelievable for me. Is a dream for me, won here. And when I won this tournament, I remember the bad moments when I practice a lot, when I stay young. So that.

Q. Which person you think of after the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: A lot of person, no? But especially my uncle and coach, because without him I never can play here.

Q. Do you think there is a lot of improvement in your tennis because you are a talent and you play so good? Do you think you need to improve a lot?

RAFAEL NADAL: I need improve every day. I only have 19 years old two days before. For stay in this level, I need improve every day. I need to improve in all surface. I need improve a lot my serve, because with this serve I have problems every game. And I want to practice a lot for improve all shots, especially the volley and serve for play better in indoor and grass, no?

Q. One of the reasons you're such a good player besides your quality of tennis is because you're such a happy person. You seem to enjoy people and tennis. Was it a great honor for you that the King of Spain, Juan Carlos, came to watch the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, I like play tennis. I like the competition. Competition, is okay? I like the competition. After for me ‑‑

(In Spanish.) It was important for me that the King was here, and the Queen also. I was very pleased. It was a great honor for me to have the King of Spain here.

Q. Last year if someone came up to you when you were hear briefly and hurt, and they said to you, "Don't worry. In a year's time you will lead Spain to the Davis Cup title and you will win Roland Garros," what would you say to them?

RAFAEL NADAL: I never can think that, no? When I ‑‑ when I was the last Roland Garros one year before, I am home like this, with the foot, with my injury (putting leg up). I only think about this year and improve my tennis for won any year here. So I never think this year this is the good year.

Q. You will get a great welcome when you come to Wimbledon. Do you believe the way you're playing at the moment, you could challenge for the title at Wimbledon?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I think in grass I can't ‑‑ (In Spanish.) I can't challenge for the title.

(In English.) I want to improve, no? For that, I go to play in Halle this week, and I like a lot play in grass. I know is not my best surface, is a little bit fast. I need to improve some things in my game for play better in grass and in the fast courts. And I want to improve the serve and the volley, and for that I going to play in grass one or two tournaments before. And doubles, too.

THE MODERATOR: Spanish questions, please.

Q. When was the first time when you thought you would be able to be a great tennis player? When you won against Costa or when you won in Monte‑Carlo? When you won this year? At what moment did you start thinking you could become a great player?

RAFAEL NADAL: You can never think that you can become a great player. But since I was a little kid, I always wanted to be a tennis player. I was even dreaming to be a professional tennis player, but I was not thinking about a ranking. It was just a dream for me. Little by little I am assimilating things. When you are little, you have goals. But as the years go by, the goals change.

When I started playing the first Futures, the Satellites, I was losing in the quallies. After, I was playing six Futures one after the other back to back and I was able to become in the Top 200. Two months later, I was Top 60 with three finals. Then I lost two matches in Monte‑Carlo and Hamburg. This comes little by little. You don't think about it from the start.

Now this year I'm among the Top 10 in the beginning of the year. Now in June I'm No. 3, which is something you can't think beforehand. I don't know if next year I will be back in the Top 10 or I'll be elsewhere.

Q. Are there more important moments than others for your confidence?

RAFAEL NADAL: The Davis Cup is a very important moment. The Australian Open was very important. I played very well there. I saw that I was able to win very good matches on other surfaces than clay. After, when the clay court season started, I played in Acapulco. I saw that I was playing very well. But I didn't know how I would react in major tournaments because I was not playing against the best players.

But when I played Monte‑Carlo and Barcelona, I was confirmed in my thinking that I could be good and I saw I could win major tournaments on clay.

Q. (Question in Portuguese.)

RAFAEL NADAL: You can be afraid in every match. You always have problems in each match. They are difficult moments. You try to overcome those moments. You try to be positive, as much as you can. Today I had difficult moments during the first set. I was a little bit nervous. I fought back all the time, but I was too nervous and I played too often defensively.

Afterwards, I was more aggressive. He got tired a little bit. I was able to win more easily the second set and the third said. For the fourth set, everything had to be started all over again. It was more difficult. Then you can be afraid again. It's normal.

I always respect my opponents. I know that I can lose against any player at any time. When you step into the court, you have always to think you can win, but you know that you can lose.

Q. Puerta says that you returned impossible shots and had no doubts. At the end of the fourth set, he said he thought you had doubts. He said he thought if he had won the fourth set, entering the fifth your chances were 50/50.

RAFAEL NADAL: Indeed, we were 50/50. In any kind of match in five sets, you are always 50/50 because you are two sets all. It's up to the one who will make the greatest efforts who will win. I was a bit nervous at that moment for the first set. Then he started making mistakes. I started playing well. I was more aggressive. I had my chances in the tiebreaker. I played incredible shots, I believe. I made an incredible passing shot. I really tried my best to win that set.

But, you know, it's a final in the French Open. For me it was not over. I kept on trying a hundred percent. I only thought about winning the first game of the second set, and that's what I did. In the second set, I saw that things were becoming very difficult because he was playing at a very high level. There were no gaps in his game. I had to run a lot. But I believe he had to play to his limit.

He was playing very well. I thought he would go down a little bit, and he would have a down period, but he played a hundred percent during the whole match.

Q. You were 3‑1, 15‑40, then he came back. Did you have trouble in the first set or did you think it would be easier?

RAFAEL NADAL: In fact it's just speculation. What is important is the result, the final result. That's reality. The rest, what could have happened, doesn't mean anything.

Q. How can you explain the feelings you had after the last point because you laid down on the ground? What did you think?

RAFAEL NADAL: It's something you can't explain. These moments are very strong. These moments are moments when everything comes upon you. All the work you've been doing during all those years, the sacrifices. When you reach your goal, it's an extraordinary moment. For the first time I cried after winning a match. It never happened to me before. I believe it's perfectly normal.

Q. The trophy which is next to you, you held it very strongly in your hands. What does it mean for you?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me it means that I am now at the same level as other great players having won the French Open, the ones I watched on television. To be on the same list as they are is a dream.

Q. What did the King tell you after the match?

RAFAEL NADAL: He congratulated me a lot. He said it's incredible what I did. He thanked me. He said that the Queen had to leave. But he congratulated me. He gave me his best wishes for my future.

Q. After the King, you went up the stands to see your father and uncle.

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes. I have two uncles, Rafael, Toni and my father. I went to see them. I was walking through the seats to see them. These are important moments. I didn't think I was going to cry, but my whole family was very emotional. In the end, I started crying also.

Q. You were saying something during the national anthem of Spain. You spoke with Zidane. How do you see him as a football player?

RAFAEL NADAL: For me it's a very simple man. He's one of the best athletes, the best players in the past years. He's really elegant, including on a soccer field. He wished me good luck. He congratulated me. He said I was a phenomenon. I told him that in the end, we finished the year very well, but not with Barca, but that Madrid had won all the matches back to back.

He wished me good luck and good holidays. He said that he was starting the eighth day of I don't know which month. That was the conversation.

Q. Did you believe Puerta would resist so much in the final?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yes, absolutely. I knew that I could lose. So, obviously, I knew he was going to resist. I was expecting it. Puerta is a very aggressive player. He was hitting me where it hurt. He made me move a lot and run a lot. I think this is the match where I ran the most in the whole tournament.

Q. What will be the difference?

RAFAEL NADAL: There's no difference. It's just an extra match. I'm always a 19‑year‑old boy who likes to do what he likes and nothing more. The rest is nothing. I will continue to be the same way I was before. I'm going to do the same: I will work day after day like I did my whole life and I'm not going to change anything just because I won this tournament.

Q. Compared to the four Grand Slams, where do you rank the French Open?

RAFAEL NADAL: All the Grand Slam tournaments are important. To win a Grand Slam is something very important. For the Spanish players also. This trophy for the Spanish players is No. 1, of course. Wimbledon No. 2. But every Grand Slam is different. For all of us it's a dream. But for the Spanish players, winning here is the top of the top, and I suppose that for Federer winning Wimbledon is the top. For others, it's the US Open.

I would be ready to take any one of them.

Q. To sum up what you are feeling, it's only a beginning. There are people like Wilander who are comparing you to Borg. You are still eager to play well, not only on clay, but on grass or other surfaces?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, now that mathematically I'm selected for the Masters, I will have to learn how to play on carpet. I never had good result on that surface. It's true that it's very difficult.

I would like to thank Mats Wilander for saying those things about me. I'm very pleased. But to compare me with Borg, it's not possible. My goal is to improve day after day on all surfaces. I hope that I will have a good result in Wimbledon. After that, I will keep on working to improve all the parts of my game. Apart from that, nothing has changed.

Q. You played very often cross‑court shots. At the end you hit a backhand, a forehand. Did you just think what you were going to do or was it just instinct?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sometimes the adrenaline is there. I wanted to be aggressive. With Federer, I already was very aggressive. During the last set I hit three winners. Here I played a backhand down the line which was a winner, and also a forehand which was a winner, because I wrong‑footed him.

I saw many matches of tennis, and I saw that those who win the point are those who are the most aggressive. Sometimes you try. Sometimes the ball goes out. Today the ball went in.

Q. Was it more difficult today or against Federer two days ago?

RAFAEL NADAL: Each match has a different story. Each match has difficult moments. I wouldn't say one was more difficult than the other.

Q. We have the impression that you don't feel the pressure. But for this final, did you feel the pressure?

RAFAEL NADAL: I always feel the pressure. I think everybody feels the pressure. All the big champions felt the pressure. Those from yesterday and those from today. What you have to do is control it. Some do it better; some do it not so good.

I had pressure from my first match here, during the first set, and every moment. The only way of finding a solution is to fight back, to move, to run, and to control your pressure. Sometimes I can control it and sometimes not so much.

Today it was difficult during the first two sets, but after I fought at a hundred percent and it's the only way of controlling the pressure. But it's true that at some moment some people choke with the pressure, but it didn't happen to me.

Q. Soccer is the No. 1 sport in Spain, before Formula One. Do you believe you can change this hierarchy and put tennis at the most popular point in Spain?

RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know what to answer. I don't think so. I believe this soccer will always be the king sport in Spain. I think there's a lot of enthusiasm about soccer. Last year, playing the Davis Cup was an excellent moment for tennis. The whole country was behind our team.

But since tennis is an individual sport, it's more difficult to have it accepted than a team sport. But tennis is widely popular. Many people follow tennis. Formula One, we have no Spanish drivers, and now we have very good drivers. It's a very popular sport.

My objective is to continue to do my job, and I would like to thank the people who are interested in me. As far as tennis is concerned, I will try to win.

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:22 PM
BTW, I got to see Rafa lose the first set before I left and my VCR blew up :( Did he say anything in English at the ceremony? Did JMac interview him? Did Bud Collins come up and say, "Raaaaafiiiiiallllll. I. understand. YOU. are just LEARNING. English! How. do. you. FEEL. that. you. just. WOOOOOOOOON????????" :p

Daniel
06-05-2005, 11:25 PM
nice interview, no?

sigmagirl91
06-05-2005, 11:25 PM
BTW, I got to see Rafa lose the first set before I left and my VCR blew up :( Did he say anything in English at the ceremony? Did JMac interview him? Did Bud Collins come up and say, "Raaaaafiiiiiallllll. I. understand. YOU. are just LEARNING. English! How. do. you. FEEL. that. you. just. WOOOOOOOOON????????" :p

Yes, he spoke to Bud in English-as did Mariano. Taking into consideration that Rafa's English is still under development, I found his conversation with Bud to be very fun and enlightening. He was even looking forward to Wimbledon. I tell ya, this kid has no fear. Watch out, tour!

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
His English is improving rapidly.

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:33 PM
Yes, he spoke to Bud in English-as did Mariano. Taking into consideration that Rafa's English is still under development, I found his conversation with Bud to be very fun and enlightening. He was even looking forward to Wimbledon. I tell ya, this kid has no fear. Watch out, tour!
Ok, I hope it was better than Bud's interview before the semis. He had his hand on Nadal's back and Nadal had this look like "I'm learning English, man. I'm not retarded!" He seemed to want to get away for BC as quickly as possible (but this isn't the first player who acted this way).

BTW, did you know Bud was in the tennis Hall of Fame?

Another off-topic question: Why is JMac always in the men's locker room? (He's always saying, "I was in the locker room talking with (so-and-so) player about this match..."

Unless, this is common of retired players and newscasters :confused:

rofe
06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
He was even looking forward to Wimbledon. I tell ya, this kid has no fear. Watch out, tour!

What is he supposed to say? I am not looking forward to Wimbledon, I am going to lose it anyway? Come on!

Considering that he said before that he wants to win Wimbledon one day, he has to keep saying what he said today.

Scotso
06-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Bud did talk to him like you would talk to a deaf person.

Bud's getting a little old. He kind of irritated me... like he was trying to get the "scoop" or something silly.

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
Nadal gets a star for completing the interview with Bud without sounding rude.

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:36 PM
nice interview, no?

Your question prompts me to ask another one for the forum:

Are Americans the only ones to say "right" instead of "no"? Ie, "Nice interview, right?"

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Sigma, btw, Nadal's dream has always been to win Wimbledon, not the French Open. Federer better protect his trophies :p

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Americans also say "kinda, sorta, you know".

There are many different variations and options to close out a sentance, ya dig?

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:38 PM
It's also been Federer's dream to win Wimbledon as he admired Borg.

robinhood
06-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Your question prompts me to ask another one for the forum:

Are Americans the only ones to say "right" instead of "no"? Ie, "Nice interview, right?"

Brits, too, at least.
I think Rafa's "no?" is becoming a catchy little thing to add at the end of your sentence whenever you want, no?

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:39 PM
Bud did talk to him like you would talk to a deaf person.

Bud's getting a little old. He kind of irritated me... like he was trying to get the "scoop" or something silly.
I've been listening to Bud for over 12 years, and believe me, this is his personality.

sigmagirl91
06-05-2005, 11:40 PM
What is he supposed to say? I am not looking forward to Wimbledon, I am going to lose it anyway? Come on!

Considering that he said before that he wants to win Wimbledon one day, he has to keep saying what he said today.

I know that. Which is why I said this kid has no fear. I, for one, believe he can do it. He seems eager to get on the grass courts. Even if he doesn't get far in this Wimbledon, he has shown remarkable determination to play on all surfaces.

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:41 PM
Americans also say "kinda, sorta, you know".

There are many different variations and options to close out a sentance, ya dig?

"You know" is the first thing non-English speakers learn to say. Just listen to Federer and Ferrero in their interviews :tape:

Scotso
06-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Keep this bumped so I can read it later :p I'm too tired right now.

sigmagirl91
06-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Another off-topic question: Why is JMac always in the men's locker room? (He's always saying, "I was in the locker room talking with (so-and-so) player about this match..."

JMac is annoying. :mad:

Scotso
06-05-2005, 11:43 PM
There are a lot of nuances in language, eh?

sigmagirl91
06-05-2005, 11:43 PM
"You know" is the first thing non-English speakers learn to say. Just listen to Federer and Ferrero in their interviews :tape:

I have. I guess "you know" is also common with native speakers too-just listen to Capriati.

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:46 PM
Brits, too, at least.
I think Rafa's "no?" is becoming a catchy little thing to add at the end of your sentence whenever you want, no?

NO :p

Because it sounds pretentious. Like when my former boss used to pronounce "schedule" as SHED-UAL intead of SKED-UAL. It was so annoying.

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:47 PM
You mean like Safin "Am I right" "Am I right" @ AO?

Tennis Fool
06-05-2005, 11:50 PM
I wonder how long it will take Nadal to turn his "no's" into "you knows"? That's when I'll have to stop reading his interviews :lol:

Natas81: No comment on Safin. He's questioning himself as usual.

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:52 PM
Probably when he moves to San Diego, Miami, or another rural Spanish speaking population in America.

robinhood
06-05-2005, 11:54 PM
I wonder how long it will take Nadal to turn his "no's" into "you knows"? That's when I'll have to stop reading his interviews :lol:

Me, too.

Seleshfan
06-05-2005, 11:57 PM
I have. I guess "you know" is also common with native speakers too-just listen to Capriati.

um, you know, like, I think Rafa's English is better than Capriati's.

Carito_90
06-05-2005, 11:57 PM
the 'no?' in the end is because in spanish we say "no?" at the end of a sentence as you people in english say "right?" so... I think that's why :p

Seleshfan
06-05-2005, 11:59 PM
the 'no?' in the end is because in spanish we say "no?" at the end of a sentence as you people in english say "right?" so... I think that's why :p

The only time Americans will usually end a statement with "no" is when we say, Oh no! Coincidentally, that's what I said when Roger's shots kept hitting the net against Rafael in the semis. But honestly, I'm not bitter.

Jennay
06-05-2005, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the interview. ;)

It's nice to see Rafa really attempting to improve his English; and the "no's" are total class. :p

Carito_90
06-06-2005, 12:05 AM
The only time Americans will usually end a statement with "no" is when we say, Oh no! Coincidentally, that's what I said when Roger's shots kept hitting the net against Rafael in the semis. But honestly, I'm not bitter.
:lol: :lol:
Yes I know that. Someone should tell him in english the 'no?' in the end of a sentence is replaced by 'right?', no? :p

sigmagirl91
06-06-2005, 12:43 AM
:lol: :lol:
Yes I know that. Someone should tell him in english the 'no?' in the end of a sentence is replaced by 'right?', no? :p

Of course it is, but it's so endearing on him, that it wouldn't sound right..right?

VingaRafel
06-06-2005, 12:44 AM
His interviews are really funny. He's got the reporters cracking up all the time, and he keeps laughting at his own English, cause he knows he is screwing up. But you've got to give credit to this boy for speaking English to the "world" even though he can't and he knows he is not doing it propertly.

Let me tell you, it took me for ever to speak English. I studied it for years but I would not say a word because I was afraid of embarrassment. And here is little Rafa facing the press every day in English! I admire him just for that. Cause I believe he's got the choice of saying: NOPE.. only Spanish! But he doesn't.

sigmagirl91
06-06-2005, 12:47 AM
His interviews are really funny. He's got the reporters cracking up all the time, and he keeps laughting at his own English, cause he knows he is screwing up. But you've got to give credit to this boy for speaking English to the "world" even though he can't and he knows he is not doing it propertly.

Let me tell you, it took me for ever to speak English. I studied it for years but I would not say a word because I was afraid of embarrassment. And here is little Rafa facing the press every day in English! I admire him just for that. Cause I believe he's got the choice of saying: NOPE.. only Spanish! But he doesn't.

Considering that he didn't speak any English this time last year, he's come a looong way. Even for native speakers, English is not an easy language to master. I tip my hat to him for trying.

Daniel
06-06-2005, 12:47 AM
He also got a chance of hiring a good translator who can travel with him all the time or an english teacher.

Tennis Fool
06-06-2005, 12:51 AM
Cause I believe he's got the choice of saying: NOPE.. only Spanish! But he doesn't.
That would be Coria ;)

Jennay
06-06-2005, 12:52 AM
From the time I first heard Nadal speak English (Miami 2005; not long ago!) till now (Roland Garros 2005) he seems much more comfortable with the language. He noticeably understands and speaks it better. Major props over just a few months. :yeah:

VingaRafel
06-06-2005, 12:58 AM
From the time I first heard Nadal speak English (Miami 2005; not long ago!) till now (Roland Garros 2005) he seems much more comfortable with the language. He noticeably understands and speaks it better. Major props over just a few months. :yeah:

Well.... he is winning all the time.. so he pretty much says the same: today was good match no?? :haha: :haha:

I read an article recently about his English an the way he makes up words, it was really funny. In Italy I think, he said he was feeling "mareated" instead of "dizzy". (In Spanish we say "mareado"). That's too good :haha: :haha:

Tennis Fool
06-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Well.... he is winning all the time.. so he pretty much says the same: today was good match no?? :haha: :haha:

I read an article recently about his English an the way he makes up words, it was really funny. In Italy I think, he said he was feeling "mareated" instead of "dizzy". (In Spanish we say "mareado"). That's too good :haha: :haha:

In the states, we call that "Spanglish".

Jennay
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
I thought that was the way English speakers pronounced things in Spanish? ;)

Example: Llamo (Yah-mo) Spanglish: (La-mo)

VingaRafel
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM

Oh I know, trust me, I've lived in New York for 13 years, my Spanish is far from Castilian, it's more like "carajonglish". :rolleyes: It's terrible.

Tennis Fool
06-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Oh I know, trust me, I've lived in New York for 13 years, my Spanish is far from Castilian, it's more like "carajonglish". :rolleyes: It's terrible.

Oh, so are you originally a New Yorker? Where do you live now?

Daniel
06-06-2005, 01:06 AM
I lived in Miami, and there they odnt speak Spanglish, maybe coz most mexicans are not there

VingaRafel
06-06-2005, 01:06 AM
I thought that was the way English speakers pronounced things in Spanish? ;)

Example: Llamo (Yah-mo) Spanglish: (La-mo)

Nooo... Spanglish is the way Spanish speakers convert English words into English. (or... is it the othe way around ?? :confused: )

Like you are riding the subway in New York and you hear: este "train" esta bien "slow".

VingaRafel
06-06-2005, 01:07 AM
Oh, so are you originally a New Yorker? Where do you live now?

I am a native Barcelonian.. but I've lived in New York for 13 years. I am still in New York.

Jennay
06-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Nooo... Spanglish is the way Spanish speakers convert English words into English. (or... is it the othe way around ?? :confused: )

Like you are riding the subway in New York and you hear: " este "train" esta bien "slow".
Oh, alright. Thanks. :)

Carito_90
06-06-2005, 01:41 AM
Spanglish is using spanish words when speaking english or vice versa... like mixing them up.
Like sometimes we'd say "Esta shirt esta muy cool" sort of. I think that's what spanglish is :p

And yeah, Rafa's english has improved a lot... I don't know when he started learning it but a few months ago he wasn't as comfortable as he is now, that's for sure.
He has some trouble with tenses and sometimes vocabulary... but I believe vocabulary is something you are constantly learning.

Devotee
06-06-2005, 02:05 AM

I thought in proper Spanish, "verdad" should be at the end of a sentence?

savesthedizzle
06-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Brits, too, at least.

I think some Brits tend to throw on "yeah" at the end. At least the ones I encountered did.. lol. Like:

"You want a two bedroom flat, yeah?"

"You know McFly, yeah?"

"You need to go to Tesco, yeah?"

robinhood
06-06-2005, 02:43 AM
I think some Brits tend to throw on "yeah" at the end. At least the ones I encountered did.. lol. Like:

"You want a two bedroom flat, yeah?"

"You know McFly, yeah?"

"You need to go to Tesco, yeah?"

Come to think of it, I think you are right.

amierin
06-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Very nice interview. I think all of tennis is holding it's breath about this young man. He doesn't come across as arrogant, or overly humble. He's about tennis and he makes that clear.

BTW Bud Collins didn't try and touch Rafa during his interview this time. I think it came across very well via body language that Bud was creeping Rafa out.

NATAS81
06-06-2005, 03:48 AM
lol, that was odd and as wierd as it was, fun to see from Rafa.

You could tell he just wanted to answer the questions, while thinking of English as quickly as possible in the process to achieve said goal.

Bud had that affect on me too, but he's a legend so it was all good. Just a caring old man, IMO.

Good job for Rafa, long well deserved win and now to prove himself on grass where he finished 3rd round his first appearance on Wimbledon, and his RG status this year was finally shown after being delayed due to injury a year ago.

You could say this was a long time coming for Nadal. Definitely not the last.

The 2nd coming has arrived.

drf716
06-06-2005, 05:21 AM
lol at title!

rhz
06-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Ok, I hope it was better than Bud's interview before the semis. He had his hand on Nadal's back and Nadal had this look like "I'm learning English, man. I'm not retarded!" He seemed to want to get away for BC as quickly as possible (but this isn't the first player who acted this way).

BTW, did you know Bud was in the tennis Hall of Fame?

He's playing legends this year! so he should have access to the locker room!