When your fave loses, ... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

When your fave loses, ...

Darkheart
06-05-2005, 10:27 PM
I just accept it and move on. :)

Remember, you can choose more than one option.

El Legenda
06-05-2005, 10:28 PM
I get drunk and have sex ;)

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 10:30 PM
Pick a new fave, no.

Analyse how they can improve, and break down said logic.

Any v$ bets are lumped into the temp-fave category for those scoring at home.

Bibir
06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I make a new stupid sig.

Eclectic Goddess
06-05-2005, 10:36 PM
Well, it's made easier by having LOTS of favorites. Then you can just throw your support behind someone else.

When the last of my favorites in the draw loses, I make a voodoo doll from wax, in the shape of whoever beat him, carve that person's name into it's back, chant over it for a couple hours, then take it outside and back over it with my car.

Just kidding.

I don't have a car. *smiles*

robinhood
06-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Speaking of vCash, I've just realized how much money I've lost due to Federer's loss in FO. Aghh.... about half of what I had accumulated.
But then again all that money was earned by betting on Fed, so I can't complain.

My favorite player has lost the two most hyped matches of the year, so I feel a little dazed and confused, but I'll move on and look forward to Wimbledon!

Darkheart
06-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Damn, I didn't think this thread would get posted until I finished making the poll. :o

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 10:38 PM
Unless one's favorite is Federer or Nadal, having one's favorite lose is something the rest of us have to get used to on an almost weekly basis. At the end of Roland Garros there were 127 losers (not counting the failed qualifiers) and one winner. Next week we will have 86 losers and 2 winners. Few players experience more than 3 or 4 weeks a year when they are playing tennis and don't finish their last match of the tournament as a loser.

My favorite current player is Fabrice Santoro. I am thankfully very used to and comfortable with him losing. But when he has a good win it does give me a little lift :).

robinhood
06-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Unless one's favorite is Federer or Nadal, having one's favorite lose is something the rest of us have to get used to on an almost weekly basis. At the end of Roland Garros there were 127 losers (not counting the failed qualifiers) and one winner. Next week we will have 86 losers and 2 winners. Few players experience more than 3 or 4 weeks a year when they are playing tennis and don't finish their last match of the tournament as a loser.

A very good point. Ever since I've become a big Fed fan, I guess I just don't see "loss" as an option most of the time. So spoiled.... :angel:

Puschkin
06-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Unless one's favorite is Federer or Nadal, having one's favorite lose is something the rest of us have to get used to on an almost weekly basis.

How true, that's why I extended my favourites, but even this does not always help ;)

Lady Natalia
06-05-2005, 10:45 PM
A very good point. Ever since I've become a big Fed fan, I guess I just don't see "loss" as an option most of the time. So spoiled.... :angel:

I agree and that why I think his losses hurt more. Because we are not used to it. I mean, it's 6 months into the year and he last lost only 3 times. Yeah, were spoiled, just a bit ;)

Darkheart
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
When the last of my favorites in the draw loses, I make a voodoo doll from wax, in the shape of whoever beat him, carve that person's name into it's back, chant over it for a couple hours, then take it outside and back over it with my car.

Just kidding.

That's hilarious. :lol:

robinhood
06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I agree and that why I think his losses hurt more. Because we are not used to it. I mean, it's 6 months into the year and he last lost only 3 times. Yeah, were spoiled, just a bit ;)

I wish he would keep us spoiled and save us from these breatbreakers in the future though. :)

NicoFan
06-05-2005, 10:58 PM
Well, it's made easier by having LOTS of favorites. Then you can just throw your support behind someone else.

Just kidding.

I love it...that's great... ;)

Tennisfan1981
06-05-2005, 11:08 PM
My favorites in the women's side do really well, but on the men's side, I've been getting used to disappointment for years. I was so, so, so happy when Rafa won today. It's been so long since my favorite has won a men's Grand Slam.

Carito_90
06-05-2005, 11:15 PM
Depends on how big the match he was playing was and HOW he played it.
For example, it wasn't the same seeing Andy lose that match against Verdasco or Acasuso than seeing him lose against Lleyton in IW. The first two were a lot worse, but the one against Hewitt wasn't so terrible, simply because I knew he had came as close as he could, and he had played really well thoughout the whole match and, well, even though he could have won the match, he didn't let his mind get the best of him.
In the ones against Nando and Jose he did play well (not so much in the former one but well) but he was SO close to win them, so close that one wouldn't think there is a possibility of losing it. Besides they were important tournaments for Andy, where he could have done better so yeah... depends on the match I believe.

But usually I am sad or angry for the day and then just get over it.

Breakaway
06-06-2005, 01:02 AM
I am usually sad for a few days to a week depending on how bad the loss is.

alexito
06-06-2005, 01:03 AM
all people here crying because federer lose? is the great year. 2 GS, no win federer.

robinhood
06-06-2005, 01:05 AM
all people here crying because federer lose? is the great year. 2 GS, no win federer.

:haha:
Alexito, you are hilarious.

Kristen
06-06-2005, 01:31 AM
I get over it pretty quickly. Most of the time I just laugh and (in jest) insult my player for being such a :retard: twit or similar... Check out my signature! See any consistent people in it? It comes with the territory :lol: I have low expectations, so that when they win, I'm delighted!

Sparko1030
06-06-2005, 04:48 AM
Depends on how big the match he was playing was and HOW he played it.
For example, it wasn't the same seeing Andy lose that match against Verdasco or Acasuso than seeing him lose against Lleyton in IW. The first two were a lot worse, but the one against Hewitt wasn't so terrible, simply because I knew he had came as close as he could, and he had played really well thoughout the whole match and, well, even though he could have won the match, he didn't let his mind get the best of him.
In the ones against Nando and Jose he did play well (not so much in the former one but well) but he was SO close to win them, so close that one wouldn't think there is a possibility of losing it. Besides they were important tournaments for Andy, where he could have done better so yeah... depends on the match I believe.

But usually I am sad or angry for the day and then just get over it.

I agree-it depends on the match. Did he play his best and still lose (Fena vs Federer twice) or did he lose one you feel he really should have won (Fena vs Florian Mayer) And never hold it against the other player unless they display poor sportsmanship during the match or after, of which I can think of a few examples but am not going to list-not the thread for that!

El Legenda
06-06-2005, 04:49 AM
female Roddick fans get pissy for 2 weeks.:)

drf716
06-06-2005, 05:00 AM
i doodle about it on paper so that i totally forget about it... just another day on the life of a marat safin fan.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-06-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm rather used to it, with Rainer, Guga, Younes and Enqvist amongst my favourites... It doesn't effect me anymore... I got immune!
Now you tell me if that is a good thing or not... :rolleyes:

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 07:55 AM
Happens all the time, it's when they win it's memorable.

SuperFurryAnimal
06-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Happens all the time, it's when they win it's memorable.

Exactly! Wise words again! :yeah:

flip_fan
06-06-2005, 08:15 AM
lol, it become very easy to deal with when it keeps happening on a regular basis... its been 14 months of hell, but it will just make any victory mark gets so much sweeter.

sierra91
06-06-2005, 08:17 AM
My husband felt so bad when I got all mopey that he actually started talking about trying to score great seats for the US Open, which would set us back just a tad :eek: (I don't deserve this guy ... someone up there must be watching over me. :angel: )

basil333
06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
All of the above depending on the match.... if its a bad match (stupid straight sets loss) then my player gets shouted at - and told to "pull himself together"

If its a great match - and he loses it because both players played out of their skin - and it went down to the knife edge and many match points saved on both sides - then full credit goes to both players... If its a near defeat of the No.1 Legend - then celebrations...

IF its a withdrawl due to injury after being in the lead and playing out of his skin.... then the crying for days comes into effect....

great thread

robinhood
06-06-2005, 08:22 AM
My husband felt so bad when I got all mopey that he actually started talking about trying to score great seats for the US Open, which would set us back just a tad :eek: (I don't deserve this guy ... someone up there must be watching over me. :angel: )

What a great guy.
Somewhere in your youth or childhood, you must have done something good cause nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever do. Oh somewhere in your youth or childhood, you must have done something some---thing goooooooooooood.

Sorry. I felt like singing.

sierra91
06-06-2005, 08:31 AM
Sorry. I felt like singing. Don't be ... it sounded great!

robinhood
06-06-2005, 08:42 AM
Don't be ... it sounded great!

Thanks. I take voice lessons.

Ferrero Forever
06-06-2005, 09:02 AM
All of the above, depends what match it is.

JMG
06-06-2005, 09:08 AM
Of course I get angry if one of my players lose. That nearly all of my players are losers doesn't make it better. But the wins are nicer that way. come on Jarkko!

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 09:12 AM
Of course I get angry if one of my players lose. That nearly all of my players are losers doesn't make it better. But the wins are nicer that way. come on Jarkko!

Support winners then if it irritates you that much.

nermo
06-06-2005, 09:45 AM
well, it depends ..sometimes..i feel winning a match is really close..and if things change rapidly in an unexpected way..it ll be hard to take specially if my fave.was playing well...lets take yesterday as an example..i knew Puerta was playing well but nadal was really fighting there..and was fortunately more stable at big moments...so i would have been very sad if he lost..
other times..your fav .plays and behaves in a stupid way..that it takes sadness away out of you..and you become more understanding..I believe Coria would be a true sincere example for that..but cant help liking his talent...
and ofcourse having Federer as a Fav..gives me good spirits...cuz even in his worst moments..i see him as a king and i know he ll take it for the better.
so all in all...yes it depends on how my fav.played and how the opponent played

bad gambler
06-06-2005, 09:49 AM
lol, it become very easy to deal with when it keeps happening on a regular basis... its been 14 months of hell, but it will just make any victory mark gets so much sweeter.
:hug:

lets hope the sight of the green stuff will motivate flip in the coming month :)

bad gambler
06-06-2005, 09:50 AM
it is always tough, my latest one was when hewitt lost to safin at AO final - especially considering what he had to do to get there

but after a while you realise the opponent was just too good and your man gave it the best he could

Kristen
06-06-2005, 09:54 AM
Support winners then if it irritates you that much.
LMAO @ you and this comment. You know our pain with regards to Jarkko :tape: Finally a win this week. Lets hope he can find some confidence in it.

deliveryman
06-06-2005, 09:55 AM
I slit my wrists, listening to Cher "Do you believe" while bathing in my own blood.

"DO YOU BELIEVEEE IN LIFE AFTER LOVE...
I CAN FEEL SOMETHING INSIDE ME SAYING... I REALLY DONT THINK IT'S STRONG ENOUGH.... DODODODODO DOOO DOO"

Good times.

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 09:56 AM
LMAO @ you and this comment. You know our pain with regards to Jarkko :tape: Finally a win this week. Lets hope he can find some confidence in it.

I supported a football team that went down 2 divisions in a row they were doing something and it wasn't winning.

Nikki♥
06-06-2005, 10:00 AM

:haha:

Nikki♥
06-06-2005, 10:02 AM
When my favorite loses I make up mean nick names for the player who beat him and scream them around on top of my lungs in my living room.

Auscon
06-06-2005, 10:12 AM
When Lleyton loses;

If he clearly couldntve done much more, such as the AO final, where he not only had to contend with injury but an all dominating Safin, I accept it very quickly, and look back on how well he did to get to that point

If its a loss where he just played a poor match, one that he shouldve definitely won, I like to go and play tennis as soon as possible, remind myself of how hard it actually is :)

nermo
06-06-2005, 10:20 AM
When my favorite loses I make up mean nick names for the player who beat him and scream them around on top of my lungs in my living room. posted by Princesa

yes ..there re times when the opponents really get on your nerves...and it takes time to overcome your disliking him..but NEEEEVERRRR reached that degree of mean nick names... :devil:

sierra91
06-06-2005, 10:20 AM
I slit my wrists, listening to Cher "Do you believe" while bathing in my own blood.

"DO YOU BELIEVEEE IN LIFE AFTER LOVE...
I CAN FEEL SOMETHING INSIDE ME SAYING... I REALLY DONT THINK IT'S STRONG ENOUGH.... DODODODODO DOOO DOO"

Good times.
:haha: :haha:

I tried to find you a picture from Will & Grace of Jack with his Cher doll for the next time you do this trick, but no luck ... so here's part of the script instead:

SCENE X: A Restaurant
(WILL, GRACE, and JACK are sitting down. JACK's Cher doll is sitting on a booster seat at the table.)

JACK: [TO THE WAITER] Please stop staring. Yes, it's Cher.

WILL: Ok, that's it. [TO THE WAITER] Nothing for us. [TO JACK] This Cher thing is out of control. We're going.

JACK: What's the problem?

WILL: You made us wait for an hour for a table for four!

GRACE: In the back, so she wouldn't be gawked at.

WILL: Ok, bye-bye.

GRACE: Freak.

[WILL AND GRACE EXIT.]

JACK: You're the freaks!

CHER: [FROM BEHIND JACK] You know, dude, it is a little weird that you're talking to my doll.

JACK: [TURNS AROUND] Um, I don't think I need a drag queen to define normal behavior, ok? But I will say this. The look? [WHISPERING] It's flawless.

CHER: Whatever.

JACK: Ooh, workin' the attitude. Ok, you're good.

CHER: I've had a lot of practice.

JACK: Hey, hey, hey! You're not that great, mister sister. All right? I do a better Cher than you.

CHER: You think so?

JACK: Actually, it's... [IMITATING CHER] "You think so, hoh!"

CHER: Are you kidding me with this?

JACK: Ok, the hand is perfect, but it's more... [IMITATING CHER] "Are you kidding me with this, hoh!"

CHER: Get a life.

[CHER TURNS TO EXIT, THEN TURNS BACK AROUND AND TAPS JACK ON THE SHOULDER.]

CHER: [SINGING] If I could turn back time.

[JACK SIGHS AND THROWS HIS ARMS IN THE AIR.]

JACK: [IMITATING CHER] If I could turn back ti-ome.

JACK: [IMITATING CHER] Ti-ome. Ti-ome. Ti-ome.

CHER: [SLAPPING JACK ACROSS THE FACE] Snap out of it! [CHER EXITS]

[JACK HOLDS HIS CHEEK...REALIZES...THEN FAINTS.]

Peta Pan
06-06-2005, 10:32 AM
I usually get over it usually... unless it's the AO and Andrei gets beaten by Bobby Reynolds (who?). I think it shows that maybe I'm still not over that one :lol:

Honestly, that loss hurt me for days. I was also sad for a few days about Gaston at RG this year but usually I take the losses pretty well.

My football team on the other hand.... :rollseyes:

Mrs. B
06-06-2005, 10:33 AM
What a great guy.
Somewhere in your youth or childhood, you must have done something good cause nothing comes from nothing, nothing ever do. Oh somewhere in your youth or childhood, you must have done something some---thing goooooooooooood.

Sorry. I felt like singing.

i loved the Sound of Music. i still do. :angel:

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 10:34 AM
I usually get over it usually... unless it's the AO and Andrei gets beaten by Bobby Reynolds (who?). I think it shows that maybe I'm still not over that one :lol:

Some losses are just very hard to take.

Mrs. B
06-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Some losses are just very hard to take.

true. esp. when your fave is playing like crap when he lost that particular match. :mad:

jtipson
06-06-2005, 10:37 AM
true. esp. when your fave is playing like crap when he lost that particular match. :mad:

Or tried a tweener on his own match point ;)

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 10:38 AM

I am sorry the time I get upset over Federer losses has long passed.

Kristen
06-06-2005, 10:45 AM

:haha: I don't think you'll ever get over that one!

roisin
06-06-2005, 10:49 AM
I have loads of favourites so I'm only really affected when JCF loses. I tend to get in a bad mood for a while & sulk on my LJ :p

iliketennis
06-06-2005, 11:26 AM
When my favs start losing-
I begin to throw many sharp objects and breakables around the house. Then I pull out my Roger Federer Voodoo doll and stab him many times through the heart :devil:

deliveryman
06-06-2005, 11:32 AM
:haha: :haha:

I tried to find you a picture from Will & Grace of Jack with his Cher doll for the next time you do this trick, but no luck ... so here's part of the script instead:

LOL :haha: i remember that

Angle Queen
06-06-2005, 02:10 PM
As a Henman and Hewitt fan...I'm teased...and then tormented. I've learned to get over it quickly. I even like for the guys who beat them...to go on and do well. Call it...denial justification.

*Ljubica*
06-06-2005, 02:26 PM
All of the above depending on the match.... if its a bad match (stupid straight sets loss) then my player gets shouted at - and told to "pull himself together"

If its a great match - and he loses it because both players played out of their skin - and it went down to the knife edge and many match points saved on both sides - then full credit goes to both players... great thread

Tend to agree with every word of that. I try not to dwell on David's defeats (there are far too many of them!), - though if I'm honest the dreaded US Open semi final loss point still rankles me more than a little :devil:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-06-2005, 03:41 PM
i either accept it and move on, or the player that beat him/her goes on my enemy list...

and since i only really really really like about 5-7 players, I have a lot more on my enemy list

jmgsdoubsprtnr
06-06-2005, 04:58 PM
i chose the last 2 answers. ususally i don't think about it too much after it happens (but it happens a lot). and i usually dislike the player that beat him. (but actually, a lot of my favorites have become my favorites after beating one of my favorites, lol.)

boliviana
06-06-2005, 06:21 PM
If it's a good match . . . both sides play well, etc, then it is hard to hate anyone. But there are players, no matter what that make me very upset no matter what . . . I will never wish well for Gaudio in a match.

onewoman74
06-06-2005, 06:45 PM
The only loss that affected me to the point that I was depressed for days was Rafter vs Sampras Wimby final...I took Rafter losing that match very, very hard. So, I promised myself never to get that emotionally involved in a tennis match ever again. Now, I move on when my fav loses.

EternalFlame
06-06-2005, 06:50 PM
As a Marat Fan it's hard. Coz you can't predict when he will lose and when he will win.
For example at RG this year I thought JCF would beat him so I was a bit suprised at the end. After that I thought It would be easier for him to beat Robredo coz he played impressive but then again, he lost. So you never know. And coz you never know, you get pissed and dissapointed most of the time....

Turkeyballs Paco
06-06-2005, 07:22 PM
I just blame it on the girlfriend/fiance/wife. In some way, I know it's got to be all HER fault ;)

Nathy
06-07-2005, 01:12 AM
When Lleyton loses;

If he clearly couldntve done much more, such as the AO final, where he not only had to contend with injury but an all dominating Safin, I accept it very quickly, and look back on how well he did to get to that point

If its a loss where he just played a poor match, one that he shouldve definitely won, I like to go and play tennis as soon as possible, remind myself of how hard it actually is :)

That's a good attitude :worship:

DanEd
06-07-2005, 01:17 AM
I get depressed

Truc
06-07-2005, 12:03 PM
... the first thing to do is to avoid reading in GM immediately after the match. It's not such a big deal for me, but the euphory across the whole board can be annoying.

It's part of being a Coria fan. It's also because of those pretty dramatic losses (like at the French Open last year or in the final of Rom) that I'm a fan of him, it gives me a lot of emotions, that makes him interesting to me. I honestly don't envy the fans of players who are winning everything all the time.

Fi-Fi
06-07-2005, 12:19 PM
i get sad and my head tends to sink down until it hits whats infront of me (my computer table when i see it on the net is usually what it is...but its a bit awkward when im watching tv and my head keeps going lower and lower never hitting anything until i fall off my chair)...lol...i just realised how strange i am

anyway, after this i ponder, depressed for a while and then realise the next tournament is only a short while away....its all a big circle that keeps going round and round...except the clay season provided a new circle for me (i.e. nadals wins meant depression was replaced non-stop giggling...well, that what i do when my fave wins!)

Lila
06-07-2005, 09:03 PM

Just kidding.

:lol: :lol: :haha: :haha:
Funny.

Neely
06-07-2005, 09:07 PM
I'm sad. Kiefer lost in one of his favourite tournament of the season first round :sobbing: :(

Now I have to wait another two weeks until I see him playing again :banghead:

I hope some other favs of mine help me getting over this too long break!

Denise
06-07-2005, 09:30 PM
Option 2, although, sometimes i feel very sad when i my faves lose. :sad:;)

Leo
06-08-2005, 12:49 AM
The middle option most of the time. If Ferrero or Youzhny, then usually the enemy list is wipped out and adjusted. ;)

Carolinita
06-08-2005, 01:14 AM
I feel angry and sad for one or two days...then I try to forget it, try to look for something that distracts me (anything is welcome :p )