Why did the RG crowd boo when they thanked the sponsors? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why did the RG crowd boo when they thanked the sponsors?

Tennisfan1981
06-05-2005, 08:12 PM
I don't understand French completely so I couldn't understand everything Mary Pierce and JHH said during their speeches after the final. Why did the crowd boo when they thanked Sony Erikson (sp?) for sponsoring the tournament?

Without sponsors, there would be way less tennis tournaments ... so I was confused why the sponsor would be booed. Something I am missing?

Marine
06-05-2005, 08:32 PM
It's typically a difference of culture between France and the USA.
Publicity, money are taboo in France. It doesn't seem natural, it's like if the players had to bring a advert banner to promote x sponsor...it's just so far from sport spirit and the touching and sincere speeches people like to hear in a ceremony.
I don't know if you can understand for you Americans it's so natural, like to give the check to the finalist directly on the podium. Here it's shoking and classless.
But it wasn't a nasty boo, just funny, and henin and pierce laughed.

Tennisfan1981
06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
It must be a cultural difference. I cannot see how it's shocking and classless to thank Sony Erikson for sponsoring the tournament. If sponsors didn't do what they did, the Grand Slams wouldn't be as big as they are. If there weren't sponsors, I'd be reading about the results of the French Open in tomorrow's newspaper, instead of getting to see it live on TV. I think we owe sponsors a thank you for letting us watch this amazing sport on TV. It's not like JHH and Mary said, "I looooooooooooooove my Sony Erikson phone. They have great service, and you should get one!" They just thanked the company for supporting the tournament. I honestly think it's classy to thank people, not tacky. I guess I will never fully understand the French crowd that boos when players want to check ball marks in the clay and when players need to stop for a second to wipe of the clay from their bodies when they fall down. I am not insulting the French crowd, but their booing puzzles me (a la the Grosjean/Nadal booing, the sponsor booing, the booing of Nadal for going back for his towel to wipe clay off, the booing of EVERY single time someone wanted to check the ball mark in the clay, etc.). It just annoyed me.

Marine
06-05-2005, 08:56 PM
To quote a brand name is forbiden at tv in France.
Don't try to understand. Nevermind.

robinhood
06-05-2005, 08:58 PM

:eek:

delsa
06-05-2005, 09:00 PM
Yeah and what is also sometimes difficult for Anglo-Saxons that like to be politically correct and everything is that booing in France from what i know of it (and in many other latin countries...) from a crowd hasn't at all the same weight, meaning, importance that it may have in their countries... Because it's just seen as a way to participate and show your feelings towards something happening because crowds like to play their part, be satisfied, show their feelings so they're very expressive here and even sometimes talkative in special songs for a special team or player. For exemple, I'm always amazed at the fact that so many American supporters at basket ball matches for exemple carry placards with messages and drawings on them because that's not the way crowds express themselves in France where i live...but in the US they're all singing the same "defence defence" no matter where they are when here a crowd of supporters take pride in inventing special unique songs... and there are many other differences i've noticed. Booing like cheering, applauding, singing, screaming, whistling etc...is just a way to express a feeling toward something (mostly when the crowd is amused or unhappy...) it's rarely truely disrespectful... It means : "we didn't like that", "don't show off like that", "don't discuss this call" or like in yesterday's RG women's final to Mary Pierce :"how could you miss this smatch" and "don't speak of materialistic things during such an emotional speech it ruins all the effect" etc...

Marine
06-05-2005, 09:08 PM
Well said delsa (your english is so good, you can express prefectly what you mean, not me :( )

About advertisning...for example, all brand's names are hiden ( the image of the brand is blured) in foreign movies.

jmp
06-05-2005, 09:09 PM
These cultural differences are pretty interesting. Thanks for the European point of view. :)

Damita
06-05-2005, 09:11 PM
It must be a cultural difference. I cannot see how it's shocking and classless to thank Sony Erikson for sponsoring the tournament. If sponsors didn't do what they did, the Grand Slams wouldn't be as big as they are. If there weren't sponsors, I'd be reading about the results of the French Open in tomorrow's newspaper, instead of getting to see it live on TV. I think we owe sponsors a thank you for letting us watch this amazing sport on TV. It's not like JHH and Mary said, "I looooooooooooooove my Sony Erikson phone. They have great service, and you should get one!" They just thanked the company for supporting the tournament. I honestly think it's classy to thank people, not tacky.
Yeah, as Marine said it's not in our culture to thank the sponsors. Because sponsors have to do with money, not with the sport itself. I mean, of course they're necassry to the sport, but during ceremonies what we want to applaud is the winner, the finalist, the great fight during the match, the emotions they both share with the public... not only in tennis, in all sports.
Like we don't like to talk about money, and how much ppl earn, etc. Because it's considered tactless, especially in regard to the ppl who don't earn much money. So you'll never see the tournament's officials bringing the big check on court like they do in other tournaments. It's just not in our traditions, and again we prefer applauding the winner for what he has achieved more than for the amount of money he won.

I'm not sure if it's easy to understand for foreigners. But money isn't a topic we discuss on a "public place". For instance actors, singers, etc.. in France most of them won't say in a tv show how much they won for a film or with an album...
It's a bit hypocritical i think. For instance in sports, sponsors are necessary it's normal players thank them, and so i think it's hypocritical not to want to mention them in the final speech... but it's not yet part of our state of mind.
But as Marine said, when they booed it wasn't mean. Everyone knows sponsors are important and everyone knows players have to do it. So they weren't being mean, it's more like they tease the players ;)

I guess I will never fully understand the French crowd that boos when players want to check ball marks in the clay and when players need to stop for a second to wipe of the clay from their bodies when they fall down. I am not insulting the French crowd, but their booing puzzles me (a la the Grosjean/Nadal booing, the sponsor booing, the booing of Nadal for going back for his towel to wipe clay off, the booing of EVERY single time someone wanted to check the ball mark in the clay, etc.). It just annoyed me.
oh on this i totally agree. I don't get why they do that. I mean, they are some players who can argue on every point, and in those cases i can understand the ppl booing because it's annoying. But now in RG and Bercy the crowd tends to boo even everytime a player check a point or ask athe umpire to do so, even if he odes that only once in the match... that's very annoying :mad: Everytime they do that, whether i'm watching it on TV or whether i am there, i just think: oh please, give the poor guy a break!
I really don't get why things have gone this way, but i agree it's annoying :shrug:

Damita
06-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Don't try to understand. Nevermind.
Well that's another problem.
You can't use a brandname without asking permission. Copyrights ;) that's all.
And sometimes you can't mention a brandname because it would be considered free advertisment, and so it's unfair for other brandnames selling same products. But if you mention several brandnames then it's not forbidden.:)

Bibir
06-05-2005, 09:16 PM
French people are haters...and they hate everyone equally....That's it! :shrug:

oh, no...I learnt yesterday that they hated even more spanish players.

Marine
06-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Ok, ok, we're mean, nasty, classless, haters etc.... don't go to France, we're crazy.
(I wonder who's the most virulent, the french crowd or some peopleof this forum always critical about french people...)

I learnt today lots people hate us... even French itself !

lau
06-05-2005, 09:30 PM
I love France and french people (but I hated them a little during the Nadal-Grosjean match, haha). :hug: Paris is the most beautiful city I`ve been to, RG is my favourite GS, I adore Bercy MS and Creme Brulée is the most delicious dessert :lol:
And I always felt that speeches at the end of a final should be about emotions and not about thanking sponsors (it`s only my personal opinion.... :rolleyes: ). Although I totally understand why the players thank them ;)

Bibir
06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Ok, ok, we're mean, nasty, classless, haters etc.... don't go to France, we're crazy.
(I wonder who's the most virulent, the french crowd or some peopleof this forum always critical about french people...)

I learnt today lots people hate us... even French itself !
I was kidding Marine...I'm with you...I just don't want to be serious with these threads anymore...I learnt yesterday that MANY people hate us.

I'm french myself...a part of me is...uh?...I was born there. :)

Tennisfan1981
06-05-2005, 09:35 PM
French people are haters? I've had some great experiences with French people ... heck, the first person I kissed was French. I lost my virginity with a French person, too! So, I don't have ill will toward the French ... are you implying that I hate the French because I get annoyed with the booing? That's not really fair.

But to be honest, I don't understand the French language that well. So I didn't know what JHH and Mary Pierce were saying, and I was confused as to why they would be booed for thanking the sponsors. Know I know ...

I can appreciate the way the French people don't talk about money in public. If JHH is Belgian and Mary is kind of French, why would they have thanked the sponsors, knowing that this is very offensive to the French? I can't imagine (French-speaking) Belgium is much different from France in this respect. Shouldn't JHH have known better?

I think in general the French Open crowd is just too eager to boo. But my hope is to one day be a part of the Roland Garros crowd, and who knows? Maybe I will boo once or twice as well. :)

Bibir
06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
I think in general the French Open crowd is just too eager to boo. But my hope is to one day be a part of the Roland Garros crowd, and who knows? Maybe I will boo once or twice as well. :)
And you'll get used to this intense pleasure! :devil:

Damita
06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
French people are haters? I've had some great experiences with French people ... heck, the first person I kissed was French. I lost my virginity with a French person, too! wow, didn't think we needed to know much about you :lol:

I can appreciate the way the French people don't talk about money in public. If JHH is Belgian and Mary is kind of French, why would they have thanked the sponsors, knowing that this is very offensive to the French? I can't imagine (French-speaking) Belgium is much different from France in this respect. Shouldn't JHH have known better?
oh they both know it. But they have to do it, i mean it's important for the players to thank the sponsors so.... and they know the booing ain't mean. It's not "very offensive" don't worry ;)
I think the players all know how it is in France during the final speeches in the ceremony, and if they don't others tell them about it i guess. For instance, Safin was smiling last year during his speech when the crowd booed. After winning Bercy 3 times i think he knows very well the public here doesn't like this part of the speech ;) But whether they like it or not, it's part of the players' duties in a way...

Neely
06-05-2005, 10:24 PM
It must be a cultural difference. I cannot see how it's shocking and classless to thank Sony Erikson for sponsoring the tournament. If sponsors didn't do what they did, the Grand Slams wouldn't be as big as they are. If there weren't sponsors, I'd be reading about the results of the French Open in tomorrow's newspaper, instead of getting to see it live on TV. I think we owe sponsors a thank you for letting us watch this amazing sport on TV. It's not like JHH and Mary said, "I looooooooooooooove my Sony Erikson phone. They have great service, and you should get one!" They just thanked the company for supporting the tournament. I honestly think it's classy to thank people, not tacky.
Thanks for that, very well said taking the words out of my mouth. I also had a huge problem to understand that. These people who booed there have to realize it's the sponsors who donate the money that they can watch tennis and that this also has a positive effect on their tickets, not only the prize money for the players.

Not too long ago, people applauded as Roger mentioned in his Hamburg speech that he wanted to thank all the sponsors and the people from Qatar who made this event possible and who donated lots of millions of money for the tournament - because the spectators knew that they are the only reason why they can still watch this great tournament in their city. I think that the least they can do is appreciating those companies for a few seconds. Sponsoring is a two-sided business and it takes two parties to make it a successful partnership, and mentioning them for a few seconds in the final ceremony isn't too much out of place I would say.

Tennisfan1981
06-05-2005, 11:00 PM
Now if JHH had said, "Le Kia est superbe! J'adore mon Kia! Achetez un Kia aujourd'hui!", then I would have booed, too. :-)

By the way, my French is probably full of errors so please forgive me. I don't even know the gender of Kia.

You know what really sucks in all of this? That KIA is a sponsor of tennis!!! Why can't our sport get a better sponsor? We deserve some real cars. Kia is the crappiest car ever.

Carito_90
06-05-2005, 11:05 PM
So... if JHH and Mary had said "Thanks to all the sponsors.." blah blah, but without mentioning any in particular they wouldnt have been booed?
Just asking, seriously.

robinhood
06-05-2005, 11:06 PM
You know what really sucks in all of this? That KIA is a sponsor of tennis!!! Why can't our sport get a better sponsor? We deserve some real cars. Kia is the crappiest car ever.

Why? Did losing virginity to a French person not go very smoothly in Kia?

Tennisfan1981
06-05-2005, 11:16 PM
Oh, I didn't lose it in a Kia ... it was a Citreon! :drive: Just kidding!

poundcatt
06-05-2005, 11:33 PM
They thanked the sponsors because they have been told to always do so by the WTA /Atp The tennis organizations want to make sure that these sponsors get their names broadcast so that they'll keep sponsoring tournaments. This is a money-making business decision by these 2 American pro tennis organizations. The players are also told to thank the ball kids, tournament organizers etc. which is why you hear the same thing from every winner, male or female. ATP/WTA have no sensitivity towards cultural issues.

Damita
06-06-2005, 12:05 AM
These people who booed there have to realize it's the sponsors who donate the money that they can watch tennis and that this also has a positive effect on their tickets, not only the prize money for the players.they do realize it Neely. But that's not the problem. As i said before it's just that it's not something...aww, can't find my words. It's considered rude and tactless. I know it's something hard to understand for non-French ppl, i don't know how to explain it better :shrug: (especially as it is somthing i don't really understand myself, i mean i don't understand why money is such a taboo here..)

By the way, my French is probably full of errors so please forgive me. I don't even know the gender of Kia.
nah it's fine ;)

So... if JHH and Mary had said "Thanks to all the sponsors.." blah blah, but without mentioning any in particular they wouldnt have been booed?
Just asking, seriously.hmmmmm...i don't have any special memory of a ceremony where no sponsor had been mentioned by its name....but i think they would boo a little bit anyway. They have nothing against Sony Eriksson or BNP Paribas, or any sponsor in particular you know ;) It's just that we like the players to congratulate each others for their good tournament, to share the emotions with their coaches and families, to thank the judges and ballkids for their great work and the fact they had to support the players' tantrums (:angel: ;)).... in short, we want to hear about sport and emotions only, not money. Even though money is important for the sport i agree. So i think it wouldn't have been really different if they had just thanked "the sponsors" without naming one.

I can't explain it better sorry :shrug:

Carito_90
06-06-2005, 12:07 AM
Got it, thanks ;)

PennyThePenguin
06-06-2005, 01:01 AM

nah...it isn't too bad ;) i've seen worse. like a car flying in the air when u hit 80km/h :D

Hendu
06-06-2005, 02:11 AM
These people who booed there have to realize it's the sponsors who donate the money that they can watch tennis and that this also has a positive effect on their tickets, not only the prize money for the players.

do·nate:

give to a charity or good cause; "I donated blood to the Red Cross for the victims of the earthquake"; "donate money to the orphanage"; "She donates to her favorite charity every month"

donation:

1: a voluntary gift (as of money or service or ideas) made to some worthwhile cause
2: act of giving in common with others for a common purpose especially to a charity

:angel:

:wavey:

buddyholly
06-06-2005, 02:53 AM
Thanking the sponsors is like reminding the French who saved their asses in two World Wars - tasteless and uncultured.

oneandonlyhsn
06-06-2005, 03:18 AM
they do realize it Neely. But that's not the problem. As i said before it's just that it's not something...aww, can't find my words. It's considered rude and tactless. I know it's something hard to understand for non-French ppl, i don't know how to explain it better :shrug: (especially as it is somthing i don't really understand myself, i mean i don't understand why money is such a taboo here..)

nah it's fine ;)

hmmmmm...i don't have any special memory of a ceremony where no sponsor had been mentioned by its name....but i think they would boo a little bit anyway. They have nothing against Sony Eriksson or BNP Paribas, or any sponsor in particular you know ;) It's just that we like the players to congratulate each others for their good tournament, to share the emotions with their coaches and families, to thank the judges and ballkids for their great work and the fact they had to support the players' tantrums (:angel: ;)).... in short, we want to hear about sport and emotions only, not money. Even though money is important for the sport i agree. So i think it wouldn't have been really different if they had just thanked "the sponsors" without naming one.

I can't explain it better sorry :shrug:

I personally can understand why the crowd didnt like the sponsors mentioned. I understand that without the sponsors we wont have the tournaments and all the fancy stuff that comes with it, but I am finding that Tennis is getting so commercial. I think its great but its also sad, I remember one of the WTA players was defeated in AO 2005, she was crying, and 2 hours later she was doing a photoshoot for one of the sponsors. There is nothing wrong with making the image of Tennis bigger, but it seems the pure emotional side of winning and loosing is lost in all the brand names, money and bleh bleh.

I have noticed that European films blur out brand names, I think its cool :yeah: . I remember watching 'Minority Report' thinking is this movie sponsored by Aquafina and Nike. There were so many brand names plastered in every scene it was sickening :o .

deliveryman
06-06-2005, 03:38 AM
The entire world can agree on one thing:

Everyone hates the French.

NATAS81
06-06-2005, 03:42 AM

The French are known for excessant booing.

This isn't anything out of the ordinary, happens every year.

I'm just glad they were into the match and did the wave and made the final, among other hopeful French favorites very exciting to view on the tube.

I wish other Grand Slam's showed that think of support.

Neely
06-06-2005, 10:21 AM
do·nate:
You got me, wrong choice of word :p :(

*julie*
06-06-2005, 10:31 AM

Not the entire world! I don't hate myself... :lol:

Btw, they could have thank the sponsors without mentionning the brand. Otherwise, this is advertisment.

jtipson
06-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Btw, they could have thank the sponsors without mentionning the brand. Otherwise, this is advertisment.

Yes, I agree. The BBC won't take too kindly to that if they do it at Wimbledon, as they have a similar policy: no adverts.

Neely
06-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Maybe my thinking is just too different for that and that's why I don't see any problem when you mention for three seconds the name of the (biggest) official sponsor of the tournament :lol:

*Ljubica*
06-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Don't worry Julie - I dont hate the French - some of my closest friends are French - and I love Roland Garros. As for the sponsors thing - I tend to think that too much talk about money and sponsors is tacky and classless too - but the English view on that is very similar to the French I think. Can you really imagine adverts blaring out over a loudspeaker during change of ends at Wimbledon :eek: l

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Considering it's the corporate wankers who don't care about the game, who are at most of the finals it's good that it wasn't mentioned, the ballkids and the people who sweep the court are more important.

Neely
06-06-2005, 11:18 AM
Considering it's the corporate wankers who don't care about the game, who are at most of the finals it's good that it wasn't mentioned, the ballkids and the people who sweep the court are more important.
Wouldn't disagree with you on this one that other people are also important, but so are the sponsors who support the tournament by many other ways and of course they want something in return for that and I don't have any problems with that.

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 11:20 AM
Wouldn't disagree with you on this one that other people are also important, but so are the sponsors who support the tournament by many other ways and of course they want something in return for that and I don't have any problems with that.

Well the sponsors aren't doing it out of love are they? It's a business to them and a business only.

Neely
06-06-2005, 11:29 AM
Well the sponsors aren't doing it out of love are they? It's a business to them and a business only.
Sure, I said it myself that they want something in return for that and that they therefore don't do it out of love. And my point of view is that busniess partners have to be kept happy and that a few extra goodies that go beyond minimum contract requirements can help in doing so which again might attract more business partners which then again vitalises the competition.

iliketennis
06-06-2005, 11:35 AM
At the Australian Open this year, each of the finalists thanked Garnier and Kia. Booing for sponsers is just unacceptable. No French people on MTF act like immature brats, what is the difference for the RG crowd???

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 11:37 AM
Sure, I said it myself that they want something in return for that and that they therefore don't do it out of love. And my point of view is that busniess partners have to be kept happy and that a few extra goodies that go beyond minimum contract requirements can help in doing so which again might attract more business partners which then again vitalises the competition.

Well there is always a point where the financial train will get derailed and well you have seen Hamburg as a result and the boom/slowdown in German tennis in general.

I have no problem at all with what they did in France and at Wimbledon when it comes to this, these wonderful sponsors are the ones who help the make the game inaccessible to many people.

Neely
06-06-2005, 11:47 AM
George, if the train gets derailed, it's all about bringing it back on track. Bad examples can always be given, but no way that such high standards of tennis or other professional sports can be kept alive without sponsorships of any kind. And that's why I acknowledge those business partners as important ones as long as they don't want to influence what is happening during the points that are played.

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 11:49 AM
George, if the train gets derailed, it's all about bringing it back on track. Bad examples can always be given, but no way that such high standards of tennis or other professional sports can be kept alive without sponsorships of any kind. And that's why acknowledge those business partners as important ones as long as they don't want to change what is happening during the points that are played.

When did I say otherwise? I mean why else do you think the Champs League is what it is now? It's not because they have the best interests of the players and tennis is the same.

If they actually cared about the product wouldn't they be wanting less tournaments, but they are taking the quantative or qualitive route.

SanTaureau Fan
06-06-2005, 12:00 PM
Well my idea of politeness is... When a player speaks to a crowd, even if you disagree with what she said, tact suggests to NOT boo.

It was a very emotional speech by both players, I think they deserved a total respect. Sure I thought the mention of Sony was fake and unnecessary, but it just wasn't the appropriate time to express disagreement by the crowd.

buddyholly
06-06-2005, 12:54 PM

This defence of French rudeness does not hold up. Why did the Fench crowd not run around the stadium pulling down the ads that surround the court? Why did they not boo the players for wearing ads on their shirts?

babsi
06-06-2005, 01:39 PM
This defence of French rudeness does not hold up. Why did the Fench crowd not run around the stadium pulling down the ads that surround the court? Why did they not boo the players for wearing ads on their shirts?
Because they had all those ads around the stadium and the players do wear signs on there clothing -there is no need to mention the sponsors in your "thank you" speech.
The Officales however, can thank the sponors,when they do there little speeches - there is nothing wrong with that - it´s part of there job.

Neely
06-06-2005, 01:43 PM
Why did they not boo the players for wearing ads on their shirts?
That's a good idea. I would boo them consistently. These annoying jerks try to make the best out of their situations by selling the allowed amount of space on their outfits... unbelievable... :rolls: ;) rip these logos off theirs clothes! :p