How about a Puerta Congratulations Thread!!!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How about a Puerta Congratulations Thread!!!!

FrogBurger
06-05-2005, 05:11 PM
He is not a player I am at all familiar with, he got to the final and took a set off Nadal, he looked pretty gracious with his plaque and it was a great final so MANY AND SINCERET CONGRATULATIONS PUERTA whatever your first name is? Is it Mariano? He must be sitting pretty with the largest cash award in a tournament he ever won and motivated to do it again and better next clay season and RG so Congratulations Man! :) :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

NicoFan
06-05-2005, 05:15 PM
Mariano played an awesome match...definitely have to congratulate him on a great job.

Showed a lot of class afterwards, and looked like he was going to cry when he said that he felt as if he had won. Made me cry.

He's a very solid player...I hope we'll see a lot of him - and I like his game.

euroka1
06-05-2005, 05:18 PM
He deserves all the congratulations. He played great. I thought it was going to a fifth set. Best final in quite a time.

Choupi
06-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Great idea for a thread. He definitely deserves one. He's coming back from so far, after all he's been through. He's hinted at it in his speech, and that's when tears came to his eyes. Being in the final of the tournament he's been dreaming of, since he's a little kid, was such a great achievement for him. Even more so after getting through the darkest period of his life.

Congratulations Mariano. Thanks for the show. And hope to see you next year! :D

oxy
06-05-2005, 05:21 PM
I think he did very well....his road to the finals wasn't a fluke....he is the one player in this whole RG that gave Rafa a real fight and trouble...Mariano u have been really great and fantastic finalist!!!! :bigclap:

the cat
06-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Puerta is one of the most impressive finalists I have seen in ages. :D He is a very worthy finalist and would have been a very worthy 2005 Frenhc Open champion. I was actually more impressed with Puerta today than Nadal. Puerta has more shots and gave Nadal trouble chaning from topspin groundies to flat groundies. But I credit Rafael for figuring out a way to win the championship.

marcelwks
06-05-2005, 05:22 PM
Mariano :worship: is great to see you in great form after 5 long years :worship:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41220000/jpg/_41220989_puertadive300.jpg

PatatRiek
06-05-2005, 05:22 PM
what did Puerta do in the 1set when 15-40 down... fake an injury? :rolleyes:

shame on you boy :mad: so glad you lost :devil:

pryss
06-05-2005, 05:23 PM
congratulations mariano! that was definitely an amazing final and made RG all worthwhile (even made me like clay a little bit). i hope we see a lot of him in the future :D

undomiele
06-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Mariano youve got a real heart for the game. He really made the tournament end on a very memorable note. :worship:

adelaide
06-05-2005, 05:26 PM
congrats Mariano :bigclap: it was an amazing match :D

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Congradulations Mariano. You will have won alot of respect from that magnificent display. To play your very best tennis on the biggest match of your life is something to be very pround of.

*Ljubica*
06-05-2005, 05:31 PM
Great idea FrogBurger. And any new Mariano fans are more than welcome to visit his Forum here on MTF. He played a great match today - and was one of the most gracious and sincere losing finalists I can remember. And NicoFan - his speech made me cry too :sad:

kim-fan
06-05-2005, 05:31 PM

err, this is an congratulations thread :)

---

Puerta is defenitely a new favourite of mine :worship:

Mane
06-05-2005, 05:34 PM
err, this is an congratulations thread :)

---

Puerta is defenitely a new favourite of mine :worship:

I saw him in Umag 00' when he lost to Rios in the final. it was a great match!

Cris
06-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Congratulations to Mariano on his excellent performance in Roland Garros!! :worship:

Sparko1030
06-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Puerta played a great match-I think he was probably overlooked by most (inlcuding me) but he played well and displayed much class after the match. I was very impressed with him. I'll keep a closer eye on him in the future!

oxy
06-05-2005, 05:41 PM

why are there such people around???

Mrs. B
06-05-2005, 05:41 PM
i had the pleasure to see his match against Ljubicic at court no. 3. Being a lefty myself i was really impressed, not only with his game, but also his quiet demeanor on court. Also after having read about his bad times, you can't help but admire the guy.

Bravo, Mariano! Good luck in the future!

lau
06-05-2005, 05:43 PM

He didn`t fake anything. He`s really injured (I don`t know how to translate the kind of injury he has got). He said that in the post match interview. He saw a doctor yesterday (or on Friday, I don`t remember) and gave it all to play this final. He didn`t want this to be known before the final ;)
So......
:clap2: :clap2: CONGRATULATIONS MARIANO!!!! AND THANK YOU FOR ALL THAT TENNIS!!!! :clap2: :clap2:

EDIT: He won`t play the next tournament. He doesn`t know if he`ll play in 1 or 2 weeks and hopes to be healthy enough to play in Wimbledon :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...... SOOOOO, PatatRiek, It would be helpful if you post when you know what you`re talking about :rolleyes: :p

Aphex
06-05-2005, 05:44 PM
:yeah:

ClaycourtaZzZz.
06-05-2005, 05:48 PM
congrats!!!!
go on for wimby!!!;)

ataptc
06-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Impressive stuff by Mariano! He deserves all the congratulations! :yeah:

mandoura
06-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Great tourney Mariano :hatoff:. One of the best finals for a long time. You won a lot of supporters who would love to see you more. Keep it up man. :clap2:

Hagar
06-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Big congratulations to Puerta.
I'm almost more impressed with him than with Nadal. I mean, Nadal is a fantastic player, you know he will play great shots and most probably win the match. But for Nadal this seems to be natural because he is so good.
It's great to see a non-seeded player play his first Grand Slam final without complexes, give his all, make the most of this unique opportunity. See how he kept trying. His net play is not great but he kept trying and played some great volleys.
In the end he had to let the victory to Nadal but he did that without frustration or bitter feelings.
From now on, I'll follow this player. I like him.

Denaon
06-05-2005, 05:59 PM
Congrats!!! Such a pity you've played the very best player in clay today......:worship:

jmp
06-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Great HEART from Mariano. What a player! What a sportsman! What a nice guy! All the best to you in life, Mariano. :D

richard gasquet
06-05-2005, 06:04 PM
Congrats to mariano puerta :worship:

he is a great player and fighter :yeah: wish him the best for the rest of the season ;) ;)

Mechlan
06-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Congrats to Mariano for a great fight! Time and time again, I kept counting him out and he kept proving me wrong. He was so close to pushing the match on to a 5th too, and really, for him to come out and fight so hard made up a lot for an otherwise disappointing tournament. So congrats again, Mariano. Well deserved.

mer
06-05-2005, 06:22 PM
:worship:

sigmagirl91
06-05-2005, 06:25 PM
Good tournament, Mariano. You've proven to us that you can come back strong. Good luck with the rest of your season.

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-05-2005, 06:39 PM
Oh, yes, congratulations!

Jenrios
06-05-2005, 06:48 PM
Congrats to Puerta - he played a great match. Would have been great if it had gone to a 5th set.

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 06:53 PM
Absolutely!! :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap: :bigclap:

It was a wonderful tournament for him and the world got to see who he is and how great of a fighter he is, etc. I'm so glad that I got to see several of his matches.

And I also always love having a new lefty to cheer for! ;)

gillian
06-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Kudos to Mariano for putting up a good fight.

roisin
06-05-2005, 07:09 PM
Fair play to him! I didn't give him a hope in hell, but the fantastic final made up for the crapness of the rest of the tournament!

Denise
06-05-2005, 07:11 PM
Great tournie Mariano.
IMO he played well today, in fact, the whole RG tournie. With a high level, when i was surprised to see him on the final. Well, I dunno if i will see him playing other grand slam final again... but i think now it's his chance to prove if he is really comeback!

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 07:11 PM
:worship: a splendid performance from Puerta. I thought he could take a set off Nadal if he played well, and he almost took 2...maybe he'd have won if he forced a 5th?

Never mind though...an awesome 13 days for him...I hope he can maybe go one better before his career ends.

athina7
06-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Well for those of us who thought this would be a crappy final, Puerta really showed us! What a match! He played some great tennis today. He really proved that he did belong in the RG final. Congratulations Mariano :worship:
I really like this guy!

snaillyyy
06-05-2005, 07:17 PM
:yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :worship: Nice job Mariano!!! It turned out to be a great final to watch, and I hope we see alot more of him the future!!!!

oneandonlyhsn
06-05-2005, 07:23 PM
Mariano, my hero. He got himself a new fan, I was in tears when he said that despite not winning he felt like he won today. He deserves so much respect and admiration for making such a come back, and that BH is a beauty.

Fergie
06-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Great match Mariano and big congrats for your great RG :worship:

fco253
06-05-2005, 08:11 PM
You know guys?
He even played the final with a half cm tear in the back of his upper leg, and then on top of that he hurt the other leg in 1st running for a drop shot and even like this he gave him fits to the best clay player on the world ....

CONGRATS YOU BIG WARRIOR!!!!!!!!!!!

nermo
06-05-2005, 08:41 PM
The guy was real Good ..not only today..but all Along the Tourney ..he can be a real fighter with strong powers ..just need some mental stability ..and he ll be more Dangerous..hope to see more of him..

Jinx
06-05-2005, 09:20 PM
MARIANO is the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Nadal was a great champion, Nadal can get to all of the balls, Nadal is awesome!, Nadal seems from another planet...

Mariano has a lot of heart, he is strong, he does never give up, he is awesome

I congratulate both of them for such a great match

But specially Mariano for giving us such a great final, more than ve could expect!!

MARIANO, keep going!!!!!!!!!!!!! :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

tennisace
06-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Congratulations Mariano on a wonderful final and a great two weeks. Showed so my heart out there. He deserves to proud of himself. Battled to the bitter end. I've been following him since the beginning of the clay season in SA *thanks TTC*, and it was no fluke that he got to the final.

:worship: Mariano :worship:

Angle Queen
06-05-2005, 09:40 PM
:hatoff:

MariaV
06-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Congratulations Mariano on a wonderful final and a great two weeks. Showed so my heart out there. He deserves to proud of himself. Battled to the bitter end. I've been following him since the beginning of the clay season in SA *thanks TTC*, and it was no fluke that he got to the final.

:worship: Mariano :worship:

Certainly no fluke. Good to see him back. he had a good claycourt season. :hatoff: Congratulations Mariano! :hatoff:

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 09:47 PM
Congratulations, Puerta.

VingaRafel
06-05-2005, 10:08 PM
Yeap.. congratulations, you played great today, you really did.

Jennay
06-05-2005, 10:15 PM
Felicidades, Mariano. :hatoff:

gvhvhg
06-05-2005, 10:16 PM
GREAT Thread...this guy gave 100% physically and mentally and that has not gone unnoticed. He earned alot of worldwide respect today. Well done Mariano!

Aguante_el_Gato
06-05-2005, 10:23 PM
Felicitaciones Mariano!!!! :hatoff:

VingaRafel
06-05-2005, 10:35 PM
I just read his interview, and he was really classy, a real gent.

He is a nice guy, he has no harsh feelings. I like that. He just won a new fan.

There will be another chance for you Mariano, don't worry. Good things happen to good people.

Congrats for a great tournament.

Pea
06-05-2005, 10:45 PM
You gave a hell of a fight, Mariano!!:worship:

robinhood
06-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Great effort, Mariano!

YoursTruly
06-06-2005, 02:18 AM
Great job Mariano! And he wasn't just a finalist, he had it all to win the title that it wouldn't have been surprising to see him lift the trophy. :)

Mimi
06-06-2005, 02:44 AM
yes, a runner up at FO, very good results :worship:

nikkita
06-06-2005, 03:32 AM
Congratulations Mariano... :worship:

NATAS81
06-06-2005, 03:35 AM
GREAT Thread...this guy gave 100% physically and mentally and that has not gone unnoticed. He earned alot of worldwide respect today. Well done Mariano!
He sure earned my respect, he's had a terrific season and this wasn't anything special in my books.

Davydenko would've been just as much of a surprise as Mariano, IMO.

Unfortunately, they both met and Davy will have his chance again in '06.

Daniela_CABJ
06-06-2005, 03:43 AM
Mariano, thank you for making me happy during the whole tournament :worship:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-06-2005, 04:07 AM
I think it was mean that Bud Collins said to his face "Before this tournament, nobody had heard of you. Now everyone is screaming Puerta, Puerta.'" And Puerta shook his head as if that was right. I think your typical die-hard tennis fan had heard of him. He's been around for a while. Maybe not the most notable career, but people have heard of him. And that's why there was shock that he got to final, because people were like, "Woah, how'd he get there?" But if people hadn't heard of him, they'd react like, "Woah, who the hell is this new guy in the FO final?"

lol. I'm totally not very good at getting my point across. Anyway, yay Puerta!!!!!

Exodus
06-06-2005, 05:16 AM
He was really impressed by the way he played def. but he also kinda blew the 4. set when he lost 3 breakpoints and 3 setpoints

Daniel
06-06-2005, 05:44 AM
Marianoooooooo :bigclap: :D

Nikki♥
06-06-2005, 06:51 AM
Mariano is a great fighter, he definitely didn´t make it too easy for Rafael. My kudos to him and good luck for his career.

*Ljubica*
06-06-2005, 07:07 AM
I think it was mean that Bud Collins said to his face "Before this tournament, nobody had heard of you. Now everyone is screaming Puerta, Puerta.'" And Puerta shook his head as if that was right. I think your typical die-hard tennis fan had heard of him. He's been around for a while. Maybe not the most notable career, but people have heard of him. And that's why there was shock that he got to final, because people were like, "Woah, how'd he get there?" But if people hadn't heard of him, they'd react like, "Woah, who the hell is this new guy in the FO final?"

lol. I'm totally not very good at getting my point across. Anyway, yay Puerta!!!!!

My reaction to that is "Who the hell is Bud Collins?". I'm sure very few people outside the States have ever heard of him - I certainly never head until I joined MTF!!!!

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 07:40 AM
Bud Collins is a bald American tennis historian of sorts who wears bad pants.

Well played Puerta for the 2 weeks and he definitely made Rafa work for the win and that's all that can be asked.

*Ljubica*
06-06-2005, 07:45 AM
Bud Collins is a bald American tennis historian of sorts who wears bad pants.

Well played Puerta for the 2 weeks and he definitely made Rafa work for the win and that's all that can be asked.

Bad pants are better than no pants I guess :devil:

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 08:01 AM
Bad pants are better than no pants I guess :devil:

Then again I have been accused of being Bud Collins, he does have good hair though.

Puerta did himself proud and handled the occasion very well.

CooCooCachoo
06-06-2005, 08:09 AM
Well, I always disliked Puerta but my view of him definitely became milder throughout the tournament. I even wanted him to win the final :eek:

Great job to him and now let's see if he can get a win on a different surface too :o

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 08:18 AM
Well, I always disliked Puerta but my view of him definitely became milder throughout the tournament. I even wanted him to win the final :eek:

Great job to him and now let's see if he can get a win on a different surface too :o

You must hate Nadal for that to happen.

CooCooCachoo
06-06-2005, 08:28 AM
You must hate Nadal for that to happen.

Well, it's my dislike of Nadal combined with growing respect for Puerta ;)

girL_
06-06-2005, 10:26 AM
Puerta was a hero of yesterday's match, that's for sure. A grat comeback, Mariano! Well done! I hope he'll go on playing that desperately and beautiful, fighting for each point... at some moment of yes2day's match I started to think he really deserved to win... I mean, he fought like a real man, that deserves respect... and he went on playing despite his pain and injured leg... all in all, I'm glad for Mariano and wish him all the best. :}

jazz_girl
06-06-2005, 10:52 AM
I'm soooooooooooooooo happy for him! He played such a great match! I didn't think he was gonna win, but I was sure he was gonna fight throughout the whole match, and he didn't disappoint me.
And I'm also really glad how the press here is treating him. It's not the usual press saying that he lost, but he could have won it, and all that crap. They're just saying how well he played, how he made everyone proud and they're congratulating him :yeah: