Great Match - So much better than the Nadal_Fed Semi [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Great Match - So much better than the Nadal_Fed Semi

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 05:42 PM
And so much better than the Gaudio-Coria final last year too. A real classic. They both played great.

VingaRafel
06-05-2005, 05:43 PM
Congratulations RAFA... you deserve it !!! You are truly the best!

oxy
i agree....very great match from both players!!!

Shy
It was a grat match. Too bad, there is no 5 match.

oxy
06-05-2005, 05:44 PM
congrats to rafa for winning his first GS at 19!!!!

congrats to mariano for performing so well and making it a good final!!!

VingaRafel
06-05-2005, 05:45 PM
He is cryiiiiiinnnnggg....... poor thing!!! You did it.. you did it !! It's all over now Rafa.. congratulations..... buahhhh... I'm crying too..

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 05:46 PM
It was a grat match. Too bad, there is no 5 match.

Agree. That's the one regret. It would have been nice for the match to have gone 5 sets. The match deserved it.

Hagar
06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Awesome match, I was in tennis heaven...

azinna
06-05-2005, 05:50 PM
Great Stuff!!!!

lucashg
06-05-2005, 05:53 PM
Finally a GS final worth seeing this year. Great match by both, congrats Nadal and Puerta for their run! :p

~EMiLiTA~
06-05-2005, 05:56 PM
agreed...puerta looked like he was tougher to beat than federer

the cat
06-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Well said Chis. The Nadal/Puerta final was an impressive display of all court clay court tennis. Nadal is deserving champion and I can't remember a more deserving finalist in grand slam play than Puerta. :D

alfonsojose
06-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Finally a GS final worth seeing this year. Great match by both, congrats Nadal and Puerta for their run! :p
:shrug: Australia final wasn't bad at all. Besides, Pierce vs. Henin was way better ;)

bk4ever
06-05-2005, 06:02 PM
Rafe is just amazing, the boy has some serious defense to offense skills :worship:

On to Grass...flatten out those shots Rafe ;)

euroka1
06-05-2005, 06:02 PM
I didn't expect such a great match! One of the best finals in quite some time. Wonderful for future tennis!! :) :)

alfonsojose
06-05-2005, 06:03 PM
awesome match :bowdown:

jmp
06-05-2005, 06:06 PM
Well said Chis. The Nadal/Puerta final was an impressive display of all court clay court tennis. Nadal is deserving champion and I can't remember a more deserving finalist in grand slam play than Puerta. :D

Well put! :D

Rafael y Mariano, muy bien! :bigclap: :bowdown:

Alvarillo
06-05-2005, 06:11 PM
;) amazing match!

*Ljubica*
06-05-2005, 06:14 PM
Yes - totally amazing match - I loved it. Of course I'm a little sad that Mariano didn't win - but he fought well, and Rafa will be a deserving champion I'm sure. Thanks to them both for such an awesome display of guts, determination, athletic ability, good sportsmanship and talent. Good Luck to them both in the future.

Mrs. B
06-05-2005, 06:16 PM
a classic claycourt match! too bad it didn't go 5 sets, but simply fantastic!

Kudos to both players. :)

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Im trying to think of the last Grand Slam final that was this good and while both Federer v Roddick Wimbledon last year and Sampras v Agassi 2002 were good matches I think this was the most enjoyable final since the Goran-Rafter classic.

Lady Natalia
06-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Im trying to think of the last Grand Slam final that was this good and while both Federer v Roddick Wimbledon last year and Sampras v Agassi 2002 were good matches I think this was the most enjoyable final since the Goran-Rafter classic.

Personally, I think the Federer/Hewitt final at the US was great. How often do we someone play such superior tennis in a final. First time in 120yrs someone won two sets at love in US final history. That's pretty good.

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 06:33 PM
Personally, I think the Federer/Hewitt final at the US was great. How often do we someone play such superior tennis in a final. First time in 120yrs someone won two sets at love in US final history. That's pretty good.

Yes, Federer played perhaps the most perfect final of the modern era there but it wasn't a match. More an exhibition. It takes two players to make a match and Hewitt wasn't up to it.

undomiele
06-05-2005, 06:39 PM
This is really Nadal's and Puerta's moment - they played their hearts out today.

(PS: No point talking about Roger in this sense. :devil: )

star
06-05-2005, 06:42 PM
I liked the semi too. It's always interesting to see doubt, frustration, and anger on Federer's normally serene face.

alexito
06-05-2005, 06:44 PM
yes, the final was better because federer play so bad, how players number 200 ranking , mariano play great tournament.

star
06-05-2005, 06:45 PM

It was a showcase for Roger, but it wasn't competitive at all. It's always better to see a match where the outcome is uncertain and both players are pushed to their limits. I prefer to see Roger awake and frustrated when he plays. More interesting to see him have to overcome his emotions rather than cruise or sheer talent.

mandoura
06-05-2005, 06:50 PM
:bigclap: Great win by Rafa :worship: . So well deserved.

:hatoff: Great tournament by Mariano. Keep it up man.

NYCtennisfan
06-05-2005, 07:25 PM
That's because Puerta showed up unlike Fed. Rafa played some tremendous tennis yet Puerta was in it until the end and had some chances. Beautiful stuff from both.

NYCtennisfan
06-05-2005, 07:29 PM
My brother, father, and I were at the final and at first we were all mad at Hewitt for not putting up a fight. Then we started to realize that there was nothing he could do about every FH landing inches from the baseline or sideline with a lot of pace. It was just tennis zen by Roger there so we learned to live in the moment of it.

Denise
06-05-2005, 07:36 PM
AMAZING MATCH! I was so excited! Definitely so much better than nadal/federer Semi! The final was so perfect! CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS RAFA! :rocker::worship::banana:

foul_dwimmerlaik
06-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Agreed, a wonderful final, ecpecially compared to a sorry excuse for a match on the women's side. Claycourt tennis of the finest ilk. Pity it didn't go 5.

roisin
06-05-2005, 07:38 PM
yeah i agree, much better than the feds-nadal semi but there was so mcuh hype and expectation about that match, whereas, i for one, never thought this match would've been as good as it turned out to be. :)

:banana: RAFY!!!

lau
06-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I would love to watch a 5th set. But the result felt RIGHT :) . Amazing clay court tennis. I was cheering for Mariano, but Rafa deserves to be the champion. Is a happy day for Mariano`s fans too :clap2:
It`s so nice to watch him playing this tennis and Nadal :scared: is really scary on clay. Good luck for the rest of the season for both.
And YES, this was a better match than the semifinal, much better!!! ;) Great final!!! :)

Mechlan
06-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Yeah, great match, definitely the most competitive GS final of the year. Nadal wasn't as aggressive as I expected, and that really allowed Puerta to step in and hit some big shots. And the number of times he came to net! As usual, great defensive work by Nadal (though he was a little bit out of it the first set) - not as many insane winners as against Ferrer, but enough to get the job done. As for Puerta, for the love of god, work on that drop shot if you're going to use it so much! :o

MariaV
06-05-2005, 10:42 PM
Great final indeed. :yeah: Well, some drama just belong to a good final. Both guys deserve respect. :hatoff:
I was so expecting a straight sets whipping like in the women's final. :o

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
I wouldn't say better, but it definitely had more excitement and drama.

Certainly fulfilled any lofty expectations of a final that I had.

ys
06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
Much more exciting match - especially if that second diving volley by Puerta went over the net.. But otherwise, watching to guys serving 100 mph and then exhausting each other by moonballing can hardly be called tennis. Again, it was about Nadal's ability to run, not about his ballstriking skills..

socaltennisguy
06-05-2005, 10:49 PM
I bet nadal wished on his birthday to win the french. I guess he got his wish..

Jinx
06-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Yeah!! This was much more better than Federer-Nadal, this was a final, A GREAT ONE WITH TWON GREAT PLAYERS....

Better than Fed-Nadal, better than Coria-Gaudio last year...

Not better than CORIA-NADAL in Rome, though...
That was the best final this year for me...

Great Mariano and Rafa, emotional match!!!!!!!

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 10:50 PM
Based on Nadal's speed, I no reason why he couldn't fit the mold of a clay court Hewitt only without the big serve.

Candidate for giving people problems on grass/hardcourt for sure.

ys
06-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Based on Nadal's speed, I no reason why he couldn't fit the mold of a clay court Hewitt only without the big serve.

Candidate for giving people problems on grass/hardcourt for sure.

On grass, with that severe western grip.. With that ability to rturn serve only staying 15 feet behind the baseline.. No way.. Someone like Pim Pim or even Scud or Rusedski will blow him off the court..

rofe
06-05-2005, 10:53 PM
I agree and I think Puerta played really well. Nadal took his own game to the next level accordingly. I was actually only going to watch the highlights but I am happy that I caught the live match from the second set onwards.

I thought Puerta's game was better than Nadal's in terms of finding angles and producing winners but in the end Nadal's tenacity, his retrieval abilities saw him through.

Great match.

Fed's bumbling game (except for the 2nd set) and Nadal's own UE laced game was just too painful to watch.

Puschkin
06-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Indeed, it was a great match most of the time, congrats to both!! Even the slow Parisians finally got involved;)

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 10:55 PM
His tournament at Halle (should he play) will test him quickly.

He should play a tourney before Wimbledon, though.

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 11:30 PM
His tournament at Halle (should he play) will test him quickly.

He should play a tourney before Wimbledon, though.

He says he's playing Halle. But with so little name to get adjusted to the grass and deal with having won Roland Garros I doubt he will get far at all. (If Im wrong about this and end up looking foolish it won't be the first time ;) )

But he is playing Rosmalen the next week and he should get a few matches under his belt there.

rue
06-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Just like Puerta said, Nadal brought out the the best in him but just was not enough to win today.