Pressure [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Pressure

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 01:11 PM
Not so long ago (like a week before Roland Garros started) some posters had a nice discussion (I enjoyed it, different people defending a well-defendable point of view) about if Nadal would face in Roland Garros the highest pressure situation of his life. Some thought he would and some other thought he had gone through other bigger ones that should give him some credit for this new concern (playing his first game in París).

Main example was the DC final against Roddick, and here came the deepest discussion. Some posters said DC was not pressure just motivation (Hewitt declared so) of playing to your country and some others stated motivation was not ruled out but pressure played a big role there. I´ve just read an interview to Nadal and he has declared:

"Tuve mucha más presión en la final de la Davis que ahora”

"I had a lot of more pressure in DC final than now" (later he admits this is the most important match of his career, though)

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
This case is a bit different. Nadal is on the verge of 2 things that 2 of the guys he trained with have already completed. Nadal has the chance to do the Monte Carlo, Rome and RG treble in a year, just like fellow left hander Muster and win on debut just like Wilander did.

In DC he was at home playing in front of an adoring public, now he is doing it for himself and has the label of favourite to win here, plus since the great run he has been hyped up as the 2005 RG winner already.

Nadal has handled all the big occasions before and seems to have the personality to handle them as for the pressure, well he is the huge favourite to win, so if he handles that, then he should win.

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Deivid, you're spanish, aren't you supposed to say "pression" instead...? :p

Like I said, the kid is an animal, I'm not sure he knows what 'pressure' means...

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Yes, despite he has handled quite well all those situations, I agree today is another new test. I think he will win, but it´s far from being a sure thing as some people (Santana :rolleyes: ) think it is

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 01:25 PM
Deivid, you're spanish, aren't you supposed to say "pression" instead...? :p

Like I said, the kid is an animal, I'm not sure he knows what 'pressure' means...

Some helpful person would probably have jumped to make a correction if I had ;)

I don´t have a reason to expect him to fail today, but let´s see, it´s pretty obvious what I´m gonna write, but this scenario is new for him.

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Yes, despite he has handled quite well all those situations, I agree today is another new test. I think he will win, but it´s far from being a sure thing as some people (Santana :rolleyes: ) think it is

This is the biggest one.

I am looking forward to some long rallies and the idiot ys hating the fact that there are 2 lefties in the final is even better.

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 01:27 PM
He'll win, and I put my balls on the line ;)

*Ljubica*
06-05-2005, 01:28 PM
He'll win, and I put my balls on the line ;)

Ouch :eek:

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 01:29 PM
This is the biggest one.

I am looking forward to some long rallies and the idiot ys hating the fact that there are 2 lefties in the final is even better.

Could you believe what this jerk Santana wrote yesterday in one of the main papers in Spain?:

"Congrats Rafa, you´ve won Roland Garros" :shrug:

Exodus
06-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Could you believe what this jerk Santana wrote yesterday in one of the main papers in Spain?:

Santana the singer? could be interesting if he loses

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:32 PM

I hope someone has shown Puerta that.

JMac said it would be a fluke if Puerta won, how much more motivation is needed.

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 01:32 PM
Santana the singer? could be interesting if he loses

Santana the woodpecker

avocadoe
06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
almost time to begin...hoping for a good match :) I think Rafael will handle the pressure fine, I hope Marianno does, too!

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 01:57 PM

That is certainly disrespectful. Puerta deserves his place in the final. I do expect Nadal to win but anytime you have a two horse race you have to give both horses a chance.

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 01:58 PM
almost time to begin...hoping for a good match :) I think Rafael will handle the pressure fine, I hope Marianno does, too!

Agree. Should be a high quality final :)