Is Mario the second best player on grass?? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is Mario the second best player on grass??

Mane
06-05-2005, 12:34 PM
discuss!

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 12:40 PM
Not even the fourth or the fifth.

CooCooCachoo
06-05-2005, 12:41 PM
He's one of the best players around on grass, but not second.

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Not even the fourth or the fifth.

Maybe we will some surprised faces this year in London ;)

bad gambler
06-05-2005, 12:45 PM
not even close

sigmagirl91
06-05-2005, 12:46 PM
No...not even close. We have people like Oscar Hernandez to consider. ;)

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh don't be daft...he was on a hot streak last year that's all :rolleyes:

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 12:54 PM
I expect Mario to improve his performances in Wimbledon. I like him as a player and I think he wil do very well there, letīs see. And I donīt think heīs too far from being the 2nd best player on grass, honestly.

El Legenda
06-05-2005, 12:58 PM
No..not yet..we'll see what happens at wimby. He's probly gonna lose before QF. and fall out of top 20.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:59 PM
No..not yet..we'll see what happens at wimby. He's probly gonna lose before QF. and fall out of top 20.

:yeah:

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I expect Mario to improve his performances in Wimbledon. I like him as a player and I think he wil do very well there, letīs see. And I donīt think heīs too far from being the 2nd best player on grass, honestly.

He is far from it at the moment...he has yet to have consistency in his results (hasn't had the chance yet admittedly). If he reaches the QF then he is well on his way...I always consider him to be just a major threat, on a par with Karlovic and Joachim etc

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Although if he draws Tim for QF or earleir I will cry myself to sleep...

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Maybe in the future, but not now or close to it.

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 01:02 PM
He is far from it at the moment...he has yet to have consistency in his results (hasn't had the chance yet admittedly). If he reaches the QF then he is well on his way...I always consider him to be just a major threat, on a par with Karlovic and Joachim etc

Yes I know I canīt back my opinion with long-time results, take it as a prediction, letīs see if Iīm right, Iīd be surprised if he doesnīt make semis again in the next two Wimbledon.

Mane
06-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Oh don't be daft...he was on a hot streak last year that's all :rolleyes:

You still cannot forgive him that he defeated Henman last year!

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Ancic will make the semis again at Wimbledon barring serious injury, it's just a matter of when.

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 01:07 PM
Joachim has so far done nothing on grass, is he such a threat just because of his serve?
I mean, here we have one of the most one dimensional players ever (he makes Roddick look versatile :tape: ), with poor retrieving skills, and everyone goes:"Oh, he's got a big serve, he's a threat on grass...", Has Rusedski ever been past the quarters? Is Federer the biggest server on the tour?
Cut the bullshit, will ya...?

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Returning on grass is something that tends to get overlooked.

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Maybe in the future, but not now or close to it.

How would you know...?
You haven't watched tennis on grass for years :devil:

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:11 PM
You still cannot forgive him that he defeated Henman last year!

Well...no! :haha: But seriously, he was on a roll then. It is a different thing to come back to the scenes of your triumphs and equal / better them. For all we know he might go out R4 to Nalbandian. I would call that a step back.

gooner88
06-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Joachim has so far done nothing on grass, is he such a threat just because of his serve?
I mean, here we have one of the most one dimensional players ever (he makes Roddick look versatile :tape: ), with poor retrieving skills, and everyone goes:"Oh, he's got a big serve, he's a threat on grass...", Has Rusedski ever been past the quarters? Is Federer the biggest server on the tour?
Cut the bullshit, will ya...?

My thoughts exactly!
I hope this year's Wimbledon champ whoever he is will be an all-rounder and have more than just a big serve.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:12 PM
Yes I know I canīt back my opinion with long-time results, take it as a prediction, letīs see if Iīm right, Iīd be surprised if he doesnīt make semis again in the next two Wimbledon.

QF yeah. I don't expect (HOPE) to see him in the SF for a good few years. ;)

El Legenda
06-05-2005, 01:14 PM
too much has been expect from Mario "baby Goran" all the way since the time he beat Roger at WB. He is already 21 and only 68-65 w-L with 0 titles

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:16 PM

I replied to your observation in a previous thread mate..he has only played 2 events on grass in his career...give him chance!! He lost to Bogo R1 at Notts last year and lost narrowly at R4 Wimby last year. He has played no other ATP grass events.

His serve is a monster and I wouldn't want to face his frame coming to the net...it is only a matter of time as to when he makes it far through the Wimbledon draw. I would be shocked if he never sees at least a QF. His game is perfectly suited to grass.

No he hasn't ;) His serve is always a threat but yeah you're right his retrieval skills, certainly this year, have been shocking. Joachim is a bit better than that.. ;)

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:18 PM
How would you know...?
You haven't watched tennis on grass for years :devil:

Watched Ferrero and Koubek last year. :)

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 01:20 PM
Watched Ferrero and Koubek last year. :)

What a match....
People were wondering: "what's that - green clay...?" :lol:

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 01:23 PM
What a match....
People were wondering: "what's that - green clay...?" :lol:

If matches were that good or like Wimbledon 2002 then even better.

I did watch a DC tie on grass as well.

GoranIvanisevic546346
06-05-2005, 01:37 PM
Maybe not 2nd, but Top 5 surely...i mean who is better then him? Federer, Roddick, Hewitt..i don`t think there is any other.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Maybe not 2nd, but Top 5 surely...i mean who is better then him? Federer, Roddick, Hewitt..i don`t think there is any other.

Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Henman (sorry but I have to say it...Mario caught him on a bad day), Arthurs (???), Bjorkman (???)

Exodus
06-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Federer, Roddick, Hewitt, Henman (sorry but I have to say it...Mario caught him on a bad day), Arthurs (???), Bjorkman (???)

Henman better than Mario LOL

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:45 PM
Henman better than Mario LOL

In terms of consistency etc yeah. There are plenty of players who have achieved more than him, but I guess he hasn't had much chance to equal them yet.

Henman, Federer, Hewitt, Roddick, Arthurs, Bjorkman, Philippoussis, Rusedski etc have done more, and most of them would be better than him on a good day as well.

Exodus
06-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Guess you are from UK but just realize it Tim will never ever win Wimbledon...

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Guess you are from UK but just realize it Tim will never ever win Wimbledon...

Why have you focussed just on Henman? I gave you a list of players better than Ancic in terms of results etc :confused: Besides, did I say he woyld win? No :confused:

Anway, Henman is always a contender...he just needs that luck of a run. At the French there have been many surprise (first-time) finalists...he just maybe needs a little of that luck to spill over the Channel. If he gets into Roddick's half and is away from Hewitt, Federer and now Ancic ( :scared: ) then that is a very good start.

~EMiLiTA~
06-05-2005, 01:50 PM
as much as i like Mario, i can't say he's the second best...although he is good

Exodus
06-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Why have you focussed just on Henman? I gave you a list of players better than Ancic in terms of results etc :confused: Besides, did I say he woyld win? No :confused:

Anway, Henman is always a contender...he just needs that luck of a run. At the French there have been many surprise (first-time) finalists...he just maybe needs a little of that luck to spill over the Channel. If he gets into Roddick's half and is away from Hewitt, Federer and now Ancic ( :scared: ) then that is a very good start.

Because you said Henman was better than Mario. Mario is much more talented than Henman will ever be.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Because you said Henman was better than Mario. Mario is much more talented than Henman will ever be.

Pfff don't make me die laughing.

Exodus
06-05-2005, 01:59 PM
i know you want Henman to win Wimbledon but you should put Roger as the winner

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:01 PM
i know you want Henman to win Wimbledon but you should put Roger as the winner

:confused: Of course I want Henman to win, but yeah Roger has been the undisputed 2005 winner for me ever since he won the US Open last year. What are trying to prove?

Ancic is a good player but top 10 on grass. That is what I have said throughout this thread, and you go off on a tangent.

Exodus
06-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Mario is a top 5 player on grass and Henman is not, gotta go now and watch the final

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:06 PM
Mario is a top 5 player on grass and Henman is not, gotta go now and watch the final

Oh for goodness sake...keep dreaming, and take your troll like mits off this thread.

Chris Seahorse
Ancic is one of a pool of 5 to 7 players who will contend to fill the bottom three semi final places at Wimbledon. He is very good on grass. But a clear 2nd best? I don't think so.

goran_the_2nd
haha.. arthurs, bjorkman, rusedski are better then ancic on grass? hello! ancic is only 20 and he allready has better results then they ever had :) arthurs is like karlovic, serve and nothing else.. rusedski almost the same.. bjorkman? hey, we're not talking about doubles :) i wont say he's 2nd best right now, but in a year or two i cant see anyone better then him (except federer) on grass.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:09 PM
haha.. arthurs, bjorkman, rusedski are better then ancic on grass? hello! ancic is only 20 and he allready has better results then they ever had :) arthurs is like karlovic, serve and nothing else.. rusedski almost the same.. bjorkman? hey, we're not talking about doubles :) i wont say he's 2nd best right now, but in a year or two i cant see anyone better then him (except federer) on grass.

Arthurs - grass court final. Ancic = 0
Bjorkman - 2 grasscourt titles. Ancic = 0
Rusedski - 3 grasscourt titles. Anci = 0

Henman - 3 grasscourt finals, 4 Wimby SF, 4 Wimby QF. Ancic = 1

Apart from his Wimbledon SF last year, Ancic has NEVER threatened on grass. We have to wait a few more years before we can say he is top 5, and cretainly before we can say he is better than Henman.

vincayou
There are many second best. Too bad they are so far from the first one. :P

Exodus
Oh for goodness sake...keep dreaming, and take your troll like mits off this thread.

it's you that are dreaming about Tim winning Wimbledon and i can say my opinion if you don't like it then don't answer

Mane
06-05-2005, 02:11 PM

Apart from his Wimbledon SF last year, Ancic has NEVER threatened on grass. We have to wait a few more years before we can say he is top 5, and cretainly before we can say he is better than Henman.

They are all over 30 and Ancic is just 21! and his game is better than of all of those players.

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 02:12 PM

In a couple years.......hmmm.....yeah it is a real possibility. Not sure about the mental fortitude but that aside it could happen, but it is hard to look ahead more than 2 years....we really don't know who will be improving their games and who won't. In two years we could be praising a new grasscourt phenom that none of us have heard of right now. Things happen fast.

croat123
06-05-2005, 02:14 PM
please don't argue that rusedski is better than mario on grass :o :bs: he lost first round in a challenger this week...on grass

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:17 PM
it's you that are dreaming about Tim winning Wimbledon and i can say my opinion if you don't like it then don't answer

I would love Tim to win Wimbledon but you seem to think my posts are motivated by the fact I THINK he will win it...far from the truth.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion yes, but when you don't read others' opinions properly or distort the truth of them then it it becomes tedious for all concerned.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:18 PM
They are all over 30 and Ancic is just 21! and his game is better than of all of those players.

Which is precisely why he cannot be top 2 or even top 5 yet! They have all achieved something better on grass. He has got 1 SF which he may never achieve again.

For his age he is top 3...but when you compare him to Roddick, Henman, Hewitt etc...he doesn't beat any of them on a good day. Sorry.

Mane
06-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Tim will never win Wimbledon! he is a looser! he lost 6 GS semis!

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:19 PM
please don't argue that rusedski is better than mario on grass :o :bs: he lost first round in a challenger this week...on grass

Well at the moment it is hard to believe he is good on any surface :lol:

I'm just putting him in because he has achieved more than Ancic on the surface...but I guess maybe he was a bad example. Sorry :o

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:21 PM
Tim will never win Wimbledon! he is a looser! he lost 6 GS semis!

Geez, another stupid one. He might never win Wimbledon...but anyway, for the purpose of other posters...I never said he will .

goran_the_2nd
06-05-2005, 02:22 PM

first of all.. he destroyed henman last year, and ancic improved a lot since then, and then.. i didnt even mentioned that he's better then henman..
second.. what did arthurs, bjorkman and rusedski (who by the way are all 10+ years older then mario) do in wimbledon? grass is not a regular surface and lets be honest.. wimbledon is only what's count if we are talking about grass :)

Mane
06-05-2005, 02:23 PM
Geez, another stupid one. He might never win Wimbledon...but anyway, for the purpose of other posters...I never said he will .

You can forget your hopes, He missed his chances! His game is not too good to win a GS!

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:26 PM
first of all.. he destroyed henman last year, and ancic improved a lot since then, and then.. i didnt even mentioned that he's better then henman..
second.. what did arthurs, bjorkman and rusedski (who by the way are all 10+ years older then mario) do in wimbledon? grass is not a regular surface and lets be honest.. wimbledon is only what's count if we are talking about grass :)

Yep I don't deny the fact he destroyed him...he played well. But what I have said is that Henman didn't turn up that day. On a good day he is better than Ancic on grass. He hasn't really improved a lot since then...he always reached up R3 in Slams...the only thing that changed is he reached a final...and lost it to Arthurs :rolleyes:

the title of this thread talks about grass mate, not just Wimbledon ;) Arthurs etc have, no matter how hard it is to accept, achieved more than him on grass. We can class him as top 5 overall in a few years when he follows up his Wimbledon SF. He will undoubtedly do quite well...how well is another matter.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:27 PM
You can forget your hopes, He missed his chances! His game is not too good to win a GS!

Oh so you are so good that you think I should give up on a player that I have supported for 8 years?? That is a really dumb and defeatist attitude. I only hope that other posters see you for who you are and don't take you seriously.

Mane
06-05-2005, 02:31 PM
Oh so you are so good that you think I should give up on a player that I have supported for 8 years?? That is a really dumb and defeatist attitude. I only hope that other posters see you for who you are and don't take you seriously.

I just told you the truth!

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 02:35 PM
I just told you the truth!

No you didn't unless your are a soothsayer.

Oh so everyone but Federer has no chance of winning Wimbledon for the next 3 years? Corretja should retire because he is past it? Coria wasted his only chance of RG glory? Croatia are going to win the Davis Cup this year? WTA ratings are going to continue to fall?

So what you are saying is that you are so smart that you can makesuch comments? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Every fan of a player lives in hope. Federer fans hope he will the French, and believe that some day he might. Are you going to shoot them down as well? Tell me, who are your favourite players then?

fanancic
06-05-2005, 02:37 PM
YES!!! I think that Mario is the second best player on grass..

BiancaUL
06-05-2005, 03:07 PM
I think you can argue he's the 4th best player on grass (based on recent results, current status, and potential) somewhat effectively, but second?

Not so much. Unless Roddick and Hewitt have decided to not to enter this ranking sweepstakes.

While they're both not at their absolute best right now (mostly mental issues for Andy, mostly physical ones for Lleyton), neither one is 'over the hill,' both have won titles on grass, and on their best current day odds are they'll beat Mario on his best current day.

Mane
06-05-2005, 03:14 PM
No you didn't unless your are a soothsayer.

Oh so everyone but Federer has no chance of winning Wimbledon for the next 3 years? Corretja should retire because he is past it? Coria wasted his only chance of RG glory? Croatia are going to win the Davis Cup this year? WTA ratings are going to continue to fall?

So what you are saying is that you are so smart that you can makesuch comments? :haha: :haha: :haha:

Every fan of a player lives in hope. Federer fans hope he will the French, and believe that some day he might. Are you going to shoot them down as well? Tell me, who are your favourite players then?

I said that Roger will win Wimbledon next 3 years!
Croatia has the best Davis Cup team!

Mane
06-05-2005, 04:31 PM
My fave players are Roger, Ivan and mario!

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I haven't read every post, but what about Grosjean, too? He had a Queens final and Wimby SF.... TWO years in a row. I think that makes him better on grass than Mario. Mario has to have another year or two of good results before I'd move him above Roger, Andy, Lleyton, Seb, and Tim.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 07:00 PM
Definitely Grosjean Debs! Sorry I missed him out. :o

Grosjean - 1 title (Nottingham), 2 F at Queen's and 2 SF at Wimbledon. Another player to overtake Ancic in the best grass positions.

:wavey: Ancic.

Chris Seahorse
06-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Yup I forget Seb too. I would go with Deb's top five on grass list as well - and in that order too.

star
06-05-2005, 07:13 PM
I enjoy watching Mario play. I'd like to see him do well this clay court season.

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 07:40 PM
Good, glad I brought Seb into the discussion. He deserves to be there. His results on grass are far better than Ancic's (but he's older. lol).... Mario's great on grass, no doubt. I just don't think he's at the level of the others yet.

Yup I forget Seb too. I would go with Deb's top five on grass list as well - and in that order too.lol I didn't even think about the order I wrote them in, but hey, if you like it... ;)

Denise
06-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I can't consider Mario as the second best player on grass. Ok, he played pretty well in RG, he almost played the fifth set... we have best players on grass! IMO he had just "luck" these two weeks :retard: :p

NYCtennisfan
06-05-2005, 07:45 PM
I think he is in a fight for 4th with Grojean and Henman.

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 07:51 PM
How can he be in a fight with players who have actually won titles and been in finals, consistently over several years?

tennisman.
06-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Andy

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Yup I forget Seb too. I would go with Deb's top five on grass list as well - and in that order too.

I mostly agree with you there but I think Henman is above Grosjean.

Queen's - 2F for Grosjean; 3 for Henman
Wimbledon - 2SF Grosjean; 4 for Henman

Granted Sebbie has won Nottingham but Tim has been consistent on the green stuff over his career.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 08:09 PM
How can he be in a fight with players who have actually won titles and been in finals, consistently over several years?

:worship: Why didn't you come to this thread sooner??!! Could have used some intelligent back-up! :lol: :smash:

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 08:33 PM
:worship: Why didn't you come to this thread sooner??!! Could have used some intelligent back-up! :lol: :smash:Didn't see it til I first posted :p I don't read much of GM anymore :p

I mean, I like Mario a lot and he clearly has oodles of potential on grass (and everywhere else), but his results AT THIS POINT do not put him above the others.

robinhood
06-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Isn't Todd Woodbridge also one of the best on grass?
Yes, he plays only the doubles, but he couldn't have won 9 or however many Wimbledon titles without being good on grass.

I think Mario should produce more decent results on grass to be in this discussion.

ae wowww
06-05-2005, 08:52 PM
Shared a car with him today from Surbiton to Queens. He seems very friendly, and is certainly optimistic ahead of the grass season.

Bart.
06-05-2005, 09:13 PM
I hate him :tape:

don't know why though :o

Mane
06-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I hate him :tape:

don't know why though :o

haha! I love mario but not more than Ivan or Roger!

Yoda
06-05-2005, 09:41 PM
I'd take Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, Henman, Grosjean, Ljubo, Nalbandian ahead of Ancic.
And people like Dent, F.Lopez & Miryni are on a par with Ancic.

Flame away guys\girls :wavey:

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 09:45 PM
Ancic's results on grass have been better than Ljubicic's, haven't they?

There was a day when I'd absolutely agree about Andre, but I don't know anymore. If Andre goes in there, then I'd say there's a decent argument that Flip does too.

Yoda
06-05-2005, 09:52 PM
Ancic's results on grass have been better than Ljubicic's, haven't they?

There was a day when I'd absolutely agree about Andre, but I don't know anymore. If Andre goes in there, then I'd say there's a decent argument that Flip does too.

That they have, Debs. Ljubicic can out serve Ancic and has a better return game....he's gonna show it on grass this year.
Andre still got it, and Ibelieve he can better Ancic on grass
Flip just gone AWOL.

'Brad Pitt' Stepanek also on a par with Ancic

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 09:58 PM
Well when Ljubicic posts results that are better than Ancic's, and better than the top 5 I listed earlier, then I will adjust my opinion (same for my opinion of Stepanek, but I agree with you that in theory he should have good results on grass too). But right now, I don't feel that either of them are in the top 5. But at least Ancic has a slam SF and a few real good wins on the surface to at least make the argument.

Flip has gone AWOL, but his grass results are far better than Ancic's, that's all I'm saying. If you want to talk about Andre - who didn't even play Wimbledon last year, it seems fair to include Flip too, that's all I'm saying ;)

Yoda
06-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Well when Ljubicic posts results that are better than Ancic's, and better than the top 5 I listed earlier, then I will adjust my opinion (same for my opinion of Stepanek, but I agree with you that in theory he should have good results on grass too). But right now, I don't feel that either of them are in the top 5. But at least Ancic has a slam SF and a few real good wins on the surface to at least make the argument.

Flip has gone AWOL, but his grass results are far better than Ancic's, that's all I'm saying. If you want to talk about Andre - who didn't even play Wimbledon last year, it seems fair to include Flip too, that's all I'm saying ;)

Fair comments ;)
Where would u put Nalby....he did reach Wimby final
And now we have a new conundrum in the form of Nadal
Gut feelings says that they both can take on Ancic on Grass

goran_the_2nd
06-05-2005, 11:04 PM
doh guys... is name of this topic best results over the years on grass or the 2nd best player on grass right now? and once again.. its hard to decide who is 2nd best, but any realistic person would say ancic MAY be. lets see why...
roddick, i would say, isnt the same player this year, he's in much worse form this year than year ago, and we all remember that he had some hard time against ancic, and ancic, without any doubt (for those who watched him not only saw his scores), made some progress since last year. then we have hewitt, who may be also better then mario but he has broken rib(?), and who knows in what form will he appear in wimbledon. then we have hennman, who's time to do something was 2 years ago. he isnt the same player anymore.. and we could also argue that he only had a bad day against mario last year, i for example wouldnt say that. then there is nalbandian and grosjean who could also do well in wimbledon, but lets be honest, their game isnt suited for grass.. and on a good day ancic could beat them easily in three, four sets max ;). we also have safin, who hate's the grass but could destroy anyone on a good day, and you could say that also for few other players with great servs like arthurs, mirny, ljubicic.. but to say they are better then ancic on grass right now? i dont think so ;)

NATAS81
06-05-2005, 11:10 PM
Haven't seen enough of Ancic to pass judgement, definitely top 5'er on grass.

I will narrow that down as he breezes through to the semi's/quarters/whatever those dinkin boxes have lowered my thought process to.

croat123
06-05-2005, 11:31 PM
when playing his best, mario is probably right behind federer on grass. but mario rarely ever plays his best, he's too mentally weak

El Legenda
06-06-2005, 12:05 AM

deb u hater ;) :p

Horatio Caine
06-06-2005, 01:00 AM
Shared a car with him today from Surbiton to Queens. He seems very friendly, and is certainly optimistic ahead of the grass season.

You shared a car with Ancic??? You a VIP Andy? :)

Horatio Caine
06-06-2005, 01:01 AM
I'd take Roddick, Hewitt, Agassi, Henman, Grosjean, Ljubo, Nalbandian ahead of Ancic.
And people like Dent, F.Lopez & Miryni are on a par with Ancic.

Flame away guys\girls :wavey:

I agree with all of the above...apart from Ljubo. Any discussion about Ljubo's greatness on grass, AMS or Grand Slams is just wrong!

Horatio Caine
06-06-2005, 01:10 AM
If all you pro-Mario supporters think he is 2nd best...watch him get to the final then...or lose to Federer before. I DO NOT expect to see him in the final or anywhere past the QF in fact, this year.

If you are going to talk about who is 2nd best on grass RIGHT NOW - that is impossible. The grass season is too short and we have to take into account about 3 years of it. Ancic was still around then. He had a stunning win over Federer in 2002 but didn't follow it up. 2003 was an early exit. 2004 was a strong performance. An improvement, but the ONLY good result.

In those 3 years...

Hewitt has won Wimbledon.
Federer has won it twice, along with Halle.
Roddick has been Queen's champion twice, and Wimbledon finalist and semi-finalist once each.
Grosjean has been runner-up of Queen's twice and SF twice.
Henman has been runner-up of Queen's once and QF of Wimbledon twice, along with a SF.

Those 5 players are better than Ancic - no dispute. Furthermore, you say that Ancic is better than Henman because he beat him last year...but surely he is better than Federer because he beat him in '02? No - Federer could bounce back and did. Henman has done better and is likely to bounce back again.

A good grass player is able to achieve many good results. Ancic has neither been around long enough to justify #2 or done enough on the surface. Give him 3 years and see what he can do in that space of time. In my books he is a top 10 grass player.

Right now, it is not unreasonable to expect him to get to at least the SF of Queen's. Besides, surely the 4 finalists this week deserve to be #1-4 on the "grass rankings?"

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 03:00 PM
#2 player on grass my ass :lol:

pablo2k1
06-09-2005, 03:04 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

goran_the_2nd
06-09-2005, 03:05 PM
i was just waiting.. i knew you dont have a life :))

bad gambler
06-09-2005, 03:06 PM
:silly:

MariaV
06-09-2005, 03:08 PM
BG just loooves the :silly: smilie today. Appropriate to Ancic though.

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 03:08 PM
i was just waiting.. i knew you dont have a life :))

:nerner: Just waiting for the opportunity! :devil:

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 03:11 PM
The thread should now read...

"Will Ljubicic challenge for the title?" When hell freezes over yeah! :devil:

NATAS81
06-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Guess he's 3rd behind Gasquet now, lol

goran_the_2nd
06-09-2005, 03:45 PM
jez, it doesnt matters he lost to gasquet, we all know he'll kick hennman's ass when it will be nesesary :)

Fumus
06-09-2005, 03:51 PM
Roddick is the #2 guy on grass.

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 05:05 PM
jez, it doesnt matters he lost to gasquet, we all know he'll kick hennman's ass when it will be nesesary :)

:haha: The sad fact is he probably will! I actually think, seriously, that Murray would have a better chance against Ancic. He is a good returner of serve and he has played some awesome rallies today.

*Viva Chile*
06-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Is Mario the second best player on grass?? Definitely not... he's not Goran Ivanisevic

gooner88
06-09-2005, 08:25 PM
There is no 2nd best player on grass.

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 09:22 PM
There is no 2nd best player on grass.

Actually, that is the best point I have read in a few days...you are right. Many are vying for the position..none actually have the title though. :worship:

goran_the_2nd
06-09-2005, 10:03 PM
jez you forgot that murray was last week beaten by cilic - another croat, 16 years old, 6-5 tall, with big serve ;)

Horatio Caine
06-09-2005, 10:04 PM
jez you forgot that murray was last week beaten by cilic - another croat, 16 years old, 6-5 tall, with big serve ;)

Nope...I didn't. I had a conversation about that with Croat123, and moaned about our demise to Croats ;)

goran_the_2nd
06-09-2005, 10:20 PM
hm.. what made you think murray is any diferent, that he could beat ancic :) ?

GoranIvanisevic546346
06-09-2005, 10:37 PM
This Murray guy is actually first Brit that i like...I think his chance`s to win Wimbledon are higher then Henman`s,

DanEd
06-09-2005, 10:48 PM
No way

bad gambler
06-09-2005, 11:52 PM
Roddick v Hewitt Queens final will settle this debate :p

PamV
06-10-2005, 12:17 AM
Hewitt and Roddick would be contenders for 2nd best on grass. Apparenlty Gasquet is very good on grass also!

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:05 AM
This Murray guy is actually first Brit that i like...I think his chance`s to win Wimbledon are higher then Henman`s,

In some ways i agree with you. His play from the back of the court was ismply sensational...every time there was a rally i got the feeling he would win it...the complete opposite where Henman is concerned! Now i can see how he took sets (and even matches) off Coria, Moya etc in practice. However, his first serve percentage today was poor and his fitness would obviously be questionable over 5 sets. But yeah, he is a more complete player in some respects.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:05 AM
I will be truly shocked if, injury free, he is not in the top 100 by the end of next year.

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 01:14 AM
If all you pro-Mario supporters think he is 2nd best...watch him get to the final then...or lose to Federer before. I DO NOT expect to see him in the final or anywhere past the QF in fact, this year.

He sure is living up to the hype so far :rolleyes:

All you Croats say Ivo is crap, but he has: -

(a) gone further than Ancic at Queen's
(b) taken out better players.

:haha:

goran_the_2nd
06-10-2005, 05:35 PM
Hewitt and Roddick would be contenders for 2nd best on grass. Apparenlty Gasquet is very good on grass also!

so, now karlovic and roddick are contenders for that, right? :rolleyes:

Horatio Caine
06-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Well Karlovic is always a contender...as i have said, I always look for him first when the Wimbledon draw comes out. He could win Wimbledon or any title on a fast surface...whether he will is another matter. I think he has a decent shot at Queen's believe it or not.

Roddick is the #2 player on grass right now though...Federer is streets ahead and Roddick is continuing to win on the surface. Grosjean is 3rd by the way the results have gone.

silverwhite
06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
Guess he's 3rd behind Gasquet now, lol

Now he's 4th. Radek's 2nd now. :worship:

sanpo
06-11-2005, 03:03 AM
Mario is not. I seriously hope some people here get more realistic... :)

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 01:10 AM
:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

El Legenda
10-07-2005, 01:12 AM

WHAT NOW JEZ! :lol: ;)

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Just for you RDucky or whatever your new name is! P79 by the way ;)

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 01:13 AM
I still have 1 more present left to haunt you...if I find it!

Might try finding it tomorrow...it is worth the wait! :devil:

El Legenda
10-07-2005, 01:15 AM
I still have 1 more present left to haunt you...if I find it!

Might try finding it tomorrow...it is worth the wait! :devil:

haunt me? look what i said about this Topic, you even gave me a GOOD REP and :yeah: for it back then

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 01:17 AM
haunt me? look what i said about this Topic, you even gave me a GOOD REP and :yeah: for it back then

That is true...you were right. But it was still a fun topic...a lot of brainless people out there! :lol:

Can't wait for the new topic next year - "Is Mario 3rd best player on grass behind Federer and Feli Lopez?" :haha: :haha:

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 01:19 AM

...well it was after exams...I probably left my brain with my last exam paper ;)

Jimnik
10-07-2005, 01:19 AM
discuss!
No. I think the grass court ranking is:

1 FedEx
2 ARod
3 Hewitt
4 Grosjean
5 Ancic

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 01:20 AM
Oh gawd...here we go again! I'm going to get going on this in the morning... :haha:

AsianSensation
10-07-2005, 02:24 AM
My top 5 on grass:

Federer
Roddick
Hewitt
Henman
Grosjean

NYCtennisfan
10-07-2005, 04:23 AM
This thread title was comical back when it was started and seems even more comical now. Ancic better start getting it together or all that talent may be wasted.

safdem
10-07-2005, 04:35 AM
ermm..hes good but 2nd best? dont think so

megadeth
10-07-2005, 05:31 AM
this thread is a joke right? from the current active players, the 2nd best would be roddick (based on results)

Phunkadelicious
10-07-2005, 05:32 AM
this thread is a joke right? from the current active players, the 2nd best would be roddick (based on results)

Horatio Caine
10-07-2005, 12:03 PM
No. I think the grass court ranking is:

1 FedEx
2 ARod
3 Hewitt
4 Grosjean
5 Ancic

Substitute Ancic for Henman and I think we have got there! Maybe Henman 4th over Grosjean...I know Henman has had a very poor grass court season this year, but overall he is still top 5 for another year I feel. ;)

hitchhiker
10-07-2005, 12:04 PM
mario brothers 3 rocked

Loremaster
10-07-2005, 12:40 PM
My top 5

1.Federer
2.Roddick
3.Ancic
4.Hewitt
5.Henman

Federer and Roddick are for sure no.1&2 on grass, maybe Hewitt is better tahn Ancic but not in my opinion Hewitt doesn't have game for grass he is not attacking doesn't have decent serve that's why I picked Ancic higher than Hewitt

gooner88
10-07-2005, 03:07 PM
Ancic isn't even Top 5 player on grass for me......

Loremaster
10-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Come on his performance in 2004 was great he nearly kicked off Roddick from Queens and Wimbledon before final only ancic has won a set agaisnt Roddick during Wimbledon. And he is still very young but unfortunatly his biggest weakness is mentality

TennisMan85
10-07-2005, 07:29 PM
yes, his biggest weakness is mentality. His loss against Mardy Fish is one example

deliveryman
10-07-2005, 08:43 PM
1. Mr. Federerererererererererer
2. Mr. Roddick
3. Mr. Hewitt
4. Mr. Grosjean
5. Mr. Ancic

Horatio Caine
10-09-2005, 04:31 PM
Come on his performance in 2004 was great he nearly kicked off Roddick from Queens and Wimbledon before final only ancic has won a set agaisnt Roddick during Wimbledon. And he is still very young but unfortunatly his biggest weakness is mentality

Hole in one! :lol: ;)

its.like.that
10-12-2005, 06:48 AM
in response to the title:

oh for sure.

adee-gee
11-06-2005, 07:45 PM
Ian Flanagan is the 2nd best player on grass :rocker2:

Horatio Caine
11-06-2005, 08:10 PM
You legend!!! :haha: :haha: :haha:

Still can't get enough....

If Ancic played a fish on the final he would still get slapped :lol:

adee-gee
11-06-2005, 08:21 PM
If Ancic played a fish on the final he would still get slapped :lol:
I didn't realise Mardy had a brother :eek:

RickDaStick
11-07-2005, 04:39 AM
Whatever happen to Ian Flanagan anyways? After beating Phillipousis and Henescu in straight sets last year at Queens, hes been playing futures ever since and losing a lot.

Horatio Caine
11-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Whatever happen to Ian Flanagan anyways? After beating Phillipousis and Henescu in straight sets last year at Queens, hes been playing futures ever since and losing a lot.

He struggles to get into satellites let alone futures mate ;)

He was a fluke...end of. We have Murray now :banana:

adee-gee
11-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Flanagan has been on a tear on the Futures circuit. He's 2-13 this season :lol:

He even lost to my old coach Neil Bamford :rolls:

adee-gee
11-07-2005, 07:44 PM
Surely if Guillermo Garcia Lopez gets his own player forum, Ian Flanagan deserves one. I'm gonna start a campaign, and its going to inspire Ian to end Federer's dominance at Wimbledon next year. He'll even beat Mario in the Semi's to put his brilliance in no doubt :rocker2: