How Strict is Anti-Doping in the ATP [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How Strict is Anti-Doping in the ATP

iliketennis
06-05-2005, 11:21 AM
I was just wondering how typical the tests are. Is there any routine, or is it just random testing? I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but I would be testing Nadal straight away. It just shocks me that he got so huge in less than 6 months (He has always been muscular, but just check out some photos from 04. You'll see what I mean). It is probably just due to strict workout and diets, so I am not by any means accusing him of taking drugs of any sort.

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 11:26 AM
You have never seen Nadal's family then have you? They are massive in size.

Tennis testing could be better and it helps to come from certain countries. I remember when Rios said if Agassi failed a doping test, it would be covered up and the ATP would do their best to protect him.

The lower ranked the player is, the more likely they will get caught. There is a list somewhere on the ATP site of which players got tested within the year.

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 11:34 AM
It can't be very strict, otherwise Muster would have been caught :p

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 11:35 AM
lol, I knew this was about to come

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 11:36 AM
It can't be very strict, otherwise Muster would have been caught :p

Are you friends with Pat Cash are we?

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Are you friends with Pat Cash are we?

Pat and me...?
We're just having a beer (or rather a sniff when it comes to Pat :tape: )together at the moment :angel:

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Pat and me...?
We're just having a beer (or rather a sniff when it comes to Pat :tape: )together at the moment :angel:

Yes, good to know.

The Closet Man reckoned Muster was on the juice as well, too bad he passed a drug test after he beat him in Monte Carlo.

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 11:42 AM

Rafa has to be on the drugs he trained with Muster ( an alleged drug cheat) and Wilander ( a cokehead).

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 11:46 AM
Rafa has to be on the drugs he trained with Muster ( an alleged drug cheat) and Wilander ( a cokehead).

Yes, that was one of the excuses I had expected not used yet. Anyway that one of the darkness takes the top spot for my taste.

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes, that was one of the excuses I had expected not used yet. Anyway that one of the darkness takes the top spot for my taste.

We knew it was coming and not disappointed in that regard.

iliketennis
06-05-2005, 11:54 AM

Geez :rolleyes: People get so defensive when others say anything remotely against their favourite players.

I never said Nadal was on drugs, I just said that it shouldn't be ruled out. Any player could be on drugs :devil:

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 11:56 AM
Geez :rolleyes: People get so defensive when others say anything remotely against their favourite players.

I never said Nadal was on drugs, I just said that it shouldn't be ruled out. Any player could be on drugs :devil:

You might as well have said Nadal was on the juice. He is actually not that big and they are all gay and doped up.

Deivid23
06-05-2005, 11:56 AM

I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but I would be testing Nadal straight away. It just shocks me that he got so huge in less than 6 months (He has always been muscular, but just check out some photos from 04. You'll see what I mean).

connectolove
06-05-2005, 12:55 PM
They have already tested him in Barcelona and Rome, you are not the first one in thinking so. But it so happens that the Nadal's males are very muscular and strong by nature and Rafa was the strongest kid in school when growing up. Rafa has said many times to the press that his physique is due to rigorous workouts and genetics. I think that they know most people think he has shoot some hormones, but I highly doubt it.

Ace Tracker
06-05-2005, 03:40 PM
as a rule of thumb, the lesser ranked and famous you are , the stricter you should be expected to be tested... Rezvan Sabeau had once the surprise of his life when the ATP showed up at his doorstep at 6:00AM on a Sunday morning for a random test, while recovering from surgery in Romania... also, being cleared on a drug test or even being caught do not mean you're actually clean or that the positive results will be made public, as the BALCO scandal and the official cover-up of the Carl Lewis' and other athletics stars from the 80's and 90's failures have recently demonstrated...

Shy
06-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Doping test in any sport is not as strict as it should be.

musefanatic
06-05-2005, 04:00 PM
Doping test in any sport is not as strict as it should be.

I agree but the thing is, most of them who are accused of doping (Puerta and Rusedski) are then cleared but then their ranking suffers which is a shame. They also serve the ban.

It must be hard though, having to watch everything that is put inside your body.

Jenrios
06-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Gonzalez said he got tested about 12 times last year. You get mixed responses from the players when asked - like Escude.

liS@
06-05-2005, 08:52 PM
"In 2003, World No. 1 Roger Federer topped the tennis anti-doping program with French Open champion Juan Carlos Ferrero, both submitting to 23 tests, including out-of-competition scans. US Open champion Andy Roddick, Australian Open winner Andre Agassi and former world No. 1 Carlos Moya all completed 21 tests."
(theAdvertiser.au)