Still Joyful in Defeat [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Still Joyful in Defeat

undomiele
06-05-2005, 05:34 AM
A friend of mine emailed me this article from her local paper today. What a wonderful article. Its the dreams of the players that make the place so magical to so many.

-------------------------------------
Loser still joyful in defeat
May 24, 2005

PARIS - Even in defeat -- and this four-hour saga was particularly unpalatable -- Hugo Armando was overjoyed.

He dropped into a metal chair just outside the players lounge when it was over, showing no signs of fatigue after playing the first five-setter of his nine-year career, and unleashed the biggest grin in his happiness repertoire.

"It was a tough way to lose," he said after rallying from two sets down, "but I can't tell you how happy I am to be here."

Born in Miami 27 years ago of Argentine parents, Armando has been trying since 1997 to get into the main draw of the French Open, the one tournament he has dreamed of playing since he was a boy.

It didn't matter that he got in this year as the fifth lucky loser out of qualifying. It didn't matter that he and Fernando Vicente, the big, bruising Spaniard, were sent way out on Court 14, which is Siberia at Roland Garros.

The important thing was he was on the red clay in a main-draw match in Paris instead of watching on television, as he has so many times.

What a 24 hours he had here as he waited out the final day before the start of the tournament.

He had lost in the third and final round of the qualifying event, but because of his ranking (No. 152) he could still get into the French if five main-draw players pulled out.

One by one they dropped. Taylor Dent and Lleyton Hewitt. Joachim Johansson. Then, on Sunday, the Italian Potito Starace tore ligaments in his ankle while practicing, leaving Armando one away.

"Around noon, someone told me Sjeng Schalken was hurt, but officials told me, no, he hadn't pulled out," Armando said. A bit dejected, he went back to his hotel and fell asleep.

At 7:30 p.m., Andre Silva, one of the ATP Tour player relations officials, called and gave him the good news. Schalken was out and he was the fifth lucky loser.

"I couldn't believe it. I called my parents in Bradenton, my wife, my sister in Weston. Everybody."

Everything was happening quickly now. He needed sleep. He needed to get his head squared away. And he needed to be ready at 11 a.m. Monday for the first match on Court 14.

"I didn't have any nervousness," he said.

Maybe he didn't have time to get nervous. Nor was there time to sit around wondering how to play Vicente. It didn't really matter whom he was playing anyway. Anyone was going to be tough for him.

Vicente won the opening sets 7-6 (3), 6-4 and, while Armando had competed hard, he didn't have the Spaniard's weapons. At set point in the second, Armando hit a strong approach shot and swarmed to the net. Vicente sliced a ball so delicately it looked as if it were in slow motion as it dipped and curled away from Hugo's racket.

"At that point, I thought, `Just play hard -- anything can happen.'"

He won the next two sets 6-2, 6-4 but was broken early in the fifth and never equaled.

For some players, Wimbledon is the paradigm event. For Americans, it's usually the U.S. Open. But for Armando, who is American, it's the French. It's his Argentine roots and the friendships he made when he went back to Buenos Aires to play juniors. The red clay is in his fabric.

Four times he had tried and failed to qualify here and once, in 2001, he reached a career-best ranking of 100, which put him straight into the main draw. But he injured his wrist and couldn't compete.

Four years later he has realized his dream. Or at least part of it. A win would have been a happier ending. He'll turn 27 in three days, and that's getting near the end of the peak years for most tennis players.

But after what he has been able to do here this year, his appetite is re-whetted. He wants to be back in the French in 2006. And he wants to get past the first round.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-05-2005, 05:45 AM
There's something wrong about this part: At 7:30 p.m., Andre Silva, one of the ATP Tour player relations officials, called and gave him the good news. Schalken was out and he was the fifth lucky loser.

"I couldn't believe it. I called my parents in Bradenton, my wife, my sister in Weston. Everybody."

it's kinda wrong, yet interesting when one man's injury is another man's celebration--that Schalken's disappointment is 'great news" for Armando. But I understand, I understand

robinhood
06-05-2005, 05:49 AM
What a nice story.
I am amazed that this reporter even thought of doing a story on Armando.
Good for both of them.
And best of luck Armando next year!

bad gambler
06-05-2005, 11:47 AM
thanks for the article

hope he has some success down the track

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the article. :yeah: Kind of puts things ino perspective...when one player who has earned his place in the draw based on 12 months results is injured and thinking of withdrawing, another is chomping at the bit to take his place. In a non-sick way I would like to see more injured players withdrawing - it is good for 2 reasons.

1 - They don't make the injury worse
2 - Sometimes their place goes to a worthy player like Armando.

CooCooCachoo
06-05-2005, 12:06 PM
That's a great article, thanks :D

I am really happy for Hugo :D I think he's an awesome player on clay (saw him some years ago in Scheveningen) and I believe he can go further.

:rocker2: