If final were 2004 Coria versus 2005 Nadal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If final were 2004 Coria versus 2005 Nadal

Devotee
06-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Who do you think would win on Sunday if 2004 Coria played 2005 Nadal?
Ignore the Coria we saw against Gaudio at RG.

Please answer the poll.

Dr. Laborious
06-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Coria.

Deivid23
06-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Depending on how many lucky bounces and net cords Rafa would have on his favour

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 12:42 PM
hahaha!

the cat
06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Nadal. Too big too strong and too young for Coria. ;)

Nastase
06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Nadal of course.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Nadal - he is a better player than Coria in my opinion, and certainly has a better temperament for the big occasion.

VingaRafel
06-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Pooooooliccccce....... NADAL !!!

Dr. Laborious
06-04-2005, 04:33 PM
15-4?

:bs:

sigmagirl91
06-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Nadal, hands down.

undomiele
06-04-2005, 04:49 PM
I don't think Coria was in his best shape for clay this year compared to 2004, and he still managed to challenge an in-peak Nadal to the 5-set tennis match of the year, they fought as equals for every point, but only because it was 2005 Coria playing. On this basis, one may argue that the 2004 Coria would have beaten Nadal. ;)

Exodus
06-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Coria isn't a threat anymore to the big guns he can just forget about winning RG

dylan24
06-04-2005, 05:00 PM
coria is a fucking choker.
he blew his chance to win RG last year.
i don't see him ever winning RG

Exodus
06-04-2005, 05:03 PM
Even Federer might not win RG after he lost this year

willie
06-04-2005, 05:20 PM
If coria was very near of winning nadal this year in rome without playing his best tennis, i think than in his level of 2004 clay season he would probably have won nadal.

Fedex
06-04-2005, 05:40 PM
Nadal. Coria does not play well on the big occasion; Nadal has(so far).

NATAS81
06-04-2005, 06:04 PM
No question, Nadal.

The 05 Coria wouldn't even come close either.

Deivid23
06-04-2005, 06:31 PM
If coria was very near of winning nadal this year in rome without playing his best tennis, i think than in his level of 2004 clay season he would probably have won nadal.

Coria played great that day, it was his best match of the year and he was there at the level of 2004

NATAS81
06-04-2005, 06:48 PM
04 Coria beats 04 Nadal.

Exodus
06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
04 Coria beats 04 Nadal.

maybe but now Nadal would easily destroy a player like Coria :devil:

NATAS81
06-04-2005, 06:54 PM
He would destroy them all and will for years to come on clay.

A player winning at this age comes along once a generation.

Rogiman
06-04-2005, 07:01 PM
A player winning at this age comes along once a generation.

I still can't find the logics in what you say.

Becker in his first Wimbledon victory was much younger than Sampras in his, still ended up winning 3 titles to the latter's 7.
What difference does the age make and how could you guarantee another Nadal isn't playing the juniors right now and will dethrone Rafa?

alfonsojose
06-04-2005, 07:14 PM
Better bring Guga 2000-2001 against "Pocahontas"

undomiele
06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
THIS HAS TO BE SAID. (Pardon the length)

Nadal is a category 1 claycourter. Same as Ferrero, Coria and a once-upon-a-time Moya and Guga. (Though Guga at his peak, I believe, was better than any of the peaks of this group displayed thus far.) Moya now, I think can be said, is more than certainly past his peak - both physically and mentally. Guga will never come back, although he may display matches of brilliance here and there. (Come back Guga! :sad: )

All these men, who are still active on the tour, have shown complete and utter domination on clay at one point but only Coria, Nadal, and Ferrero are still young enough to win other FO's. This year, however, only Nadal was the one in-form enough to break through and exert his "category-oneness". Last year, only Coria was the one fit enough. The year before it was Ferrero. For this year's clay season and FO, both Ferrero and Coria have struggled regaining form. Ferrero more than Coria of course. But who's to say that won't change again next year? Or that a new category-oner will break through, eg: Gasquet, Ferrer or even Mariano Puerta ;) ?

It all really comes back to the real issue at hand here: the prominent role injuries are having in taking out some supremely talented players. Don't get me wrong, winning tournaments is still primarily about talent and skill, and a love for the surface, but the reality is endurance and fitness factors have become a LOT more prominent in recent years. And you don't even need to talk about active injuries to believe something in terms of high-calibre competition is often missing in tournaments these days. The "residual injury effect", I believe, is completely to blame for this.

Coria is an extremely naturally talented player who, in 2005, took on a bad shoulder injury that badly affected his game during the first 3 months of the year. And he has said that although his shoulder completely healed after 7/8 weeks, a lot of training time was irretreviably lost. This forced him to face the same dilemma all injured top guys like Guga, Ferrero, Safin, Nalbandian, Canas, etc, have had to make. ALL these men were/are the type to demolish a lot opponents with their eyes closed and convincingly made the top ten. Some survived their injuries, other haven't or still have to.

Think of it from their point of view. When theyve been injured, they will think: "Do I rest the injury completely? Or play through it in order to save the points, keep the edge and continue to beat players that I know and have continually beaten easily when I was in-shape???" This is a hard decision for a player who knows, for real, that he can be the best, and that he may be losing a major opportunity for respect, i.e: he'll be losing major points, his ranking, other talented players may break out later, he's not getting any younger, rivals will be gaining more confidence and experience, etc etc.

Coria openly admitted in the RG post-Davydenko match interview that "he knew" he wouldnt win the French Open, that although he felt fine and fit, he knew that the two-month training time he lost forced him to play a whole category lower than the level he displayed at the 2004 FO. He's no dummy. He's a realist. The uninjured will always have an advantage over the previously injured in that sense.

Both Safin and Canas decided not to risk it and take a year off. And it worked for them thankfully. It hasnt for Ferrero thus far. Others like Coria, and Nalbandian opted to play through their injuries off-and-on and theyve had mixed results. Whatever way you look at it, its incredibly hard for a top player to cut a whole year off his career when he feels he is on the verge of making it. Thats the hard truth these players have to face. And it incredibly damages the quality of the tour as well.

Residual injuries are completely to blame for today's Ferrero, Nalbandian, Coria, Guga, and Moya --all these guys, in-form, undoubtedly would have provided a much more interesting FO than what we are currently watching and it really is a damn, damn shame. :mad: THAT's what really makes me mad.

And I completely blame the infamous tournament scheduling. We're currently sacrificing quality of tournaments for quantity. And I don't like it. Real fans shouldn't either. IMAGINE what a dream RG we would be having if Coria and Ferrero had been in form for it... :hearts: sigh.

Now as a Coria fan I still have lots of hope. He *did*, I repeat, take an in-peak Nadal to an insanely contested 5 sets in the longest match of the year some weeks ago, which frankly, is half a 1000 times more than what Roger Federer ever did against Nadal on clay. ;) :p

I believe he still has the smarts, the experience, and the sheer claycourt talent to beat Rafa in the future and I have no doubt he will. If he regains his form, that is. (Small caveat!)

Coria and Ferrero are proven category 1 players. If they regain their former forms, which I think every tennis fan should hope for, they will give Nadal the clay matches of his life. And if you really watched how they played during their peak clay seasons, you should know an in-peak Coria or Ferrero can readily take on a Nadal.

Unless, of course, Guga comes back. :scared: Then its all over for the category 1 claycourters. Guga, on clay, is category GOD. :lol: ;)

But we'll most likely never see it so long as greedy organizers work these players to death. The money-grubbing bastards.

Damita
06-04-2005, 08:49 PM
undomiele :worship: i agree on almost everything you said :)

I'd still pick Nadal 2005 over Coria 2004 because he impressed me more during the clay season than Guille did last year (tho Coria did impress me much last year! ;))

On the rest :yeah: :worship:

undomiele
06-04-2005, 10:38 PM
undomiele :worship: i agree on almost everything you said :)

I'd still pick Nadal 2005 over Coria 2004 because he impressed me more during the clay season than Guille did last year (tho Coria did impress me much last year! ;))

On the rest :yeah: :worship:

Thanks!

renatoal
06-04-2005, 10:41 PM
I voted for Nadal ! And Guga in 2000 or 2001 ?? Shoul beat that Nadal ???

deliveryman
06-05-2005, 02:39 AM
Coria '04 vs Nadal '05 could beat eachother on any given day.

Guga '00-01 vs Nadal '05 or Coria '04 would kick both their asses.