finally some green grass: a sight for my sore eyes, maybe for yours too!? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

finally some green grass: a sight for my sore eyes, maybe for yours too!?

Neely
06-04-2005, 12:30 PM
After so much red the last weeks, finally I get to the see right now the first grasscourt on TV since longer time (Australia vs Austria in Davis Cup was the last time). Unbelievable!! :inlove: :worship:

I'm happy now! :D :banana:

Even better if it is Stich dismantling Muster on a nice grasscourt.

Sjengster
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
Out of interest Neely, is this sort of thread going to become an annual tradition? You did exactly the same last year.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Great time of the year for holidays.

Sjengster
06-04-2005, 12:34 PM
Mind you, being shallow and all I can understand her point this year when the RG winner is probably someone I dislike rather than someone I like. And hey, at least with Gaudio there was no danger of his detractors having to put up with him during the grass season as well - Nadal, on the other hand...

Neely
06-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Out of interest Neely, is this sort of thread going to become an annual tradition? You did exactly the same last year.
It's just priceless to see some fine green lawn on TV and that tennis is played on this great surface, not only golf.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Yes, the whole Nadal on grass campaign will begin in earnest.

Sjengster
06-04-2005, 12:39 PM
It's just priceless to see some fine green lawn on TV and that tennis is played on this great surface, not only golf.

There are a couple of other sports played on this surface, one of them's quite popular around the world I hear.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 12:40 PM
There are a couple of other sports played on this surface, one of them's quite popular around the world I hear.

Lawn bowls isn't it?

Gonzo Hates Me!
Neely, grass is my favorite too! It's nostalgic of when I first started watching tennis. Grass season is just so *pleasant* It's just not the same without Pete :sad:

Sjengster
Bowls is the sport of the people.

Rogiman
06-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Mind you, being shallow and all I can understand her point this year when the RG winner is probably someone I dislike rather than someone I like. And hey, at least with Gaudio there was no danger of his detractors having to put up with him during the grass season as well - Nadal, on the other hand...

Relax, Nadal won't have any impact on 2005 grass season.

bad gambler
06-04-2005, 12:59 PM
bring it on :rocker:

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Bowls is the sport of the people.

I thought it was croquet.

Anyway as long as the matches are as good as the Ferrero/Koubek classic then it's all good.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 01:26 PM
I thought it was croquet.

Anyway as long as the matches are as good as the Ferrero/Koubek classic then it's all good.

My own favourite grass court match was Calleri v Saretta in the 2nd round at Wimby in 2003. Score was 4-6, 7-6 (13-11), 2-6 7-6(7-5), 8-10. Perfect clay court tennis on the ghastly green stuff! Still luckily (for me) the grass season is short enough not to cause too many problems.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 01:29 PM
My own favourite grass court match was Calleri v Saretta in the 2nd round at Wimby in 2003. Score was 4-6, 7-6 (13-11), 2-6 7-6(7-5), 8-10. Perfect clay court tennis on the ghastly green stuff! Still luckily (for me) the grass season is short enough not to cause too many problems.

Hahaha and that was in the second round, that would have been great to see.

2002 Wimbledon was great Andre Sa in the 4th round.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Hahaha and that was in the second round, that would have been great to see.

2002 Wimbledon was great Andre Sa in the 4th round.

Not forgetting David in the final of course!!! And yes - Calleri/Saretta was great to see - one of my rare enjoyable trips to the lawns of SW19.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Not forgetting David in the final of course!!!

That too, even Hewitt winning it didn't upset me as that was one of the great Wimbledons.

Neely
06-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Stich defends his title, defeats Muster 5-7 6-2 7-6(8)
I liked Stich winning it very much, but props to Muster, he played very well. Entertaining match by both guys.

And the greenkeeper has lots of work to do when Muster slided too often on the grass.

Can't wait until the real grass tournaments are going to start! :woohoo: :banana:

gooner88
06-04-2005, 01:51 PM
Ah, the grass court season is upon us once again.
A whole month of Sue Barker confessing her love for Tiger Tim Henman. :devil:

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Ah, the grass court season is upon us once again.
A whole month of Sue Barker confessing her love for Tiger Tim Henman. :devil:

Not forgetting Henman Hill, "Henmania", clueless idiots with Union Jacks painted on their faces who don't now the first thing about tennis..............I hate the grass season :devil:

basil333
06-04-2005, 02:01 PM
endless queuing up with freaks that think Wimbledon is the creme de la creme of tennis and do not even know that there is a full year long tour that the guys and girls play on and get so surprised when I tell them that Wimbledon is NOT (shock horror) my favourite tournament...

Oh the endless snobbery, oh the countless idiots that are just "there" to be seen.... that would not know the answers to basic tennis questions if you drip-fed them with champagne and liquidised strawberries....

endless crushing and josling in the crowds... stupid court planners putting match-ups like Mariano Zabaleta v Mark Phillippousis on Court 5 - not realising that the half of Australia slept on the streets the night before to get an inch of space round this court that seats 60 people (2003 refers).

OH I love Wimbledon.... - roll on Bastad, Gstaad and Stuttgart!!! - back to the real tennis tour.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 02:05 PM
endless queuing up with freaks that think Wimbledon is the creme de la creme of tennis and do not even know that there is a full year long tour that the guys and girls play on and get so surprised when I tell them that Wimbledon is NOT (shock horror) my favourite tournament...

We can't have that now.

endless crushing and josling in the crowds... stupid court planners putting match-ups like Mariano Zabaleta v Mark Phillippousis on Court 5 - not realising that the half of Australia slept on the streets the night before to get an inch of space round this court that seats 60 people (2003 refers).

Earls Court must have shut down for the day then.

OH I love Wimbledon.... - roll on Stuttgart!!! - back to the real tennis tour.

That starts in Båstad and Gstaad.

basil333
06-04-2005, 02:08 PM
i was editing when you were posting ;) ;) :worship:

star
06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
I love the clay season, but the green grass is very refreshing after seeing red clay for weeks.

gooner88
06-04-2005, 02:13 PM
At least that stupid bowing to the royal box has stopped. Man I hated seeing the players bowing to absolute unknowns. That was snobbery at it's worst!!!!
I do like watching Wimby, but it does depend on the matchup. For example a Scud-Ivanisevic match would be a complete turn-off for me.

silverwhite
06-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Both camps deserve each other. :o What's wrong with enjoying both claycourt and grasscourt tennis?

basil333
06-04-2005, 02:51 PM
the "tennis" is great - the organisation at SW19 sucks

Scotso
06-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I like watching Wimbledon because it's a grand slam and all, but I still don't get why they play tennis on grass.

oneandonlyhsn
06-04-2005, 03:00 PM
Bring on grass, the grass season is way too short IMO

tangerine_dream
06-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Great thread, Neely. As usualy the clay snobs are having fits already. LOL. :lol:

Bring on the good stuff! Wimbledon here we come :banana: :rocker2: :dance:

Neely
06-04-2005, 03:08 PM
Great thread, Neely. As usualy the clay snobs are having fits already. LOL. :lol:

Bring on the good stuff! Wimbledon here we come :banana: :rocker2: :dance:
Completely correct, I would like to play about 8 or 9 weeks on grass only, grass Masters and many more tournaments included for both WTA and ATP.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 03:09 PM
Duckies love it as it's a chance for him to win 2 successive matches away from clay and the only time of year when he can do it in Europe.

Scotso
06-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Duckies love it as it's a chance for him to win 2 successive matches away from clay and the only time of year when he can do it in Europe.

I think that's precisely what we're witnessing here.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 03:14 PM
I think that's precisely what we're witnessing here.

Well, it's just a fact and as for the most intelligent poster calling people who dislike Wimbledon clay snobs, well there is no answer for that.

Wimbledon 2002 was great, the Rafter/Ivanisevic final was top stuff, it's part of the tennis calendar, but as you know not everyone has to share that same belief as the OP.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 03:20 PM
Well, it's just a fact and as for the most intelligent poster calling people who dislike Wimbledon clay snobs, well there is no answer for that.

Wimbledon 2002 was great, the Rafter/Ivanisevic final was top stuff, it's part of the tennis calendar, but as you know not everyone has to share that same belief as the OP.

I agree GWH - as usual. Rafter/Ivanisevic was one of the greatest matches I have ever watched live - not my style of tennis normally but the atmosphere was electric. And must say I wonder whether the poster you mention has ever actually been to Wimbledon to experience what basil333 and some other people here have been talking about first hand ;)

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Were you at every day of that match Rosie?

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 03:24 PM

Damn right!

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Were you at every day of that match Rosie?

Rafter/Ivanisevic was only on for one day Mrs.Guga - the extra 3rd Monday put in because of the rain delays. I was at every one of Goran's matches in 2001 though - it's the last year I spent a considerable amount of time at Wimby. I had some Croatian friends staying with me at the time (I used to live there for a while) and they were supporting Goran so I took them to all his matches.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 03:28 PM
Damn right!

Can't argue with the facts. :)

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Rafter/Ivanisevic was only on for one day Mrs.Guga - the extra 3rd Monday put in because of the rain delays. I was at every one of Goran's matches in 2001 though - it's the last year I spent a considerable amount of time at Wimby. I had some Croatian friends staying with me at the time (I used to live there for a while) and they were supporting Goran so I took them to all his matches.

You seem to have a jet set life Rosie that you can just go to a tennis match final on a Monday... lol... you and another poster, I am so jealous of; I wish I had money :sad:

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 03:36 PM
You seem to have a jet set life Rosie that you can just go to a tennis match final on a Monday... lol... you and another poster, I am so jealous of; I wish I had money :sad:

I just rang up my Boss at home on Sunday night and said something like - "I have an opportunity to go to the Wimbledon Final tomorrow so I won't be in the office" and that was it :) Wish I did live this "jet-set" lifestyle that you speak of, then I wouldn't have to work at all, - though I admit I can work from home a lot and my hours are pretty flexible which is great! Wimby is only about 10 minutes from me so it does make it a lot easier too.

Raquel
06-04-2005, 03:48 PM
I am really looking forward to the grass tournaments. Lleyton is coming back at Queens and Roger's favourite event is Wimbledon and he loves playing there. I am looking forward to seeing Nadal at Wimbledon too. I think he can do well there if he gets a good draw and I am sure he will be a favourite of the media and fans here.

basil333
06-04-2005, 03:49 PM
:confused: Am I a Clay Snob??? - wow! -

just for the record.... I am a Tennis Fan

definition of a Tennis Fan.... someone who loves to watch Tennis. Period - regardless of surface I love to watch Tennis. and I also LOVE to watch LIVE Tennis - which is WHY I hate Wimbledon so much with a passion! - because the organisation is so false! - SOME points that you have to be aware of if you want to go to Wimbledon

1. IF you are not lucky enough to get a gold-dust ticket (cost +/- £50) - then you have to get into the queue by about 7am in the morning - rain or shine - JUST to get a GROUND Pass

2. IF you REALLY want to fight for a Show Court - you have to be in the queue by 10pm the night before. armed with your tent.

3. I have done the queue thing for many years - so I am typing fact here.

One day at Wimbdon costs...

either a train/tube fare (example £20) to get there OR if you drive - £20 to park your car - may even be £25 now...

THEN when you finally do reach the queue - you have to spend many hours being hearded like animals in all weathers waiting to get in. When you finally get in - you find they do not take credit cards - so you have to have cash. Tickets are £15-75 each - so ... that's a lot of cash in the queue!

WHEN you finally get in... you cannot move - as there are queues everywhere. AND you get the Upper Class Toffs that do not understand the game at all - just "being there" because its "Wimbledon".

Player contact - impossible - they shut off the practice courts - due to crowd control.

I can go on...

------

Any other normal tournament in europe.

Cheap transport by either train or tube.
Cheap tickets
Time to get into grounds from arrival to town holding tennis tournament - approx 30 seconds to 1 hour (depending on time of arrival).

Player contact - usually quite good.

Solution...

Tennis in Europe - even at Roland Garros - is much better quality than Wimbledon.

I am not a clay snob - I am a tennis fan - that wishes Wimbledon was as easy as every single OTHER tennis tournament on the tour.

Raquel
06-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Oh the endless snobbery, oh the countless idiots that are just "there" to be seen.... that would not know the answers to basic tennis questions if you drip-fed them with champagne and liquidised strawberries....

I've always found that those people are only on Centre Court. If you go out to Courts 2 onwards especially it's mainly real tennis fans.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 03:54 PM
All the real fans are on Henman Hill.

basil333
06-04-2005, 03:56 PM
I've always found that those people are only on Centre Court. If you go out to Courts 2 onwards especially it's mainly real tennis fans.

They seem to follow me about where ever I go.... ;)

Neely
06-04-2005, 03:57 PM
Basil, tennis on grass is not only the "insitutional thing" Wimbledon and its organization and things around the tournament that may be upsetting. There are people who simply love the tennis being played on this very specifid surface, irrespective whether Wimbledon or other tournaments suck because you have to pay for that, because you dislike the Henman fans, because the facilities suck, because the player accessibility is worse, because the tickets are more expesnive...

guida
06-04-2005, 03:58 PM

What's wrong with that? :cool:

Raquel
06-04-2005, 03:59 PM
They seem to follow me about where ever I go.... ;)
Just watch 5 courts on BBC Interactive and save yourself the bother since you hate it so much ;)

Neely
06-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Nothing, I'm sure Andy could care more about other things than not first winning a Slam or other tournaments in Europe. Even better if he can deliver well on home soil. Because the USA have many events, he has the opportunity to make use out of it and well, so far, I would say he did well ;)

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 04:02 PM

Absolutely nothing.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Nothing, I'm sure Andy could care more about other things than not first winning or other tournaments in Europe. Even better if he can deliver well on home soil. Because the USA have many events, he has the opportunity and well, so far, I would say he did well ;)

Great players win everywhere under all conditions.

guida
06-04-2005, 04:06 PM
Nothing, I'm sure Andy could care more about other things than not first winning a Slam or other tournaments in Europe. Even better if he can deliver well on home soil. Because the USA have many events, he has the opportunity to make use out of it and well, so far, I would say he did well ;)

:yeah:

Absolutely nothing.

;)

Rogiman
06-04-2005, 04:07 PM

Word

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
I wish Andy would atleast win Sydney, Dohar, Auckland, or something...because he will never win abroad on clay :o ...it does kinda suck when you have to wait in periods or intervals to see your favorite do well. It is more rest-easy to be a fan of Federer... but Andy's struggles are no different than a clay-courter's struggles

Neely
06-04-2005, 04:17 PM
Sure, if somebody has two Slams, one in Europe and one in Australia, he is the better player than somebody who won one Slam. If somebody has 10 titles from tournaments all over the world I would say he can win everywhere and he seems to very versatile. But then again, I'm sure that Schalken would exchange all of his titles that came on four different surfaces spread over all five continents with the one Roddick got on his home soil in September 2003 ;)

Federerhingis
06-04-2005, 04:23 PM
Neely, grass is my favorite too! It's nostalgic of when I first started watching tennis. Grass season is just so *pleasant* It's just not the same without Pete :sad:

Yeah Pete on grass was something to watch ;) , you could almost sense a win for him at wimby from the moment he set foot on the green lawns of tennis. Those were some great memories, hearing Bud Collins revering "pistol Pete". Lets just hope Federer can continue his winning ways on grass, nevertheless, more challengers are on the verge this season, lets wait and see what Roddick(Fed biggest challenge @ big W), Ancic, Joachim and a healthy and hungry Hewitt have to say?

guida
06-04-2005, 04:28 PM
...it does kinda suck when you have to wait in periods or intervals to see your favorite do well. It is more rest-easy to be a fan of Federer...

That's true. And grass isn't even my favourite surface. Hardcourt all the way.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 04:29 PM
Sure, if somebody has two Slams, one in Europe and one in Australia, he is the better player than somebody who won one Slam. If somebody has 10 titles from tournaments all over the world I would say he can win everywhere and he seems to very versatile. But then again, I'm sure that Schalken would exchange all of his titles that came on four different surfaces spread over all five continents with the one Roddick got on his home soil in September 2003 ;)

Hahahahahaha

Yes, like it's about winning the Slams, TMC and major events. Since when has Schalken been one of the elite or great players? Shouldn't all the elite players be able to win everywhere and not just where it suits their style of play?

ys
06-04-2005, 04:43 PM
Grass! Grass! :banana:

Rogiman
06-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Grass! Grass! :banana:

:smoke:

Aphex
06-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Completely correct, I would like to play about 8 or 9 weeks on grass only, grass Masters and many more tournaments included for both WTA and ATP.
Yes, outlaw hardcourts and indoors. Play AusO on grass and USO on clay. End the season in October. All problems would be solved. :D

Chris Seahorse
06-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Yes, outlaw hardcourts and indoors. Play AusO on grass and USO on clay. End the season in October. All problems would be solved. :D

So all tournaments on clay and grass only? It's a bit radical but.........I LIKE IT. Maybe they could have a 3 or 4 week hardcourt season in the US in March just as a novelty.

Seriously both grass and clay are wonderful for completely different reasons and I love them both and I really really strongly believe at least one and maybe 2 weeks need to be added between RG and Wimby.

Jennay
06-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Clay snobs own. ;)

NYCtennisfan
06-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Bring on the beautiful grass.

NicoFan
06-05-2005, 02:17 AM

I'm all for outlawing hardcourts - but add grass to that too... ;)

Clay and only clay.

CLAY SNOBS RULE!!! :angel:

Ha! Just teasing....keep the grass for Wimbledon. Its a nice tournament.

So 4 weeks of grass, and the rest clay... ;)

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 02:46 AM
I've loved grass tennis and wimbledon since I was a little kid. There's just something about waking up for Breakfast at Wimbledon that I always loved. I don't know that I love the tennis all that much better - though I do love serve-volley tennis and miss it :( and I love the quick, explosive play - but I just have good memories of watching Wimby with my parents when I was little, so I look forward to it every year :)

undomiele
06-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Admit it grassfans, admit it hardcourt fans --the fact that clay lets a player verify the ball imprint is kinda cool. Admit it.

RonE
06-05-2005, 06:42 AM
Great time of the year for holidays.

My annual hiatus will end after Sunday- you punch out, I punch back in ;)

Nikki♥
06-05-2005, 06:44 AM
I´m allergic to grass.

Dux
06-05-2005, 10:23 AM
The start of grass season means the start of the two Slams that here are only televised via a very crappy satellite cable company, thus I loathe Grass Season :o

I miss PSN :sad:

Fedex
06-05-2005, 10:32 AM
The only thing that is particularly good about grass is that Federer totally dominates this surface.

flip_fan
06-05-2005, 10:36 AM
yes... finally... i will see mark on a tennis court...lol, praise the lord!!

Action Jackson
06-05-2005, 10:57 AM
My annual hiatus will end after Sunday- you punch out, I punch back in ;)

It works out very well.

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:34 PM
Ah, strawberries and cream, the wonders of BBC choice (for the first time this year! ( :banana: ), the sounds of middle-age housewives chanting Henman's name, the return of our favourite ( :rolleyes: ) commentators in John Lloyd and Andrew Castle, people talking up / down Henman's chances ( :rolleyes: )...British journeymen...the ATP calendar would be sadly lacking if it didn't include a British grasscourt season!!

bad gambler
06-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Ah, strawberries and cream, the wonders of BBC choice (for the first time this year! ( :banana: ), the sounds of middle-age housewives chanting Henman\'s name, the return of our favourite ( :rolleyes: ) commentators in John Lloyd and Andrew Castle, people talking up / down Henman\'s chances ( :rolleyes: )...British journeymen...the ATP calendar would be sadly lacking if it didn\'t include a British grasscourt season!!

grass season is the only thing good about old britannia :D

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:38 PM
grass season is the only thing good about old britannia :D

:bigcry: You can do better than that BG!! :lol:

Having said that you are right! Some of my closest friends have gone on a holiday round the world (to escape British summer I think!)...they can't be far from you right now so beware! Last sighting...Sydney Opera House. :scared:

bad gambler
06-05-2005, 12:39 PM
:bigcry: You can do better than that BG!! :lol:

dont make me talk about the upcoming ashes jez :p

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 12:41 PM
Some of my closest friends have gone on a holiday round the world (to escape British summer I think!)

What's wrong with the British summer? :confused:

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:42 PM
dont make me talk about the upcoming ashes jez :p

:sobbing: :sobbing:

Maybe we can continue our thrashing of Bangladesh with something a little more challenging... :devil:

Believe me it has to happen some time! I still hold out hope that Tim might one day beat Hewitt!! :lol:

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:43 PM
What's wrong with the British summer? :confused:

...other summers far better...I'm escaping soon too :p

bad gambler
06-05-2005, 12:44 PM
:sobbing: :sobbing:

Maybe we can continue our thrashing of Bangladesh with something a little more challenging... :devil:

Believe me it has to happen some time! I still hold out hope that Tim might one day beat Hewitt!! :lol:

I will slit myself if henamn beats hewitt at wimby and england win the ashes, i cant think of a worse sporting combo!! :scared:

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 12:45 PM
...other summers far better...I'm escaping soon too :p

I'm escaping too, to the Himalayas, to avoid summer altogether :lol:

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:46 PM
I will slit myself if henamn beats hewitt at wimby and england win the ashes, i cant think of a worse sporting combo!! :scared:

I'm sharpening the knife for you right now... :devil:

It would give me greater satisfaction if someone else beat Hewitt at Wimbledon...enter Ivo Karlovic!! :lol:

NicoFan
06-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Ah, strawberries and cream, the wonders of BBC choice (for the first time this year! ( :banana: ), the sounds of middle-age housewives chanting Henman's name, the return of our favourite ( :rolleyes: ) commentators in John Lloyd and Andrew Castle, people talking up / down Henman's chances ( :rolleyes: )...British journeymen...the ATP calendar would be sadly lacking if it didn't include a British grasscourt season!!

And don't forget a totally screwed up way of doing the seeding for the tournament... :(

Actually I was there last year - and I loved it! Even in the rain.

I loved waiting in line, loved loved loved Henman hill, loved the atmosphere, loved the people (British people are very very polite), and they don't have 1000 stupid rules like the US Open has...

Horatio Caine
06-05-2005, 12:56 PM
And don't forget a totally screwed up way of doing the seeding for the tournament... :(

Actually I was there last year - and I loved it! Even in the rain.

I loved waiting in line, loved loved loved Henman hill, loved the atmosphere, loved the people (British people are very very polite), and they don't have 1000 stupid rules like the US Open has...

Yeah I was there too for the first time and loved it as well. The rain on day 1 was a bit bad (only half the schedule completed) but I guess we got 100% of the essence of Wimbledon because of it!

The US Open has "1000 rules" but still allows people to walk about in the stadium mid-point and for speakers to blare out music?? :scared:

NicoFan
06-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Yeah I was there too for the first time and loved it as well. The rain on day 1 was a bit bad (only half the schedule completed) but I guess we got 100% of the essence of Wimbledon because of it!

The US Open has "1000 rules" but still allows people to walk about in the stadium mid-point and for speakers to blare out music?? :scared:

I definitely got the essence - lol! Was there from the first Monday through Thursday - couldn't get in on that Friday were they had record crowds - including the rained out day - I think it was Wednesday?

They are so stupid at the US Open - they have rules on food and backpacks that they are crazed abou. And the important stuff like people walking in and out of matches during points, loud noise, people's cell phones going off throughout the matches which I'd like to :smash: , they ignore. Its loco...

tangerine_dream
06-05-2005, 03:24 PM
Clay snobs own. ;)
I'd turn into a clay snob just for you Jennay. :cool:

Lady Natalia
06-05-2005, 03:28 PM
I love your signature Tangy. But I have to ask, who is the cow in your avatar?

tangerine_dream
06-05-2005, 04:27 PM
I love your signature Tangy. But I have to ask, who is the cow in your avatar?
Thanks, Natalia. The cow symbolizes the king of grass himself: Roger. Some of us Fed-Rod fans call him "Moo-moo" or just plain "Moo!" :p

Lady Natalia
06-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks, Natalia. The cow symbolizes the king of grass himself: Roger. Some of us Fed-Rod fans call him "Moo-moo". :p

Moo-moo :haha:

Neely
06-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Good to see that finally good strokes and taking risk gets rewarded more often on grass by a winner or an unretrievable shot than on a surface which slows down the speed of the balls after the bounce.

Now it will be shown who can set up his shots in a shorter amount of time and who can really well return the ball not being slowed down by a layer of clay.

Action Jackson
06-06-2005, 11:44 AM
Good to see the serve dominate and use of less resources to win a point and turning defense into attack.

SanTaureau Fan
06-06-2005, 12:05 PM
Not forgetting Henman Hill, "Henmania", clueless idiots with Union Jacks painted on their faces who don't now the first thing about tennis..............I hate the grass season :devil:

I don't understand why people hate on Hen "gans" :confused: They cheer for their player, what's wrong with that? I didn't know you had to be a tennis expert to support Henman anyway.

joeb_uk
06-06-2005, 12:23 PM
Worst surface there is to be honest (watched 4 days of tennis at surbiton and queens and the points are to short). Alot of the players do come to the net alot, but even the baseliners dont seem to play long points (just boring 5 shot points). I like to see a player move the opponent around the court like on clay (but on grass it is preety boring to watch). The only time i would enjoy the grass court matches if two claycourt players were playing :cool:

Players like nalbandian are great to watch on grass, but these players who finish the point within 5 points or by the net after 2/3 are quite boring to watch.

joeb_uk
06-06-2005, 12:26 PM
Good to see the serve dominate and use of less resources to win a point and turning defense into attack.
exactly :sad:

gooner88
06-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Worst surface there is to be honest (watched 4 days of tennis at surbiton and queens and the points are to short). Alot of the players do come to the net alot, but even the baseliners dont seem to play long points (just boring 5 shot points). I like to see a player move the opponent around the court like on clay (but on grass it is preety boring to watch). The only time i would enjoy the grass court matches if two claycourt players were playing :cool:

Players like nalbandian are great to watch on grass, but these players who finish the point within 5 points or by the net after 2/3 are quite boring to watch.

I'm with you on that one!
Just been watching the coverage of Queens and the points are just too short. Rusedski's even been hitting 2nd serve aces. :eek:
I hope players like Nalbo and Hewitt go deep into Wimby this year. I don't think I could stand a month-long servefest.

joeb_uk
06-06-2005, 02:36 PM
I dont mind seeing players coming to the net now and then (but the majority of matches i have seen they come to the net so often and the point has finished before it has even started). Also the serving is a problem too, especially if you have players like rusedski who have nothing but a serve.

Still many baseline players dont seem to get their rhythm on grass and the points are still short :D

About the only match ive seen in the past few weeks which had conistent hitting from the baseline was mankad - mergea at surbiton :D

Its not that i want to see claycourt players on grass, i just like to see points that dont last 5 shots lol! (i like to see play from the baseline, where the opponent is working the player, not hitting a serve or a volley after two strokes to finish the point).

tangerine_dream
06-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I don't understand why people hate on Hen "gans" :confused: They cheer for their player, what's wrong with that? I didn't know you had to be a tennis expert to support Henman anyway.
But it's Rosie you're talking to, dear.

Neely
06-08-2005, 03:49 PM
I'm very satisfied with the play on grass that I have seen so far. Strong serves, lots of aces and service winners, good volleys, offensive and attacking play, even some good baseline exchanges in some matches when both played from the baseline, beautifully efficient drop shots.

It's good to watch matches on a surface that doesn't slow down the balls and its bounces for those who can't handle the faster conditions. Enough with the pointless, non-eventful, non-high-risk and endless topspin and moonball baseline rallies on clay! :yeah: On grass you need something different or else you loooooooose....

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 03:50 PM
Enough with the pointless, non-eventful, non-high-risk and endless topspin and moonball baseline rallies on clay! :yeah:

Bruguera has retired, but myths are always better. :)

Raquel
06-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I am glad we are back on grass (as a Roger fan I guess that's no surprise) but I think it's great tennis has a variety of surfaces so that all types of player has a chance. And it's a good measure of a champion if they can handle it on clay, hard and grass at the top level. The rallies on grass are shorter but I don't think serve dominates much more than on carpet or hard courts. If you put Roddick on a hard court he'll get near to the same aces as a grass court I would think.

I enjoyed RG but I am glad the clay matches are over for a while. Puerta v Davydenko for example was almost mind numbing. The mind numbing grass matches take less time at least.

Raquel
06-08-2005, 04:22 PM
Its not that i want to see claycourt players on grass, i just like to see points that dont last 5 shots lol! (i like to see play from the baseline, where the opponent is working the player, not hitting a serve or a volley after two strokes to finish the point).
I actually like seeing volleys again. If we didn't have the variety, the game would die. I like seeing someone try and get past a volleyer and I like seeing people volleying before it totally dies out.

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 04:23 PM
I actually like seeing volleys again. If we didn't have the variety, the game would die. I like seeing someone try and get past a volleyer and I like seeing people volleying before it totally dies out.

Volleying will not die out.

Raquel
06-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Volleying will not die out.
Ok volleying won't die out but serve and volleying almost has. I find myself liking Tim Henman more and more each year because his game is now different to most of the top 20. Max still serves and volleys and Roger comes forward a lot, but the majority of the top 20 stay back on grass after the serve for the majority of the time. Even Roddick. Serve and volleying has died out on the women's game. That's official. When Tim retires, few are left playing that style.

Action Jackson
06-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Ok volleying won't die out but serve and volleying almost has. I find myself liking Tim Henman more and more each year because his game is now different to most of the top 20. Max still serves and volleys and Roger comes forward a lot, but the majority of the top 20 stay back on grass after the serve for the majority of the time. Even Roddick. Serve and volleying has died out on the women's game. That's official. When Tim retires, few are left playing that style.

The game adapts and moves forward, there was a time when it was just serve/volleyers and that ridiculously fast tennis was dominant when they slowed it down, now it's not the case, but things go in cycles.

*Ljubica*
06-08-2005, 04:36 PM
I dont mind seeing players coming to the net now and then (but the majority of matches i have seen they come to the net so often and the point has finished before it has even started). Also the serving is a problem too, especially if you have players like rusedski who have nothing but a serve.

Still many baseline players dont seem to get their rhythm on grass and the points are still short :D

About the only match ive seen in the past few weeks which had conistent hitting from the baseline was mankad - mergea at surbiton :D

I agree with you so much Joe :) I just came home from work, turned on the TV - and within 10 minutes I was switching channels because Greg Rusedski's big serve was driving me crazy with boredom :devil: Watching a good player vary his game with some big serves, some volleys and some baseline play like Federer or Henman is entertaining to me - but not the straight big serve stuff.

As for the "Henmaniacs" San Taureau fan - well, it's quite hard to explain unless you're a Brit (there are several excellent posts on the subject in other threads from posters like basil333 and jenrios), - but I guess many of us dislike them because they are not REAL Henman fans and know next to nothing about tennis apart from the "hype" of Wimbledon. Henman is a great player and a class guy and I love lots of his REAL fans like Jez who follow his results around the world and support him - but "Henmaniacs" are not the same thing at all. They are usually just a bunch of people who are clueless about tennis, wouldn't have the first idea that Henman won a Master's event in 2003, and just think it's "big" to get drunk and go the Wimbledon for 2 weeks a year - and then promptly forget about tennis (and Tim) for the other 50!

Nimomunz
06-08-2005, 06:51 PM
wimbledon introduced me to tennis and it just feels right or proper for the game to be played on that surface.........eeekk did i jus say proper

RogersGirl
06-12-2005, 02:25 AM
THANK GOD FOR GRASS

Fee
06-12-2005, 02:46 AM
wimbledon introduced me to tennis and it just feels right or proper for the game to be played on that surface.........eeekk did i jus say proper

I agree, the same thing happened to me. The first tennis match I ever saw was a match from Wimbledon and it made me a fan. Tennis was invented on grass and its meant to be played on grass, but now that its an international sport I appreciate the way it moves from season to season (surface to surface) and the variety that brings. And right now, its grass season! :woohoo:

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 03:20 AM

:yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 03:22 AM
Bruguera has retired, but myths are always better. :)

The stereotyping of claycourt tennis from the Wimbledon Propaganda Minister is always good for a laugh. Especially when she follows it up with a rant on how grass court tennis isn't as awful as many people seem to think.

Chloe le Bopper
06-12-2005, 03:24 AM
Wimbledon is the first slam that I can remember watching too, but somehow that hasn't led me to thinking it was Da Shit. And I will never think that, no matter how many times they try to tell me that it is :D

Neely
06-12-2005, 03:02 PM
Wimbledon is the first slam that I can remember watching too, but somehow that hasn't led me to thinking it was Da Shit. And I will never think that, no matter how many times they try to tell me that it is :D
Sure :shrug: just like I wouldn't think the same about tennis on clay, totally irrespective of how many GWHs or Chloes would be here :)

Neely
06-12-2005, 03:05 PM
An eventful week of great grasscourt tennis (especially in Halle) comes to an end :yeah:

But only three more left. :( :sad:

Fee
06-12-2005, 03:15 PM
Neely, I think we need to start a new thread. Notice how only one or two grass comments were made in their thread (and Rosie said it was a peaceful place for the clay fans to hang out together) but some of them have come in here to make negative comments about grass and whatnot.

Neely
06-12-2005, 03:23 PM
Fee :lol: lol, no problem, then I'm celebrating (almost) alone that I like tennis on grass best among all undergrounds :angel: :D

When I'm speaking in euphoria :angel: maybe I'm sounding much too devaluing towards other surfaces (thanks to Chloe for calling my attention on my rants, otherwise I hadn't noticed it myself), but for me, grasscourts are really a very special part of the season that I'm looking forward since long time after the tennis year has started :)

Fee
06-12-2005, 03:39 PM
Well, I love it too. I wish it was just a little bit longer, but the fact that it always comes at this time of year is part of what makes it special to me. When it's played well, I love grass tennis. You have to think fast and pay attention and I love the net play because that's the way I try to play tennis (but I suck at tennis :D). And then from here we go to the hardcourts and the hot weather leading up to the chaos of the USO. It just seems to fit somehow. I love the seasons of tennis.

Raquel
06-12-2005, 04:34 PM
Serve doesn't just dominate on grass though. Goran, Pete, Boris etc. all won on hard and indoor courts holding serves there too. I enjoy grass tennis and enjoy clay a lot too but I don't think people who win on grass with good serves are any less worthy of a win than players on clay courts who spin serves in and therefore have to work harder for a point.

If there's an incorrect myth about claycourters, the myth that on grass serve totally dominates is wrong also. Sure, you get a match like Karlovic v Roddick where serve does dominate but I think on the whole grass court tennis is much more varied and takes a lot more skill than it did in the 1990s. I look at Roger and Lleyton winning Wimbledon the last 3 years and I don't automatically think - their serves dominated and they used less resources.

It seems to me in some peoples eyes that if you have the skill to use less resources and still be better than everyone else, you're somehow less worthy than someone who is out there for 4 hours.

I just think it's great tennis has such a variety of surfaces and I hope that doesn't change.

bad gambler
06-13-2005, 01:06 AM
Well, I love it too. I wish it was just a little bit longer, but the fact that it always comes at this time of year is part of what makes it special to me. When it's played well, I love grass tennis. You have to think fast and pay attention and I love the net play because that's the way I try to play tennis (but I suck at tennis :D). And then from here we go to the hardcourts and the hot weather leading up to the chaos of the USO. It just seems to fit somehow. I love the seasons of tennis.

I think what you are trying to say is that you love tennis, period :p

Fee
06-13-2005, 01:17 AM
I think what you are trying to say is that you love tennis, period :p

Pretty much. :p

Watch tennis
Play tennis
Talk about tennis on the 'net
Go to work (to support my tennis habits)

In that order

:lol:

alfonsojose
06-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Well, if u call "resource" a point whit 300 shots, the serve, the winner and 298 inside-outside topspin forehands :yawn:

I don't like clay and its longer points, but i can admire it and understand what diferrent surfaces bring for the game

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 03:50 AM
Sure :shrug: just like I wouldn't think the same about tennis on clay, totally irrespective of how many GWHs or Chloes would be here :)

I don't believe that I asked you to.

You can't really compare to the two. Those of us who think Wimbledon is no more special than the other slams have to deal with the "Wimbledon is the best major!" year in, year out. You don't get the same bullshit with Roland Garros, aside from a few of us fans who say that we prefer it.

Besides, unlike you I don't ramble on and stereotype grasscourt tennis in the most ridiculous fashion possible like you do with clay. :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 03:52 AM
Neely, I think we need to start a new thread. Notice how only one or two grass comments were made in their thread (and Rosie said it was a peaceful place for the clay fans to hang out together) but some of them have come in here to make negative comments about grass and whatnot.

Why do you think that starting a new thread is going ot stop some of us from wanting to share our opinions? I have no problem with people celebrating grasscourt tennis. I also see nothing wrong with sharing my own opinion of it in this thread. Perhaps if Neely wasn't dipshitting about claycourt tennis as if it were 1985 all over again, I'd tone it down. Be grateful that I'm not stereotyping :)

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 03:54 AM
Fee :lol: lol, no problem, then I'm celebrating (almost) alone that I like tennis on grass best among all undergrounds :angel: :D

When I'm speaking in euphoria :angel: maybe I'm sounding much too devaluing towards other surfaces (thanks to Chloe for calling my attention on my rants, otherwise I hadn't noticed it myself), but for me, grasscourts are really a very special part of the season that I'm looking forward since long time after the tennis year has started :)

There's nothing wrong with your rants. You do go out of you way to devalue the other surfaces, but if you feel that way there is no reason to stop. I can't say that I've never devalued another surface in favour of clay.

It would be boring if everybody here hated zee grass.

Auscon
06-13-2005, 03:58 AM
I love the clay tournaments, but because I rarely have access to seeing any of the matches, I cant wait to have a grandslam back on my own tv, so I'm glad the grass is here.

(this year was my best in terms of RG viewing....got to watch the semi, some of Roddicks final match, Gaudio v Mantilla)

Chloe le Bopper
06-13-2005, 04:03 AM
I will add something positive:

I miss Rafter! If he returned I could love zee grass again :D

There just isn't really anybody who plays on it like he did anymore.

Henman and Roger are enjoyable, Grosjean is not bad, and I imagine a few lower ranked players that I don't get to see are enjoyable.. but there just aren't many players that play enjoyable tennis on the surface anymore, it seems. Feel free to name some other players for me so that I don't turn the TV off immediately if they are on ;)

Auscon
06-13-2005, 04:11 AM
I will add something positive:

I miss Rafter! If he returned I could love zee grass again :D

There just isn't really anybody who plays on it like he did anymore.

Henman and Roger are enjoyable, Grosjean is not bad, and I imagine a few lower ranked players that I don't get to see are enjoyable.. but there just aren't many players that play enjoyable tennis on the surface anymore, it seems. Feel free to name some other players for me so that I don't turn the TV off immediately if they are on ;)

well, Tim competes with a similar game, but its just not nearly as impressive :)

all other serve volley players these days just hope to win the point with their serve alone.....Pat served to get the volley, to win the point, and helped keep it an art form well worth watching

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 10:24 AM

I have been hearing the Wimbledon is the greatest tournament propaganda for years, when it's not the necessarily the case and the justification for this, mostly through extreme ethnocentristic views, though this is not solely the case today and yes, people are less of human beings if they think otherwise or don't have a clue about what they are talking out, when subjectivity and bias are everyday things.

As for your rants about clay and love of grass are just you, and when I do the same albeit in vice versa there isn't anything different. The stereotypes well it's easy to find examples which fit into one particular point of view.

As I said the myths are always more interesting, than the reality. Yes, considering I think if possible they should extend the grass season, but that is not fun is it, as I am just a dirty claycourt philistine.

Action Jackson
06-14-2005, 10:33 AM
Well, if u call "resource" a point whit 300 shots, the serve, the winner and 298 inside-outside topspin forehands :yawn:

I don't like clay and its longer points, but i can admire it and understand what diferrent surfaces bring for the game

What I am saying is that it's not just enough to win on clay with a serve, and yes everything comes into play on clay moreso than on other surfaces. The use of angles, varying the speed of shot and it's not just topspin, there are other spins that are used, the drop shot, lobs and endurance which is part of the game, whether people like it or not. That is not the case on the faster surfaces, where the serve is dominant, though nowhere near as bad as it was.

morningglory
06-14-2005, 02:28 PM
Clay = retrieve like a mad labrador and hope for errors
Grass = serve and attack + lots of guts
for me, winning based on your own winners is much, much more commendable than basing your success on someone else's failures...
and yes... clay does have its attacking maneuvers too, mostly based on baseline strokes rathere than at the net, but on the surface offensive play is far less rewarded, so the cowardly, but consistent player usually wins. i.e. Nadal vs Puerta RG 2005
Just my humble opinion, though...

Neely
06-14-2005, 03:11 PM
O. Rochus def. Kim 6-7(7) 7-6(3) 7-6(7) :crazy:

Good fight guys, that's more coser to the scoreline I want to see :)
Hold serve strong many many times in the whole match, and not blowing and blowing and choking breaks back and back....

DanEd
06-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Mirnyi def Sargsian 6-2 6-0 :p

O. Rochus def. Kim 6-7(7) 7-6(3) 7-6(7) :crazy:

Good fight guys, that's more coser to the scoreline I want to see :)
Hold serve strong many many times in the whole match, and not blowing and blowing and choking breaks back and back....

NATAS81
06-14-2005, 03:30 PM
Too short of a grass season, can't pass judgement.

Johansson(s), Roddick do good on it so :yeah:

Chloe le Bopper
06-14-2005, 06:49 PM
for me, winning based on your own winners is much, much more commendable than basing your success on someone else's failures...
and yes... clay does have its attacking maneuvers too, mostly based on baseline strokes rathere than at the net, but on the surface offensive play is far less rewarded, so the cowardly, but consistent player usually wins. i.e. Nadal vs Puerta RG 2005

Nadal... cowardly?!

Okay, you win the "most ridiculous post of the day" prize. Congrats :yeah:

DDrago2
06-14-2005, 07:22 PM

I actually totally agree about Nadal (and the grass). Nadal did play a bit cowardly that finals, and also semi-finals against Federer. Those were not amongst his good matches this season, although he won. But it's understandable because he is so unexperienced - I still think he showed great guts.

But grass is much more risky, offensive surface... A match or a set so often hangs on one ball. And you have to attack... It is a more high-performance surface, the most masculine kind of tennis.

oz_boz
06-15-2005, 10:23 AM
I like clay, since players with lesser technical skills don't reach finals on that surface. And players who only retrieve balls usually don't win RG, power is important too.

World Beater
06-15-2005, 04:33 PM
i like attacking clay court tennis. If grinders are on clay, it can be bad. But when two players are going for shots on a clay court, magical things can happen. Too often, the point ends too quickly on grass when players have amazing ability.

Grass court tennis just like claycourt tennis can be amazing. It really depends on who is playing.

Neely
06-20-2005, 08:58 AM
After only two weeks of grasscourt tennis, the ultimate highlight of the season for me is going to start today! :banana:

Bring on Wimbledon! :woohoo:

Neely
06-26-2005, 07:21 PM
Damn, only one more week of great grasscourt tennis to go :(

Nevertheless, into the 2nd week of Wimbledon tomorrow! :banana:

bad thing is I only have two favourites left in the draw....

joeb_uk
06-26-2005, 07:24 PM
Its nearly over :woohoo: on to the hardcourts and clay tournaments :worship:

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:26 PM
Båstad and Gstaad are not far away now.

Plus some interesting names in the 4th round.

Neely
06-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Båstad and Gstaad are not far away now.
Damn, I love the Swedish Mickey Mouse claycourt event :)

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:29 PM
Damn, I love the Swedish Mickey Mouse claycourt event :)

You wish Munich or Houston was as good.

Neely
06-26-2005, 07:33 PM
You wish Munich or Houston was as good.
they're giving the same amount of points, same category = Mickey Mouse

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:36 PM
they're giving the same amount of points, same category = Mickey Mouse

Roland Garros champs turn up at either Båstad or Gstaad, you need to know your Mickey Mouse events. Next you will call Dubai, Kitzbhuel and Stuttgart Mickey Mouse events.

Neely
06-26-2005, 07:40 PM
Next you will call Dubai, Kitzbhuel and Stuttgart Mickey Mouse events.
No, of course not, they are all higher.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:43 PM
No, of course not, they are all higher.

If you try and convince me that Buenos Aires in recent years is a MM event, then I know you're trolling and even Umag this year is definitely not one, so the label needs to fit.

Neely
06-26-2005, 07:45 PM
If you try and convince me that Buenos Aires in recent years is a MM event, then I know you're trolling and even Umag this year is definitely not one, so the label needs to fit.
The label is purely subjective what events you want to call MM and what not. However your point is taken that RG Champs usually show up in Bastad.

Action Jackson
06-26-2005, 07:47 PM
The label is purely subjective what events you want to call MM and what not. However your point is taken that RG Champs usually show up in Bastad.

There are some that are pure MM events like Casachallenger, Newport, Metz for example and others that have the same value that aren't.

Jogy
06-26-2005, 08:05 PM
I will only to enjoy the play on gras when Federer and Nalbandian are not winners Wimbledon at Sunday.

NYCtennisfan
06-26-2005, 08:44 PM
Damn, I love the Swedish Mickey Mouse claycourt event

LOL!

NYCtennisfan
06-26-2005, 08:46 PM

In the grand scheme of things, they are mickeymouse. Some good players in both but mickeymouse nonetheless. The tournaments can't help it. They are placed in certain parts of the calendar that render them mickeymouse. But those are just labels. The people who go there will probably get to see some good tennis and have a good time.

Neely
07-04-2005, 03:53 PM
Okay, the most important tennis tournament of the whole world is over since yesterday.... :( It was a good time, the lead up events to the big ones included. Unfortunately, again it was too fast and I wish it would be a 512 player field to play four weeks :angel: :lol:

Now it's all about following the last precious grass court event of the season, the Mickey Mouse tournament in Newport where actually some players are in that I'm interested in :) :banana:

:yeah: ;)

lucashg
07-04-2005, 03:58 PM
It was definitely a good grass season. :) :cool:
There were a lot of matches with great quality, and the result couldn't have been better (on the men's side).

Raquel
07-04-2005, 04:02 PM
It was definitely a good grass season. :) :cool:
There were a lot of matches with great quality, and the result couldn't have been better (on the men's side).
Yeah I agree :) Some good matches at Wimbledon and the end result could not have been better for me too ;) I hope Andy Murray does well in Newport but I am glad a couple of my other favourites - JCF and Tommy - are back on the clay. JCF did well at Wimbledon though.

Action Jackson
07-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Great Båstad and Gstaad are over and have kicked off the last good part of the circuit which ends in Palermo.

Neely
07-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Time to retire this great thread with its included happy message that grasscourt tennis has arrived (at least for the fellow grasscourt lovers ;)

As I knew in advance that I probably won't get to see anything of the Australia vs Argentina grasscourt tie, I hoped until the last time that at least Austria would decide to play on grass against Ecuador, but unlikely as I rated the chances for that to happen it actually didn't happen at the end.

So it looks like as if there would be really a very long time until I get to see this incredibly enjoyable tennis surface again :( :sad: :sobbing: .... :(

PaulieM
07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
i miss the grass already :sad:

Neely
07-11-2005, 02:48 PM
i miss the grass already :sad:
I feel ya :hug:

BTW, for the next seasons I hope that there will be again a sort of "back to the roots" movement considering the speed of the grasscourts.

It's not only an annual occurence that the grass in s'Hertogenbosch is usually rather slow, it's a global movement over almost all grasscourt tournaments (and not only that). Even courts at Wimbledon were sometimes just too slow, same with Queen's compared to last year IMO.

That's a big no-no.

Action Jackson
07-11-2005, 02:50 PM
I feel ya :hug:

BTW, for the next seasons I hope that there will be again a sort of "back to the roots" movement considering the speed of the grasscourts.

It's not only an annual occurence that the grass in s'Hertogenbosch is usually rather slow, it's a global movement over almost all grasscourt tournaments (and not only that). Even courts at Wimbledon were sometimes just too slow, same with Queen's compared to last year IMO.

That's a big no-no.

No complaints about clay being sped up and using lighter balls? Why is that then?

Neely
07-13-2005, 04:00 PM
No complaints about clay being sped up and using lighter balls? Why is that then?
Since you are online now I'm more than happy to answer you this.

In my theory, both clay and grass should preserve its charateristics. The properties of each surface always vary from tournament to tournament, but it shouldn't become the general trend that the speed of play on clay and grass is sped up or slowed down, respectively.

Action Jackson
07-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Since you are online now I'm more than happy to answer you this.

In my theory, both clay and grass should preserve its charateristics. The properties of each surface always vary from tournament to tournament, but it shouldn't become the general trend that the speed of play on clay and grass is sped up or slowed down, respectively.

It has happened already and if you think the above, then why the non-criticism of the clay being sped up, while the condemnation of grass being slowed down, wasn't stated previously?

At the same time I can see why they chose to do it, doesn't mean I agree with it.

Neely
07-13-2005, 04:08 PM
It has happened already
yes it happened already, that's why I am denouncing it

then why the non-criticism of the clay being sped up
Maybe because I like more talking about grass, because I normally and in general enjoy tennis more on faster surfaces, especially in a thread like this one which was specifically created for this purpose? :shrug:

Action Jackson
07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Maybe because I like more talking about grass, because I normally and in general enjoy tennis more on faster surfaces, especially in a thread like this one which was specifically created for this purpose? :shrug:

Maybe it's because it has been accepted by the lower classes that like claycourt tennis, that it's alright to fiddle with the game on that surface, but it's devaluing tennis on grass, then again that above explanation makes sense in its own way.

Action Jackson
06-06-2010, 05:06 PM
For the grass lovers.

safin-rules-no.1
06-06-2010, 05:13 PM
:smoke:

oranges
06-06-2010, 05:32 PM
Graaaasssss!! If only there was more than 5 players who can play grasscourt tennis too, I'd pee my pants from excitement right now.

Jimnik
06-06-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.tomvadnais.com/gal-europe/slides/Rolling%20Hills%20and%20Cypresses.jpg

Isn't it beautiful. :hearts:

cardio
06-06-2010, 05:59 PM
It is always relief and joy when grass season starts. For me is is best part of tennis year, starting from 1988, when Edberg won that memorable first Wimby trophy and it never changes. Even now when Wimby is slower and there are hardly any S&V players left in top100 ,it is still excellent feeling to watch players on green grass of Queens Club and Wimbledon

DrJules
06-06-2010, 06:03 PM
But is it Nadal resistant grass.:lol::lol::lol:

Jimnik
06-06-2010, 06:08 PM
But is it Nadal resistant grass.:lol::lol::lol:
All grass (real grass) is Nadal resistant. Ask any grass court purist. :p

Green clay, now that's another matter. ;)

andy neyer
06-06-2010, 06:10 PM
I have always thought that grass is a clownish surface to play tennis but what the hell.

fran70
06-06-2010, 07:13 PM
This is great that the grass court season is starting (I would love to have a few more weeks per year of it though) but definitely it`s much more interesting that we can enjoy a clay, hard and grass outdoor court season as well as a carpet and hard indoor courts one too. Otherwise tennis would be so boring boy.

Pirata.
06-06-2010, 07:15 PM
The best surface :hug:

Crowdmaker
06-06-2011, 06:55 AM
Really looking forward...expect Nadal-Fed-Novak supremacy to
be broken somehow!
Or by some young guns like Raonic, Dimitrov or by some
familiar faces who might rise like Berdych, Nalbaldian.
Not to forget "floating mines“ like Isner (c'mon, he was good enough to take 2 sets in RG from Nadal) or Karlovic calibre...
Disscus, please!
:)

A_Skywalker
06-06-2011, 06:57 AM
Dimitrov will break only his rackette.

Topspindoctor
06-06-2011, 07:00 AM
Really looking forward...expect Nadal-Fed-Novak supremacy to
be broken somehow!
Or by some young guns like Raonic, Dimitrov or by some
familiar faces who might rise like Berdych, Nalbaldian.
Not to forget "floating mines“ like Isner (c'mon, he was good enough to take 2 sets in RG from Nadal) or Karlovic calibre...
Disscus, please!
:)

Nadal is winning Wimbledon. He gained a boatload of confidence @ RG. He is free to play with pressure off with the title under his belt. His year is already fantastic. Qualified for WTF and got another GS. He'll play without nerves and swing freely. He loves grass and Wimby is his favorite slam. He will take the title like in 08 and 10.

Jimnik
06-06-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes!!!

Filo V.
06-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Glad grass and then HC is coming up. I'm tired of ATP clay. Overall, it was a dull clay season.

Sonja1989
06-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm glad for grass but you won't hear it from me 2-3 weeks later. :devil:

croat123
06-06-2011, 12:36 PM
ugh..lopez and tursunov are already in some long rallies...too slow :o

Sonja1989
06-06-2011, 12:37 PM
Actually I like it. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

STUHL
06-06-2011, 12:40 PM
Glad grass and then HC is coming up. I'm tired of ATP clay. Overall, it was a dull clay season.+1

Ouragan
06-06-2011, 03:12 PM
Red clay, green clay, who cares, at the end it's Fedal who wins

star
06-06-2011, 03:30 PM
For the grass lovers.

Bumping again? :rolleyes:

Before you were GM mod, you did this for trolling purposes. What is it now?

Johnny Groove
06-06-2011, 03:55 PM
Why, yes.

I love grass.

rafa_maniac
06-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Grass is my favourite part of the year, wish it were longer :(

MaxPower
06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
Sweet sweet grass. Always welcome after the red clay of the devil. The filthy clay that is blowing in the wind, sticking to your shoes and that you can't throw yourself on without locking like a dirty spaniard after a RG win.

Fat Camel
06-06-2011, 04:07 PM
The grass is my favourite surface, but each year i can't watch Wimbledon normally :(

.-Federers_Mate-.
06-06-2011, 04:47 PM
So pumped for wimbledon. The sense of epicness. The tennis kingdom. So much history, so much importance. It will make or break players careers. The Federer vs Nadal semi will go into the darkness...

The publicity. The smell of the lawn in wimbldon. the difference from the all the other slams. The fans. BBC. Love it.