John McEnroe says Coria was devastated [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

John McEnroe says Coria was devastated

Devotee
06-04-2005, 12:27 PM
I heard John McEnroe state on TV that Coria had been devastated by his loss to Davydenko. I don't know if he was making a casual observation or he got this information from somewhere.
This could mean Coria is emotionally traumatized or just very very disappointed.

Does anyone on this board have any inside information?

Horatio Caine
06-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Well as Coria manages to cry pretty much every time he loses...this is a pretty daft observation.

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 01:00 PM
I can understand if he's traumatized. He was totally *on his way* to winning that final last year and then he had a body malfunction. And now, this 19-year-old Nadal kid shows up and usurps the clay king throne, and then he goes out to a great player, but still, many didn't expect him to lose that match. Poor Guille. He must be traumatized, and maybe has a bruised ego. I would be traumatized if I were him because he lost on such a great opportunity the previous year, and now with Nadal, I am sure he is facing a lot of uncertainty.

connectolove
06-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Well, I have read, and I don't remember the source since I read from so many magazines, that coria was pretty sure that he was going to play Nadal in the final. He really didn't expect losing to Davydenko or any other player than Nadal for that matter. Also, Coria said in an interview that after having played Nadal and Federer he considered Nadal the strongest and the most dangerous of the two.

NicoFan
06-04-2005, 01:04 PM
I feel so bad for Coria. Unfortunately I didn't see the match so don't know what went wrong, but I have trouble understanding how Coria could let someone like Davydenko beat him on his best surface.

Poor Guille... :-(

Especially after what happened last year.

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I feel so bad for Coria. Unfortunately I didn't see the match so don't know what went wrong, but I have trouble understanding how Coria could let someone like Davydenko beat him on his best surface.

Try the fact that Davydenko outhit him didn't make many errors after losing the 1st set and took his chances.

sigmagirl91
06-04-2005, 01:07 PM
Devastated, I'm sure. After all, he was supposed to be in the final with Nadal so he can salvage his bruised ego after losing to Gaudio last year.

the cat
06-04-2005, 01:31 PM
Coria should be upset about over playing heading into Roland Garros. His schedule made absolutely no sense and he played too much clay court tennis and it caught up to him in Paris. Coria should have been resting up the week before the French Open but he was in Dusseldorf playing still more tennis.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 01:35 PM
If Coria has nothing more to be traumatised about in his life than a tennis match - then he should count himself very lucky. He is very wealthy young man with a beautiful wife and more opportunities than most people will ever have in their lifetimes. I am sure he was sad to lose (every professional is sad to lose any match), but if he was "traumatised" then maybe he ought to seek another form of employment :devil:

connectolove
06-04-2005, 01:39 PM
posted by the cat: "Coria should be upset about over playing heading into Roland Garros. His schedule made absolutely no sense and he played too much clay court tennis and it caught up to him in Paris. Coria should have been resting up the week before the French Open but he was in Dusseldorf playing still more tennis.

That is sooo right. He must have thought that he was invincible.

onewoman74
06-04-2005, 01:40 PM
If Coria has nothing more to be traumatised about in his life than a tennis match - then he should count himself very lucky. He is very wealthy young man with a beautiful wife and more opportunities than most people will ever have in their lifetimes. I am sure he was sad to lose (every professional is sad to lose any match), but if he was "traumatised" then maybe he ought to seek another form of employment :devil:

I agree w/ that assessment...it's sport anything can happen in the future. You have to keep it together and know there is always a next time. His career is far from over-stay healthy and the opportunities will come.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 01:40 PM
That is sooo right. He must have thought that he was invincible.

No one is invincible. Mind you - the decisions to play these extra tournaments were really those of his coach and Physical Trainer, not of Coria himself. Maybe they just pushed him too hard.

the cat
06-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Great post Rosie about Coria's life. :D :worship: But he better make out his own schedule from now on and not let his handlers do it for him. Guille has been around long enough to make out his own schedule. And didn't Coria have major right shoulder surgery less than a year ago? It was foolish and risky to have him play so much tennis this spring. :(

Connect, I think Guile now knows he's not invincible. I just hope he didn't damage his surgically repaired right shoulder in the process of over playing this spring.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 02:17 PM
Great post Rosie about Coria's life. :D :worship: But he better make out his own schedule from now on and not let his handlers do it for him. Guille has been around long enough to make out his own schedule. And didn't Coria have major right shoulder surgery less than a year ago? It was foolish and risky to have him play so much tennis this spring. :(

Connect, I think Guile now knows he's not invincible. I just hope he didn't damage his surgically repaired right shoulder in the process of over playing this spring.

Yes he did have major surgery, and in my opinion came back far too quickly by trying to play in the Masters' Cup last year. And guess we can't blame his advisers for that one, because he had a different coach and trainer back then, and i know for a fact that one of the reasons he split with Markus (the coach then) was because Markus wanted him to wait a bit longer before playing and Coria wanted to play TMC.

star
06-04-2005, 02:21 PM
No need to thank Rosie, Cat. She is never at a loss for a bitchy word about Guille. :lol: notice how she craftily changed the word "devastated" to "traumatized" when no one suggested he was traumatized -- not even Jmac?

I was crying a lot about Guille's schedule before Roland Garros, but Guille defended it by saying he thought the best preperation for Roland Garros was having a lot of tennis in his legs. Perhaps he will decide now that he didn't have the right strategy. But, I don't believe he can blame his handlers. He has the power to make these decisions himself, and if he let someone mislead him, he has only himself to blame.

Of course, we have only JMac's word that Coria was devastated. JMac may just be projecting. He was devastated over his loss to Lendl at Roland Garros and says in many ways he never got over it. He's also a big believer that a bad loss can change a player forever. I've heard him say this about players before, and then they've bounced back just fine. So, although I dearly respect JMac's tennis acumen, he sometimes reveals more about himself in his comment than anything else.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 02:26 PM
No need to thank Rosie, Cat. She is never at a loss for a bitchy word about Guille. :lol: notice how she craftily changed the word "devastated" to "traumatized" when no one suggested he was traumatized -- not even Jmac?

I was crying a lot about Guille's schedule before Roland Garros, but Guille defended it by saying he thought the best preperation for Roland Garros was having a lot of tennis in his legs. Perhaps he will decide now that he didn't have the right strategy. But, I don't believe he can blame his handlers. He has the power to make these decisions himself, and if he let someone mislead him, he has only himself to blame.

Of course, we have only JMac's word that Coria was devastated. JMac may just be projecting. He was devastated over his loss to Lendl at Roland Garros and says in many ways he never got over it. He's also a big believer that a bad loss can change a player forever. I've heard him say this about players before, and then they've bounced back just fine. So, although I dearly respect JMac's tennis acumen, he sometimes reveals more about himself in his comment than anything else.

I was actually taking the word "traumatised" from the posts of Devotee and Mrs.Guga - I didn't pick it out of thin air. Good to know that The Cat and others here can be just a little less vitriolic and personal against me than some other people here.

star
06-04-2005, 02:29 PM
I was actually taking the word "traumatised" from the posts of Devotee and Mrs.Guga - I didn't pick it out of thin air. Good to know that The Cat and others here can be just a little less vitriolic and personal against me than some other people here.

Ah Rosie... you are so victimized. Poor thing. Really so delicate, so innocent. It's a pity really.

ummm Maybe you should think you reap what you sew.

sigmagirl91
06-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Ah Rosie... you are so victimized. Poor thing. Really so delicate, so innocent. It's a pity really.

Aren't we a little touchy here? Damn, really now....

tennischick
06-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Coria should be upset about over playing heading into Roland Garros. His schedule made absolutely no sense and he played too much clay court tennis and it caught up to him in Paris. Coria should have been resting up the week before the French Open but he was in Dusseldorf playing still more tennis.
i agree.

but i too for some reason woke up this morning thinking of Coria and wondering how terrible he must be feeling to have been upstaged by yet another countryman. the loss to Davydenko probably doesn't hurt half as much as the fact that Puerta has made it to the final. i wonder how he is going to get past this.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Such a shame that so called mature people here can't have a discussion about tennis and/or a player without sinking into personal vendattas. Ah well -I personally haven't got time for that - I'm a bit too old for the playground now.

Cat - it was nice talking to you. :wavey:

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM
Wouldn't Coria be more devastated from what happened in the 2004 final than this year? I saw his press conference after he lost, he may have taken Davydenko lightly beforehand, but he didn't after the match, he was outplayed and admitted it.

sigmagirl91
06-04-2005, 02:34 PM

I couldn't agree more, Rosie. It's too bad the conversation turned ugly on you.

sigmagirl91
06-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Wouldn't Coria be more devastated from what happened in the 2004 final than this year? I saw his press conference after he lost, he may have taken Davydenko lightly beforehand, but he didn't after the match, he was outplayed and admitted it.

I thought the same thing, George. In his "hunger" to play Nadal again, he overlooked Davydenko. Such a pity...

sigmagirl91
06-04-2005, 02:36 PM
the loss to Davydenko probably doesn't hurt half as much as the fact that Puerta has made it to the final. i wonder how he is going to get past this.

Shit bricks.... :o

tennischick
06-04-2005, 02:37 PM
Yes he did have major surgery, and in my opinion came back far too quickly by trying to play in the Masters' Cup last year. And guess we can't blame his advisers for that one, because he had a different coach and trainer back then, and i know for a fact that one of the reasons he split with Markus (the coach then) was because Markus wanted him to wait a bit longer before playing and Coria wanted to play TMC.
i think Guga made the same mistake. but there is such pressure on these guys to defend the points they've accrued. i think Moya felt the same pressure this year and kept on playing despite a bum shoulder. that's so unfortunate.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 02:43 PM
i think Guga made the same mistake. but there is such pressure on these guys to defend the points they've accrued. i think Moya felt the same pressure this year and kept on playing despite a bum shoulder. that's so unfortunate.

I agree with you on Moya - in fact, as you say, nearly all the players these days come back too quickly from illness and injury. Massu did it this year, David did it last year - it's a shame but, as you say, there is a lot of pressure on them these days.

tennischick
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
devastation can be cumulative. having already been devastated last year, now this.

that's exactly what i woke up thinking. i hope Coria is a strong man. i wish that having a beautiful wife and a shitload of could guarantee that he will bounce back from this. but they can't. and i truly hope he does bec he is a very talented player. never mind how irritating he can be with the line calls :p

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 02:57 PM
devastation can be cumulative. having already been devastated last year, now this.

that's exactly what i woke up thinking. i hope Coria is a strong man. i wish that having a beautiful wife and a shitload of could guarantee that he will bounce back from this. but they can't. and i truly hope he does bec he is a very talented player. never mind how irritating he can be with the line calls :p

One thing that seperates Coria from the other Argentine players is that he totally seems to be obsessed with tennis, sure the other players play, but they seem to have more outside interests.

Coria probably needs to chill out a bit and as for being cumulative, there is merit in that for sure, but it's up to him to show the strength of character to come back, how he does that, is up to him.

tennischick
06-04-2005, 03:01 PM
by the way the shitload was supposed to be followed by the word "money". i was referring to Rosie's comment that he has a beautiful wife and tons of money.

my sweetie knew Coria when he was like 10 or 11. they attended some tennis camp together. and he said that Coria back then was as fiercely competitive as he is now. he has some hilarious stories about Coria during this phase. if he is half the man as he was the child, he will be bitter but fine.

:wavey:

Chloe le Bopper
06-04-2005, 05:47 PM

:yeah:

Horatio Caine
06-04-2005, 05:49 PM
maybe he ought to seek another form of employment :devil:

The sooner the better! :devil:

tennyfan
06-04-2005, 05:57 PM
After the final last year, it was obvious Coria was devastated. But if you watch and/or read his nterview after the Davydenko match (from the official RG site), he doesn't come across devastated at all. In fact, I got the opposite impression, like he knew it wasn't meant to be this year. Maybe Mac was being a bit presumptious?

I don't think Coria underestimated Davydenko. He knew coming into this tournament that he wasn't as strong as he was last year, physically (shoulder) or mentally (confidence). He has said in every interview I've read that he's taking it one match at a time. Sure he hoped to meet up with Nada in the Final, but he always said one match at a time. He faced a very strong opponent in Davydenko and he lost. He admirably gave Davydenko every bit of credit he deserved.

Coria's loss of confidence this season *may* have to do with his loss at Roland Garros last year, but I think it has to do more with the fact that he hasn't quite yet built up the same level of confidence that he had before the shoulder surgery. He seems to be tightening up during key points, and with so many talented players out there, being able to win the big points is crucial. It's what Roger and Rafa have that make them so strong right now.

No matter what Coria does, this board always seems to give him a hard time. But I think it's hard to deny this kid plays with a lot of heart and determination. He showed that in the Rome final against Nadal. IMO his level of play has dropped since then. I can't help but wonder what toll that 5 hour match (followed by Rome and WTC) had on his shoulder.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 07:02 PM
The sooner the better! :devil:

Hey Jez - are you sure you want to be seen to agree with me on a thread like this? You might start getting badly spelt personal insults thrown at you too! And I can see you are very afraid at the thought........................ :devil:

tennyfan
06-04-2005, 07:04 PM
Rosie, why do you even come into threads about Coria? You obviously have a distaste for him, so I can only presume it's to start trouble.

the cat
06-04-2005, 07:09 PM
Hi Rosie, Star and Sigmagirl. :wavey: And TC Topcat! :wavey: :hug: Good comments TC about how devastation can be cumulative. That might be the case with Coria. But I hope not. Coria must be pulling his hair out not making it to the final with the draw he had and with Safin out of the way. :eek: I hope Guille sees the big picture in his career because he's young enough to still be playign top 10 tennis five years from now. But he plays so much tennis. I hope he can handle it. And it has to hurt him deeply to see Gaudio win Roland Garros last year and someone else this year. :( But at some point he has to put his heartbreaking 2004 Roland Garros behind him for good or the pain of that loss will linger for a long time and negatively affect his game.

TC that was nice to hear about how your sweetie went to a tennis camp with Coria. :)

And I commend the clay court players who played alot of matches on clay this spring. :worship: These players are undoubtedly tired from playing so many grueling clay court matches this clay court season and deserve our admiration. :) Especially Nadal and Coria who pushed 40 clay court matches this spring. :eek:

alfonsojose
06-04-2005, 07:10 PM
I don't like Coria either, but i still think he can do some damage outside clay. Shorter and smarter clay season + training for other surfaces. Last year final at Ordina open on grass was very good

alfonsojose
06-04-2005, 07:11 PM
Coria should focuse more on rebound ace too. He can play well on it

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Rosie, why do you even come into threads about Coria? You obviously have a distaste for him, so I can only presume it's to start trouble.

Strangely enough, tennyfan, because I love tennis and enjoy discussing the subject with mature adults who can do the same without reverting to personal insults. No - I admit don't like Coria personally, but i do admire some things about his game and would like to see him healthy and competing on the tour because the game needs all types of players - not just the ones that I like. If you read back through this thread you will see that there was a perfectly amicable discussion going on between myself, Devotee, Jez and The Cat, until a couple of people who have a personal problem with me starting throwing personal insults around against me - so I was certainly not the one that "started trouble". Anyway - just to keep you happy tennyfan - I will say :wavey: - because some people here are obvisouly not able to separate tennis discussions from pathetic jealousy and personal insults and I just haven't got the time for it.

tennyfan
06-04-2005, 07:30 PM
Alfonso - I always admire someone who can say something nice about a player that is not one of their favorites. I wish I knew how to give "good rep points" because I think you deserve them.

I obviously have players I prefer more than others, but I can't think of one player that I loathe so much that I feel I have to jump into every thread about them and critisize them. Every single one of these players work incredibly hard to meet the demands required to tour on the ATP Circuit, whether they are ranked in the top 10 or ranked 200. They are human beings and aren't perfect all the time.

There are so many disrespectful people on this board, most of whom have never, or will never accomplish anything in their lives because they are too busy putting people down that they don't even know personally.

Horatio Caine
06-04-2005, 07:31 PM
Hey Jez - are you sure you want to be seen to agree with me on a thread like this? You might start getting badly spelt personal insults thrown at you too! And I can see you are very afraid at the thought........................ :devil:

I will still be pissed tomorrow lunchtime so I guess I won't be able to comprehend the insults when I log back on tomorrow...!!! :devil:

Chloe le Bopper
06-04-2005, 07:32 PM

... and then to whine when people target her for being an obsessive freak.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 07:35 PM
I will still be pissed tomorrow lunchtime so I guess I won't be able to comprehend the insults when I log back on tomorrow...!!! :devil:

Pissed - Jez - you - and on a Sunday too, I am shocked :angel:

Horatio Caine
06-04-2005, 07:37 PM
Pissed - Jez - you - and on a Sunday too, I am shocked :angel:

Awww not a Sunday...spilling over from Saturday night. A mate's 21st. ;)

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Awww not a Sunday...spilling over from Saturday night. A mate's 21st. ;)

Well have a great time tonight then - have fun and be careful.

Horatio Caine
06-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Well have a great time tonight then - have fun and be careful.

haha okay mum ;) Yeah thanks...Nottingham isn't the safest of places these days. I just hope I don't walk into a deranged Coria fan on my travels! Oops, time to hide now!

tennischick
06-04-2005, 11:56 PM
TC that was nice to hear about how your sweetie went to a tennis camp with Coria. :)
he has other stories about Coria, all hilarious. i think some Argentines have a love-hate thing going for Coria. if he wins, they love him. if he loses, they're dismissive.

Cliffy said during one piece of commentary that Coria loved Carla so much and hated being away from her so much that he would tank his matches so that he could be on the next plane home. i guess there must be a sweet romantic side to him that only she knows about. but Cliffy also said that was an accouting student, so i wonder how frustrated she is that she has less money to count :p :eek:

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 12:06 AM
Is your darling 23 ? :p

tennischick
06-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Is your darling 23 ? :p
no. his family belongs to this hifalutin' Country Club in BsAs and a tennis camp was held there that summer. Coria's Dad was the coach.

Rogiman
06-05-2005, 12:16 AM
no. his family belongs to this hifalutin' Country Club in BsAs and a tennis camp was held there that summer. Coria's Dad was the coach.

Did Coria try to weasel him? :aplot:

tennischick
06-05-2005, 12:19 AM
Did Coria try to weasel him? :aplot:
something like that :lol:

Jinx
06-05-2005, 02:31 AM
he has other stories about Coria, all hilarious. i think some Argentines have a love-hate thing going for Coria. if he wins, they love him. if he loses, they're dismissive.

Cliffy said during one piece of commentary that Coria loved Carla so much and hated being away from her so much that he would tank his matches so that he could be on the next plane home. i guess there must be a sweet romantic side to him that only she knows about. but Cliffy also said that was an accouting student, so i wonder how frustrated she is that she has less money to count :p :eek:

Ohh!! He knows Coria?? I envy him a lot.
Here all my friends, my family and most of the people I know love tennis and all of them think Coria is the best Argentinian tennis player, and all of them are happy when he wins and sad when he lost, but they always support him anyway. There s a lot of people who loved Coria before RG 2004, and then started to hate him, but those are people who only cares about player who win everything....I like Coria´s game and Coria´s passion about tennis, and I love seeing him playing, winning or losing, I just like the player (of course, If he wins, he makes me happier ;) )
And he seems like such a nice guy, him and his family, and his lovely little brother.....

tennischick
06-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Ohh!! He knows Coria?? ..
it's more accurate to say that he has met him. i doubt Coria would recpgnize him walking down the street. :o

mishar
06-05-2005, 04:48 AM
what i understood mac to be saying was that Coria was devestated after losing the Rome final, which makes more sense.

I was at the Davydenko match and while çoria didn't seem happy, he seemed strangely accepting.

Rosa Luxembourg
06-05-2005, 05:04 AM

what's there to understand? Davydenko won the match, not Coria lost it. Just look at the stats.

undomiele
06-05-2005, 05:26 AM
Coria wasnt devastated. He knew in his mind he wasn't going to win RG this year and he candidly said so in his Davydenko post-match interview. Either JMac is a pompous idiot, or he was talking about Rome, which would have devastated any tennis player quite frankly.

the cat
06-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Coria sounds like quite a character TC. ;) And it's apparent people either love Coria :D or they don't like him at all. :(