So which Spanish speaking players will skip Wimbledon this year? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

So which Spanish speaking players will skip Wimbledon this year?

rhz
06-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I definately hope Puerta won't!

buddyholly
06-04-2005, 12:20 PM
Safin?

Rogiman
06-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Safin?

I was thinking the same :lol:

Exodus
06-04-2005, 12:21 PM
who cares none of them will have a chance at Wimbledon

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 12:22 PM
They all will.

~EMiLiTA~
06-04-2005, 12:31 PM
safin is playing halle so i assume he will show up at wimby. he can play well on grass and has been a quarterfinalist before so there's no reason why he can't do well there...oh wait, there is a reason...his head :rolleyes:

Gonzo Hates Me!
06-04-2005, 12:52 PM
lol, funny thread! Safin, hehe.

Horatio Caine
06-04-2005, 12:57 PM
Ferrer looks to have started the trend...and no doubt Gaston will. Maybe Moya too to rest his shoulder? :shrug:

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 12:59 PM
Ferrer looks to have started the trend...and no doubt Gaston will. Maybe Moya too to rest his shoulder? :shrug:

Massu probably won't play and as for other guys they won't be missed.

~EMiLiTA~
06-04-2005, 01:05 PM
yeah Ferrer is injured...otherwise he would have played

NicoFan
06-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Massu probably won't play and as for other guys they won't be missed.

Hey I'll miss them... :) They're my favorites. :angel:

And Nico is still considering playing. He's getting tests done on his ankle back in Chile, and if he gets the okay, he's going to train on grass for two weeks and go to Wimbledon. Not that he'll win, but at least he'll give it a try.

Personally - I think grass is irrelevant. I usually don't like Rios, but I'm with him on this one - grass is for cows! And with Safin too.

I think they should make Wimbledon a clay court event... ;) I think the orange would look nice with all that green there....

connectolove
06-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Safin speaks perfect Spanish, he trained in Valencia and Barcelona for most of his adolescence.

Nastase
06-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Safin speaks perfect Spanish, he trained in Valencia and Barcelona for most of his adolescence.
You're right, sometimes he complains in spanish while he's playing (not rare...) but most of the times he does it in russian in order not to be warned.

basil333
06-04-2005, 02:11 PM
What's wrong with Ferrer?

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 02:15 PM
Calleri probably won't play.

jtipson
06-04-2005, 02:38 PM

Moya already hinted as much in his press conference after he lost to Federer. Costa is already out, he had an op so will be sidelined for a few weeks.

Anyone think Nadal will pull out of Halle? It didn't sound like he might from what he said yesterday.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
What's wrong with Ferrer?

He has some kind of back problem that started to trouble him during his last match at RG.

Scotso
06-04-2005, 02:55 PM
I hope Galo plays.

Scotso
06-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Where has Ferrer said he isn't playing?

Action Jackson
06-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Ferrer has a back and leg problem and he has been playing a lot as well.

tangerine_dream
06-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Re: So which Spanish speaking players will skip Wimbledon this year?

LOL.

Alvarillo
06-04-2005, 03:35 PM
Moyá, he doesn´t like grass, he has problems in his sholuder, best option = rest !
Costa won't play until few weeks before the Us Open

Nadal said yesterday that he will travel to Halle to prepare the grass season, isn't strange, Coria did it last year!

bye

willie
06-04-2005, 05:35 PM
zabaleta wont play too.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 07:45 PM
zabaleta wont play too.

Are you sure Willie? That would be a shame. Last I heard, Zabaleta was playing in a Challenger in Lugano next week, and hoping to come to Wimbledon.

NicoFan
06-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Fernando Gonzalez will be there, and just read today, Nico Massu definitely will be there too.

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 07:56 PM
Fernando Gonzalez will be there, and just read today, Nico Massu definitely will be there too.

Great news that Nico feels able to compete there.

Chris Seahorse
06-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Puerta is supposed to be playing Queen's Club and will then be the No 1 seed in Nottingham. Looks like he wants to go into Wimbledon prepared. Would be cool if he could win a match a Wimbledon. Good luck getting an easy draw Mariano ;).

*Ljubica*
06-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Puerta is supposed to be playing Queen's Club and will then be the No 1 seed in Nottingham. Looks like he wants to go into Wimbledon prepared. Would be cool if he could win a match a Wimbledon. Good luck getting an easy draw Mariano ;).

Puerta is very likely to be the 4th man in the Argentine Davis Cup Team playing in Australia on grass - therefore he is trying to get as much grass court practice as possible. Good Luck to him :)

Chris Seahorse
06-04-2005, 09:47 PM
Puerta is very likely to be the 4th man in the Argentine Davis Cup Team playing in Australia on grass - therefore he is trying to get as much grass court practice as possible. Good Luck to him :)

To be honest and with all the respect in the world I can't really see Puerta being much use to the Argentineans in Australia. I would play Nalbandian and Canas both fine grasscourt players and then go with a good solid doubles team like Etlis and Rodriquez for the 3rd tie. Ofcourse the risk here is that if they get an injury to Nalbandian or Canas they are forced to play one of their doubles players but if one of those guys is injured they won't win anyway. Better to give themselves a good chances at winning the doubles and keeping their top 2 rested on the 2nd day.

NYCtennisfan
06-04-2005, 11:32 PM
Hey I'll miss them... They're my favorites.

And Nico is still considering playing. He's getting tests done on his ankle back in Chile, and if he gets the okay, he's going to train on grass for two weeks and go to Wimbledon. Not that he'll win, but at least he'll give it a try.

Personally - I think grass is irrelevant. I usually don't like Rios, but I'm with him on this one - grass is for cows! And with Safin too.

I think they should make Wimbledon a clay court event... I think the orange would look nice with all that green there....
______

Why would "the vampire" bother to play at all? He needs to keep getting healthy and come back for the hard court season.

NicoFan
06-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Why would "the vampire" bother to play at all? He needs to keep getting healthy and come back for the hard court season.

Not sure...and preparing on the grass in Buenos Aires for two weeks before Wimbledon isn't going to prepare him for Wimbledon. Seems like a waste of time. And then he really does the small tournaments on clay at Balstad, Amersfoot and Kitzbuhel, then hits the hardcourts. He always does really well at the small tournaments or I would tell him to skip them, and instead play at the hardcourt tournaments to prepare for Montreal, Cincy and the US Open.

Deboogle!.
06-05-2005, 02:51 AM
Massu is playing in Queens - people saw him there today. So, I'd imagine he'd play the rest of the grass season too.

Ferrero Forever
06-05-2005, 10:04 AM
I'm glad Massu is playing-I haven't watched one of his matches for ages. I can't wait for wimbledon.

zethand
06-05-2005, 05:01 PM
He has some kind of back problem that started to trouble him during his last match at RG.
poor David