Avatar size requirements [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

tangerine_dream
05-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I would like to request that the maximum avatar size allotment be changed.

Right now for avatars, the maximum size allowed is 140 by 140 pixels or 9.8 KB. This is too small for animated avatars.

The pixel size of 140 is ok but 9.8 KB (10000 bytes) for content is not enough, especially if we want to use animated avatars. I've noticed around the boards that many people want to start using animated avs. But the only ones people can use right now are so tiny they can barely be seen.

I'm not asking for 2MB worth of size to use, but I ithink 150 KB for images would be a good improvement. :)

Thanks for considering this.

Lalitha
05-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Hmm...., if not 150, 50 atleast.

jackieglover
05-28-2005, 06:34 PM
:yeah:

Éowyn
05-28-2005, 07:23 PM
Lj's limit is 100x100 and 40kb so if you're going to stick to 140x140 you really want a size limit of about 75kb

bad gambler
05-30-2005, 02:28 AM
nice idea

gravity
05-30-2005, 03:10 AM
This is impossible due to bandwidth costs.

NATAS81
05-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Please no larger animated gifs!!!!

NAUSEOUS enough as it is!!!!

I might have to have "Retired for Nauseum" under my screen name soon!

PennyThePenguin
05-31-2005, 02:40 PM
i do believe there's a "turn off avatars" option that you might want to consider using

Wednesday Addams
05-31-2005, 03:39 PM
Good idea. :yeah:

SuperFurryAnimal
06-01-2005, 01:43 PM
I seem to have problems with new avatars... The system keeps on telling me the images I want to upload are too large, when they surely aren't! What is that about? How can I get my pictures to fit, besides the resize/resample option?

Fumus
06-08-2005, 08:31 PM
Increase Avatar size!!

gravity
06-09-2005, 04:13 PM
If you want a large avatar that badly, I'm sure you wont mind paying a monthly fee to cover the additional costs? :lol:

LuCaS@ro
06-09-2005, 10:29 PM
:bigcry: If we need to free up bandwidth can we get rid of the WTA board(s)?
:haha: sure, I don't like Google either

RodLo
06-12-2005, 11:07 PM
:bigcry: If we need to free up bandwidth can we get rid of the WTA board(s)?

:rolls:

I'm all for it! :yeah: :tape:

idolwatcher1
10-11-2005, 07:31 AM
Gravity, I typically use image accounts elsewhere to upload my graphics to, is there a reason we aren't even allowed to use the bandwidth of our own image accounts which aren't even related to this site?? :confused: This is something I don't quite understand...Our avatars could technically have a large file size, but it would be eating the bandwidth of our image accounts, NOT this site!...

The problem lies in this forum's image uploading system, it automatically takes images that are already hosted on other sites and forces them to upload to this site, which eats up this site's bandwidth tremendously!!! If this uploading feature could be changed to fix this, I would think it would solve both sides of this issue... :bounce:

gravity
10-11-2005, 05:12 PM
Gravity, I typically use image accounts elsewhere to upload my graphics to, is there a reason we aren't even allowed to use the bandwidth of our own image accounts which aren't even related to this site?? :confused: This is something I don't quite understand...Our avatars could technically have a large file size, but it would be eating the bandwidth of our image accounts, NOT this site!...

Yes it's a user experience issue. If you host your avatars on a third-party server, we cannot control the quality of the delivery of the content. Also if the external server crashes, or goes down for a period, it can slowdown the delivery of pages and annoy everyone using MTF.

The problem lies in this forum's image uploading system, it automatically takes images that are already hosted on other sites and forces them to upload to this site, which eats up this site's bandwidth tremendously!!! If this uploading feature could be changed to fix this, I would think it would solve both sides of this issue... :bounce:

It eats up bandwidth but we have deployed special technology to help the control costs and serve avatar images quickly. You can use and store larger avatars (in terms of file size) if you buy a premium membership.

idolwatcher1
10-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Yes it's a user experience issue. If you host your avatars on a third-party server, we cannot control the quality of the delivery of the content.

Why do you need to control the delivery of the content? It was my understanding that the dimension size of avatars could be controlled even if the actual images were being hosted on a third-party server...This is done on other forums...

Also if the external server crashes, or goes down for a period, it can slowdown the delivery of pages and annoy everyone using MTF.

Did this happen before or something? I've never experienced that kind of thing at other forums who've allowed people to host avatars on third-party servers.