3 billion TV viewers for Roland Garros !!! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

3 billion TV viewers for Roland Garros !!!

Devotee
05-26-2005, 11:12 AM
no wonder the players are nervous -- playing for 3 billion people !

Scotso
05-26-2005, 11:13 AM
I find that hard to believe.

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
no wonder the players are nervous -- playing for 3 billion people !

Where is the proof?

Francine
05-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Isn't that half of the world's population? Must be all those Chinese ;)

Devotee
05-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Where is the proof?

It was on the RG website. Maybe some professional rating/polling organization gave them that information.

iliketennis
3 billion viewers, and not one of them is from Australia :mad: *hint hint

Yasmine
Well is that count is an estimate over the whole fortnight or the first few days? If someone watching it 3 days in a row is considered as 3 spectators, that's understandable that at the end of the tourney we might reach that number, but all at once, I don't believe it :p

connectolove
05-26-2005, 11:18 AM
Where did you get that info? That can't be true, and if it is Nadal is going to have to hide in the moon. There won't be a place where nobody will recognize him. The same with all the rest of the players!

Devotee
05-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Isn't that half of the world's population? Must be all those Chinese ;)

I know, that's what I thought about - half the world!

The Chinese are also taking big steps in the sport of tennis so maybe they do account for some of that 3 billion.

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 11:20 AM
Unless all of China was watching this then that could be close and I'd like to see how this was measured.

There are people in Australia who are watching on pay TV.

As much as I love RG I don't believe it.

Devotee
05-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Well is that count is an estimate over the whole fortnight or the first few days? If someone watching it 3 days in a row is considered as 3 spectators, that's understandable that at the end of the tourney we might reach that number, but all at once, I don't believe it :p

Those are some good points you make.

Yeah, 3 billion all at once, would make this a tennis-mad world, wouldn't it?

Ferrero Forever
05-26-2005, 11:22 AM
Well it is on foxtel here, but not on free to air, so I definetly ain't watching it :( I miss one of the best tournaments ever. I'm watching live scores, thats still exciting.

Devotee
05-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Where did you get that info? That can't be true, and if it is Nadal is going to have to hide in the moon. There won't be a place where nobody will recognize him.

hope Nadal doesn't read about this stat, otherwise he'll really freak out & lose

User ID 4783
05-26-2005, 11:25 AM
hard to imagine this number is correct

Devotee
05-26-2005, 11:26 AM

Why is Australia doing this to its tennis fans, especially since it's such a tennis-loving nation?

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Why is Australia doing this to its tennis fans, especially since it's such a tennis-loving nation?

Clay = English-speaking world suspicions that tennis should only be played on grass or anything but clay.

connectolove
05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
posted by Devotee "hope Nadal doesn't read about this stat, otherwise he'll really freak out & lose"

You are so right, I would quit in an instant. Imagine what kind of life, having to hide all the time... no laughing matter...

connectolove
05-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Devotee, I think Australia knows that it's population does love tennis and that they would pay to watch it. It is all about money.

Adman
05-26-2005, 11:35 AM
That is some stats no wonder the get nervous and especially the French Players who are performing in front of there home crowd.

iliketennis
05-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Clay = English-speaking world suspicions that tennis should only be played on grass or anything but clay.

That's not completely true. They only show the Australian Open, Wimbledon, the US Open and a few lead up tournaments on standard tv. That and some Davis cup (only Australian mathces)

It really annoys me :mad:

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
That's not completely true. They only show the Australian Open, Wimbledon, the US Open and a few lead up tournaments on standard tv. That and some Davis cup (only Australian mathces)

It really annoys me :mad:

I am talking not from a fan perspective in this case, though many do share those views when it comes to tennis on clay, but that's what the prevailing attitude is among the knobjockeys in the establishment.

buddyholly
05-26-2005, 11:49 AM
3 billion eh? Does that number include the gate or is it just TV?

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 11:53 AM
3 billion eh? Does that number include the gate or is it just TV?

Even if that was included it'd be very difficult to reach 3 billion unless all of India watched as well as China.

buddyholly
05-26-2005, 11:56 AM
Maybe they were confused with Milan v Liverpool

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 11:59 AM
Maybe they were confused with Milan v Liverpool

These figures are almost as comical as that game.

makro120
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Well, somehow the americans managed to press out a number of 800 milion worldwide watching the bowlfinal or what ever it is called, when everyone knows most people in the world don't even know it is happening or probably don't even know there is a sport called american football (not even the americans knows this is the real name for their sport). I always wanted to know how they get these kind of numbers..

buddyholly
05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I feel foolish even making a post.

But then again, could they have been confusing RG with the Festival de Chanson de Montreaux?

buddyholly
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
I always wanted to know how they get these kind of numbers..

Try a web search of ''Nielsen ratings''

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 12:04 PM
Yeah, I feel foolish even making a post.

But then again, could they have been confusing RG with the Festival de Chanson de Montreaux?

Not as foolish as some of the AC Milan defending.

buddyholly
05-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Not as foolish as some of the AC Milan defending.

Milan's blunder was in scoring two more goals. They are only expert at defending one-goal leads.

MisterQ
05-26-2005, 12:28 PM
McDonald's served 99 billion people, and then ran into a dilemma.

Roland Garros had better be careful, or they will run out of digits.

Yasmine
05-26-2005, 12:50 PM
McDonald's served 99 billion people, and then ran into a dilemma.

Roland Garros had better be careful, or they will run out of digits.
:lol: :haha:

Five
05-26-2005, 12:51 PM
glad to be one of them :)

Auscon
05-26-2005, 12:57 PM
3 billion? I didnt even think 3 billion ppl had tv's...

Action Jackson
05-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Then again Saddam Hussein had 98% popular support in Iraq, so these figures are believeable.

connectolove
05-26-2005, 12:59 PM
I guess that they estimate 15 people per TV set in China, India and some latin American countries...

just kidding, ok? no harm intended.

mmcdonald
05-26-2005, 09:07 PM
RG meant that it REACHES 3 billion people, not that 3 billion people watch.

I'd be suprised if 300 million people watched over the whole fortnight

Devotee
05-26-2005, 09:16 PM

How do you know that's what RG meant?

lucashg
05-26-2005, 09:20 PM

I'm surprised that no one had considered this in this thread yet. I think it's exactly what they meant. There's no way 3 billion people are expected to watch Roland Garros.

I also believe that 800 millions was also the how many people the Superbowl final reached. Seeing as how unpopular american football is outside the United States, it'd be even more surprising than 3 billion people seeing RG.

I guess the Summer Olympics Games are the most watched event on earth and they don't even get these figures, although they reach much more people than any of the tennis' Grand Slams.

lucashg
05-26-2005, 09:21 PM
I guess that they estimate 15 people per TV set in China, India and some latin American countries...

just kidding, ok? no harm intended.

I'm not surprised that you said such a thing, but still... :rolleyes:

Yasmine
05-26-2005, 09:23 PM
I guess the Summer Olympics Games are the most watched event on earth and they don't even get these figures, although they reach much more people than any of the tennis' Grand Slams.
Especially when in some countries who have tennis players, they don't bother showing any in non cable channels :rolleyes:

lucashg
05-26-2005, 09:51 PM
Especially when in some countries who have tennis players, they don't bother showing any in non cable channels :rolleyes:

Really? :eek:
I *think* they showed the women's final on Open TV, but I'm not sure because I watched on Sky.

Tian
05-26-2005, 09:55 PM
Chinese TV-owners get all major and medium sized sporting events from around the world for free on one of the 50 free-to-air channels + extra regional channels.

Haute
05-26-2005, 09:55 PM
If they're counting the same person more than once, maybe 30 or 300 million worldwide, but there's no way it's 3 billion. Somewhere around 60-70% of the world's population doesn't even own a tv, and 3 billion is about half the world's population.

It's probably only 10 people for the US who are up at 5 am to watch the coverage. And I'm one of them! :lol:

Yasmine
05-26-2005, 09:58 PM
Really? :eek:
I *think* they showed the women's final on Open TV, but I'm not sure because I watched on Sky.
Well I checked today and on the BBC (since I live in the UK now) they'll show 55 Minutes of highlights on saturday and as much on sunday :rolleyes: and hopefully the finals. However last year, luckily I still had ES, but on the BBC they didn't bother showing the finals on time and only caught up with the last 2 sets of the mens :smash:...

SanTaureau Fan
05-26-2005, 10:04 PM
Ridiculous number... I'm sure what they did is that for each match, they took the total of number of people who watched it totally or parts of it, and added each total to get 3 billion. Basically one tennis fan could count for like 25 to 50 people. Or even worst if they counted the total spectator for each hour and then added everything.

The majority of people who have a T.V. won't watch one second of the French Open... Let's not even talk about people who *don't* have a t.v.

SanTaureau Fan
05-26-2005, 10:07 PM

I'd be suprised if 300 million people watched over the whole fortnight

Can it really reach 3 billion people? I really doubt there are 3 billion people who can get French Open coverage.

MisterQ
05-26-2005, 10:10 PM
Maybe some of those viewers are not human. They could be couch potato cats, dogs, bugs...

Bilbo
05-26-2005, 10:13 PM
This number is the potantial number of viewers. means all people who have access to a TV which is broadcasting the French Open. It's not the absolute number of viewers.

Tian
05-26-2005, 10:13 PM
I think it's more like 3 billion people KNOW WHAT A TV IS :smash: :ras:

vogus
05-26-2005, 10:18 PM
the thread starter is a moron. Of course that number is totally false.

A generous estimate for the number of people watching the Wimbledon or French Open finals would be about 75-100 million.

SanTaureau Fan
05-26-2005, 10:23 PM
This number is the potantial number of viewers. means all people who have access to a TV which is broadcasting the French Open. It's not the absolute number of viewers.

I really doubt the potential number of viewers is really that high...

RogerRocks
05-26-2005, 10:46 PM
Maybe some of those viewers are not human. They could be couch potato cats...

http://www.thecatgallery.com/images/cattv.jpg

:cat: meouww

Bilbo
05-26-2005, 10:54 PM
I really doubt the potential number of viewers is really that high...

You think so? Well, I'm pretty sure 45% of the world's population has access to a TV and the French Open are broadcasted in every country in the world.

So the number of 3 billions is correct.

lucashg
05-26-2005, 11:00 PM
If a country is airing Roland Garros in free TV channels, then the entire population of this country will be counted as a potential viewer, even if they don't own a TV. I guess that's how it works. If it's on pay-TV, then I guess it's considered solely the percentage of the population who have these channels. I think they can reach 3 billion people with that, specially if that are open TV channels showing RG in China, India, most of Europe and South America and in the US.

If I'm not mistaken, Athens Olympics had about 4.2 billion potential viewers.

SanTaureau Fan
05-26-2005, 11:14 PM
You think so? Well, I'm pretty sure 45% of the world's population has access to a TV and the French Open are broadcasted in every country in the world.

So the number of 3 billions is correct.

Here in Canada, if you don't have cable, you won't see one match of the French Open... Well at least it's true for me, I don't know for the rest of Canada. Having access to a TV isn't always enough. And cable is quite expensive, a lot of people don't have it.

If we extrapolate, we could say 100% of the world population have access to the French Open. Any person can take the plane and go see someone who has access to the French Open but realistically, 3 billion looks like a number taken out of nowhere that doesn't make much sense or interest to me.

TennisLurker
05-26-2005, 11:20 PM
the number is wrong, it may be sum of the population of all the countries where the french open is being broadcasted.

I remember reading that 60 million people play tennis around the world.

MisterQ
05-27-2005, 12:06 AM
http://www.thecatgallery.com/images/cattv.jpg

:cat: meouww

:haha:

meow :hatoff: :cat:

Devotee
06-03-2005, 02:47 AM
Wow, if 3 billion viewers watch the Nadal/Federer semi, then the work productivity of the whole world will dramatically slump all at once! :eek:

oneandonlyhsn
06-03-2005, 03:06 AM
I have a feeling that a lot of tennis fans will either be calling in sick or watching live scores, or listening to RG radio for the semis. Therefore not a very productive day at work for most fans.

buddyholly
06-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Well, we survive World Cup final matches, so we can survive this.

deliveryman
06-03-2005, 04:18 AM
It must be over the course of 10 days, 3 billion.

which would mean 300 million a day... still that seems a bit iffy to me

novanora
06-03-2005, 04:24 AM
I know, that what I thought about - half the world!

The Chinese are also taking big steps in the sport of <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=tennis&v=56">tennis</a> so maybe they do account for some of that 3 billion.
The fact is many of us can only watch 1-2 live matches per day, unless you have the paid channel, and I don't think many ones have it. But we can watch online TV live matches——a popular choice, if online viewers also can be included into this 3 billion.