Here we go again ESPN... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Here we go again ESPN...

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 06:24 PM
They've just started showing us TAPED Sharapova from yesterday instead of anything that is going on live right now. Sure there are no superstars playing, but there IS live tennis being played by Gonzalez and Ferrer. They showed part of the Sharapova match yesterday anyway. Since they don't have Serena repeats to show, I guess this is the new alternative?

Dirk
05-25-2005, 06:26 PM
SHOW PATTY!!!!!!!!!! Bastards!!!!!!!

rofe
05-25-2005, 06:26 PM
They've just started showing us TAPED Sharapova from yesterday instead of anything that is going on live right now. Sure there are no superstars playing, but there IS live tennis being played by Gonzalez and Ferrer. They showed part of the Sharapova match yesterday anyway. Since they don't have Serena repeats to show, I guess this is the new alternative?

I got two words for you - sex sells. :(

Deboogle!.
05-25-2005, 06:27 PM
They had advertised her match yesterday after the matches on Center court had finished, but they weren't counting on Andre losing in 5 sets and the schedule taking longer.

I would bet anything that ESPN really would get more viewers of a taped match of Sharapova than Ferrer/Gonzo live. And that's what drives their decision-making unforutnately.

I think the coverage has been great so far. The way they've been bouncing around to all kinds of various matches and showing lots of non-Americans, and showing important parts in a lot of matches, etc. I think they're doing ok - I'll forgive them for the hour and a half of this stuff :p

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 06:30 PM
I think the coverage has been great so far. The way they've been bouncing around to all kinds of various matches and showing lots of non-Americans, and showing important parts in a lot of matches, etc. I think they're doing ok - I'll forgive them for the hour and a half of this stuff :p

True. Maybe I just feel like I've already seen more Sharapova than I would like considering how often I've seen her commercial, lol.

The coverage has been decent so far, but that's more because of a lack of Americans to show I think, rather than any change in ESPN's ideology.

Deboogle!.
05-25-2005, 06:33 PM
The coverage has been decent so far, but that's more because of a lack of Americans to show I think, rather than any change in ESPN's ideology.There weren't that many Americans last year either, and the coverage was awful. All kinds of stuff was taped, etc.

i mean today, they didn't show Lindsay as their first match - they only started showing her when she looked like she was gonna lose. Nadal seemed to be the more featured match. So I mean there's the World #1 who is an American who's on court, but they're showing a Spanish guy play a Belgian guy instead. I'm not sure that would've happened last year. They're doing a good job of putting attention on these more hyped up guys. I'm thrilled that we've gotten to see a lot of Gasquet too. So I think it's definitely better than last year.

I'm just saying I'll take 8 and a half hours of live tennis a day and deal with the little bit of taped at the end lol. This is now 2 slams in a row where the coverage is MUCH improved. I'd say that they ARE trying.

Fumus
05-25-2005, 06:34 PM
(a post from the Tennis fan that ESPN appeals to)

GOSH! I LOVE SHARAPOVA WHAT'S ALL THE NOISE ABOUT!!

Who wants to watch mens tennis anyways...theres no hot females playing so what's the point? Get me beer and pizza!!

the cat
05-25-2005, 06:35 PM
Debstah, please enlighten me when ESPN2 showed Sharapova's nearly monumental first round upset during their 5 hour window of coverage? I got home and fast forwarded through 5 hours of tape and saw nothing on her near loss other than a couple of highlights from Pam Shriver. Yeah great job by ESPN2. :rolleyes: They were on the air for 5 hours and showed terrible match after terrible match after terrible match and couldn't even spare 20 minutes in 5 hours of coverage to show part Sharapova's comeback win. Yeah good work by ESPN2. :yeah: :rolleyes:

mangoes
05-25-2005, 06:38 PM
I have been so happy with ESPN's coverage, then they reshow that twirps match from yesterday. I'm actually hoping that she loses soon so we won't be subjected to the constant replay of her matches.

And for ONCE, I'm actually begging Serena to kick her off her wimbleton throne.

buddyholly
05-25-2005, 06:39 PM
I am not about to bite the hand that feeds me. I can't remember life before ESPN.

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 06:41 PM
I am not about to bite the hand that feeds me. I can't remember life before ESPN.

I think I've been spoiled by The Tennis Channel. Otherwise, I don't think I would be annoyed at all by ESPN. :shrug:

Winston's Human
05-25-2005, 06:43 PM

If not Fernando Gonzalez or David Ferrer, how about the venerable duo of Martina and Aranxta?

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 06:44 PM
If not Fernando Gonzalez or David Ferrer, how about the venerable duo of Martina and Aranxta?

I'm not going to get greedy and start requesting doubles, lol. It would certainly be nice to see though.

the cat
05-25-2005, 06:46 PM
Saves, when did ESPN2 show Sharapova's first round match on tuesday? I have 5 hours of tape to prove otherwise.

Congrats to Maria on having the best tennis commercial in the world. :tennis: :D Her Canon commercial is so good. :)

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Saves, when did ESPN2 show Sharapova's first round match on tuesday? I have 5 hours of tape to prove otherwise.

Congrats to Maria on having the best tennis commercial in the world. :tennis: :D Her Canon commercial is so good. :)

They showed parts of it in the ESPN Classic coverage, when it was live. It had ended by the time ESPN2 started, I believe. I know I saw parts of it, and I left for work at 9:30.

mangoes
05-25-2005, 06:48 PM
I think I've been spoiled by The Tennis Channel. Otherwise, I don't think I would be annoyed at all by ESPN. :shrug:

I think The Tennis Channel has also spoiled me.

Oh and they did show the Sharapova match on ESPN Classic yesterday, so it is a repeat.

tangerine_dream
05-25-2005, 06:49 PM
Ten hours of live coverage every day for one of the least-popular slams in the US, plus a wrap-up in the evenings :banana: I've also noticed that, aside from the overplayed Genworth Agassi-Graf ad (bring back Jaden and Taylor!), the advertisments are more diverse this year (hurray! no more obnoxious Peptol-Bismol ads every three minutes) which means that sponsors are pumping more money into this thing.

I'm starting to think that the people who constantly complain about ESPN are just having a knee-jerk reaction instead of actually paying attention. I'm enjoying the matches and will e-mail ESPN every day to let them know how much better their coverage is this year and I hope that they continue. :)

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Ten hours of live coverage every day for one of the least-popular slams in the US,

I'm starting to think that the people who constantly complain about ESPN are just having a knee-jerk reaction instead of actually paying attention.

i'd trade fewer hours of this slam for a few additional hours of finals --Miami, Indian Wells, Monte Carlo, Hamburg. Plus, "live" coverage which might take the route of Sharapova replays, is so not cool.

and yes, every slam has had its Mascot ad. for weeks after the USO I was singing that song "what kind of love have you got" featuring arnaud clement (almost unrecognizable without his glasses)

the cat
05-25-2005, 06:55 PM
ESPN Classic? Who has that, like 10% of ESPN's viewer's? That's terrible. :mad: The ESPN scroll reported that Andy Roddick's and Maria Sharapova's matches would be the featured matches during ESPN2's coverage. But that wasn't the case where masha's match was concerned. As for ESPN Classic, it's bush league of ESPN to televise coverage there where alot of their viewers can't watch it. :shrug: Maybe they will start showing some coverage on ESPN News too. :rolleyes: They should show coverage at 5am on ESPN2 and then pick up live coverage at 10am on ESPN. Do we really need to see Sportcenter for the 6th time starting at 10am? I think not.

Devotee
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
I think the coverage has been great so far. The way they've been bouncing around to all kinds of various matches and showing lots of non-Americans.

Yeah, this is one of the reasons I love Roland Garros -- because I get to see many non-Americans play -- players who don't even exist in the minds of most U.S. tennis fans.

Lee
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
ESPN Classic? Who has that, like 10% of ESPN's viewer's? That's terrible. :mad: The ESPN scroll reported that Andy Roddick's and Maria Sharapova's matches would be the featured matches during ESPN2's coverage. But that wasn't the case where masha's match was concerned. As for ESPN Classic, it's bush league of ESPN to televise coverage there where alot of their viewers can't watch it. :shrug: Maybe they will start showing some coverage on ESPN News too. :rolleyes: They should show coverage at 5am on ESPN2 and then pick up live coverage at 10am on ESPN. Do we really need to see Sportcenter for the 6th time starting at 10am? I think not.

But you have to pay extra getting ESPN Classic on your cable. That's money talking. :p

Socket
05-25-2005, 07:22 PM
*cringes* Please, don't give them any ideas . . .

SanTaureau Fan
05-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Their coverage is just fine... They showed tons of live matches, often involving non-American players.

People will never be happy...

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 07:24 PM
But you have to pay extra getting ESPN Classic on your cable. That's money talking. :p

ESPN Classic is part of basic cable with my provider, so some people at least are getting it as part of the regular package.

Deboogle!.
05-25-2005, 07:24 PM
ESPN Classic? Who has that, like 10% of ESPN's viewer's? That's terrible. :mad: The ESPN scroll reported that Andy Roddick's and Maria Sharapova's matches would be the featured matches during ESPN2's coverage. But that wasn't the case where masha's match was concerned. As for ESPN Classic, it's bush league of ESPN to televise coverage there where alot of their viewers can't watch it. :shrug: Maybe they will start showing some coverage on ESPN News too. :rolleyes: They should show coverage at 5am on ESPN2 and then pick up live coverage at 10am on ESPN. Do we really need to see Sportcenter for the 6th time starting at 10am? I think not.I'd bet everything I own that ESPN was not counting on Andre getting hurt and losing in 5 sets to Jarkko Nieminen. So instead of showing Maria's match taped after Andy's (which was their original plan), they re-aired an hour of Andre's match, and they are showing Maria today. Considering how huge a story Agassi's loss was, it's hard to argue with this decision. I mean, they showed Andre's entire press conference instead of live tennis. It was a big deal.

I think more than 10% gets ESPN Classic. Yea, I had to order it for this, but at $5 extra a month, I'll only keep it for a month or two and get rid of it and I think it's worth the $5 lol. I just got TTC too, and yes it is spoiling, especially the fact that they come back from commercials on time (that's what frustrates me the most about ESPN - how they come back from commercial and it's already 15-0 or 0-30 or whatever), but I still can't complain about ESPN's coverage this year. The point is that it has IMPROVED GREATLY. I don't expect it to become perfect in one year, but they are showing a commitment to making the coverage better and a commitment to showing more of it live. I cannot complain about that.

El Legenda
05-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I'd bet everything I own that ESPN was not counting on Andre getting hurt and losing in 5 sets to Jarkko Nieminen. So instead of showing Maria's match taped after Andy's (which was their original plan), they re-aired an hour of Andre's match, and they are showing Maria today. Considering how huge a story Agassi's loss was, it's hard to argue with this decision. I mean, they showed Andre's entire press conference instead of live tennis. It was a big deal.

I think more than 10% gets ESPN Classic. Yea, I had to order it for this, but at $5 extra a month, I'll only keep it for a month or two and get rid of it and I think it's worth the $5 lol. I just got TTC too, and yes it is spoiling, especially the fact that they come back from commercials on time (that's what frustrates me the most about ESPN - how they come back from commercial and it's already 15-0 or 0-30 or whatever), but I still can't complain about ESPN's coverage this year. The point is that it has IMPROVED GREATLY. I don't expect it to become perfect in one year, but they are showing a commitment to making the coverage better and a commitment to showing more of it live. I cannot complain about that.

:confused: do you watch the same ESPN as everyone?

Lee
05-25-2005, 07:26 PM
ESPN Classic is part of basic cable with my provider, so some people at least are getting it as part of the regular package.

Lucky you, hope it will last.

ESPN Classic was in my regular variety tier earlier this year, my cable company splits a few sports channel out (like Fox Sports World and ESPN Classic) and set up a new tier so I don't have it any longer. Suddenly, there is live coverage of tennis on ESPN Classic. Go figure.

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 07:32 PM
I'm surprised they stopped coverage at 2:30 to show Liverpool v. AC Milan.. is there really interest in the Champions League final in the US?

Lee
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
I'm surprised they stopped coverage at 2:30 to show Liverpool v. AC Milan.. is there really interest in the Champions League final in the US?

Yes, you just remind me to get back to my TV. Thanks :)

And yes, I prefer this than watch Sharapova.

savesthedizzle
05-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Yes, you just remind me to get back to my TV. Thanks :)

And yes, I prefer this than watch Sharapova.

Anytime. I prefer it too, honestly.

SwissMister1
05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
The simple answer is that Cliffy and Tim Ryan get tired and cranky around 9 pm and need to be put to bed, and Mary, Pam and Brad go out to cruise the nightclubs. Thus, no one left to annouce Gonzo's match.

I guess I'd be a lot more angry if Directv didn't have ESPN Classic.

athina7
05-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I am enjoying ESPN's coverage this year. I get ESPN Classic too, so almost 10 hours of live tennis! Although I also hate that we keep missing the first points after each break because of commercials. I'm glad they are showing the champion's league final as well. Oh! Milan just scored a goal!

tennisace
05-25-2005, 07:49 PM
I think some of you have very short memories. Wasn't it just last year when they broadcast Serena's match three times in one day? And even after all the American men fell, and there was 12 days left of the tourney it was constant Serena, repeats of AA and Dick's losing, and tape delay after tape delay. Sheeesh - today they had three mens matches where neither of the participants were American. And there is no way they would have ever shown Gasquet last year, a non American whose had to play the qualies all spring to get into the draws. I could easily have seen them showing Venus and Lindsey on Classic this morning and then putting the repeats on Espn at 10. And then showing AA and Dick from yesterday again.

And I have TTC, too - but am still pleased. It could be much much worse.

ugotlobbed
05-25-2005, 08:36 PM
as long as they dont show venus.....

smucav
05-25-2005, 10:47 PM
ESPN Classic? Who has that, like 10% of ESPN's viewer's? More like 56-57% of ESPN's viewers: ESPN Classic is currently in 56 million homes; ESPN2 and ESPN are in 98 and 99 million homes.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=1723808&postcount=28

YoursTruly
05-25-2005, 10:51 PM
as long as they dont show venus.....

I know! They show those sisters on overkill. They'll make the entire tennis community have tons of unforced errors in their recreational games.