Roger takes out Almagro 6-3 7-6 6-2! [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Roger takes out Almagro 6-3 7-6 6-2!

SwissMister1
05-25-2005, 04:28 PM
ALLEZ! Roger hit 34 winners to 27 errors, whereas Nicolas hit 22 winners to 45 unforced. Also, it looks like Roger feasted on Almagro's second serves.

onewoman74
05-25-2005, 04:29 PM
Go Fed!!! Good win!!!

Fee
05-25-2005, 04:32 PM
I am so stunned, I'm speechless. What a suprising result.

auwkeung
05-25-2005, 04:33 PM
he won the second set tie-break 7-0

rofe
05-25-2005, 04:35 PM
He looked bored out there - he needs someone to take a set from him to wake him up. Almagro just gave up in the tie break (7-0) and the third set.

I think Fed will breeze through the third round (most likely against Gonzalez) but Moya and Nalby (his nemesis a couple of years ago) will be quite dangerous.

Rogiman
05-25-2005, 04:37 PM

You might have taken this for granted, but I was expecting a much tougher match and could definitely see Roger lose under certain circumstances.

If you're implying the thread wasn't needed then I have nothing to say except go somewhere else :confused:

Jimena
05-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Well, there were a few Fed fans who were thinking he was not going to survive this one. So it's a good win!

Rogiman
05-25-2005, 04:38 PM
I think Fed will breeze through the third round (most likely against Gonzalez) but Moya and Nalby (his nemesis a couple of years ago) will be quite dangerous.

I don't think Moya is a danger to any top player nowadays, but we'll see.

Gonzo actually concerns me more.

Fumus
05-25-2005, 04:39 PM
Rogi wins so shut the hell up.

lucashg
05-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I don't think I should take any of Federer's wins for granted in Roland Garros, so I'm pleased he won in straights and with a convincing scoreline (the bagel in the TB made it up for being broken while serving at *5-4). Then, he was in total control.

If there was any signs of cakewalk draw for Rogi (there wasn't), it certainly has ended. Whoever next is gonna be very dangerous. Gonzalez, Moya, Nalbandian, Gasquet, Nadal. TOP clay-court players everywhere to be seen (ok, you'll say Nalbandian and even Gonzalez aren't, but they're good on the dirt).

Good luck next round, Roger!

Rogiman
05-25-2005, 04:41 PM
Rogi wins so shut the hell up.

:lol:

Golfnduck
05-25-2005, 04:42 PM
Almagro played pretty well. He pushed Roger in the second set, but Roger is just too good for Almagro. Roger hit some amazing shots.

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Most of us predicted he'd come through, but I expected a tougher match
Almagro had only a couple breakpoints and was not as flashy off his forehand as some others said
I was more worried because Roger does not have the best record when facing someone for the first time

Angle Queen
05-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Almagro played pretty well. He pushed Roger in the second set, but Roger is just too good for Almagro. Roger hit some amazing shots.:yeah: I've never seen Almagro before but liked what I saw, especially in the second set. He's got a nice one-handed BH and hit some pretty darn good angles himself but Roger woke up quickly as the tiebreak approached. That backhand dropshot is just sick.

SwissMister1
05-25-2005, 04:54 PM
Almagro just seemed like the kind of guy that would give Roger trouble on clay, but luckily that didn't happen. Roger has shown he can handle Gonzo pretty well so far.

rofe
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
I don't think I should take any of Federer's wins for granted in Roland Garros, so I'm pleased he won in straights and with a convincing scoreline (the bagel in the TB made it up for being broken while serving at *5-4). Then, he was in total control.

If there was any signs of cakewalk draw for Rogi (there wasn't), it certainly has ended. Whoever next is gonna be very dangerous. Gonzalez, Moya, Nalbandian, Gasquet, Nadal. TOP clay-court players everywhere to be seen (ok, you'll say Nalbandian and even Gonzalez aren't, but they're good on the dirt).

Good luck next round, Roger!

Small nit, Federer will probably play Gasquet or Nadal, not both. I do see him beating Gonzo easily though. I hope Gonzo takes a set so that Roger is better prepared for what lies ahead.

PaulieM
05-25-2005, 05:01 PM
very nice win from roger, he looked good out there :)

mangoes
05-25-2005, 05:55 PM
nice match. congrats roger.

NYCtennisfan
05-25-2005, 07:19 PM
That backhand dropshot is just sick.

It is very effective since it looks just like he is going to slice the ball as usual but really carvesinto it and hits the dropper. If he could ever learn to do a decent FH dropper then that would be something.

I really liked what I saw out of Almagro. Some big serves, a nice one-handed BH. Give him some time and he will make a dent on the ATP tour.

tennischick
05-25-2005, 07:31 PM
:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

i'm thrilled of course. but i guess bec he spanked Safin, some of us expected Almagro to do better :shrug:

Dirk
05-25-2005, 07:33 PM
TC. I hope you taped it. Roger was awesome but he loves lunglen so I am not surprised too much. If he beats Gonzo handily on Chariter then that will be really something to rave about. I didn't see too much of it because ESPN kept going to Nadal and Lindsay match but Roger looked awesome. Losing serve when serving it out helped his stats enormously.

connectolove
05-25-2005, 07:38 PM
Fed is too predictable... no show, no entertainment!

tennischick
05-25-2005, 07:38 PM
TC. I hope you taped it. Roger was awesome but he loves lunglen so I am not surprised too much. If he beats Gonzo handily on Chariter then that will be really something to rave about. I didn't see too much of it because ESPN kept going to Nadal and Lindsay match but Roger looked awesome. Losing serve when serving it out helped his stats enormously.
i no longer have a VCR. i saw up to 5-5 in the second set and then had to leave home. Almagro was already playing kind of desperate, going for all his shots, misunderstanding that the French only scream bec they want more tennis, not bec they want your opponent to lose. so i was confident that Rogi was gonna pull it out. ;)

Skyward
05-25-2005, 07:43 PM

switch the channel or go to the circus.

Dirk
05-25-2005, 07:46 PM
:lol: Connect will you say the same thing when Nadal is dominating all the big clay events? Will that be predictable and boring?

Dirk
05-25-2005, 07:47 PM
i no longer have a VCR. i saw up to 5-5 in the second set and then had to leave home. Almagro was already playing kind of desperate, going for all his shots, misunderstanding that the French only scream bec they want more tennis, not bec they want your opponent to lose. so i was confident that Rogi was gonna pull it out. ;)

The breaker was dream and the 3rd set too. :wavey:

Sjengster
05-25-2005, 07:48 PM
No need to worry about lack of entertainment in a Federer-Gonzalez match, that's for sure.

Deivid23
05-25-2005, 07:49 PM
Almagro was already playing kind of desperate, going for all his shots, misunderstanding that the French only scream bec they want more tennis, not bec they want your opponent to lose.

Almagro always plays that way

PaulieM
05-25-2005, 07:50 PM
i'm entertained :shrug:

tennischick
05-25-2005, 08:20 PM
Almagro always plays that way
i don't know that we can say "always" about anyone so new to the tour, but he was not playing as desperately during the first set. in fact he became even more so, the more the crowd carried on. he needs to learn to remain focused within himself and not let himself be manipulated into playing wild foolishness ;)

Deivid23
05-25-2005, 08:27 PM
i don't know that we can say "always" about anyone so new to the tour, but he was not playing as desperately during the first set. in fact he became even more so, the more the crowd carried on. he needs to learn to remain focused within himself and not let himself be manipulated into playing wild foolishness ;)

Almagro has been around for a while and I know him since several years ago so itīs fair to say Almagro goes for his shots "desperately" most of the times. Without having watched the match I can imagine him feeling like the best player in history and trying to hit the lines in every shot. But thatīs far from being something new.

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 08:29 PM
Almagro has been around for a while and I know him since several years ago so itīs fair to say Almagro goes for his shots "desperately" most of the times. Without having watched the match I can imagine him feeling like the best player in history and trying to hit the lines in every shot. But thatīs far from being something new.

hi deivid, nice to meet you again.... ;)

I watched the match. the first thing that struck me about this guy is that he was completely unfazed by playing Roger. His body language was very confident. some people said that he is great off both sides but esp. forehand. today it was not the case --except on a few forehands. the only time I felt he was really desperately going for the lines was the TB. and it misfired very badly

tennischick
05-25-2005, 08:30 PM
having actually watched the match until 5-5 in the second, i happen to be in a position to comment on what i observed to be a change in his approach to playing the game between sets 1 and 2. i already pointed out what i observed. perhaps you can wait until you actually see the match before deciding if you agree or disagree with me? :shrug: just a thought.

Deivid23
05-25-2005, 08:33 PM
having actually watched the match until 5-5 in the second, i happen to be in a position to comment on what i observed to be a change in his approach to playing the game between sets 1 and 2. i already pointed out what i observed. perhaps you can wait until you actually see the match before deciding if you agree or disagree with me? :shrug: just a thought.

Having watched some dozens of matches involving Almagro and knowing, letīs say a bit, his personality, wouldnīt I be able to make a more "average" approach at his behaviour on court?

tennischick
05-25-2005, 08:38 PM
Having watched some dozens of matches involving Almagro and knowing, letīs say a bit, his personality, wouldnīt I be able to make a more "average" approach at his behaviour on court?
i was only discussing his performance in this particular match against Roger. if you wanna discuss his "average" performance, go right ahead. :wavey:

Deivid23
05-25-2005, 08:39 PM
hi deivid, nice to meet you again.... ;)

I watched the match. the first thing that struck me about this guy is that he was completely unfazed by playing Roger. His body language was very confident.

hi, Mitalidas. ;)

Iīm not surprised, heīs talented but way cocky and too much self-confident in his abilities. He will have to grow up and think a bit on court to be a great player.

some people said that he is great off both sides but esp. forehand. today it was not the case --except on a few forehands. the only time I felt he was really desperately going for the lines was the TB. and it misfired very badly

Heīs more confident with his forehand, he commits less errors with it, and he hits it hard, also his backhand is a good and powerful shot. But that fhīs not such a killer shot either he has the same power on it like Gonzo or his countryman Verdasco, for instance.

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 08:39 PM

his approach today seemed particularly desperate in the TB. before that, it didnt seem risky at all --he was not going for the lines or anything

in the TB almost every shot he tried to go very deep and missed the lines. it was a bad ploy at a very important point of the match

Sjengster
05-25-2005, 08:40 PM
As someone who has neither seen many of Almagro's matches nor saw the match today, can I suggest a compromise solution? Isn't it possible to argue that Almagro did change his game from 5-5 in the second, but that that change was itself a reversion back to his normal style of play, which he perhaps hadn't been using to its full extent up to that stage? I would hate to see disputes break out over something so trivial... but this is MTF we're talking about. ;)

tennischick
05-25-2005, 08:42 PM
his approach today seemed particularly desperate in the TB. before that, it didnt seem risky at all --he was not going for the lines or anything

in the TB almost every shot he tried to go very deep and missed the lines. it was a bad ploy at a very important point of the match
it probably became WORSE during the TB but i noticed a change after he lost the first set. he became much more desperate from the start of the second set.

but your point also contradicts Deivid's who seems to be saying that he ALWAYS plays desperately from start to finish. on the "average" that may be the case (i have no idea) but it's not what i saw today.

tennischick
05-25-2005, 08:44 PM
As someone who has neither seen many of Almagro's matches nor saw the match today, can I suggest a compromise solution? Isn't it possible to argue that Almagro did change his game from 5-5 in the second, but that that change was itself a reversion back to his normal style of play, which he perhaps hadn't been using to its full extent up to that stage? I would hate to see disputes break out over something so trivial... but this is MTF we're talking about. ;)
it takes 2 to develop a dispute and i already gave Deivid the :wavey: which in TC-speak means that the "discussion" is over for me. :wavey:

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 08:45 PM
it probably became WORSE during the TB but i noticed a change after he lost the first set. he became much more desperate from the start of the second set.

but your point also contradicts Deivid's who seems to be saying that he ALWAYS plays desperately from start to finish. on the "average" that may be the case (i have no idea) but it's not what i saw today.

yep, I am more in line with your perception of what happened
Actually to be honest, I tuned out during the middle part of the second set when Roger went up a break thinking he'd serve it out, and then ran back to the TV when I saw that Roger had been broken and they were now in a TB.

almagro's play was definitely highrisk in the TB relative to set 1 and the part of set 2 that I saw, it was a poor strategy and showed his inexperience

Deivid23
05-25-2005, 08:51 PM

I donīt know which gameplan he has been advised to follow today (his coach is far from being a brilliant one, so I didnīt have too much expectations, honestly), I think Iīll be able to get some taped broadcasting tonight and then Iīll be able to talk about this specific match, but Almagro plays always going for his shots, always was and I think he always will. And what TC said about he went desperately for his shots when crowd cheered for him fits well with his character. Iīd swear he was visualizing himself blowing off the court Federer with 100 winners and being claimed as the next big thing.

nermo
05-25-2005, 09:17 PM
Well, from what i saw today..Almagro is a good player..he had some smart touches..he wasnot that paniced From playing against Federer..that showed in some of his winners specially the second set..has an admirable backhand ..but he definetly didnot have a clear strategy against Federer in his mind..the guy was just taking his chances..and that wasnot enough to beat the king

NYCtennisfan
05-25-2005, 11:22 PM
It didn't matter what gameplan Almagro had in this one--Federer was going win if he played like he has played for the past 2 years. But I like Almagro's game. Give him a year or two as I said before and he will make his presence felt on the ATP Tour. He's too talented not to.

alexito
05-25-2005, 11:42 PM
buuuuuuuuuuu federer tie briek with player ranking more very more less.

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 11:46 PM
buuuuuuuuuuu federer tie briek with player ranking more very more less.
missed you all day alexto36!
welcome back

rub
05-26-2005, 02:42 AM
let's go roger! :dance:

Art&Soul
05-26-2005, 02:53 AM
ROGI WELL DONE Keep it up :D ;)

mandoura
05-26-2005, 07:46 AM
2 down, 5 to go. Just do it Rogi.