I personally invite the Roland Garros crowd to... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

I personally invite the Roland Garros crowd to...

tangerine_dream
05-25-2005, 04:32 PM
Actually show up for some of these matches.

The stands have been deserted, save for Agassi's match yesterday. What's going to happen when Agassi retires? Who will the tennis fans watch then?

I hope the stands are packed soon, it just doesn't look good with all those empty seats.

I mean, how many people showed up the Safin match the other day? Three? Geez.

hablovah19
05-25-2005, 04:45 PM
I think it's because some people prefer to watch the players on the outside courts: more intimate, you see the players better, also better atmosphere (there is way more cheering on them, more relaxed)! I was there yesterday and the smaller courts had line-ups, as people like Ferrero, for instance, were playing on them ;)

gravity
05-25-2005, 05:31 PM
I know when I attend the slams i prefer the outside courts. I was almost sitting next to Gisela Dulko at the Aussie Open during a mixed doubles match. :inlove:

ktwtennis
05-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Actually, they've had record crowds!

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2005-05-25/200505251117038489158.html

allanah
05-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Actually, they've had record crowds!

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2005-05-25/200505251117038489158.html

Then the attendance bar must have been set very low. Tangy's right - it doesn't do much to inspire more people to get involved in tennis if it looks like (and it may only be the perception) people can't be arsed to show up.

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 06:32 PM
there's a simple way to get more people in: lower those ticket prices

TennisLurker
05-25-2005, 06:40 PM
the stands were packed during the gasquet match I think

joeb_uk
05-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Actually show up for some of these matches.

The stands have been deserted, save for Agassi's match yesterday. What's going to happen when Agassi retires? Who will the tennis fans watch then?

I hope the stands are packed soon, it just doesn't look good with all those empty seats.

I mean, how many people showed up the Safin match the other day? Three? Geez.
What do you expect tangerine, the matches scheduled for chatrier have been crap to say the least. The schedule for lenglen has also been dreadeful (court 1 is ok but nothing special). So everyone is probably using their brain and going to the non televised courts where the good matches are.

jazz_girl
05-25-2005, 06:57 PM
What do you expect tangerine, the matches scheduled for chatrier have been crap to say the least. The schedule for lenglen has also been dreadeful (court 1 is ok but nothing special). So everyone is probably using their brain and going to the non televised courts where the good matches are.
Yeah, that's true! I still don't understand why Federer and Gaudio were not scheduled to play in the main court today!

joeb_uk
05-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Yeah, that's true! I still don't understand why Federer and Gaudio were not scheduled to play in the main court today!
Gaudio was shafted on court two the other day lmao, disgusting! Ferrero was on court 7 or something stupid too :eek:

connectolove
05-25-2005, 07:03 PM
I think that this is a little bit like onde de Godo, Barcelona, a social event more than anything else. People go there to see and be seen.

SanTaureau Fan
05-25-2005, 07:04 PM

Federer was playing in a main court, and if Gaudio would have been playing on Chatrier, the stadium would have been even more empty than it was.

Stands are often deserted the first days, it's ALWAYS the same. It's not really a "problem", it's just the way it is. There is tennis from 11 a.m. to 9 pm, so we can't expect people to sit there all the time + the majority of people prefer to walk around all day and stay on smaller courts.

It has nothing to do with lowering ticket price... It's always sold out.

Wimbledon is about the only tournament you can expect the stadium to be full the first days.

Geniey2g
05-25-2005, 10:42 PM
Stands were packed during Gasquest's, Rafa's and Roger's matches. Gotta say, the atmosphere was amazing during the Rafa/Malisse match

blosson
05-26-2005, 12:07 AM
they will come in masses to Rafa vs Gasquet match. that's for sure.

NYCtennisfan
05-26-2005, 12:29 AM
Wimbledon is about the only tournament you can expect the stadium to be full the first days.

Arthur Ashe is almost always full for the night matches and pretty full for the day matches on days 1-3. Again, depends on who's playing but overall, I have seen attendence go way up for the USO.

basil333
05-26-2005, 12:38 AM
I was at Roland Garros Monday and Tuesday

It was heaving - the crowds were huge. The outside courts were all packed to capacity. The atmosphere was fantastic. You had to watch the match before the match you really wanted to make sure you got a seat. I

SanTaureau Fan
05-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Arthur Ashe is almost always full for the night matches and pretty full for the day matches on days 1-3. Again, depends on who's playing but overall, I have seen attendence go way up for the USO.

Ashe is full at night because it's about the only court with a match... I didn't mention because... duh.

Except for Agassi and some other matches... Ashe is pretty much empty the first days.

bad gambler
05-26-2005, 03:02 AM
well it is played on clay so who can blame them? :p

Choupi
05-26-2005, 04:58 PM
I was there yesterday. I must admit that, even if I had a pass to go to the Chatrier court, I've spent more time outside, on the smaller courts. And I've certainly had more fun. Unless organizers don't get who the crowd really wanna see playing, the situation of the empty seats will remain unchanged. Though some players yesterday really teased many ppl. The smaller courts were all crowded, all day long. So I don't think we can talk about some public desertion. It's more a matter of public taste than of quantity of visitors.

tangerine_dream
05-26-2005, 05:16 PM
Breaking attendance records, ok :cool: I just wish the organizers would get all those people into the stands. Or better yet, if everybody's sitting in the nosebleed section then they should move them all down to the front behind the players so that it at least *looks* busy and full. Image is everything on TV. :p

I'm sure the stands will be packed when Nadal takes on Gasquet tomorrow. :)

budz
05-26-2005, 05:46 PM
The Aus Open this year had record crowds too which was really good to see. Id love to go next year!

gsm
05-26-2005, 05:54 PM
The Aus Open this year had record crowds too which was really good to see. Id love to go next year!

the AO gets the biggest crowds of all the GS's. :)

ktwtennis
05-26-2005, 06:07 PM
the AO gets the biggest crowds of all the GS's. :)Sorry, the US Open gets as good or better crowds...But I still love the Aus ;)