Grand Slam Tournaments Played (Agassi Ties Record) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Grand Slam Tournaments Played (Agassi Ties Record)

MisterQ
05-24-2005, 11:55 PM
It's small consolation for his loss and his injury... but Agassi just tied Connors for the most Grand Slam Tournaments played. Some articles and an interviewer stated that Agassi had broken the record, but it appears that he has just tied it. I assume he will break it by playing Wimbledon and/or the U.S. Open though.

Andre Agassi
Jimmy Connors

Michael Chang
Ivan Lendl
Wayne Ferreira

Mark Woodforde

Stefan Edberg

John Alexander

Pete Sampras

Marc Rosset

cobalt60
05-25-2005, 12:00 AM
So sorry Agassi lost Q. I know how much you wanted him to win. I hope this isn't his last year of playing too. He is such a great player and has grown so much over the years. Hope his hip lasts a bit longer. I don't think he wants to retire from the game this way. :-(

MisterQ
05-25-2005, 01:08 AM
thanks, Cobalt. :hug: I posted this not just because of Andre, though, but also because the list of other players with great longetivity was interesting. I should mention that it is Open Era only... I don't know how earlier players compare.

Neely
05-25-2005, 01:16 AM
I also read that he broke this record, but nevertheless it is very impressive :) ... even more if you keep in mind that Agassi didn't go to the Australian Open in his early career!

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 01:19 AM
certainly a milestone.... awesome record

he could be overtaken by the likes of hewitt (who has already played I think 29 or 30)
another 7 years, hewitt will be around 30 years old --might still be playing. if he doesnt miss a slam until then he would catch up

MisterQ
05-25-2005, 01:20 AM
I also read that he broke this record, but nevertheless it is very impressive :) ... even more if you keep in mind that Agassi didn't go to the Australian Open in his early career!

That's a good point, Neely. From 1986-94 Andre didn't play the AO at all.

Of course, this also makes Connors' numbers remarkable, since he only played it twice! (1974-75) ;)

Neely
05-25-2005, 01:25 AM
Of course, this also makes Connors' numbers remarkable, since he only played it twice! (1974-75) ;)
and Connors this bastard almost won it twice in only two showings LOL
(but Connors kept on playing until 42? something like that)