Odds for French open... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Odds for French open...

willie
05-24-2005, 07:59 PM
In a very famous british web page there are bets for the winner of the french open, this are the top-10 favourites in order:
1-Roger Federer
2-Rafael Nadal
3-Guillermo Coria
4-Carlos Moya
5-Richard Gasquet
6-Gaston Gaudio
7-Juan Carlos Ferrero
8-Marat Safin
9-Guillermo Cañas
10-David Nalbandian.

do you agree with this order of favourites???
i dont :rolleyes:

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 08:07 PM
In a very famous british web page there are bets for the winner of the french open, this are the top-10 favourites in order:
1-Roger Federer
2-Rafael Nadal
3-Guillermo Coria
4-Carlos Moya
5-Richard Gasquet
6-Gaston Gaudio
7-Juan Carlos Ferrero
8-Marat Safin
9-Guillermo Cañas
10-David Nalbandian.

do you agree with this order of favourites???
i dont :rolleyes:

Any combination of the top 3 would be good bets in my opinion
(also, you might want to mention that the odds on Federer are only marginally better than those on the next 2)

roisin
05-24-2005, 08:14 PM
i wouldn't put gasquet as high up as that.

Neely
05-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Popularity, fan appreciation and hype influence the general public who are betting on players, therefore odds makers take this into consideration because everybody who draws the attention of a lot of people backing them is dangerous for the bookmakers and hence they offer lower odds on them.

Worse it is even if you don't look only at the ORDER of favourites, but at the actual prices. Gaudio as a defending champ is ridiculously priced.

Bonaventure
05-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Come to the gamblers forum mate :yeah:

While Im here Id say Rafa should be ahead of Roger on the list. And Gaudio should be in the number 4 spot.

*julie*
05-24-2005, 08:22 PM
i wouldn't put gasquet as high up as that.
And I am sure Richard wouldn't put himself as high too!

robinhood
05-25-2005, 12:06 AM
Moya #4??
At some other betting site I saw, he was priced even lower than Andy Roddick.
How did he make it into this list??

bad gambler
05-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Come to the gamblers forum mate :yeah:

While Im here Id say Rafa should be ahead of Roger on the list. And Gaudio should be in the number 4 spot.

Federer has always got to be the favourite in any tournamnet and surface he plays on whether it be grass, HC, dirt or ice

mitalidas
05-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Federer has always got to be the favourite in any tournamnet and surface he plays on whether it be grass, HC, dirt or ice

what can this man not do?!!!! :)

robinhood
05-25-2005, 01:45 AM

That's what Tim Henman said, too, recently regarding the favorites for FO.

WyveN
05-25-2005, 02:34 AM
I dont think any betting site will be listing Moya after the main 3.

Haute
05-25-2005, 03:40 AM
I don't think Moya should be that high either, considering he's had problems with injury off and on already this year.

willie
05-25-2005, 04:30 AM
the page is:
www.sportingodds.com

SuperFurryAnimal
05-25-2005, 08:03 AM
No way Moya or Gasquet will win the tournament! I see better chances for someone like Gaudio, Cañas or Ferrero. And my top three would be different...

1) Nadal
2) Coria
3) Federer
4) Gaudio
5) Cañas
6) Ferrero
7) Nalbandian
8) Safin

connectolove
05-25-2005, 09:24 AM
The Brits must be the only ones not putting Rafael Nadal the first on the list, but that's pretty much it.

ys
05-25-2005, 12:49 PM
I would push Ferrero and Safin 3 spots up each and switch Coria and Nadal. Other than that I am fine with this.

lucashg
05-25-2005, 12:56 PM
I think the odds are. Although I wish Federer was #1, Nadal and Coria have certainly had the better clay season up until now. But Nadal has a tricky draw with Gasquet, Gaudio and Federer ahead of him before the finals and Coria proved he can compete toe-to-toe with Nadal, so it's not gonna be that easy for him.

1. Nadal
2. Coria
3. Federer
4. Gaudio
5. Ferrero
6. Safin
7. Gasquet
8. Nalbandian
9. Cañas
10. Ferrer

ys
05-25-2005, 01:05 PM
I think the odds are. Although I wish Federer was #1, Nadal and Coria have certainly had the better clay season up until now.

Best of 5 is a very different kind of game - that's why success in clay tuneups quite often does not translate into RG success. Pure physical strength comes into mix much more while best of three is more about just clay tennis skills.. That's why physically strong guys like Federer, Safin and Ferrero will have a better chance in the long run. Nadal's and Coria's bodies are not suited well for day in/day out best of five matches.

In last 10 RG finals? The player who is physically stronger prevailed.

lucashg
05-25-2005, 01:08 PM
Best of 5 is a very different kind of game - that's why success in clay tuneups quite often does not translate into RG success. Pure physical strength comes into mix much more while best of three is more about just clay tennis skills.. That's why physically strong guys like Federer, Safin and Ferrero will have a better chance in the long run. Nadal's and Coria's bodies are not suited well for day in/day out best of five matches.

In last 10 RG finals? The player who is physically stronger prevailed.

I agree about Ferrero, but Coria's fragile body has put him in the final last year and Federer and Safin haven't done that despite their obvious stronger physiques.

I think Coria's body is pretty resistent if you ask me. Nadal's been improving what certainly let him down in the Australian Open and in Miami. I still think that Nadal will suffer if he gets pushed to a 5-setter early on, but that's not likely to happen at least 'til 3rd round.

ys
05-25-2005, 01:16 PM
I agree about Ferrero, but Coria's fragile body has put him in the final last year and Federer and Safin haven't done that despite their obvious stronger physiques.

Federer and Safin have their own daemons. But once they are in the second week, I would expect them to be favourites in every match they play. Unless Federer goes out before because of thinking too much about Wimbledon, and Safin - because of unexplicable blisters ( if it is not from playing too many five-setters, it must be excessive masturbation then :lol: )

Coria's fragile body is what let him down last year. He had very easy road to finals last year. This year Youzhnyi, Davydenko/Haas, Safin/Ferrero will make him work hard early on.. though they might just pave the road to the finals for Roddick by that.. :lol: