Agassi to retire..? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Agassi to retire..?

acdbx
05-24-2005, 07:25 PM
he can't really hold up for more than 2 hours anymore.. and he can't really get very far in tournaments that he'd like to get far in...
quarters and semis are not success by his standards..
i doubt he'll win any tourneys thsi upcoming summer... => retirement after, or retirement now?

alfonsojose
05-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Surely this is his last year. I'll miss Conchita and him really badly :sad: Tennis will not be the same for me

Fee
05-24-2005, 07:34 PM
I'd say US Open, finish at 'home' so to speak. Don't think Andre is the type to announce it up front, he'll probably just play and then say it after his last match. Who knows, but he's earned the right to do it which ever way he wants. If he wants to do a farewell tour next year and lose in the first round of every tournament then so be it. I'd bet a lot of Tournament Directors would take that deal.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 07:37 PM
I dont want to see him leave losing Round ones

However, I think he should make a plan to retire "on top", i.e., upon winning or if not then, losing deep into a biggish tournament --slams, masters, or the next level

Fumus
05-24-2005, 07:40 PM
Agassi has life left yet, people have been talking about this for years. Let me remind you that he did win a slam in 03', he did make the masters final in 03', he did make the semis of aussie in 04, and semis of uso in 04, he did win a master tourny in cinncy last summer and oh yea this year he made the qf of the aussie and he did pretty well at IW and Miami too, so relax.

acdbx
05-24-2005, 07:42 PM
Agassi has life left yet, people have been talking about this for years. Let me remind you that he did win a slam in 03', he did make the masters final in 03', he did make the semis of aussie in 04, and semis of uso in 04, he did win a master tourny in cinncy last summer and oh yea this year he made the qf of the aussie and he did pretty well at IW and Miami too, so relax.

I don't see him stringing together 5 matches and winning anything decent to "go out on top" from.. maybe he should bow out after USO..

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 07:44 PM

He did not have the nerve injury or need for cortisone in 2003 and 2004
so talking about those results under the current scenario is less relevant

There is no doubt he's got life and he's got game. But his lack of a title in a while, combined with this injury, and undoubtedly his advancing age, suggests he will be considering when/how to leave

Fumus
05-24-2005, 07:46 PM
Dude he just won a major title last summer, he beat Hewitt in the final and Roddick in the semis, where can I get some of that crack you are smokin'?

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 07:48 PM
Dude he just won a major title last summer, he beat Hewitt in the final and Roddick in the semis, where can I get some of that crack you are smokin'?

Dude, he didn't have a dependence on cortisone and hobble around then.

The crack is available in NYC, low cost, high effects --but it appears you manage to get the effect without getting on it

Fumus
05-24-2005, 07:50 PM
Dude, he didn't have a dependence on cortisone and hobble around then.

The crack is available in NYC, low cost, high effects --but it appears you manage to get the effect without getting on it

um actually, he did have hip problems then his hip problems started around Scottsdale last year. Thank for the tip on the crack, I was running low :)

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 07:52 PM
um actually, he did have hip problems then his hip problems started around Scottsdale last year. Thank for the tip on the crack, I was running low :)

Erm.. yes, that's exactly the problem. He thought it was a hip problem and got treatment for a hip problem

He revealed today that it is not a hip problem after all --its a nerve problem, and he had to start treating it with injections to that nerve, not the hip.

I guess I expect an announcement sometime this year.... :wavey:

Fumus
05-24-2005, 07:53 PM
yea, so what?! He still won that title, beat those top players and had those results even with it...soo...hush.

Domino
05-24-2005, 07:56 PM
Fumus, did you watch today's match? Agassi even said he'll be living on these injections as long as he plays. That's no way to continue on; long-term cortizone usage leads to fat build-up in the body. Health-wise, this can't continue. Either he stops and keeps his fitness, or continues and loses his fitness, and gets embarassed as a result.

He was noble today, but it's time he realize that his body is not willing anymore.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 07:57 PM
yea, so what?! He still won that title, beat those top players and had those results even with it...soo...hush.

Irrelevant
Using past results to make a statement about the current situation is pure irrelevance. Or perhaps I should remind myself ---Oh, he also won a slam in 1999. That means he can't retire now. Or ever! Enter the wheelchair tournaments at some point :)

When you finish drug rehab, you are permitted to reenter this debate :)

babsi
05-24-2005, 07:59 PM
I dont want to see him leave losing Round ones

However, I think he should make a plan to retire "on top", i.e., upon winning or if not then, losing deep into a biggish tournament --slams, masters, or the next level

Yes,that´s certainly the way to do it - next win,god bye folks

If he wants to go out at USO,which would make total sence,he should make it a slow summer - just enough tournaments to keep him up to speed - it would be horrible to see him lose at the USO in an early round.

I was never a big fan of his,but he gained my respect with his will and staying power - and for all his stupid twists and turns off the tennis court,he had the very good sence to marry Steffi,a truly nice and sweet person.

This starts to sound like a funeral speech :(

Let´s hope he can leave on a high note!

Fumus
05-24-2005, 08:00 PM
huh? You are dodging what you orginally said which was that he hadn't won anything for awhile which is wrong. I see your point about possible retirement, and I also see your point about the nerve injury but you can't say he hasn't won big titles or beat top 10 players or posted good results since has had this injury because that just isn't true. He went out first round last year here and still managed to have reltively successful summer, winning a masters and semis at USO.

Domino
05-24-2005, 08:01 PM
huh? You are dodging what you orginally said which was that he hadn't won anything for awhile which is wrong. I see your point about possible retirement, and I also see your point about the nerve injury but you can't say he hasn't won big titles or beat top 10 players or posted good results since has had this injury because that just isn't true. He went out first round last year here and still managed to have reltively successful summer, winning a masters and semis at USO.

Quarters ;)

Fumus
05-24-2005, 08:05 PM
oh whatever, Domino, nice av!

You get my point.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 08:06 PM

take a look at what I have written

I said I dont want to see Agassi retire going out in Round ones
I would like to see him go out "on top" -- either winning something big, or if not, then perhaps losing deep into the draw.

And what is "a while"? A player of his ability has not won a tournament since last summer-- It's closing in on a year. I think everyone else in the Top 10 has gone on and won tourneys in that time, except him.

Now, with the news of his body failing him, his age not reducing and his admitted future dependence on medication to just be able to play, I am simply saying that I do not want to see this guy hobble out of tennis for ever in Round 1 of St Polten with a few spectators on hand. Hey, I'm on your side with Agassi! ;)

Fumus
05-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Well you know Roddick has won a major tourny in awhile either maybe he should retire. Hewitt hasn't won one either then. Gosh I could just go down the list of people who need to retire if that's the time span you are going by.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Well you know Roddick has won a major tourny in awhile either maybe he should retire. Hewitt hasn't won one either then. Gosh I could just go down the list of people who need to retire if that's the time span you are going by.

Perhaps you missed the several times I mentioned AGE and CORTISONE
Agassi has had a long, distinguished career. His body does not appear to be holding up as much as his spirit

Fumus
05-24-2005, 08:16 PM
yea, yea well if that's what you said in the first place I would agree.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 08:19 PM
yea, yea well if that's what you said in the first place I would agree.

yep....

1. There is no doubt he's got life and he's got game. But his lack of a title in a while, combined with this injury, and undoubtedly his advancing age, suggests he will be considering when/how to leave

2. Now, with the news of his body failing him, his age not reducing and his admitted future dependence on medication to just be able to play.... do not want to see this guy hobble out of tennis for ever in Round 1 of St Polten with a few spectators on hand.

Look I know how it feels to see your guy dissed and "retired out" by everyone and their mother (I am/was a staunch supporter of Pete's). So given how Pete got to walk off, I am hoping that agassi has the same opportunity

Fumus
05-24-2005, 08:23 PM
yea, I understand what you are saying, I know where you are coming from with that. I just think he has some life left yet and possibly a couple of suprises...(good ones...lol)

Dirk
05-24-2005, 08:28 PM
Andre is about done. That is why he signed up for DC because that was his only chance to end with a huge bright spot in his final year. Hewitt has been in the last two major finals losing to players that he should have lost too. Hewitt has nothing to be ashamed of nor Roddick. Their 04 was about as good as one could get apart from not winning a major.

alexito
05-24-2005, 08:30 PM
yearsssssssssssss I hear agassi retire, still play great tennis.

mitalidas
05-24-2005, 08:33 PM
yea, I understand what you are saying, I know where you are coming from with that. I just think he has some life left yet and possibly a couple of suprises...(good ones...lol)

Unfortunately some players are already forgetting what he has done in the recent past

"His career has been unbelieveable. He won tournaments in the early 1990s"

Jarkko Nieminen does his best to make Andre Agassi feel even older

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4572319.stm

Fumus
05-24-2005, 08:37 PM
haha...Jarkko knows alot about Agassi clearly.

Adman
05-24-2005, 08:50 PM
I'd say US Open, finish at 'home' so to speak. Don't think Andre is the type to announce it up front, he'll probably just play and then say it after his last match. Who knows, but he's earned the right to do it which ever way he wants. If he wants to do a farewell tour next year and lose in the first round of every tournament then so be it. I'd bet a lot of Tournament Directors would take that deal.

When Andre retires it will be a great loss to the game of tennis, losing such a great CHAMPION!!

BAMJ6
05-24-2005, 10:31 PM
Hmm, maybe if he gets rid of the French next year on his schedule, he'll have less to worry about. He lost the 1st round there last year and he still had a successful summer with the Cincy title and the USO epic against Roger

That said, he's not getting any younger and if his problems with his nerve/hip continue in 3 weeks (Wimbledon), he might as well retire after the USO so he can end his career in the top 10 of the ATP rankings.

Experimentee
05-25-2005, 03:52 AM
He shouldnt retire, as we've seen this year he's still a top player when healthy. As long as he gets the painkillers and the injections he can keep playing if he wants to.
There are a lot of other players who are struggling more, like Corretja, Guga, Costa, and they are still continuing.

Experimentee
05-25-2005, 03:55 AM
Unfortunately some players are already forgetting what he has done in the recent past

"His career has been unbelieveable. He won tournaments in the early 1990s"

Jarkko Nieminen does his best to make Andre Agassi feel even older

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/4572319.stm

LMAO :haha:

-ernie-
05-25-2005, 03:58 AM
He will try and seek another slam for the rest of the year, its evident that its all ending for him soon.

swellde
05-25-2005, 05:31 AM
It was really sad to hear this news. I'll hope for the best though. I think Agassi has made it pretty clear about when he will retire so we'll just have to wait and see. If he can recover with another injection and contend for major titles, who knows what he has left in him. I do tend to disagree with people who are saying that he will want to retire with a big win like Sampras did or something similar, because that would just make him feel like he's still one of the best in the world, and he's stated over and over that the time he hangs it up will be when his best isn't good enough anymore.
Hopefully he has a few more titles to add to his collection, but even if this is about the end of the line, even though I will hate to see it, I have a feeling Agassi will always be involved on some level with the game of tennis, which would be great to see.

Plastic Bertrand
05-25-2005, 05:35 AM
Agassi should retire when he feels like it and when he doesn't enjoy playing on the tour anymore, he doesn't have anything left to prove.

I♥PsY@Mus!c
05-25-2005, 05:43 AM
I support his decision if he wants to retire later on. :)

bad gambler
05-25-2005, 05:46 AM
he lost on dirt

come the HC swing he'll be back

YoursTruly
05-25-2005, 06:06 AM
This isn't a retirement issue, this is an injury/physical state issue. The retirement question is old now and it's not one to ask Andre. He's very different and has surprised everyone in different times of his career.