The French Crowd [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The French Crowd

Bonaventure
05-24-2005, 05:39 PM
I thought it was disgraceful towards the end of the Monfils match. Ok he played terribly and won only 4 games against Canas but he's 18 and its his first time at Roland Garros. Why boo him and completely ruin his confidence? I couldn't believe I was hearing some whistling and booing a the end. Disgusting :rolleyes:

Devotee
05-24-2005, 05:49 PM
Isn't the Roland Garros crowd known for turning on people, even their own nationalities?

Bonaventure
05-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Isn't the Roland Garros crowd known for turning on people, even their own nationalities?

Well they often get on people's backs when they throw racquet's and stuff, but I never thought it would get to the stage where they hassle their greatest hope

Chloe le Bopper
05-24-2005, 06:34 PM
This is hardly news. Devotee is correct.

Neely
05-24-2005, 06:48 PM
They booed him a bit, but they didn't boo him that badly. Just a few boos when he was hitting a bit too wildly towards the end of the match because he knew nothing else, no other strategy anymore against Canas who was usually a wall at the baseline and who hardly made any errors in the whole match.

Boos in Paris are the equivalent to what is at most other places a big crowd murmur :o LOL

Domino
05-24-2005, 07:08 PM
Hint: Henri Leconte

nermo
05-24-2005, 07:15 PM
They booed him a bit, but they didn't boo him that badly. Just a few boos when he was hitting a bit too wildly towards the end of the match because he knew nothing else, no other strategy anymore against Canas who was usually a wall at the baseline and who hardly made any errors in the whole match. posted by Neely

i agree.. :yeah: .there were only little booing thing..its kind of normal cuz they felt sorry for their player ,and for themselves..nothing too harmful..there have been more destructive times...

Off topic...Canas played perfectly :yeah: ..beautiful and most important :verrry determining ..it gives a good feeling :bigclap:

acdbx
05-24-2005, 07:18 PM
Well they often get on people's backs when they throw racquet's and stuff, but I never thought it would get to the stage where they hassle their greatest hope

greatest hope??
gasquet ring a bell?

NYCtennisfan
05-24-2005, 07:27 PM
Hint: Henri Leconte

Need any more be said? The crowd at RG can act like real a**holes sometimes. This kid is 18 years old and was as nevous as heck. I know spending ungodly amount of Euros on bottled water causes them to go into blackout death rages with a hint of of ennui but come on now, give the kid a break.

PaulieM
05-24-2005, 07:33 PM
monfils :hug: :hug:

Julio1974
05-24-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't really understand what these people are thinking about. Are they always great at what they do? Don't they have a single bad day at work? Weren't they never nervous at work? He is only 18 yrs old !!!!!!!!!!

Fee
05-24-2005, 08:17 PM
The RG crowds crack me up. They seem to be the best dressed slam crowds (by far), but their behavior is a bit odd. The USO crowds seem bored, the Wimbly crowds are proper and dress in wacky clothes, the Aussies are knowledgable and enthusiastic (but sometimes far too drunk I've been told). But I've only seen them on TV, so my observation is probably waaaaaay off.

Chloe le Bopper
05-24-2005, 08:27 PM
USO crowds aren't always bored. I was amused to watch them get all pumped up over Bobby Reynolds last year. :p

Besides - the USO crowds have those "net-head" people. Or do they go everywhere? The come to the Canadian tournament as well. Their purpose, if I'm not mistaken, is to root on the American players. At the Canadian tournament they used their downtime to root for some of the Canadians as well. You could hear them two courts over :lol:

Fee
05-24-2005, 08:29 PM
Yeah, netheads go to Davis Cup, Fed Cup, USO and a few other tournaments (mostly where they have a USTA connection). They are a crazy bunch, but I know some of the players really appreciate their support. Cool that they went to Canada, wonder if they are going this year?

Adman
05-24-2005, 08:39 PM

Yeah I think they are they are annoying sometimes. They don't think of the player(s) they were booing Roddick on a double fault near the end of his match, but to be fair Tsonga told or waved them to be quiet.